• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Digging up chests

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys!

I just saw on a different post that someone said you actually have to have carto on your char to dig up a chest?
Well atm i am still doing old maps and have carto stoned. Can anyone give me some info abou this?

Thx alot!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can stone off carto once you have read the maps, It doesn't have any advantage when digging the actual chest up.

If someone has stats or proof otherwise, I'd love to see them.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can stone off carto once you have read the maps, It doesn't have any advantage when digging the actual chest up.

If someone has stats or proof otherwise, I'd love to see them.
No, Mapper. You can stone off carto only if the map is a Tattered map.
For example "a tattered deviously map for somewhere in trammel".
Yes, you can decode it and then stoned off carto.
if the map is " a deviously map .... " there is not tattered and you need both carto and lockpicking.
Now i don't know if there are some change after he new patch becouse i have some not tattered maps and some of them i can use also if i drop carto, some not, they need both carto and lockpicking :(

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if the map is " a deviously map .... " there is not tattered and you need both carto and lockpicking.
Now i don't know if there are some change after he new patch becouse i have some not tattered maps and some of them i can use also if i drop carto, some not, they need both carto and lockpicking :(
Sorry that's what I meant, Once you have decoded the map you can stone of Carto and be able to read that map on the same character without Carto.

I have done plenty of Level 6 maps this week without Carto at the time of digging up.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry that's what I meant, Once you have decoded the map you can stone of Carto and be able to read that map on the same character without Carto.

I have done plenty of Level 6 maps this week without Carto at the time of digging up.
Thx for the quick and thurough info guys:)

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had some bags of lvl 5 decoded by my t-hunter before the pub and noone else. I have been opening them and sorting and taking notes on wich spot so I have recently opened all of them more than once.
The first ten I dug up with no prob but I realise I must add mining to the template soon. Today i claimed a red soulstone *sigh* sorry couldnt help that, its a eleven year acc..

So I stoned carto and started digging. Some maps went nicely, some I could not even open! My T-hunter wasnt the one that had decoded them it said. But I know it was!

Is this happening to others?

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mapper, probably they were tattered maps. If you decode a simple map and drop carto when you click on the map it tells to you that you haven't decoded it. And you need both carto and lockpicking.
Look at the maps you have decoded. Sure they are "TATTERED MAPS"

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i havent tested this out to find out exactly what is going on.

I decoded 5 lvl6 maps of maps I had from before the patch. I then stoned off cart. Then when I tried to view the map again (because i had closed it) it said I couldnt open it. I had already decoded these. so i had to put cart back on to view the maps.

Lorddog

are you trying to tell me that the maps went from untattered back to tattered while i was putting cart on soul stone? it was like 5 mins difference.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok did some testing
all lvl5 and lesser I can reopen after i decoded them and took off cart
40% of my lvl6 maps i cannot reopen but the other 60% i can.
the ones i cant it says that i did not decode this map.

perhaps those maps were already decoded by someone else? and i opened them when i had cart on and thought i decoded them but perhaps i didnt.
so that when i took cart off i cannot reopen them.

i did buy alot of my maps so perhaps that is what is happening.

Lorddog

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's exactly what happened. Only the original decoding Cartographer can soulstone off their Cartography, and still be able to dig it.