• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do qualifications matter?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Is self-taught skills in the here and now accepted as part of your skill set?
If I sing karaoke on Wednesday nights can I call myself a singer?
If I have a couple of blogs does that make me a blogger or even better a programmer?
How good does my cooking have to be to be considered a chef?
If I sell virtual goods once in a video game am I a professional gamer?
If I spent a month with no income other than my poker winnings am I a professional poker player?

I see people giving themselves titles. What is required for these titles.
If I eat in restaurants and run a blog and talk about how good or bad the food was am I a food critic?
I had a poem published once. Am I an author?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I only consider a person's title "real" if one of two things happen. #1 they have an official degree or certificate saying they have been trained in that subject, or #2 if they have been doing it for a really long time, 5+ years in most cases.

For internet stuff like blogs it's hard to judge it....but if they do it often I would consider them a blogger. Once a week often doesn't count, I mean like once a day or more often.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If we aren't in UHall does that mean that politics can come into play in this discussion as long as I don't become some frothing at the mouth obsessive?
Usually yes, if we go overboard someone eventually shows up to lock the thread, but usually the mods leave the off-topic area alone.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am pretty sure. *nods*

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I can demonstrate the ability to undertake a task that requires knowledge that isn't typically innate, and I would have had to study for in a classroom setting, or self-taught at home, then I would want to consider it a part of my skill set. Would I put it on an application or resume? Not likely because I'd only add educational degrees or certifications that can be proven with documentation. Rule number one in medical billing work can be applied here. If it's not documented, it didn't happen.

Can you carry a tune and stay on key through out the entire song? Congrats, you're a singer. You don't have to earn cash to sing to call yourself a singer.

If I have a couple of blogs does that make me a blogger or even better a programmer?
I would say it would make you a blogger, but not a programmer, unless you have programming skills that you use to create your own web/blog pages.

Depends on what you mean by 'chef'. Sous chef? Line Chef? Executive Chef? Or someone that only cooks for their family and friends? To hold the actual title requires a degree or certification at a culinary school.

I have always considered a 'professional gamer' as someone that is credited as a tester in the ending credits of a game. Not someone that runs a bot farming program to sell virtual goods.

If I spent a month with no income other than my poker winnings am I a professional poker player?
I would say...maybe? I would say yes only if you are planning to make a living on poker playing beyond the first month.

If I eat in restaurants and run a blog and talk about how good or bad the food was am I a food critic?
Yeah, I think so. If those that follow you call you a food critic, that's good enough.

Technically yes. Not everyone is Stephen King.

Last edited:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It all depends. I think we have come to rely on certifications and degrees entirely too much here in the good old US of A. In a lot of cases these assurances, ratings, technical certifications do more to protect the labor force in place than they allow for quality help and innovative thinking, and, there are some potential pitfalls there. But that is just in the very general sense.

If, on the other hand, as I am now thinking, you are working from within the world of HR, and you have people mislabeling themselves or inflating their expertise beyond reasonable levels, those are definitely things that should be addressed in an interview. If you don't get answers to your satisfaction, I would move on to the next candidate without explanation.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I considered myself a student at the university of life until I realised it was almost as pretentious as going to university, so I dropped out.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

I see people giving themselves titles. What is required for these titles.
To most of those questions I might reply, "Maybe" or "It depends..." Then I might recall a few certified Professional Educators I've known who left me wondering, "How in Hades did this person ever end up with a university degree?" Oh well...

Last edited: