• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Digging multiple chests

Li Mu Bai

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is it possible to dig a few treasure chests and kill the spawn with one character and then lockpick, untrap and take the loot from them by another character on the same account?

Li Mu Bai

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
or alternatively - is it possible to use only one character in this way:
1) decode 5 maps
2) stone off carto and put in mining,
3) dig all the chests, kill the spawned guardians and mark runes
4) stone off mining, put in lockpicking
5) open chests and loot

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basicly the second method might work. But chests do have timers. They despawn after 'some' time. So, if you work too many chests at the same time, you might loose some. Additionally additional monster might spawn while youz loot the chests. (Not shure, if you could lure those ones away from the chest to continue looting.)
You can do maps up to lvl 5 with energy vortexes and around 110 magery + med. (At least that is, what I do.) Guardians of the higher maps appear too tought to me, to dig out multiple of those chests.

Li Mu Bai

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for Your answers. btw The timer You mentioned is rather long - an hour or something like that if i remember correctly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's also the method
1. Dig the map, fight the monsters one at a time (have a rune marked a few screens away, and precast recall/sacred journey as spawn pops - actually safer than invis/hiding, or have a gate precast, then walk back to chest, drawing 1 guardian spawn at a time into solo battle)
2. go home and soulstone off cart for LP
3. Go back and pick chest
4. untrap however you can (is TK still possible off SP? Or just pop the chest and tough it)
5. dig the chest slow enough to where you never fight more than one thing at once.
6. when done, go back and put cart back on for the next dig.

I've just returned after over a year of dealing with multiple family and health issues, but before I left I could do up to level 6 maps (well, everywhere except Tokuno) with a melee paladin that actually kept both Cart and LP on at all times (template uses skill equipment to get 120 swords & tactics, 100+ anatomy, parry & healing, GM cart & LP, and 80 chiv), so I could skip parts 2, 3 & 6 above. If I went the above "swapping" route, I'd be able to add GM Resist, but I find it easier not to swap. Plus, as a human I can cast low level magery (TK can be cast at 0 skill with 25% failure, 100% success if from scroll) and spellweaving (gift of renewal is great even at 0 skill, if you get a high level focus - pile a bunch of non-spellweavers on the circle and cast arcane circle - and the 1-slot summons are great distractions for spawn).

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or alternatively - is it possible to use only one character in this way:
1) decode 5 maps
2) stone off carto and put in mining,
3) dig all the chests, kill the spawned guardians and mark runes
4) stone off mining, put in lockpicking
5) open chests and loot
I have swapped carto for mining after decoding with a tamer, and I use a second account, archer in party, to pick em after dug up and initial spawn is down.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grab several maps.

Decode them, stone off carto and put on mining.

Locate the spot and after a few strikes, move. Stand on the spot and mark a rune. Repeat for each decoded map.

Stone off mining, stone on lock pick.

Recall to the marked spots and dig away.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have not used mining in many many years. I can usually find and dig up the chest within the first 2 minutes of getting there. I prefer to keep those points for more useful skills. I run a tamer treasure hunter and can solo level 7 maps. If I am doing Tram or Fel I usually ask a friend to go with the that the frost dragons can go down quicker. Tram and Fel are the only facets that I have to worry about the timer while doing a level 7 map.