• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discord Training - Observations

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just thought I'd share what I think I've figured out about discord training - and I think this applies to both pets and players. When you discord a skill and train it, it still gains at the rate it would gain at if it was not discorded. The only advantage is that you can train against lower skill level actions.

By this I mean if your dragon is at 110 tactics, your shadow elemental would normally need to have at least 90 tactics for you to gain off it (that number may not be entirely accurate, but I think it is close). However, if you discord your dragon down to 90 tactics you will be able to gain off an elemental with a tactics skill of 70 or higher.

The same kind of thing applies to a player training magery. Lowering your skill with a mage weapon doesn't mean you will gain skill at a faster rate than you would with your normal skill, but it will allow you to gain casting lower level spells, which require less mana, and cast faster, so there are benefits, but the gains per skill check do not change.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
also gets your pets in a range to gain better.
like Cus and their healing.
if their anat is too high they wont gian in healing.
but if you discor them and knock their anat to a level where they CANT cure the poisen then the healing gains mad fast.

i just disco trained a batch of new pets on the weekend.
didnt notice any changes.
the gained faster then they would have without discord.

(fondlly recalls it taking 3 elementals to train pets up where i can do it with 1 now)

i think if your pets are high enough that you can discord both them AND the SE maybe that is the trick.

that said, there is only one for sure way to test this.
that would be to take 2 control animals that are allmost mirror immages in their skills and dex and such, and put them up against a SE.
one discorded and one not.
let them roll like that for a couple hours and compare the gains.a

just sitting here saying "its not faster"
or "hell ya its faster"
means nothing to anyone.
testing is needed.

oh, and you cant have either pets being the one targetted by the SE, cause that pet allways gains faster then the others.

so you'd need 3 tamers with pets.
one meat shield, and 2 test pets.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

I've noticed this too.. I believe they changed this with the "satyr fix"

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya, I didn't know for sure that there had been a satyr fix, but I seem to recall something about it. I'm sure that was what changed discord training though.

G

Bit OT, but I've been out of game for a bit. What satyr fix? :p

Wenchy

G

Ah, yeah, took me a minute there lol...

*might have been able to remember all her macros, but everything else is still hazy* :p

Wenchy

I

imported_Sarphus

LOL

I didn't realize that was an exploit. I actually wrote a skill guide around that and it was a sploit.

oops...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't think it was really an exploit, but it was certainly an unintended use of satyrs. I don't think anyone would get banned for training with a satyr though *waits for two or three people to prove him wrong...*. It just wasn't foreseen or intended so they did some recoding to make sure it wasn't unbalanced. At least that is my take on it...

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
guess what... you guys where WRONG.
on 2 points.

1) the training while in doscord is still working

2) its not an exploit.

<blockquote><hr>

"While Discorded, do your skills gain as if you were your actual skill level or the level that your skill drops to?"

Your Discorded skill level is used to calculate your skill gain chance - so for difficulty-based skills, you can gain skill by using abilities or spells that would normally be too easy. This isn't capped at all. There's an explanation of difficulty-based skills Here - keep in mind that moderately difficult (50% success rate or so) abilities have the best chance to earn you skill gains.

[/ QUOTE ]

A

Antion_Vallin

Been useing Discord to train pets in several different ways. I have a Gamen with high resistances I use to train anything it can survive against and visa versa. Useing Discord I can train a Lesser Hiryu on my Gamen.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

guess what... you guys where WRONG.
on 2 points.

1) the training while in doscord is still working

2) its not an exploit.

<blockquote><hr>

"While Discorded, do your skills gain as if you were your actual skill level or the level that your skill drops to?"

Your Discorded skill level is used to calculate your skill gain chance - so for difficulty-based skills, you can gain skill by using abilities or spells that would normally be too easy. This isn't capped at all. There's an explanation of difficulty-based skills Here - keep in mind that moderately difficult (50% success rate or so) abilities have the best chance to earn you skill gains.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I realize this comes from a dev, but devs have been wrong before, and I think they are wrong in this case. I have used a -26 mage weapon, together with being discorded by a satyr to train magery, and there is no way I was gaining at the same rate I would have if I was at my lowered magery level. I've noticed this with just about any skill, and skills on pets as well. I stand by what I stated at the top of the thread.

G

There was me hoping that the reason I hadn't seen anyone abusing the satyrs was because they'd been told off by GMs. I might have known lol.

But the good thing is that I won't be disturbed out training pets and players, everyone else will be parked with a pixie, shadow ele, golem or satyr. One day maybe the devs will resist the cries of "easier easier!" *mumbles*

Wenchy

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i took 2 cu's in on a SE.

one discorded, one not.

had a third at the meat shield.

the discorded one out trained the non discorded one.

didnt take them all the way to GM as i didnt have an entire day to kill doing it, but the difference was obvious after only a couple hours in.

again, make speculations about gaining are fine, but cold hard testing is the only way to find out what is really going on.

remind's me of one of my guild mates.
he is convinced that the old skill rot system is a crucial part of skill gaining (for faster gains)

i personally find that when i stick out my toung and stand on one leg and hop while singing the broadway musical cats backwards offers the most gains per hour.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I never said that discord training wasn't faster. Far from it, I know it is. I am just saying that for the reasons I gave above, training a skill discorded to 50, is not as fast as training a skill that unmodified is at 50.