• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discussion - Shard Mage Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I would like to discuss the possibility of a shard Mage Tower. Perhaps built in Trammel Moonglow. There is a Tower of Souls in Felucca located north of Aryslan, usable by everyone and owned by the Mesanna.. So why not a Mage tower for the good guys that is usable by everyone and owned by the EMs/Mesanna.

I would like to put this proposal forward at the next Summit meeting but wanted to have a general hammered out idea created by all of us.

T

Tazar

Atlantic opted to create a new vision so that the true history of the Atlantic Mage Tower would not be changed. Hopefully the true Mage Tower will live on in Felucca, while the new Atlantic Community Center in Trammel will be a place for players to gather for events and interaction.

D

DJ Sandman

I agree!!

Any time we can get the EMs to fill more story line with any kind of buildings it helps the game in a big way. If this works on Chessy the other shards need to follow in Chessy's foot steps:thumbup1:

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Atlantic opted to create a new vision so that the true history of the Atlantic Mage Tower would not be changed. Hopefully the true Mage Tower will live on in Felucca, while the new Atlantic Community Center in Trammel will be a place for players to gather for events and interaction.
Well we don't have a true Chesapeake Mage Tower. PaxLair has a PaxLair Mage and Necro tower but alas our shard lacks a community Mage Tower. I am however not against the Atlantic vision because that looks really nice.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well we don't have a true Chesapeake Mage Tower. PaxLair has a PaxLair Mage and Necro tower but alas our shard lacks a community Mage Tower. I am however not against the Atlantic vision because that looks really nice.
Same here. I read that and wanted to immediately take their idea, lol. Sure beats starting over on another shard, after over a decade on another.

T

Tiger Lily

I only see positives coming from building a mage tower. If there is negatives..then those who dont agree should speak up.

G

Gunga_Din

should just put a community center like atlantic's proposal on all shards.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Well we have a Skara Brae community center don't we?

J

Jamlyn

Got news for ya, as everyone knows the Tower of Souls is for everyone and the shard already. There is no reason to even have another.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I fixed the original post Jam. I meant to use the tower as an example of being for everyone and why we should have a Chesapeake Mage Tower that is also for everyone.

(Sometimes my head goes faster then my fingers)

blueturtle

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When did mesanna re-do the mage tower?? i remember this place and arylan from when i first started uo, so many good times...

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are wees allowing the EM's and Mesanna take over our free thinking? Seems EM event after EM event.I rp a fair amount but is it becoming hards to do sum times.To many events and meetings ina week. Oz bees tired. Is funs to bees with others but sumtimes meeting overwhelms me and mees butt falls asleeps.

Ozog

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
sworry wrong thread. plus it loos like Ozog and family may needs uo times out

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Seems EM event after EM event.I rp a fair amount but is it becoming hards to do sum times.To many events and meetings ina week. Oz bees tired. Is funs to bees with others but sumtimes meeting overwhelms me and mees butt falls asleeps.

Ozog
It is hard and I'm about at the end of my creative juices. Not because I am running out of ideas but because it is pointless. There is no point for townships to hold events or be unique, there is no room for it. Townships just walk in and take over a storyline that others have put hours upon hours of work into. They don't care and everything is so regulated and this way or no way. You have to do this through the Crown and that through the Crown. The Imperium always has to go OOC to even partake. I begin to wonder what happened to our EMs. It feels like someone came in during the middle of the night and switch bodies with them. When you take everything and regulate it, make it so real that you are now a dictator, very few want to partake in the townships or RP. If everyone wanted to be dictated to and deal with a completely real government we would go outside and get into the political race.

I still think a Shard Mage Tower is a good idea and hope the future holds some changes in the way townships are handled.

J

Jamlyn

"Not because I am running out of ideas but because it is pointless. There is no point for townships to hold events or be unique, there is no room for it."

I disagree with you as there is every point to hold events and to be unique. What you do as a township has an effect on other townships with a relationship that grows every week. Not only that, but it also gives your community a sense of identity, and you do not need any GM's or EM's to help you out.

"Townships just walk in and take over a storyline that others have put hours upon hours of work into."

You must realize that if you bring a story into a game that is a massive multi player experience, you are going to have others who were not originally intended for a story you created, to interact and be part of it whether you like it or not. That is what makes this game so great, it is the unexpected things that can happen. No story should ever be scripted like watching a movie.

"If everyone wanted to be dictated to and deal with a completely real government we would go outside and get into the political race."

What the EM's have done for all of us is create in in game system, call if government or whatever, to interact with. This system works great in my opinion having it seem political gives every township a chance to show their true colors, or hidden agendas eventually, to all other townships and creates a wonderful role playing experience.

"I still think a Shard Mage Tower is a good idea and hope the future holds some changes in the way townships are handled."

I am sure others are not completely happy with the way the EM's run things, but your never going to please everyone. I am just happy the system is implemented and we have such great EM's to help us all build the history on our great server.

As for the shard mage tower I am interested to know just what everyone else thinks like you have stated, however I must say again that we all do have a tower already, and that is the Tower of Souls.

I honestly do not think most of the people that play this game now realize what kind of loss it was when the Seer program ended. To me, it felt like half of the games content was taken away from me. I think some of us need to be more grateful for the time and effort the UO staff does for everyone in UO.

S

Silvermoonbeam

I have read over the posts and I am not sure why we need another tower when we already have one for public use. the EM'S are there to enhance our playing enjoyment not take away and if you feel they are then that should be voiced to them.

T

Tiger Lily

I personaly think a TRAM side Mage Tower, something that is easy to get to, or a community center of some sort is a good idea and can only better the RP or NON RP Events on the Shard.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jamlyn,

There is a majority of the population on most shards that will never set foot in Felucca.
In case you doubt that, just recall around to various cities, dungeons, and player constructed towns around felucca and you will understand. While some like yourself and the occassional EMs may try to make felucca more active. The fact still remains most people spend their time in trammel. It stands to reason a Mage Tower in trammel could potentially attract more attendence for RP and non-RP events than one in Felucca.

J

Jamlyn

Jamlyn,

There is a majority of the population on most shards that will never set foot in Felucca.
In case you doubt that, just recall around to various cities, dungeons, and player constructed towns around felucca and you will understand. While some like yourself and the occassional EMs may try to make felucca more active. The fact still remains most people spend their time in trammel. It stands to reason a Mage Tower in trammel could potentially attract more attendence for RP and non-RP events than one in Felucca.
Lady Cat,

Your thoughts on the topic are correct I would assume for the population. In fact, it seems as if Malas has the most attendance. I will continue to try and push to show people on our shard that Felucca is not as bad as people make it out to be. But the idea of a Mage Tower in Trammel certainly is not a bad one. Perhaps it could be used for an entirely different way, I dont know. What I do know is I think people need to concentrate on what we already have, and improve it best we can.

N

Nastia Cross

While I like the prospect of the EMs and Mesanna enhancing our shard, I do feel that we should also celebrate its wonderful history. It is sad that many people have never seen such places as the Mage Tower (I personally only came across it through the township teleporters last week).

Building another structure is all well and good, but what makes these places worthwhile is the people around who enrich the experience. I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but creating another building isn't going to do much unless there are people making a concerted effort to attract others. As most of us know, this can be a tough thing to maintain.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jamlyn,

I agree, if a group wishes to concentrate on what they already have that is a fair decision for them to pursue.

But I guess I would caution against a general statement imposing that on other groups. Many groups or players have had the opportunity for many years to develop rich histories and enhancements to their towns over the years and that is great.

But we need to remember there are many different players, groups, play styles on a given shard. Some groups may not care at all about anothers guild, history, playstyle, etc.

But these new or different groups deserve the same attention, resources and development from EMs as any other group. We need to becareful not to fall into a trap of denying others THEIR dreams because ours are fulfilled.

G

Gunga_Din

I'm gonna lay waste to all your towns with my Army of Harbingers !!! mu ha ha !!

On a serious note, if a trammel mage tower was built, what would u do with it? hmmmm? Like a post above stated. It takes more than just building it. You have to use it !! In the past I believe the mage towers were used for training mages, Roleplay and helping people learn the game. It was needed more in the early days than it would now.

Unless your gonna have mages man the tower and use it for set things, there is zero point to putting up another empty structure.

I remember a mage tower on ice island, but that about it on chessy. It wasn't blessed like on some of the other shards , maybe player run. Some of the other shards have more history with their mage towers, thus they are trying to resurrect them.

N

Nastia Cross

Jamlyn,

I agree, if a group wishes to concentrate on what they already have that is a fair decision for them to pursue.

But I guess I would caution against a general statement imposing that on other groups. Many groups or players have had the opportunity for many years to develop rich histories and enhancements to their towns over the years and that is great.

But we need to remember there are many different players, groups, play styles on a given shard. Some groups may not care at all about anothers guild, history, playstyle, etc.

But these new or different groups deserve the same attention, resources and development from EMs as any other group. We need to becareful not to fall into a trap of denying others THEIR dreams because ours are fulfilled.
I completely understand what you're saying here. Everyone wants to carve out their own little niche on our shard. But the new people should be willing to put in the time and effort it takes to build something great. The EMs and Mesanna have been very willing to take an idea and run with it as long as they have the support of the players. Not everyone is going to agree on everything, but for something as big as what is being proposed here, a general consensus and support from the populace should be expected. Like I said before, a building has little meaning without the players to give it one. That being said, I am the last person that would want to deny someone their dreams.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are so many different buildings in all the Sosarian cities. Why have a new one built when one of those could just have some alterations made to them to suit whatever purpose. It would be nice to see people in the cities again. And as has been stated, it's going to need people and a purpose more than decorations anyway.

Elijah Cross

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are so many different buildings in all the Sosarian cities. Why have a new one built when one of those could just have some alterations made to them to suit whatever purpose. It would be nice to see people in the cities again. And as has been stated, it's going to need people and a purpose more than decorations anyway.
You know, that's an excellent point! Look at the cities we already have, take Trinsic for example. Why not use pre-existing buildings there or in some other city, maybe requesting some alterations where needed as Ashlynn mentioned. I myself am very partial to Trinsic of course, being a paladin from Trinsic. I have recently been dreaming of somehow bringing some use to that beautiful city again. It seems such an awful waste to have cities such as this getting absolutely no use whatsoever! (Trinsic has the huge meeting hall, the enormous barracks complex, the docks and much, much more - a shame it's all going to waste - just a shame to see the city of Honor and Paladins like this).

Perhaps this may be a route to explore?

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
This thread is being moved to the EM Forums as requested by EM Dudley. This is so the EMs can reply to the discussion since they cannot on the Chesapeake Shard Forums. There will be a redirect link left on the Chesapeake Shard Forum

N

Nastia Cross

You know, that's an excellent point! Look at the cities we already have, take Trinsic for example. Why not use pre-existing buildings there or in some other city, maybe requesting some alterations where needed as Ashlynn mentioned. I myself am very partial to Trinsic of course, being a paladin from Trinsic. I have recently been dreaming of somehow bringing some use to that beautiful city again. It seems such an awful waste to have cities such as this getting absolutely no use whatsoever! (Trinsic has the huge meeting hall, the enormous barracks complex, the docks and much, much more - a shame it's all going to waste - just a shame to see the city of Honor and Paladins like this).

Perhaps this may be a route to explore?
Keep your hands off Fel Trinsic you fake Cross you!! j/k :lol:

I completely agree with this though. A community center would be a great thing for the shard, especially if there was a teleporter to the center directly from Luna. Let's repopulate the towns and do a little redesign on some of these empty buildings.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to Gareth for moving the thread over here, as I didn't want to miss out on this discussion :)

Before anything new is built, there needs to be a justifiable need for it. I don't think I'm alone, as a few people have mentioned, in not wanting anymore empty buildings to run around in. My point is, if you want to request something to be built, let's make it something we are going to use and be multi-purpose.

Take the Fair for example. We make a point to use the fair at least once monthly when we can, and that is super easy to do because of the versatility of the design.

I noticed a lot of you like to see buildings that are empty get a bit of a face lift...guess what, me too! Not sure if anyone has visited the Meeting Hall in Trinny recently, but it's been getting a bit of attention as it is the home to the Royal Surveyor's Office.

I'd like to here other ideas for areas you all think can be developed, keep in mind the fact that the booster is on the horizon and you all know I'm already crazy about the sea...so go on, brainstorm away!

Elijah Cross

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if anyone has visited the Meeting Hall in Trinny recently, but it's been getting a bit of attention as it is the home to the Royal Surveyor's Office.
Actually, yes! It looks great Dudley! I love Trinsic. I've got the gears a turnin' for any kind of ideas...although I think I'm going to need to buy some WD-40!

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to here other ideas for areas you all think can be developed, keep in mind the fact that the booster is on the horizon and you all know I'm already crazy about the sea...so go on, brainstorm away!
A few little things to stumble across in the middle of the ocean might be fun. a few floating platforms or a shipwreck on a reef or something. Don't tell anyone about it and it'll be a nice surprise when people do find it. I say this because while the devs are giving us new boats and that island from LOST, they are not giving us a great deal to chart in those uncharted waters.

But back to a community building related thing. Maybe something that will bring one of the existing town harbours alive. I know we will have sea market and stuff, but it would be great if one of the existing town ports got some love. Trinsic docks are nice and big and there's the Sons of the Sea and a big empty square beside it, so there is plenty of space for something.

On a side note, Tokuno lacks a proper port. Zento doesn't even have a proper pier despite having harbourmasters or whatever!

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
we need to reserect the cities we have they are empty. mebe a mimax/junor thing in trinny again. that arc lasted over a month. maybe orks take over cove.cities need poupulation!!!

ozog

nice being an goblin i don't habe tos spell gooos

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
mebe every township,city etc. could adopt a city to make their home town. launch thier events, hang out there etc??/

G

Gowron

OK, I'll drop my dime in the jukebox to hear the tune I want to hear, and I'll share a few thoughts as well.

There is no need for another Mage Tower. PaxLair has had one for a long time, it's open to the public, and is available.

If you want to have value in the player run communities that have sprung up, then those in Fel deserve patronage and recognition as well.

I like Ozog's recomendation of player run towns adopting a city. I think there are enough to go around. Also, I think there are an unlimited amount of story arcs that can occur from this.

I'm not certain of the underlying reason for this thread to create something "new", but I think it's time for the player base to put what has been given to us to better use.

Things to consider:
Townships collaborating on quests (or opposition to for that matter): Put those loyal, neutral, disloyal to the crown allegiances to work.
Establish crafting specialties within the town: Do something with trade that goes beyond vendors and auctions...implement trade caravans.
Limited/Open Conflict: It happens from time to time and with varying and competing RP interests, shouldn't be that hard to have those story lines.

I'm rather disappointed that this township concept has denegrated into more of a status symbol for some rather than the intended use of generating community interests and enhanced game play.

Well, the song is over, and I need to get more dimes.

G

Gowron

Found a dime.

One thing that does need to be implemented is the ability to sail from Britannia to Tokuno much like sailing from Britannia to the Lost Lands and back.

W

Walker D. Plank

A few little things to stumble across in the middle of the ocean might be fun.

Ye could be stumblin across me if ye landlubbers ever be leavin yer soil. This xpack goin be mighty borin with out ye good o pirates. None of ye be willin to join yer cap'n.

Ye needin be getin the population out of malas and back in ye real world.

Ye populus be gatherin in ye tiny little luna room to hadle affairs. this be renderin ye other towns useless.

Maybe ye should think about endin ye ease of acess to services in luna.

I remember ye good old days when yer cap'n be waitin in line at ye brit smithy shop. stripin to me birthday suit an handin me gear over to ye smith fer repairs.

Luna be the death of yer interactions with people and why ye cap'n turned to de sea.

I basicly be sayin unless luna be chagin then ye towns of old be remain de ghost they be today. No mater what ye be doin to revitalize um.

Cap'n

J

Jamlyn

Ye could be stumblin across me if ye landlubbers ever be leavin yer soil. This xpack goin be mighty borin with out ye good o pirates. None of ye be willin to join yer cap'n.

Ye needin be getin the population out of malas and back in ye real world.

Ye populus be gatherin in ye tiny little luna room to hadle affairs. this be renderin ye other towns useless.

Maybe ye should think about endin ye ease of acess to services in luna.

I remember ye good old days when yer cap'n be waitin in line at ye brit smithy shop. stripin to me birthday suit an handin me gear over to ye smith fer repairs.

Luna be the death of yer interactions with people and why ye cap'n turned to de sea.

I basicly be sayin unless luna be chagin then ye towns of old be remain de ghost they be today. No mater what ye be doin to revitalize um.

Cap'n
The Cap'n is right, I could not have said it better myself. Another thing that also poses a problem is the towns in Felucca, which are now used for Factions. I for one do not want to take any Trammel town upon Aryslan. It needs to be a Felucca town, and I do not think townships should interfere with the faction system.

Ozog has a great idea, but I really do not think it would ever work out.

Ashlynn and Gowron had some great ideas. I rather like the idea of sailing to other facets. And Paxlair's mage Tower is indeed certified as a tower for the sever, it has been there forever.

And Dudley, thank you for putting your word in on this, glad everyone has been thinking about it.

I will continue to press forward with the Tower of Souls being a place for all communities to host events at, as well as contribute to its history and story. There are others that will also continue to help out with this as well.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
There is no need for another Mage Tower. PaxLair has had one for a long time, it's open to the public, and is available.

Well here is to stepping into the firing squad.

It is called the PaxLair Mage Tower where the Governor of PaxLair has his office *locked* and the Mayor of PaxLair cities office, It also holds the PaxLair library which clearly states "
All books in this library are PaxLair City specific. Thus, all books are either written by actual PaxLair City citizens, or they are written on the subject of PaxLair City itself."

It may be open to the public but it follows the PaxLair Statehood Laws and is owned by a player and only certain people are friends of it. I am rather sure it is the capital building of the PaxLair Statehood.
IT may have been there forever but the opportunity PaxLair had back then was never given again until now. What I am requesting is a Shard Mage Tower. Not a city specific Mage Tower that has the stamp of a specific group.

The Shard Mage Tower would be like the opposite of the Tower of Souls. That tower seems to fall into area of a Necromancer tower in my opinion. OR "The Evil Ones" tower.
Yes it is within the boarders of Aryslan city but it is not owned or claimed by any town it is owned by Mesanna.

The tower I think would make a great Shard Mage tower would be the one in Britain. Its already a tower and has enough room to make additions.

Second floor

Balandar's Office -
Perhaps the office for the Headmaster. You could go there and request to attend a Magery class. (If the EMs have the time or the interest) Something simple like studying the basics of Magery, casting level 8 spells and maybe a Final test to write their own Spell, which is put in the archives. For completeing the class (Again if the EMs are interested and Mesanna approves the item) a little blank scroll stating you have completed the "Balandar's School of Magery and reached the level of Grandmaster Mage."

Magery Archives -
A place for the EMs to put written spells etc in. For example it would be a good place for the Alchemical Devastation Books.

Training Room -
Where Balandar would hold a magery class (When time is available) and the mages of the realm could attend and complete the required magery course.

Roof -
Whatever decorations EM Dudley, Drosselmeyer and Mesanna can come up with and or suggestions from the community. I personally would assume the roof would have something powerful and magical on top.

Entrance
The sign wouldn't have to change. We could just add another sign to the right side that is the color of Balandars robe. The entrance is already a grand entrance but perhaps some fire and glowing runes added. Townships could donate braziers and glowing runes etc to help create the Mage Tower.

Chesapeake Shard Mage Tower - Created for the Chesapeake community, by the Chesapeake community.

and that phrase includes the EMs and Mesanna because they are apart of the Chesapeake Community....and you know they will make it able to be seen all the way from Umbra!

So those are some of my ideas. I am sure I will have more. Somewhere my creative juices began to flow.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't help but think something like that would just go unused and empty whenever the EMs aren't doing something there in contrast to something more expansive like that Atlantic proposal.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Well I guess that depends on how you look at things. Some may see the proposal as a threat, some may think its useless, some may find the most uses possible for it.

However I am not an idiot. I know things that I propose will always be shot down by the same people. To be honest I knew this thread would turn into a PaxLair Mage tower debate and I already know its about to get tared and feathered. But what I am not asking is for the EMs or Mesanna to come over and special bless our buildings or towns. As for the PaxLair Mage tower the responses make it sound like were getting rid of it. The PaxLair Mage tower will be used the same way. By Pax and Aryslan and the Shard Mage tower can be used by everyone and anyone.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I look at the Skara Brae Community Centre and the Britain Counsellors Guild Place Thing and they have been richly decorated but never really see any use unless the EMs drag people there. (Individual guild meetings aside, but the hall in Skara Brae isn't overburdened with reservations).

So I think that would just happen. The Britain Mage Guild would get a nice facelift (that's cool) but it would just lie empty most of the time. Which is what I thought most people wanted to avoid with any new community project.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Well I look at the Skara Brae Community Centre and the Britain Counsellors Guild Place Thing and they have been richly decorated but never really see any use unless the EMs drag people there. (Individual guild meetings aside, but the hall in Skara Brae isn't overburdened with reservations).

So I think that would just happen. The Britain Mage Guild would get a nice facelift (that's cool) but it would just lie empty most of the time. Which is what I thought most people wanted to avoid with any new community project.
The EM hall still gets used but it has like no RP meaning to it. The Skara Brae community center has no RP meaning to it either. Also wasnt that community center done by someone else?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since everyone else has chimed in here's my two cents worth.

1.I think the idea for a shard wide EM run player independent mage tower to be a wonderful idea.
2.I think this is about new things not arguing about history.
3.If we don't add new things we will continue to lose people and someday all this will be nothing more then a memory.

That being said I think this is a case of one person saying one thing and things being misinterpreted first I used to play back in the late 90's and those times were great. I left the game and returned a few years ago. Let me tell you what I found, one there was housing in trammel, some place called Tokuno, Malas, and a whole bunch of new skills. These things hurt the history that was there in the 90's. You know what it did help out big time though as I doubt many would still be around if not for the changes (classic shard fans feel free to kill me now). I love to visit fel as it brings back memories, but not all the memories are pleasant. We need to add new things, if we are not using the things we have that's our fault, but new things don't necessarily cause old things to drop off. Furthermore I think it is not appropriate for any shard wide site to be privately held. This allows the owner to dictate to the entire shard which leads to problems. Now I like the idea of a shard mage tower, but with all deference to Gareth why have a whole tower dedicated to boorish mages. I like the idea of a tower of learning. Put books an art area, a performance space, a mage area and how about an area for bards (they get so little love nowadays). I think that this would make a wonderful addition to Moonglow. It might not be a bad idea to spruce up the lyceum (come on how many people use that... well ever?) Also I think its important for us all to remember that shard history is not town history. Shard history belongs to Mesanna and is totally public. Town history belongs to the people that own it. The reason that I say this is, with all due respect, some of the biggest history of this shard came about due to township wars. The USN would be nothing if not for the Red Dagger Pirates (among others [PLEASE PM IF YOU WERE THE OTHERS]). Who remembers Paxlair City and the werewolves, orcs, wraiths? These were wonderful things that maybe someday we will be able to once again figure out how to do with things the way they are now (THANKS TO THE USN AND NEW PIRATES). If this were the case with a shard wide resource in a township, well that would cut off one faction from it, which is not really fair to that faction. I think by creating these new things for everyone we can start moving forward with a new and broader more democratic history by allowing new things without so much of the old rules. History is important to remember and to learn from, but we should not let our love of the past dictate our present. That being said lets all work together to find ways to support the USN and the pirates that are going to try and recreate some real fun on the high seas!:gun:

J

Jamlyn

I think Ashlynn makes some very valid points here. I extend a little more on this topic, I wanted to put some of my own ideas, as well as others I had found out last night, on the board.

While I was hosting the new show "The Sosarian" on Whispering Rose Radio last night, DJ Sandman and I had a very interesting conversation near the end of the show. It ties in directly, in my opinion, as to what we all have been discussing here, however will go off topic a little as well.

In spirit of the Producers coming out with these "Boosters" why dont we try to implement the ideas for this mage tower, into something everyone on every shard can benefit from.

We all want the towns of Trammel and Felucca populated once again. Even if they got to be close to their former glory. The best way to bring players back into these towns, is to rent them out. I realized after mentioning this last night, that others have done the same in the past, such as Phoenix of Dragons Watch. The buildings can be rented out by players. If you had the magery skill for example, you could rent out the mage building for a certain fee, lasting a certain amount of time.

In Felucca there could be a little twist. Whichever town was owned by a faction, perhaps that town could also get a monster or npc spawn inside the town, which would be associated with that town. There are many mobiles that could easily be associated with a certain faction. This would signify that not only does your faction own that town, but the denizens of Sosaria (npcs) also have a place to call home. These npcs would not attack the faction members who own the town, but would attack everyone else. This could also get players involved who arent even in the faction wars. It could bring people back to Felucca towns and not worry about being pked, as they would be in guard zones.

Again I was a bit off topic, but wanted to throw it out there. As for Gareth's idea of a Mage Tower in Britain, I think that building you chose is sound.

"However I am not an idiot. I know things that I propose will always be shot down by the same people. To be honest I knew this thread would turn into a PaxLair Mage tower debate and I already know its about to get tared and feathered. But what I am not asking is for the EMs or Mesanna to come over and special bless our buildings or towns. As for the PaxLair Mage tower the responses make it sound like were getting rid of it. The PaxLair Mage tower will be used the same way. By Pax and Aryslan and the Shard Mage tower can be used by everyone and anyone."

I dont see anyone shooting your idea down entirely here, as we are all having a good discussion about it. I realize that the 10 year anniversary of the Tower of Souls must have brought up this topic. I do not see it as a debate about the Paxlair Tower at all, it has simply been mentioned, as many other places have. Paxlair's Tower is no different in this discussion as any place else.

In the end as Dudley mentioned, we do not want any more empty buildings to run around in. Your idea about getting the EM's storyline involved into the building is sound. But for how long will it last, before it turns out like all the rest of the NPC buildings? If there was a booster that incorporated the ideas put on this board with player involvement, there would be no more empty, barren buildings in the old towns. In fact, it could bring an entirely new aspect to the economy of UO.

G

Gowron

Gareth,

Usually, you have some interesting visions and ideas to bring to the Chessy table, so this is not a personal attack on you, nor is it an automatic slash or thumbs down to your idea.

I'm not totally opposed to your idea, but you have failed to provide the "Why" factor. I get that you want to have something that everyone can use, though I'll have to scope the PaxLair Mage Tower to see what I can and what I cannot access.

The EM has expressed this, and he has my concurrence. There is no need to create another building that will go unused. The EM's have already provided several "features" to player run towns merely on the virtue that they declare them towns and that there is periodic presence at the Township Summit, which several of the ones I've been to have been little more than "I have a banner and a teleporter, thus I shall show up." Only about half the towns provide the community any kind of activity beyond the infamous auctions.

I guess what the points need to be made is:

1. What will be the purpose beyond "everyone can use it"? What will it be used for, specifically?
2. I'm tired of the "gimme gimme" crap. What do you propose should be accomplished as a community to gain this right and benefit?
3. How is it going to be different from the PaxLair Mage Tower or Aryslan's Tower of Souls?

Until these questions are addressed to my satisfaction as well as others, I see no need for it.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing something along the lines of what Gareth has proposed is definitely a lot easier than building something entirely new.

In our discussions of the not-so-distant future there has always been the idea of starting a series of events that are profession based. It's a pretty classic RPG mechanic...basically you go to whatever group you want to join (Mages Collective, Thieves Guild, Warrior's Guild etc etc) and ask them for membership, you then are given a series of tasks you must complete in order to gain membership. It's essentially what we are doing with the Livery additions.

Along those same lines, mage towers, naval academies, rogue encampments can all be attained using that same mechanic. My point is that if we just build it and it's there, well ya it's fun to play with, but just like any kid with a new toy...it quickly gets replaced by the next best thing.

What would REALLY be exciting is something along these lines...

Balandar gently blew across the candle and watched as the flame flickered and then extinguished. Hours of study had made him especially groggy this eve and he was anxious for a relaxing slumber. He fluffed his pillow once and pulled the soft blanket over him. He was enveloped in its warmth and he quickly drifted off into the land of nod. He began to dream of his days as a mere apprentice, twisting and manipulating the arcane arts in effort to master them. He remembered the assistance of his mentors and how crucial their tutelage had been on his quest to fully master the powers of alchemy. It had been years since the Collective had been disbanded, for the people of Sosaria fully knew the danger of the Arcane and for that reason had demanded disbanding the collective. Before he knew it day was upon him and he awoke to the scent of a fresh dew. Balandar yawned and wearily pulled himself out of bed. He shuffled off into his den eventually finding himself staring at the door. He pulled it open prepared to collect the days post when he was suprised to see a young man standing there. My this was odd he thought. Slightly still in a state of half attention he managed to get out a few interrogative words, "Who are you and why are you standing on my mail?" The young man, looking slightly paltry and in dire need of a new robe began questioning Balandar, inquiring into the Arcane and it's origins. The conversation continued over breakfast and before long it was midday. My how time slips away when indulged in talk of the trade. It was then Balandar realized what the dream had meant and why this young man had made the journey to his Moonglow Estate. He scanned his bookshelf stopping at book, bound in rich leather with gilded accents. The title, in the most beautiful script, read: "The Mages Collective By-Laws and Protocols." He dropped the book on the table, slid it in front of this young stranger, looked at him squarely and began, "The task of rebuilding the collective will be a great one, but it must start somewhere. Let us begin..."

And there is an example of how the story would start. From there Quests would be offered to everyone interested with the final result being the reconstruction of the Mages Collective, or whatever we want to call it. We can do this with just about any profession and tailor the story to suit our needs. What I really like about this is it is something the entire shard can get behind if they so choose with the reward being something for everyone.

N

Nastia Cross

Ultimately it comes down to people. History is made by people not places. We may recall those places fondly but that is only because of the people we knew and experiences we had there.

The idea for a community center where players and the EMs can help others, especially new characters, is a very good one. But who will step up and run it?

We could ask the members of the townships to take turns running the place, but that's alot to ask of townships, especially the smaller ones, that are already busy doing their own events and things. We could ask the EMs to host events there, but between the Hall of Commons meetings, the Township meetings and the other events they host, its asking alot of them as well.

Also, its very hard to keep these kinds of things civil and neutral. If one group steps up to take responsibility, others may completely avoid the project for whatever reason. We've already seen what influence in-fighting has on people and events. Unfortunately that is the truth about politics in general.

On the other hand, I don't want to completely scuttle the idea entirely. While I am hesitant to involve the crown, that may be the only way to get this done. If all the townships agreed to take one night every other week or even one night a month (smaller townships could band together and host a joint event), there would be a reason to have the Community Center. This could be a mere relocation of an event you already host or a proposal submitted to the crown for a new event that you wish to host. Linking the Community Center to a prominent place that is frequently visited, like Luna Bank, would almost guarantee some traffic.

Also, the Community Center would be a great place for the township teleport hub. I know it is currently located outside of Luna across from the Fairground, but if it is included in the new Community Center, say in a garden type setting, it would certainly generate more visitors. Obviously the size of each teleporter setup would have to be decreased somewhat.

Again, people give a place meaning. If we want something great, we must come up with the reason and breathe life into it. The Atlantic Community Center is a great thing but we aren't Atlantic. We're Chesapeake. Let's make a Community Center that is unique and useful for us.

N

Nyx_

I rarely jump on these boards to post, but I think that each town was built to accommodate the masses. The question is where have the masses of players gone. I understand that we have Fel, Tram, Malas, Illsh, Toko, and now Ter Mur, but we have lost so many players over the years that making any sort of special banner, or town will not bring the players back.

I think that each of the towns like Skara and Cove need an overhaul. I would like to see each player ran town, adopt a town and work one on one with Mesanna to spice up the old towns. I mean Cove finally after many years got a much needed bank within its walls, but still no moongate inside the walls. Skara is filled with many different NPCs, yet no one is ever there and the buildings are all brown! I have heard so many people comment that they do not like going to Skara because everything looks the same and it is hard to learn. Vesper is another place that is so scattered about and rarely used. When Luna was created with all shops centered around the bank it took over the need for other towns. We all need to face the fact that we have hundreds of empty buildings on this game in every town. The factions do nothing with their points except run them up on each other, why not make it mandatory for the factions to donate points to add items to the Fel towns? Like maybe an all red NPC town where red players can ress a pet, or buy resources? All player towns want stables, banks, and shops that are meant to be in a city, then we should adopt an old town or city. For the sake of making this easy I am going to use a bank as an example. Instead of giving the Town of Cimmerian Pass a bank that is attached to someone home, make a box at the banner and when clicked on it telly's you to the city or town that Cimmerian Pass oversees, like Skara. If the player ran towns want these privledges, make them hang out in these town or in their own town instead of everyone at Luna. Set up a resource box at each town bank and let the player run towns choose a town to add items to. Have a points system like the vesper museum or library for benches, trees, fountains and make these items deeds usable only by Mesanna. Like 50,000 regular boards could get a Skara Brae a bench for the bank or a trash barrel.

As for a community mage tower, I like the idea, but I also do not think that we as a community will not benefit from it unless it is filled with quests or something to do on a constant basis.

Thats all my quarter will allow me to type.

Status
Not open for further replies.