• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Diablo 3

T

Teribithia00

Do you guys think Blizzard is actually going to announce the release of Diablo 3 this weekend? Diabloii.com and some other fan sites are saying they will... but it seems strange they'd release another non-MMO when WoW is such a cash cow.

Thoughts? I think the "secret" announcement is going to be something related to WoW.

L

Lairkingo

They can't release another MMO because then that would steal users from WoW. So for now they have to release single player games. I think when WoW gets old/outdated then we'll see either a Diablo MMO or a Starcraft MMO.

But for now single-player Diablo 3 is it.

V

ValenceTrident

Diablo I and Diablo II were basically the same game. I can't possibly imagine what they would do in D3.

C

ChewingGumWarrior

I am SO excited for D3. I am sure it's going to be an MMO. I know the word on the street is it will be single player w/ Battle.net (and not an MMO) but I think Blizzard is going to do a HUGE secret announcement and tell everyone it's actually an MMO.

*is excited*

V

Volrina

I'm in favor of a MMO maybe World of Diablo. Theres at least 8 books out there they could go to for content but the devs form Blizzard have proved they dont really need help finding game content.

You really already develop your characters when you play DII bnet so it wouldn't be that big a shift.

Instead of playing the same game over and over you would get a world you could move around in. I dont know I just think a Diablo MMO would be doable and very profitable for Bliz.

T

TerminatorSoulBird

Yep... that's the thing Diablo was *always* an MMO just not a very good one. Blizzard should make it a FREE MMO... it would immediately become the biggest game ever envisioned.

I'm SO excited for the announcement.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really hope they do. Seriously the first 2 games made them plenty of cash and were great games. Titan quest was also similar to diablo in almost every way and was a great game even though it was not produced by blizzard.

So yeah I really hope they do continue the series however I think what we hear is nothing more than rumors in the wind.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I played Diablo, Diablo: Hellfire, Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, and after awhile, they get old. Get's incredibly repetitive. Kill the same monsters in the same exact locations over and over, especially if you're after a certain Set Item/Unique.

V

Volrina

Well I think its more than an announcement now its all over the internet, screen shots and the whole lot.

They seem to hint in the description about online play that there will be additional content AVAILABLE which as in the case of Hellgate meant if you want this stuff your going to have to pay a subscription fee for it.

Either way its all a good thing and for those of you that would rather look at a female for hours at a time each race will come with a choice.

C

ChewingGumWarrior

I'm very sad it isn't going to be an MMO. This is a huge mistake for Blizzard. The game is going to fail now.

E

Eldorian

I'm very sad it isn't going to be an MMO. This is a huge mistake for Blizzard. The game is going to fail now.
Hardly. The game will be just as big of a success if not bigger than Diablo 2 (which is STILL being sold on store shelves 8 years later) because of the fan base they already have. Why mess with a franchise that is already proven to work?

C

ChewingGumWarrior

Under that rationale, Blizzard never should have turned the Warcraft franchise in to World of Warcraft.

E

Eldorian

Under that rationale, Blizzard never should have turned the Warcraft franchise in to World of Warcraft.
Wrong. I was disagreeing with the fact that you said Diablo 3 would fail since it's not an MMO. Under your rationale Warcraft 3 would have failed since it was not an MMO, and it did not. Under your rationale Starcraft 2 would fail because it's not World of Starcraft, it will not. Diablo 3 will not fail because it's not an MMO.

P

popsicles

I know its gonna be on the same premise as the diablo 2, but i still got to say im pretty excited about this game. I have been a huge fan of Diablo and i'm glad they are coming out with a new version of the game.

B

Bluebottle

Do you guys think Blizzard is actually going to announce the release of Diablo 3 this weekend? Diabloii.com and some other fan sites are saying they will... but it seems strange they'd release another non-MMO when WoW is such a cash cow.

Thoughts? I think the "secret" announcement is going to be something related to WoW.
If the crash and burn of the Diablo-esque Hellgate London is anything to go by, they will drop the D3 MMO idea like a hot brick!

C

ChewingGumWarrior

Keep in mind Blizzard has resources that Hellgate honestly couldn't even fathom. In one month WoW brings in more money than Hellgate ever had/made.

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
warcraft is such a cash cow that if blizzard really wanted too it is tottally capable of making a diablo III that ROCKs this worlds MMORPG socks off.

I think Blizzard will definatly go forward and make Diablo 3 a full mmorpg, along side an entire solo game as well.

When diablo 2 came out, i was the first level 90 sorc on west coast, and i was a fireball/hydra sorc lol, before ppl figured out faster casting and orbing.

M

mecantile

warcraft is such a cash cow that if blizzard really wanted too it is tottally capable of making a diablo III that ROCKs this worlds MMORPG socks off.

I think Blizzard will definatly go forward and make Diablo 3 a full mmorpg, along side an entire solo game as well.

When diablo 2 came out, i was the first level 90 sorc on west coast, and i was a fireball/hydra sorc lol, before ppl figured out faster casting and orbing.
Blizzard has already publicly announced that they are working on another MMO. For awhile they tried to be coy about it with their postings but it was blatently obvious it was for an MMO other than WoW.

On the user base, does it really matter if they are competing for their own customers? Does it matter which product it comes from if it is all under the same umbrella? Think of the financial benefits you could have offering two successful MMO's under one company.....same billing, they could also provide discounts for users who want to have access to both products, etc. That is why I've always wondered if they would do Star Craft because it is in a different genre that has always struggled in the MMO market.

V

ValenceTrident

Yeah... Starcraft seems the logical next choice. Maybe even an attempt at an MMORTS.