• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] Did they do something to change parry gains?

• Thread starter Luke Carjacker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Luke Carjacker

I've trained up parry a bunch of times , and I've actually advised quite a few guildies on how to train parry up quickly. Usually it takes a couple hours to train up parry from 0-120.

So, I finally decided to create a gargoyle and parry is the final skill I want to add. I got together a normal training setup, and I can't seem to gain past about 30 points. Here's what I'm doing:

I put on GM crafted armor to minimize damage. I'm holding a one-handed mace (I have 120 throwing) and a shield. I've got about 7-8 sheep nipping at me, and I can see a string of 1 damage floating above my head, as well as the little white flash indicating that I'm parrying some of these shots, except, no gains at all.

So, I tried with shield only, no luck. Then weapon only, no luck. I tried taking off bushido, no luck. I raised my dex to 80, no luck.

I've got parry set to go up, I've cleared points off so I'm at 540 total right now. I just don't know what's going on.

Is it gargoyle related? Is it throwing related? Did they make it difficulty based so you can't gain off sheep?

Thanks.

L

Luke Carjacker

Ok, I answered my own question (damn I'm smooth :)). Maybe this will be useful information to others. The culprit is throwing. I put throwing on a SS and I'm getting a steady stream of gains now, as originally expected. Don't know what the deal is with throwing, don't even know if parry will work properly with it, but that's why I'm testing I guess.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having problems with Parry too.

Gargoyle character. I went into dog form for HPR.

I have 120 swords but am holding a garigsh pike which is fencing. I have 9 sheep on me.

Gains went fine until 55.6. Now they've stopped. Only at 612 total points, parry is set to go up.

I don't get it?

Maybe I'll just soulstone it on to a human char and do it that way.

L

Luke Carjacker

That's what I ended up doing. Used a human to train parry in the normal way up to 100, then put it back on the garg hoping for the best. I went with a gargish war hammer (2-handed), and left bushido on. No problems going from 100-120 parry on the gargoyle. Got it all trained up in one evening, as expected.

But there's definitely something weird going on with throwing/parry/bushido. I didn't spend enough time with it to figure it out, but gains simply stop. What I did learn, after doing the training is that parry DOES NOT work with bushido & throwing weapon. I tested with an archer and did not parry a single shot. I then did the same test shooting arrows at a sampire and it parried I expected. In this sense, throwing weapons are like bows, parry don't work with them.

So, after doing my training, I ended up putting parry on a SS. I didn't test with throwing & shield, because my template includes bushido.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly think it is tied to gargoyles.

When I first started gaining I went to 55 from 40 in like 5 minutes. Then gains stopped. I tried using sheild no wep, sheild with a wep i'm not proficient in, and a 2 handed wep that i'm not proficient with.

No gains at all. I said screw it, logged on a different char and PvPd. Next day I came back and went back to the sheep and did the same thing I did the previous day. This time my gains went up to 86, and then stopped.

Keep in mind my char has 0 bushido and 0 throwing.

It's almost like there is anti-macro code or something.

There is so much wrong with gargoyles, I don't even think I'll be playing the one I just finished making.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's always fine to try, but really if throwing did work with parry it would be changed as soon as the devs got around to it.
Archery doesnt work with parry, (i know you could use archery with bushido spells for a time after SE came out which was changed) So i would think it would be obvious that the devs dont want ranged weapons to be able to parry.
Like i said tho, worth trying, because if it did work it might be a gimp temp until it was fixed. (if throwing worked right to begin with)

L

Luke Carjacker

What I didn't test was whether throwing/parry would work together with a shield. The setup I tried was throwing/bushido/parry with no shield. That didn't work - bushido allows you to parry with a weapon, but apparently you cannot parry with a throwing weapon just like you can't parry with a bow.

However, what about parrying with a shield? I can understand not being able to parry with a throwing/archery weapon, but not being able to parry with a shield wouldn't make any sense. I didn't try it myself, but at some point I'll try to find out if it's possible to use a throwing weapon & shield with parry but no bushido.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting point, and it does make sense. Guess you wont know untill you try. Maybe throwing is not like archery because there arent any one handed bows?

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a thought to make your testing easy.

I'd hop on TC and set your parry and throw to 120. Ilsh..Sac.. And run up to where the ratman archers are on your way towards the healers grove.

You should be able to tell if you are parrying their arrows in less than 12.578 seconds. :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just ran into this today. Training parry on an unskill capped elf with no bushido. Training with just a shield in hand and 9 sheep attacking. Seemed like about every 15-20 skill points I hit a wall. Killed all the sheep and started over and gains came back each time. I sure don't remember having to change sheep that last time I gmed my parry this way. Sounds like some new anti-macro code to me.