• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

did they implement passive detect?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have the devs implemented changes to stealth recently without announcing them?

I have been revealed by rabbits out in the wild and by slimes and giant rats at despise recently while stealthing around. I received the message "You have been revealed" and it was not because I took damage or stepped on a trap. Looks like they implemented passive detect on Siege.

Mister Sinister

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
funnily enough it seems they even added passive detect to work against hiding too. I had my alt hidden at a champ spawn for protection and he was revealed repetedly by ratmen. I could even understand if they implemented it to nerf stealther's movement but nerfing hiding is a bit much.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been getting revealed a lot the past few weeks. Gotten to the point I've considered just stoning Hiding & Stealth and chucking them into a junk box in Tan's bank box. Even the headless at the Lava area often reveal him now.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Don't fix it, Stealth have ruined Siege for so long time, we should keep this changes, would be nice to see who play the shard and maybe more would choose to fight instead sneaching away :p
Getting passive detect on Siege is really what I did wish for Christmas this year

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fix this Stealth change. It really screws up the fun of hunting by endlessly failing of late, can't sneak past much of anything now. It's really one to damn many annoyances to this game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't fix it, Stealth have ruined Siege for so long time, we should keep this changes, would be nice to see who play the shard and maybe more would choose to fight instead sneaching away :p
Getting passive detect on Siege is really what I did wish for Christmas this year
Players with passive detect is fine, but damn it, set the monster passive detect back to what it was. Trying to walk past a group of monsters and getting revealed for the umpteenth time and slaughtered isn't fun people. I'm tired of going to get rezzed and then getting my gear back. It's getting very bleeping old. The game isn't fun anymore.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Players with passive detect is fine, but damn it, set the monster passive detect back to what it was. Trying to walk past a group of monsters and getting revealed for the umpteenth time and slaughtered isn't fun people. I'm tired of going to get rezzed and then getting my gear back. It's getting very bleeping old. The game isn't fun anymore.
OK I can agree about putting it back for monster passive detect.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have spent much of the morning trying to get revealed. I wandered through the Sleeping Dragon spawn and popped Despise. I was never revealed at either place. I was only revealed when brushing upon ravens, turkeys and one rather cheeky polar bear.

*edit* I was at 75 stealth skill.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started messing around in the Citidel this morning trying for the three sets of badges for a quest, I'm down to one remaining set of armor, failed making it hidden down to by the stairs to the second level to retrieve the last suit twice, it vanished the third trip in while I was clicking his pile of bodies. I was having to rehide every few inches of screen travel or every 15 to 30 seconds. Absolutely ridiculous. My gametimes run out the first two weeks of December, haven't ordered gametime cards to keep my accounts going and don't intend to, the game is no longer fun. Once I lose the last spare suit or the account time runs out, I'm gone.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm currently running 97 Stealth, every spare skill point I could come up with, 80 just wasn't hacking it. Little good it does the last few weeks.

I've routinely hunted the Ter-Mer Lava Area for years as a favorite hunting spot. Having to find a spot to cast EV's or a Reaper at the Fire Daemon from without being killed by all the casters in there was a fun challenge. Now hunting there just leaves me swearing. Got a new keyboard from Amazon sitting beside me to replace the one I'm using now with a crunched keypad area. Won't be connecting it until I quit playing UO or I finish this one off due to playing UO. Or until the devs pull their heads back out into the sunshine and drop this asinine steathing change. Only about two and a half weeks to go, or less if I run out of suits.

Creeger

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Maybe you should call a GM and ask them to reset your character, 'cause my stealth is working fine. Bugs happen...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should call a GM and ask them to reset your character, 'cause my stealth is working fine. Bugs happen...
What's the reset do to your character? Any stat or skill losses?

Maybe the OP and I should try it, we're apparently the only two having drastic problems with Stealth.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I agree that monster passive detect would be kind of bogus, but player passive detect has been long over due on Siege.

What's the reset do to your character? Any stat or skill losses?
No, you wont lose any skills.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll call for a GM on Monday and see what they can do. I'll do basic gathering play where I won't get swarmed with spells while I wait.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that monster passive detect would be kind of bogus, but player passive detect has been long over due on Siege.
I don't know, given you need to invest 100 points to hide and then a mimimum of 75 (generally more) and the ONLY thing you get is hide for the 100 points there, and stealth (assuming you walk slowly) for the 175+ points invested, then yes, monster passive detect is bogus. It is a lot of skill points used to do the ONE thing. It is not like 100 spellweaving or magery or necro where a whole host of abilities are avaialble for the the points invested. But I totally disagree that player passive detect is long over due. If you want to negate my 175 + points to stealth about, then why should you get that for nothing?

Invest 100 points into detect hidden on your template to do it. If you had that invested then yes, I would expect that there should be 'some' passive detect for your char, to within about 2-3 tiles of my char and actually 'using' the skill to detect a stealther within 5-6 tiles of your char.

No player should be able to passive detect a stealther without some points invested to do it or you may as well get rid of the hide stealth skills completely which would totally destroy a large part of the culture of UO.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Then why not remove stealth all together. It should never had been allowed on the shard.

When Siege was born, we did not get recall, the reason was, it should not be possible to just recall away from a fight. Then we got Stealth as it is now and it can be used to stealth away from a fight. It's so much against what Siege was meant to be.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What do you think Siege is "meant to be"?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you think Siege is "meant to be"?
By the way she's always talked she believes Siege was 'meant to be' a pker's dream, a wonderful land full of sheep to slaughter hither and yon wherever she happens to be with their having no real chance to get away from her, not even allowed to try in fact. Prevented from trying to escape and avoid her getting her jollies by killing us. The old attitude that got Trammel added to the game. The lifestyle that made fel such a ghost town on all the shards and Trammel so much more popular. A place that would soon be all poor wittle sad lonely pkers with no sheep to kill.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't know, given you need to invest 100 points to hide and then a mimimum of 75 (generally more) and the ONLY thing you get is hide for the 100 points there, and stealth (assuming you walk slowly) for the 175+ points invested, then yes, monster passive detect is bogus. It is a lot of skill points used to do the ONE thing. It is not like 100 spellweaving or magery or necro where a whole host of abilities are avaialble for the the points invested. But I totally disagree that player passive detect is long over due. If you want to negate my 175 + points to stealth about, then why should you get that for nothing?

Invest 100 points into detect hidden on your template to do it. If you had that invested then yes, I would expect that there should be 'some' passive detect for your char, to within about 2-3 tiles of my char and actually 'using' the skill to detect a stealther within 5-6 tiles of your char.

No player should be able to passive detect a stealther without some points invested to do it or you may as well get rid of the hide stealth skills completely which would totally destroy a large part of the culture of UO.
So I invest 100 skill points in detect only to reveal someone and they are able to instantly hide again with no cool down while I wait 6 or 8 seconds what ever it is, and try to reveal them again? No thanks. The way it works now is broken, and it goes both ways. If I invest 200 skill points in tracking/detect then they should not be able to instantly hide again.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My opinion only here, but I feel Siege was meant to be what we the players make it, and I mean all players when i say that, old and new alike. The shard is changing and we all will need to adapt to the changes and growing pains the shard is currently experiencing.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just got Tanivar reset by GM River, I'll go wander where Bad Things Play again and if things have gotten less revealing, I'll order gametime cards, if not, I'll mutter, cuss, and whack on this keyboard some more.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just got Tanivar reset by GM River, I'll go wander where Bad Things Play again and if things have gotten less revealing, I'll order gametime cards, if not, I'll mutter, cuss, and whack on this keyboard some more.
And then go buy some more game time cards anyway. You forgot to finish your sentence.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree. We invest 180 to 220 points to stealth, pkers should have to invest 200 points into Detect Hidden and Tracking to hunt us and find us.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And then go buy some more game time cards anyway. You forgot to finish your sentence.
Didn't finish my sentence? Been out of school many many gray haired old moons Frodo, you'll need to point it out to me, I can't see the bad sentence structure. :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't finish my sentence? Been out of school many many gray haired old moons Frodo, you'll need to point it out to me, I can't see the bad sentence structure. :)
I did not say it was a bad sentence structure I just finished it because we all know after we rant and rave we still go buy more game time codes.:D

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do have hiding and stealth but it always end up on my soulstone, not even my crafters do have hiding and stealth. I can still run away, if that's what I want, I have a good mount. Something is wrong, when people stealth around in town too. I really wish stealth off Siege :p

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not say it was a bad sentence structure I just finished it because we all know after we rant and rave we still go buy more game time codes.:D
Considering the reset has gotten Stealthing working like it used to, I now will be ordering the Gametime $ Cards after this forum visit. Just went and wandered my favorite hunting area without every Lifestealer, Lava Ele, headless, and their brothers revealing me and then went into the Citidel and wandered around giving wedgies to the NPCs in there with nary a reveal. Could stand right in a group of them and not be suddenly visible and and in deep puppychow.

Off to spend $120 for cash cards to buy gametime with, the pkers still have my hide to hunt if they want to invest the skill points to do so. :D

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do have hiding and stealth but it always end up on my soulstone, not even my crafters do have hiding and stealth. I can still run away, if that's what I want, I have a good mount. Something is wrong, when people stealth around in town too. I really wish stealth off Siege :p
If you've freed up skill points by stoning Hiding and Stealth, then put the player hunting skills Detect Hidden and Tracking in their place and hunt our hides down instead of whining. You want to kill us, then use the dang skills that help you do it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you've freed up skill points by stoning Hiding and Stealth, then put the player hunting skills Detect Hidden and Tracking in their place and hunt our hides down instead of whining. You want to kill us, then use the dang skills that help you do it.
That would still ruin my char, I do not want to be forced to Detect Hidden and Tracking. This skill points are used for fighting skills. Hiding is ok, stealth would be too if you only could move slowly and get unhidden if you get closer than 3-5 tiles to an other player unless you have stealing and snooping too.

Sorry but I dislike stealth, that my opinion

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would still ruin my char, I do not want to be forced to Detect Hidden and Tracking. This skill points are used for fighting skills. Hiding is ok, stealth would be too if you only could move slowly and get unhidden if you get closer than 3-5 tiles to an other player unless you have stealing and snooping too.

Sorry but I dislike stealth, that my opinion
And your entitled to that opinion.

I had to give up other skills I wanted to make room for Hiding and Stealth. You should have to give up other skills to make room for the hunting players skills. You want to do something in game that requires you to have a certain skill, then learn the everloving skill and quit whining.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I invest 100 skill points in detect only to reveal someone and they are able to instantly hide again with no cool down while I wait 6 or 8 seconds what ever it is, and try to reveal them again? No thanks. The way it works now is broken, and it goes both ways. If I invest 200 skill points in tracking/detect then they should not be able to instantly hide again.
Hide has a cooldown too. You cannot instantly hide again if you have just used the skill. The revealler also has the otpion to use exploding pots etc etc, so if you 'reveal' a stealher using the detect hidden skill you can then use a pot of they instantly hide again before they ever have a chance to move more than a tile. The game mechanics are already there to stop that happening. You want to reveal, invest in the skills to do so.

As for passive detect, no thanks, noone should be able to reveal a stealther just by being on the same screen with them for 0 cost to skill points. Stealth has been a part of UO for as long as I can remember so no idea where the attitude that it shouldn't be on siege has come from either. Would make the thief tempate absolutely useless if passive detect was in play. So not only would you nerf the stealther template you would also nerf every single 'thief' template both pvp and pvm in the process.

The way it works now is the way it has always worked so not sure how you think it is broken. A person who has invested the points has done so and gotten a detriment to adding other skills like tactics or EI or whatever else they can't fit on the template due to the points taken up by hide/stealth. Same should apply to those wishing to find the stealther, invest in the points, the skills are there if you want them.

Anyways, just my opinon, you dont nerf two skills just becasue it upsets your game play, Invest skill points in detct and tracking to find the stealther and carry pots to reveal them if they try to hide again before you can slaughter them. :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So wait.you don't have 120 stealth but want to not be revealed like you had 120 stealth..I'd try getting more skill. Or heck get Magery and spam invis. I never have an issue getting to any corse in any part of UO without stealth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So wait.you don't have 120 stealth but want to not be revealed like you had 120 stealth..I'd try getting more skill. Or heck get Magery and spam invis. I never have an issue getting to any corse in any part of UO without stealth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175 skillpoints (or 180 in my case) are for stealthing in medable armor. Everything above like studded or metal armor will require more stealth skill and that's what 120 stealth is for.

Concerning the revealing issues: I haven't been revealed by monsters since I complained about this. I will keep investigating.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And your entitled to that opinion.

I had to give up other skills I wanted to make room for Hiding and Stealth. You should have to give up other skills to make room for the hunting players skills. You want to do something in game that requires you to have a certain skill, then learn the everloving skill and quit whining.
Ok now we drop down to calling people whiners for haven a different opinion than you?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok now we drop down to calling people whiners for haven a different opinion than you?
Over your clearly not thinking you should have to use your skill points on Detect Hidden and Tracking so you can find us and kill us? Because you feel we shouldn't be able to make it difficult for you by trying to avoid being killed? Yes, your whining.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
175 skillpoints (or 180 in my case) are for stealthing in medable armor. Everything above like studded or metal armor will require more stealth skill and that's what 120 stealth is for.

Concerning the revealing issues: I haven't been revealed by monsters since I complained about this. I will keep investigating.

If I remember correctly, you can wear 5 pieces of studded/1piece of meddable armor with only 105 stealth.