• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Discussion regarding Lumberjacking and Mining.

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Myself, and afew of my friends who too play UO have been having this conversation for quite some time now, and it was wondering what you guys thought of it?

Its basically about how Different the quantities are from the general prospecting of raw materials.

For instance, Me and a friend mined/lumberjacked continously for 8 hours (Sad i know but we had a good laugh n talked about stuff as we did it). I had a GM Miner and he had a GM Lumberjack.. After the 8 hours the amounts of materials I noticed that i had were no-where near the same amount of Iron.. as he had "Normal Wood" as we know it. I think it was something along the lines of, he had 43k Normal Wood.. and i had like 25k Iron..

For a raw material.. (The basic) Raw materials.. Dont you think they should be a little more balanced..? I know I know.. someones gunna say "Well theres more tree's than mining spots" well yes thats true, but as far as i know, theres still the 8 tile rule between Ore veins and Hackable tree's.

I personally think theres a MASSIVE difference between lumbering and mining.. and it should change really.. NOT by much but there should be some sort of an increase in yeild or something for miners, to allow them to catch up with Lumberers.

Ommy.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about other informations of this 'competition'?
Is he a human and you an elf? (Humans get 10% more resources.)
How were the numbers, if you include more rare materials? 8Rare wood seems to be way more rare than rare ingot types.)
Was one of you working in Fel and the other not?
What about rare special resources? (ML gems vs amber, bark etc, Sa rares if one of you were working around Ter-Mur)?

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry yeah that was abit vague in that first post =)

We were both Human, Slightly Tanned one had a mohawk one had no hair. (we were in Fel)

As for Other specials.. It was roughly the same, Percentage-wise..

I know i definatly didnt get any Verite or Valorite, Yet my friend got around 500 Frostwood and some Bloodwood.

i did make up on Gems yes.. But im not on about the gold making factor, im on about The basic raw yield in each catagory. I.E IRON and WOOD.

Theres a Massive difference between the two.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I mine I usually try to mine as little iron ore as possible so I use the prospectors tool to raise the iron ore to dull copper and then maybe a gargoyles pickaxe to raise it to shadow depending on which I need most. So I have no problem getting less iron. Lumberjacking I am mostly doing for parasitic plant blue crystals and other secondary items so I don't care too much about the out come. In general I will mine all the colors in a single outing because I can upgrade the ore using prospectors tool and gargoyles pickaxe. When I lumberjack I fill 4 packies and at least half the time I get all the colors of wood not that it matters too much for me since my bowcrafter isn't a busy guy and carpenter is umemployed :)

retrorider

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have both a GM Lumberjack and GM Miner.

First, I don't think we are still working with 8x8 resource allocations. I think each square has it's own resource now but that may not even factor into the difference between the gathered resource amounts.

For me, walking from tree to tree and gathering 100 logs in my pack is much quicker than mining and getting 100 ingots worth of ores.

This could be responsible for the difference in gathered resources.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is fairly balanced. You can recycle most metal items (almost all but tinkered items). You cannot recycle wooden items.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also consider that you can boost mined material once, twice if you want to find and fight elementals - something you can't do with wood. I almost exclusively use a combination of PT & GPA, and end up with 100-300 Verite & Valorite ingots per 1000 digs, in Trammel.