• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Diminishing Population of Ultima Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 2d client is holding UO back... It's killing it from any growth and until all you hold outs move on we will be kept in the dark ages of gaming.... infact I'll be surprised if UO lasts another year if the Graphics do NOT get improved. And I will say once again and I know this for a FACT most the gamers LAUGH at UO's Graphics.
And they look at your EC Graphics and laugh even harder. Both clients are 2d but guess what CC is keeping UO alive so you can play your FUGLY EC.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never spoken to a person in game, over ICQ or in any TS or vent server who ran the EC. When I stopped playing for a few years I came back to the other client but I couldn't figure out what was so wrong till I reinstalled the CC. Sorry to say but people use the CC inspite of the old look much like they deal with a bank inspite of the back door plowing. The game is so good that you just take it and pretend to smile.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If UO wanted to go to the EC only they would ask the current CC user what it would take to get us to use the EC but then they would have to be willing to scrap FUGLY GRAPHICS and do true ENHANCED GRAPHICS, bring back KR GRAPHICS, let those that want it use only true CC GRAPHICS and for the select few that still want to use use EC FUGLY GRAPHICS. Put in a 4 way switch for the GRAPHICS and this is just a start but IMHO that is the most glaring for most CC users.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is just me speaking..but the number 1 reason I do not PVP is the game allows cheat programs by design.. I know not everyone uses them but about 2 years ago I built a pvp character and went to the Yew moongate in Fel to try it out and the first, and only person, I even tried to pvp with was moving at such a high rate of speed it was without a doubt a cheat. I know all the "if you are good and know how to pvp you can beat someone speedhacking." But honestly, why bother even playing when it allows cheating.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 2d client is holding UO back... It's killing it from any growth and until all you hold outs move on we will be kept in the dark ages of gaming.... infact I'll be surprised if UO lasts another year if the Graphics do NOT get improved. And I will say once again and I know this for a FACT most the gamers LAUGH at UO's Graphics.
Stats for Minecraft.. a really high intense graphic game.... (sarcasm intended)
41,655,985 registered users, of which 7,482,213 (17.96%) have bought the game

They need to make the game the same 2d way it is.. it's unique, but have a new system operating it.. You know.. one they can add new content to easily like they're trying to do with their beta version of UO.. not really sure why they're trying to change everything when the graphics have been fine for 15 years.. Seems silly to me. Just change the system.

Last edited:

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just me speaking..but the number 1 reason I do not PVP is the game allows cheat programs by design.. I know not everyone uses them but about 2 years ago I built a pvp character and went to the Yew moongate in Fel to try it out and the first, and only person, I even tried to pvp with was moving at such a high rate of speed it was without a doubt a cheat. I know all the "if you are good and know how to pvp you can beat someone speedhacking." But honestly, why bother even playing when it allows cheating.
There's a cap on speed. No one can exceed it no matter what you do.

Thanatos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My wife and I just returned after about an 8 year break (we both still use the CC) and brought our 11 year old and 9 year old with us. I originally started playing when the game first come out and remember the days when there was actually some risk involved in stepping outside a guard zone but there was also game changing risk involved when killing some one. Then come along Trammel where every where was safe and venturing into Fel was an actual adventure as not only did you have to worry about the monsters but the reds as well and losing all your hard earned gear. Then insurance was introduced and there went any worry about going to Fel as anything of importance gets insured so getting killed was just a minor inconvenience unless you were resource gathering and lost all your resources.

Now my kids being new to the game have played both the EC and CC and while my 11 year old (daughter) isn't a big gamer she prefers the EC as she likes the way the animals look :rolleyes2: . My 9 year old (son) who is a pretty avid gamer and has played a lot of high intense graphic games prefers the CC as he says it is nice look and is easier for new players to pick up on. He has even shown me a few new things. He was briefly interested in PvP but once he learned that there was no real reward or risk involved in participating in PvP he quickly lost interest in that aspect of the game.

I say all of this to show that as long as both clients are available they will be used and will appeal to different types of players so if anything neither one of the clients are killing the game but in fact they are both working together to keep the game alive. Had my wife and I returned after 8 years to see the graphics look like WOW or any of the other MMORPG's that we have tried we would not have stayed. There is currently a growing trend in "Retro" games and the fact that UO offers both a retro (CC) and somewhat updated (EC) client to play the same game is a great thing not offered by other MMORPG's.

Would changes to PvP bring back more players? Possibly but is this what needs to be focused on as the selling point for UO? I doubt it! What the game truly needs is to have the bugs fixed and a more robust system put in place to stop scripters and cheaters. This would help keep players and possibly bring back old ones that left for those reasons.

Also a little advertising couldn't hurt. When was the last time anyone saw an advertisement for UO? I talk to some long retired players and they are surprised to hear the game is still around as they don't hear about it any more and others say they have never heard of the game at all so how can you expect to attract new players if you don't advertise the game. I guarantee if WOW stopped its advertising and marketing it wouldn't take long for it go the same way as UO. Not doing any advertising is like putting a house up for sale but only using word of mouth to sell it.

For every one that says UO is on its last leg and will be going the way of the dodo soon I can tell you that rumor has been circulating since at least 2000. If it is dying all I can say is it is one tough cookie as it has been dieing for over a decade but is still hanging in there.

W

Woodsman

Also a little advertising couldn't hurt. When was the last time anyone saw an advertisement for UO?
UO is advertised on BioWare.com. I know, it's free and all, but you take what you can get. EA has been promoting the hell out of Ultima Forever (even giving interviews to CNN about it), and the Ultima producer said UO would be cross-promoted on Ultima Forever's website, so that will be good exposure.

If EA would spare some money for UO, I'd prefer they put it into hiring more people, not advertising. UO gets a lot of word of mouth.

Right now on Massively there's a huge UO screenshot sitting at the top of the site, talking about live events and how UO has done them and how few AAA MMORPGs do them. That's one of the biggest MMORPG news sites out there, and between it and MMORPG.com, UO gets a lot of publiclity.
For every one that says UO is on its last leg and will be going the way of the dodo soon I can tell you that rumor has been circulating since at least 2000. If it is dying all I can say is it is one tough cookie as it has been dieing for over a decade but is still hanging in there.
You could get away with that thinking back in 2007 when UO had 75,000 or so players. You can't now, outside of Atlantic, many of the shards are far too empty to make people feel comfortable. UO can survive, and who knows, maybe Ultima Forever will help it a little bit. They just need to bring in more players. It would solve a lot of complaints/problems people have.

Thanatos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is advertised on BioWare.com. I know, it's free and all, but you take what you can get. EA has been promoting the hell out of Ultima Forever (even giving interviews to CNN about it), and the Ultima producer said UO would be cross-promoted on Ultima Forever's website, so that will be good exposure.

If EA would spare some money for UO, I'd prefer they put it into hiring more people, not advertising. UO gets a lot of word of mouth.

Right now on Massively there's a huge UO screenshot sitting at the top of the site, talking about live events and how UO has done them and how few AAA MMORPGs do them. That's one of the biggest MMORPG news sites out there, and between it and MMORPG.com, UO gets a lot of publiclity.
You could get away with that thinking back in 2007 when UO had 75,000 or so players. You can't now, outside of Atlantic, many of the shards are far too empty to make people feel comfortable. UO can survive, and who knows, maybe Ultima Forever will help it a little bit. They just need to bring in more players. It would solve a lot of complaints/problems people have.

OK a few websites advertising UO doesn't constitute a lot of publicity. When was the list time you went to a game store or read a gaming magazine and saw an ad for UO? Can you actually buy game time cards in stores? Other then a few websites that you have to hunt for there is nothing out there that puts UO in the face of perspective players to make them say "Hey what is this game? Maybe I should give it a try?". It is fine if people us word of mouth but unless you stand on the street corner, call random people, or shout it out in stores most of the people that talk about UO talk to others that already play or have previously played.

There is no point in adding new content, fixing bugs, stopping scripters, or any of the other things people say will bring new players if new people never hear about the game. They do need to fix what needs to be fix so they can keep the existing players but if the expansion part of your business model is based on word of mouth or minimal advertising then your business will not grow in any recognizable rate.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't been able to buy gametime cards in UK stores as long as I've played - why not? Because the stores won't stock them.
When we bought Samurai Empire we bought their entire stock - 3 copies. That's all they would agree to take! You can't put stuff in stores if the stores won't stock them.

Thanatos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't been able to buy gametime cards in UK stores as long as I've played - why not? Because the stores won't stock them.
When we bought Samurai Empire we bought their entire stock - 3 copies. That's all they would agree to take! You can't put stuff in stores if the stores won't stock them.
You have a point about the game time cards but I still think they need to advertise UO more.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More people should try Siege... No place to hide from pvp. And the more people that try, the more people there will be to kill. And hey, you can now use advanced and mythic character tokens!!!!!

Wishful thinking I know.
Would be interesting if Siege became the PvP merge point for all US shards.

There needs to be more compelling fiction and better reasons to PvP other than becoming a murderer. My biggest complaint with UO PvP is how you need to become red in order to maintain control. If EA wants Factions to work then everyone who enters Fel should be required to be a part of a Faction, otherwise it's a flawed system in general. If Factions is required then people no longer have to worry about counts and guardzones won't save you, and when you're bored or want to do EM events you can head on over to Trammel. The necessity to be red in Fel is an artificial system which hinders Fel/Tram interactions, and there's no point anymore unless you're going to penalize those who kill their own Faction mates.

Last edited:

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Physical game stores are barely relevant in the gaming market these days, tbh. There's a reason why many are disappearing from the high street.

Anyway, as I'm sure I've said before, you need something to advertise before you can advertise it. A 15 year old game with poor graphics, gameplay which is starting to show its age, a monthly price tag as it is currently, almost as much as WoW, and an almost insurmountable learning curve with a massive gulf between a newbie and its majority veteran playerbase isn't gonna cut it with today's gamer. That's the crux of the matter and none of that is changing any time soon.

Even if the UO team enhanced the current graphics slightly by retouching them, made a perfect client, fixed every conceivable bug and PvP imbalance and wrote absolutely flawless in-game fiction/events and plastered UO ads everywhere it's still not gonna boost the population by any significant number for the aforementioned underlying reasons which will seemingly never change.

UO is a retro and niche game with a small, loyal fanbase remaining. It would be better for EA to focus on improving the gameplay for those who remain to try and retain them as opposed to pursuing any significant campaigns to attract new players. Judging from recent communications they seem to be heading in that direction, which is good.

Before anyone levels an accusation at me that I'm being negative, I don't see any of my posts that way. I'm just an independent thinker and a realist who doesn't buy the propaganda on either side of the fence; there's plenty of people here who will jump on anything to bash EA and, by the same token, a lot here who are drinking way too much of the EA kool-aid. One thing everyone can probably acknowledge though is that shard populations are seemingly lower than ever and even discussion about UO on Stratics and other forums online seems much slower than it once was. That's a pretty poor state to be in considering the vast majority of UO accounts that have been created over the last 15 years can play the game for free right now...

W

Woodsman

UO is a retro and niche game with a small, loyal fanbase remaining. It would be better for EA to focus on improving the gameplay for those who remain to try and retain them as opposed to pursuing any significant campaigns to attract new players. Judging from recent communications they seem to be heading in that direction, which is good.
If you give up on trying to bring new players in, then Stratics might as well make a forum for us to start discussing which free shards we are going to play when they close UO. I'm encountering fewer players and houses than I was last year (although the account migration fiasco might have played a part in that), and it was stunning how fewer players and houses there were when I came back last year as opposed to when I last took a break (before KR).

I don't think you're necessarily being negative, I just happen to believe that UO is an incredibly deep game and that there are many MMORPG players out there that would give it a try if the whole experience was upgraded - new player experience, website (which may happen this month), high resolution, improved EC.

Right now, EA prefers to rely on players and fansites to prop up UO in terms of new players and that's simply not good enough, because A) EA is a billion dollar company that can afford to spend a little on UO if they are going to spend millions on a new Ultima, and B) new players in UO are not going to automatically assume they should go to fansites or rely on other players to hold their hands. The UO website is being worked on, so that is a start, but they canceled the upgraded new player experience which was a huge mistake. They did publish a new player guide, which I think was great, but was also probably Mesanna's only option.

World of Warcraft can lose a few million in a year when people get bored/finished with existing content, Star Wars: The Old Republic loses half it's players in 6 months, etc. etc. and so there is this group of up to millions of people who just float around between MMORPGs looking for the one that will grab them and hold them in and give them something more than a themepark roller coaster ride that leaves them wondering what to do when the ride stops. They obviously don't want to hop right back on the roller coaster.

UO can be the game they want to play, because so many are tired of the theme park, it's just that EA has to meet them halfway. Antiquated interfaces and graphics are okay if done deliberately, but not out of neglect, and not in the case of modern MMORPG players, especially when it's an EA game.

I don't know how address that though. EA doesn't think much of us - I can list half a dozen examples right now proving that. UO only gets mentioned by EA executives as an example to SWTOR players that EA can keep MMORPGs going, and even then the guy doing the mention thinks UO is in its 17th year this year, and last year thought it was in its 10th year. The Ultima Franchise Producer writes a letter to UO players asking us to play Ultima Forever and makes it clear that Ultima Forever is his focus. It takes almost a year and a half just for the three Mythic MMORPG websites to get a new coat of paint, and to add insult to injury, UO's wasn't even done in time for Return to Britannia. EA won't even give us an official community, something no other company does. The list could go on.

I wish we knew how to make it clear to EA that we believe in UO and believe that it could be much bigger. It saddens me to think that people within Mythic, rather than putting their energy into making UO better, instead lobbied to get millions of dollars to make Ultima Forever.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If EA wants Factions to work then everyone who enters Fel should be required to be a part of a Faction, otherwise it's a flawed system in general. If Factions is required then people no longer have to worry about counts and guardzones won't save you, and when you're bored or want to do EM events you can head on over to Trammel. The necessity to be red in Fel is an artificial system which hinders Fel/Tram interactions, and there's no point anymore unless you're going to penalize those who kill their own Faction mates.
Fel is already dead enough and you want to try and force people to join your play style. And what about all the people that own home in Fel that do not want to do this, you going to pay them for all thier homes or relocate them to a Tram rule set land. Take out all those homes and Fel would be a total goast town. Why would anybody want to become part of a group that has the maturity level of a 5 year old. Just listen to any Gen Chat on any shard when the PvPers get on and start spewing thier BS, are they that starved for attention? Who made that PvPer at the time GOD and unless you fight by his/her rules then you are cheating. Please show me and the rest of UO where all these rules are written. There are no rules in WAR. Your play style is not the only play style there is. Old skool PvPers use to help each other to become better fighters so they could have better fights, you never stop learning. You are not Mesanna, you are not the baddest mother to walk UO, she holds that title (little joke). First you need to get the rest of the PvPers onboard and clean up the BS and stop bashing others. Help each other become better fighters and be willing to help new people without all the BS and you may be supprised at the outcome. Alls I really hear/read in gen chat is a little whinnie 5 yr old PKer that thinks he/she is GOD and decided thier play style is the only true way to PvP.

Get out of Gen Chat, all this does is piss others off.
Stop thinking your style is the only style, you are not GOD.
Grow up, we not want to listen to 5 yr olds.

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they start with improving the game graphic probably more people will come... but right now the quality/price comparison shows the game is too expensive for what you really have.
So the only way to bring back people (other than improving the graphics) is reduce the monthly price by at least 60%... 4-5€/month would be a more than fair price for this game...
if they wanted too install a campaign that would bring in new players they could... I don't think they want too. I think they luv to see this game get bought out by some pop tart they would eventually sink it for good. Then they can wash there hands from Ultima Online with out being flamed to death. This is one reason the monthly fee is high as it is so it looks good to a buyer. They have a core group paying $$ and they have infrastructure for this small group but to have more players means they would have to increase the support which I am sure they despise managing. Ea has made ever so increasing harder to hold support/EM/GM accountable. They have let the big business tactics funnel down into this the management of this game and how they ignore their customers. I am willing to bet a mole has invaded in or dissension in the whole EA/UO crew due to their bosses handcuffing them to what they can and can not fix or install to the game.
I think we should all go on a month Strike to send a message. When the only server with players is on Atlantic then a strike will more possible as dissension will grow to a point when these issues will have to be addressed... or they will just turn there back on us and then you finally know they don't give a F*** about you no matter how chummy you think you are with mods,EM,devs, ect... When they catch a cheater they should post it, who the toons he/she had in UO fashion Mug shots. All available Information on cheaters should be posted.

I could go on and on, but in short... to be fair 7.99 is plenty and 5.99 would bring in new players... without new players this game becomes nothing but wasted time for all the older vets that have spend much $$ and time. what is a rare collecting these items are utterly useless, who want to spend one hour beating on spawn to only get nothing or a pretty shinny item for you display case.

people in game always like showing off there home with every item in the game only to pay for another account to store more stuff? WHY? What good is paradise if you there only one to enjoy it?
is UO going to give you a cash out credit for having spend 15yrs collecting stuff. HA...

in closeting, as long there are people willing to destroy what you have then online gamming will always suffer. they only way to stop it, is transparency and visibility... = you going to have GMs visible like elementary school where the teachers walk the play ground to detour bad behavior.
UO/EA see the writing on the wall and IMHO they just don't want to do commit to the work it would take to really improve this game. They are going to just do the bare minium to keep the most pre occupied and somewhat happy and the cash comming in. I havent spoken to anyone that is even 80% happy but holding on to old memories of how it use to be and hoping for some Knight to ride in to save the day... It wont happen IMHO

LET ORGANIZE AND S T R I K E :pirate:

Gotta say How much money and trouble I have saved in my years of playing Uo. I do thank UO for that~

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get out of Gen Chat, all this does is piss others off.
Stop thinking your style is the only style, you are not GOD.
Grow up, we not want to listen to 5 yr olds.
Factions as a system is flawed, and it isn't something peers can fix by "teaching each other how to PvP." I don't think you get my point in your passive-aggressive reply. Nothing in your reply has anything specific to Factions, which is my main focus. Once again, if I need to remind anyone, G.v.P is an acronym for my real life name, and has nothing to do with God or PvP.

Two of the biggest letdowns of the current PvP system are guardzones and red lock. Murdering was never intended to be "the" way to PvP, murderers were "flagged" to indicate they were murderers, which isn't true PvP because one side doesn't want to or can't possibly fight (noobs/miners). Old school PvP was nothing but dueling, flagging on a fifth circle summon to get things started. Or in the case of retribution, calling on everyone at the bank to chase down that lone PK.

Champ spawns came, and things changed. PvP became a business rather than something casual and fun. A job. Fast forward to present day, and anyone who lives in Fel currently has the choice to stay or move. I have no sympathy for Factions unless the system is global, otherwise Factions isn't going to work. In that case, they need to bring back Order vs. Chaos, war on ANY facet. Factions as it is has no real compelling lore or incentive, especially after they messed up the items. UO needs a reason to PvP, and it isn't going to be old school duels and it isn't Factions at current.

Oh, and with due respect to Mesanna, I've played UO for 13 of the 15 years she's been working on the project, so I'll pontificate all I want.

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
source? HA That is not what I have seen.
There's a cap on speed. No one can exceed it no matter what you do.
This is totally wrong.. or maybe uninformed..
I never cheat.. however my kids have used programs to cheat.. as kids will.. I've personally seeen a speed hack in use.. even tried it for a minute on my sons account to verify that it did work. It does.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never cheat.. however my kids have used programs to cheat.. as kids will.. I've personally seeen a speed hack in use.. even tried it for a minute on my sons account to verify that it did work. It does.
They only bring you up to a certain point. At that point you can go no farther. Everyone can reach it. Why do you think no one is banned for it? I'm not going to look back through years of old forums to prove a point no one will listen to or care about.

The old walk/skip was fixed years ago if that's what you're referring to.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one is hacking this game to make it do things that aren't possible. Scripts do things that are possible but perform the actions the exact same way every time and with out human flaw. Dupes are about the only thing that's close to what you guys think is going on and that's just game flaws being exploited.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WTF are you talking about of course there is a set cap on speed. There is also a set speed on casting for all those idiots out there who think someone is casting faster than them. There is a set rule that you can't cast and run for all the idiots out there who think people hack to cast and run. THERE ARE NO LITERAL HACKS IN THIS GAME. A "speed hack" is not an actual hack, no one is messing with the games programming. There is a limit on speed and a "speed hack" just allows you to move at server side speed, nothing more. You can buy computers that you can manually overdrive and this would do the same thing without downloading a program.

Lastly, as I've stated before, scripts are hardly used in pvp so why is everyone bringing them up? Far more scripting is done in tram to farm resources. The only useful pvp script would be a box script and this is just equivalent to a well placed box macro.

G

Green Mouser

I doubt there is a plan to bring players back. I am wagering the plan is just to slow the decline and pull as much revenue as possible until the end.

We dont need a merger....Just a World Gate...That would make PVP Insane as peeps from all over bounce to your (any) shard...Would also mean no housing issue (would actually alleviate it for some).....Along with vendor search....Slam Dunk! The revenue lost from the xfer tokens surely would be easy to recoup with the release of some other goodie we can purchase.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WTF are you talking about of course there is a set cap on speed.
If there is a cap--in the post AOL Legends UO--speed hacking must skip the cap. The sensation of being followed by someone who skips frames, even when you have no lag at all, is quite specific. There might be a cap, I suppose, on how efficient speed hacking is--one user limitation, at the least, is how speed hacking, to my knowledge, increases the speed of other things, like targeting reticules--but it certainly exists as a cheat if not what could be deemed as a true "hack."

Lastly, as I've stated before, scripts are hardly used in pvp so why is everyone bringing them up? Far more scripting is done in tram to farm resources. The only useful pvp script would be a box script and this is just equivalent to a well placed box macro.
Whhhhat. People script pots all the time. Box macros, scripts that self bandage, magic heal others, etc. There are tons of PvP scripts. I agree the majority of scripters are in Tram, working skills or crafting, but PvP scripts are plentiful.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is a cap--in the post AOL Legends UO--speed hacking must skip the cap. The sensation of being followed by someone who skips frames, even when you have no lag at all, is quite specific. There might be a cap, I suppose, on how efficient speed hacking is--one user limitation, at the least, is how speed hacking, to my knowledge, increases the speed of other things, like targeting reticules--but it certainly exists as a cheat if not what could be deemed as a true "hack."

Whhhhat. People script pots all the time. Box macros, scripts that self bandage, magic heal others, etc. There are tons of PvP scripts. I agree the majority of scripters are in Tram, working skills or crafting, but PvP scripts are plentiful.
If it was going beyond the cap it would be extremely easy to notice and people would be banned left and right. Also to go beyond the cap would involve HACKING the program, which isn't possible (or at least no one bothers to do). A "speed hack" is a program you download, it doesn't have anything to do with UO's programming it just effects how you're computer runs.
Also, as stated before, anyone that uses a script in PVP is only handicapping themselves and is making themselves an easy kill. A script forces an action and disrupts whatever maneuver or skill you were in the middle of using and is therefore pretty effin useless. a "heal others" script would be the dumbest thing for anyone to have (if you're in a large fight anyone with one of those scripts would be forced to be casting heals left and right and be insta killed or just simply lag up and crash if numerous targets are low and even in a standard small fight would be constantly forced to heal/if they're fighting someone they'd be screwed), a "self bandage script" can't see how that'd be of any use or give someone an advantage, because, timing when to apply bandages is pretty key for dexxers and there's already a one button macro in UO's own basic macro why would you need a script that always applys bandages at the same time? Pot scripts would be dumb due to the fact that drinking a pot cancels a held spell and would thus be useless to any caster (again there's also a one button macro to do this provided by uoa so why wouldn't you just use that and leave it up to the player to decide when to chug). The only useful would be a box script because that's an action that you're always going to do, every time you're paralyzed, and so there's no risk of interrupting but still recognizing a script and someone with an easily accessible macro just isn't possible.

W

Woodsman

I know the cheating, in whatever form it is, doesn't help UO among current players, and past players (really doesn't help with past players if they see that the scripters are no longer being banned), but is it hurting UO's image among players who have never played?
I doubt there is a plan to bring players back. I am wagering the plan is just to slow the decline and pull as much revenue as possible until the end.
Jeff Skalski did specifically say they were going to focus more on former players, but there are areas, such as an improve EC UI (and EC in general) and high resolution graphics that would pull in new players and help keep them.

Same with the website, although supposedly we might see a new one before the end of the month. When potential UO customers, and that's what they are, show up and see a really ****** website and no real official community, they are going to think that if EA is going to skimp on customer service/customer relations, they will skimp on a lot of other things, because those are some of the cheapest things that companies can do for their games (especially the ***** website design which has hung around for several years and could have been fixed/updated within a few weeks by one of the interns).

If the cheapest things are neglected, what else is going to be neglected?

I've played a lot of MMORPGs, and when considering coughing up the cash, I do look at that kind of stuff. It's like going shopping in real life - you're not going to have much faith in stores that have horrible storefronts, broken windows, etc. (unless it's a junk store).

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was going beyond the cap it would be extremely easy to notice and people would be banned left and right. Also to go beyond the cap would involve HACKING the program, which isn't possible (or at least no one bothers to do). A "speed hack" is a program you download, it doesn't have anything to do with UO's programming it just effects how you're computer runs.
Also, as stated before, anyone that uses a script in PVP is only handicapping themselves and is making themselves an easy kill. A script forces an action and disrupts whatever maneuver or skill you were in the middle of using and is therefore pretty effin useless. a "heal others" script would be the dumbest thing for anyone to have (if you're in a large fight anyone with one of those scripts would be forced to be casting heals left and right and be insta killed or just simply lag up and crash if numerous targets are low and even in a standard small fight would be constantly forced to heal/if they're fighting someone they'd be screwed), a "self bandage script" can't see how that'd be of any use or give someone an advantage, because, timing when to apply bandages is pretty key for dexxers and there's already a one button macro in UO's own basic macro why would you need a script that always applys bandages at the same time? Pot scripts would be dumb due to the fact that drinking a pot cancels a held spell and would thus be useless to any caster (again there's also a one button macro to do this provided by uoa so why wouldn't you just use that and leave it up to the player to decide when to chug). The only useful would be a box script because that's an action that you're always going to do, every time you're paralyzed, and so there's no risk of interrupting but still recognizing a script and someone with an easily accessible macro just isn't possible.
I like that at least some people understand.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Powerscrolls cheap?????? You can hardly even find them on my shard..... let alone find them cheap..... Unless you are talking about CRAP scrolls like Macing, Chivalry etc that you can't even give away...

BS with Factions... Since the wipe of points and the change to the point system and way of getting gear with the Silver thing most folk I know who used to use faction Arties don't anymore... Infact a large number of folk who used to be in factions and do factions quit ages ago.... Why because of lame fighting tactics, certain guilds making it difficult to be in the TB faction... and etc etc....

No it's not fun fighting the Zergs on my shard who all brag heavily about all the hacks and scripts they use.... they do it even in Global Chat.... nothing gets done about it... They even joke about the GM's never doing anything...

And it's not just one said person and they aren't red...

I could give 2 ..... about the Arena's most the folk on my shard cheat..... see above about scripting hackers.

As for suits a vast majority of my characters don't even have imbued stuff.... they don't even have all 70's... I was just pointing out at least a half a dozen or more of the arguments that I continually hear about why folk won't go to fel anymore, why they quit going to fel and why they quit UO...

I still play.... I'm not afraid to go to Fel... I don't do the Flavor of the Month Gimplate... I only a year ago made my first Sampire..... Just before they somewhat nerfed it...

I believe the OP wanted to know why the population in Fel is diminishing..... I gave at least a half a dozen or more reasons.... I did not say they were MY reasons.
UO will be around for another year. So you can get ready to be shocked.

Yes power scrolls have dropped dramatically in price. Archery for example use to be ~8mil, now can be bought for 1.5. Many scrolls have followed suit, and very few are even close to what they were in their hay day.

The gear being ruined in factions upset a lot of people. But that doesn't change the fact people use to cry about faction players getting "leet" items and blaming that on their death. There were so many people saying it wasn't fair that factions got tweaked gear, for whatever reason they did not grasp the risk vs reward as incentive to join.

Again, I said someone is criminal, so one way or another said person(s) can be killed.

You can't script and be effective in pvp. Any seasoned vet can confirm this. If you think scripts are making someone good in pvp, I can only guess that you are not very good in pvp and it's easier to blame a script rather than the more logical approach..that people know their macros and use the 16uoa macros while you click all your icons ect. But hey it's easier to say someone is cheating..they can't be better than you, you are the BEST pvper ever. The ONLY way you die is if someone has their super mega hack enabled...

Yet again, if someone is having trouble with their suits...it's not difficult to make a new suit for cheap, especially with factions(still). If they are crying about it my guess is they are clueless how to make money, and odds are they are afraid to go to fel. They can still farm ingred or peerless or go to events though. There is more than one avenue to get money although fel is one of your best bets.

I'm not sure where you get this gimplate of the month.. When is the last time something new came out? Honestly?

To sum up, they may not be your arguments but you're pushing them as if they are. I was simply countering what you were saying with reasonable solutions, and different point of views that not everyone shares with you, especially pvpers.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... We dont need a merger....Just a World Gate...That would make PVP Insane as peeps from all over bounce to your (any) shard...Would also mean no housing issue (would actually alleviate it for some).....Along with vendor search....Slam Dunk! The revenue lost from the xfer tokens surely would be easy to recoup with the release of some other goodie we can purchase.
Wow... I haven't taken the time to really REALLY think about this yet.... but my initial 20 second reaction was WOW, GREAT IDEA!

But, alas... methinks the logistics would be insurmountable - for EA that is....

Just sayin....:rolleyes:

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As someone who once greatly loved the game, I just want to say without meaning to come across as negative, that this game has basically two main choices in front of it in terms of direction. It can either accept that it's a retro niche game and be content with the small revenue it brings in, or it can be relaunched completely from the ground up and go for another attempt at being competitive in the modern market. I'll cede that the majority of players use the CC, but this very topic is pointing out a problem with diminishing population, so the majority of a dwindling population says the CC is the way to go moving forward and this in a manner reflects why the numbers are small compared to other games in the genre, I would like to say that good graphics and gameplay are not a mutually exclusive combination.

I've read over and over on these boards people clamoring for more advertising, and every single time I see this suggestion I just want to face palm, what is there to advertise that will bring new players in? the people who appreciate the "deep gameplay" are already playing the game, to the rest of the market this is that old game that old people used to play back when there weren't many options and has become a sad parody of what it once was. You cannot bring back the old timers either because they have given up on this game due to a lack of classic shard option when it would have been viable that last time it got drummed up, since they axed it, that slice of the community threw out the white flag and left for the most part.

To me the game is a confused mess of nonsense, gargoyles and elves, samurais and ninjas, what next robot werewolves? (or did it already happen and I just missed it?) logging into the game the last time I did it was like going through what I can only imagine a terrible acid trip must be like, it looked like a bunch of annoying neon colors were thrown into a blender with a frog and they jammed the button until it exploded all over the place, people running around on dogs and beetles and who knows what else, it's like a tripped out dreamland gone wrong, UOs problem is that it forgot at it's height the simplicity of the game, along with the power of an actual community of diverse players are what made it fun to begin with. For every crafter we need a thief, for every thief we need a detective, for every detective we need a murderer, for every murderer we need a hero and so on, no role is without it's importance.

Even pointing all of that out, I don't hate UO I just recognize it as a vastly different UO from the one I played and enjoyed, I am glad that those who enjoy it's current incarnation have a place to play, hopefully the team can turn it around for the better.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tzadkiel said :

gotta stop those third party unmentionable programs development ignores.
YES, people cheat!...who knew right?
Martell said :

If the Devs could learn to code and actually fix after 15yrs duping and cheating (by which I mean only speeders) that'd be nice too.
MalagAste said :

...making many folk cheat and hack and otherwise use unscrupulous means ...
flappy6 wrote :

i think most honest people are sick of tryin to fight the same people that have been speed hacking for the last decade.
claudia-fjp said :

3) Cheating.
Martell said :

Pot chugging "hacks"= scripts (which are not hacks)...
Speed Hacking= pretty annoying...
...the majority of pvpers cheat...
Martell I know the last line of urs I quoted actually argues most pvpers dont cheat but... ur dead wrong.
Ive been in PvP guilds for 12yrs out of my +15 in UO and its a fact the majority of PvPers in UO cheat.
Im sure some may say I suck at PvP but I'm equally sure plenty would say I dont.
As for game mechanics, I've forgotten more then most players will ever know.

MalagAste said :

...the Zergs on my shard who all brag heavily about all the hacks and scripts they use.... they do it even in Global Chat.... nothing gets done about it... They even joke about the GM's never doing anything...

...about the Arena's most the folk on my shard cheat.....
Blood Ghoul said :

the number 1 reason I do not PVP is the game allows cheat programs by design..
...why bother even playing when it allows cheating.
imported_Chad said :

What the game truly needs is to have the bugs fixed and a more robust system put in place to stop scripters and cheaters. This would help keep players and possibly bring back old ones that left for those reasons.
Ludes said :

I've personally seeen a speed hack in use..... to verify that it did work. It does.
G.v.P. said :

...speed hacking..... increases the speed of other things, like targeting reticules--but it certainly exists as a cheat if not what could be deemed as a true "hack."
Recurring theme here? Some folks will say till they're blue in the face that hacks dont exist, that cheating doesn't happen near as much as u think, or that scripts don't help. One of my favorite is that you must suck at PvP if u think cheating goes on.

If you suck at PvP normally, scripts WILL help. If u can't remember to hit ur macros, scripts WILL do it for u. Simple "if/then" conditions can be set up for a variety of conditions. Plenty of scripts are used by subpar PvPers to raise their ability. Some programs allow the simultaneous execution of more than one action which is IMPOSSIBLE to perform under normal UO conditions. I'm sure the vast majority of scripts are used for resource/BOD gathering but in PvP more players see them due to the nature of resource/BOD gathering in general (most resource gathering and BOD completion is done with very few observers).

Hacks exist and are used. I'm not going into detail abt this, if u want to PM me I'd be glad to briefly discuss. As for server side speed caps...... honestly dunno. However, everyone will agree that someone using a speeder prog has a distinct advantage over someone who isn't. The argument that u can achieve this speed with a good computer is moot because folks AREN'T doing it this way. Why should I have to drop 2 G's to be able to keep up to a cheater? Thats just stupid logic. Let them drop 2 G's to get a competitive edge instead of DLing a $5 third party program which according to the TOS is illegal, hence cheating.

Speaking from personal experience, ALL of my irl UO friends and the VAST majority of ingame UO friends have quit UO because of the cheating. I haven't logged on to play in over a year b/c I'm sick of the cheating. If/when I do come back I probably wont be playing in Fel. UO's diminishing population is due to many causes (I always say,"its never one thing or the other but a combination of the half dozen u know abt, another half dozen u didnt think it was, and lastly the half dozen u were clueless abt.") but I'd hazard a guess the main reason is the same recurring theme seen above.

NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY WITH CHEATERS. The game will continue to slowly die off, like it has been for years, unless someone up the ladder has the balls to do something. I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting tho......

Last edited:

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Martell I know the last line of urs I quoted actually argues most pvpers dont cheat but... ur dead wrong.
Ive been in PvP guilds for 12yrs out of my +15 in UO and its a fact the majority of PvPers in UO cheat.
Im sure some may say I suck at PvP but I'm equally sure plenty would say I dont.

Recurring theme here? Some folks will say till they're blue in the face that hacks dont exist, that cheating doesn't happen near as much as u think, or that scripts don't help. One of my favorite is that you must suck at PvP if u think cheating goes on.

If you suck at PvP normally, scripts WILL help. If u can't remember to hit ur macros, scripts WILL do it for u. Simple "if/then" conditions can be set up for a variety of conditions. Plenty of scripts are used by subpar PvPers to raise their ability. Some programs allow the simultaneous execution of more than one action which is IMPOSSIBLE to perform under normal UO conditions. I'm sure the vast majority of scripts are used for resource/BOD gathering but in PvP more players see them due to the nature of resource/BOD gathering in general (most resource gathering and BOD completion is done with very few observers).

Hacks exist and are used. I'm not going into detail abt this, if u want to PM me I'd be glad to briefly discuss. As for server side speed caps...... honestly dunno. However, everyone will agree that someone using a speeder prog has a distinct advantage over someone who isn't. The argument that u can achieve this speed with a good computer is moot because folks AREN'T doing it this way. Why should I have to drop 2 G's to be able to keep up to a cheater? Thats just stupid logic. Let them drop 2 G's to get a competitive edge instead of DLing a $5 third party program which according to the TOS is illegal, hence cheating.

Speaking from personal experience, ALL of my irl UO friends and the VAST majority of ingame UO friends have quit UO because of the cheating. I haven't logged on to play in over a year b/c I'm sick of the cheating. If/when I do come back I probably wont be playing in Fel. UO's diminishing population is due to many causes (I always say,"its never one thing or the other but a combination of the half dozen u know abt, another half dozen u didnt think it was, and lastly the half dozen u were clueless abt.") but I'd hazard a guess the main reason is the same recurring theme seen above.

NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY WITH CHEATERS. The game will continue to slowly die off, like it has been for years, unless someone up the ladder has the balls to do something. I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting tho......
Are you Acid Rain from HOT? If so I don't think you've been in a PVP guild for 12+ years cuz then you wouldn't be in HOT. If not my apologies. Either way are you trying to say the majority of PVPers use speeders? If so I'd disagree. Are you trying to say most PVPers use scripts? If so I don't really care because, as I've said, anyone having to resort to a script is bad and doesn't know what they're doing and by using a script is only making themselves worse. If by cheat you mean they used cams to scout spawns or scripts to farm resources. Then I'd say you're correct but I don't really care, though at times cams were frustrating, and they're then no different from people farming tram but I don't go around whining about how I don't pvm because "everyone is cheating!!!!!"

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No the problem is that people assume everything, and sadly a vast majority of players don't understand how quick pvp and how you have to react
and make split second choices and process what you see and react accordingly.

Example - I have been accused of cheating because I dodge bolas well. For whatever reason people think it's a script and not a uoa macro to get off your mount.
People will say "Oh theres no way you knew to do that, I was hidden so you didn't see the message and you still jumped off". These players will accuse others of cheating, instead of thinking "Oh maybe he realized I appeared as he was running by(which happens when you throw the bola) and saw me on foot with nothing in my hands and reacted accordingly.

People also think that pots and boxes are all scripted. If you're fighting a mage, you can get ready to react since you can see them casting poison to hit your cure macro, or you'll see them cast para(although any good pvper will have 120 resist).

Do these terrible dexers with no resist script boxes in pvp? some do yes. Does every pvper? No? Do the top tier pvpers use scripts? 100% no.
There is a reason for this, people aren't lying. Scripts ruin your action timers which are important in pvp. If you have a script to drink a cure everytime you're poisoned or a pop a box everytime your para'd. You can para someone to death since they will never apply a bandage since a box would be going off over and over. This is why players > scripts. Scripts just run an action and they can't look at the big picture. While I'm not saying they aren't used, oddly enough they are used by the bottom of the barrel pvpers who can't figure out what "cheat" the top tiers are using. That cheat being skill and experience, which is why they will never improve and would rather just blame it on a script or a "hack".

You're right about the tram side of scripts, I'm sure they run rampant for that.

Also you get people that make things up like if someone is using a "speed hack" they cast faster, or they run faster on foot than you do on mount. All of which is absurd, I tested this every which way and it couldn't be more false.

When it's all said and done it's easier for people to blame it on scripts and cheats rather than them being outplayed by someone. Again just like the bola example a vast majority of players hit a wall and can't grasp things. They don't know the game mechanics it seems and then they say everyone is cheating for whatever reason.

If there were some kind of tournament with computers provided with only uoa, I am 100% confident to tell you the players that are top tier that people think are cheating, would be the ones who would go the furthest in something like that. In fact I wish something like that did happen with devs ect so they could see what is humanly possible, which is a lot more than the average player seems to realize.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can guarantee you there is more scripts and cheats being used in trammel than there is in fel.
I could agree with this 100%, not to say pvper's don't use them, but tram is certainly part of the problem as far as "cheating" goes
In tram, you can't just kill someone who's farming to stop them from scripting, instead you have to go through the process of paging on them, plus most items that hold value are Also farmed in tram-rule facets.

On the other hand, I don't believe that cheats/hacks in UO is the main reason why the population is dwindling, I think it has to do more with customer service & the account migration issues in the past. and some changes made in various publishes...

I'll mention http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_46 just because some changes in that specific publish weren't necessary and Drastically effected numerous templates...

Last edited:

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a real nail in the coffin to pvp templates was the change to jack of all trades. I really do hate that you know theres only a handful of options what some one will be. It seems like 9 out of 10 at this point its either a stealther of sorts, or a thrower.

Even if they kept the pub 46 changes in, I would enjoy it so much if they reverted that 300 combat point change. My favorite part of UO(the ability to make templates based on how creative you are) really took a hit with that change if the pub 46 one wasn't enough.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is called, everything done by EA these days is for Candy Land. Nothing intices gamers to the games unless you want to be gardener, or bank sit all day. I know of 30 people who left to play other released games because there was something for them to do. Until EA quits ignoring the fighters of felluca, got no shot.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is called, everything done by EA these days is for Candy Land. Nothing intices gamers to the games unless you want to be gardener, or bank sit all day. I know of 30 people who left to play other released games because there was something for them to do. Until EA quits ignoring the fighters of felluca, got no shot.
The man has a point. While everything else is fine and dandy after you've beat every monster and farmed everything the real end game is PvP. I know not all agree with it, not that I will ever understand why, but the only real hard thing to do it kill or be killed. It's funner than most people would belive it to be and far more addictive than everything else in the game. Shame though that the last 5+ years have seen little done to improve this aspect that has actually stuck and worked.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picus sweetling,
Yes It is more fun for players, but do you really want to know the reason why?
97' UO If a Lich didnt chase you down the road or through the trees, it was a player who was hell bent to kill you and loot you blind. The place was full out combat if the other was in the mood. No place was safe..... Todays PvP is in reality IS that same thrill the reds and pks got only controled too much. Yes I know what I am saying.
Tram has gotten rid of all but a small bit of the thrill of the hunt and kill of the original days when man(woman) looked over their shoulders in game more then once.

Today the reminants of that time is in the pvp the kids do to amuse themselves at the few places they can get away with it. Spawns, fel gates....

The cure?
IdK.. to be honest if you take away tram rule set this game will not recover. My point is this. Fel rule set is what was the original pvp lovers game field. When the Dev opened Tram....... I watched from Ocelo Bank as every one of my friends ether quit due to the tram intro or moved lock stock and barrel to Tram. They wanted the security Tram offered.
Everyone I knew had deserted Fel.

Picus I wish we could go back a few years and show the dev what happened with changes and what they led to. Not just for the PvP, but for the game in general. Many descissions were made that have effected the game. Some things so pegioned the players they revolted and went elsewhere. We all know of the "free".... Where do you think many disgruntled went?

Cure to some is change to all fel rule set..... It wont help. Plain and simple reason is too many have left for the happy hunting grounds. The other game companys made games to atract many away, it was bound and determind to happen. And we forget one criticle fact... we dont have enough players to make it worth it. I can tell you one thing I might be able to hack it... but I seriously doubt the rest of the younger players could or would put up with it for very long. Your back to square 1.

What do you change?
Add??
I see no easy solution.

Petra or one of the rest of you monitors its time to close this thread. We are at a stalemate that there is no cure for.

Status
Not open for further replies.