• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Disscusion: What if all PVP was Moved to Factions?

Lord Sir Scott

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question/Thought is that: What if all PVP IN UO requires you to join A Faction?
I would love to hear from people on what there opinions in this matter would be.
Please Be detailed as you like but try to stay with in the topic,If at all possible hehe..
Disscuss...
Thank you for reading and responding to this message.
Lord Sir Scott

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Then I guess I'd have to give up PvP. Don't ever see myself joining a faction.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I see some good and and in it.

Felucca would revitalize overnight as people who did not want to be involved in PvP would be able to go there again and not worry about it.

By the same token, such things as double resources would have to be removed (which they should anyway, but that's another argument).

Conversely, you DO have a significant Fel population who love open PvP without being pushed into Factions or onto Siege that would be adversely affected.

The BIGGEST issue with shoehorning PvP into a certain system is that you HAVE to make that system enjoyable. You have to give reasons for people to want to be involved vs going out to PvP hot spots be it Deceit of old, Buc's Den, Yew Gate and so forth and fighting.

You'd have to give Factions the ability to shape the NPC towns and dungeons in Fel among other things.

In short, it's doable, but only with some HUGE changes and not without angering a section of the playerbase in the process.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is great because of the freedom of choice.
There's no need to force somebody to only have 4 choices of sides just because they enjoy PvP.

D

D'Amavir

The question/Thought is that: What if all PVP IN UO requires you to join A Faction?
I would love to hear from people on what there opinions in this matter would be.
Please Be detailed as you like but try to stay with in the topic,If at all possible hehe..
Disscuss...
Thank you for reading and responding to this message.
Lord Sir Scott
If would be fatal blow to many guilds in Trammel. PVP, while not the main focus at all, is an important part of RP guilds and their interactions with other guilds. Not all RP guilds would 'fit' into any of the factions, so they would be unable to pvp which would make their 'wars' pretty much a non entity.

Also, many of the RP guilds are made up of a variety of 'character types'. That doesn't mean different skill templates, but actual types. Different backgrounds, different goals, different wants, etc... So, even if their GM thinks a certain faction fits in with his character, it doesn't mean that all the characters in his guild would also fit. A prime example are those guilds that are set up as 'kingdoms' or even as 'town' guilds. While the mages in the guild would fit in fine with something like the Council of Mages, the assassins and rogues that live in the kingdom or town, may not. The paladins may fit in with the True Britannian's while the mages may not.

As with anything, options are important. Variety is important. Limiting any one playstyle takes away those options which,eventually, leads to boredom and players leaving for something offering more options.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a problem with this idea. Majority rule in factions, such as one big faction against a couple tiny factions. Due to small population on most shards, there is absolutely no reason to have 4 factions. It would be better with just 2 factions IMO.

But the main reason I do not do factions anymore, is because of the stat-loss/wait to be able to fight again. I tried factions not long ago, ran around trying to find someone, and later on I run into 1 person, an archer/tamer. Dismounted and the pet finishes me off. So then I had to wait a approx 15min or whatever the long wait time is just to go back and find that one person again.

I understand the reason for stat-loss, but it is still kind of ridiculous to have to wait that long, especially now that population is so low. And if PvP were to be moved to factions only, I would probably just stop PvPing. I don't want to have to wait 15min, or even 10 minutes to be able to get back in.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only if one of the factions was "independant".

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm, well my main character's guild would be able to ally with one of the factions, and I'd happily do so.

My other guild RPs, and we're neutral. So I wouldn't pick one faction over another there, but I still like to have the option of PvPing to sort out any disputes in town either RP or non-RP based. So I prefer the option of faction or non-faction PvP. Not every character or guild would ally with one of the four factions, and players should be allowed to be neutral in a battle area.

Wenchy

5% Luck

Youve got trammel already you WANT MORE!

@#$#%@##$ YOU!

G

Gellor

Sure... and then go and tie ALL the current Fel bonuses to factions only or turn them off:
- champs, yup, faction only
- double resources, yup, turn it off entirely
- push through, add it everywhere

Plus, EA might as well close ALL the fel servers because they wouldn't be needed... need to save the money of running a ton of servers.

In other words, no. Might as well start merging servers or cancel UO entirely because they would force out a good portion of their customer base.