• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Diablo 3 Graphics = Best for Enhanced Client

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The graphics for Diablo 3 are so cool that I suggest Ultima Online adopt a form of them for the Enhanced Client.

Especially the gore, blowing body parts all over the place.
Then it wouldn't be uo anymore with graphics from another game.They need to modernize the enhanced client by keeping the look of uo but taking it out of the 2d graphics.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah theres some awesome looking real 3d engines used in some freeshards. how hard one would be to implement considering the 20 year old broken code i dunno, but if it ever happened in real UO it would be amazing.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO needs to keep the CC, scrap all the leftover UO2 graphics LBR shoehorned in, get rid of the EC, and return to its roots.
yeah, ideally i would prefer the classic graphics with the features of the EC. the EC features are great, but it just looks so horrible i can never get used to it.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing brings in new players faster than something that looks like it should be played on an Atari 2600....

That little tiny playing area on a 26" Widescreen LED....it is one sexy use of black space....

Broadsword should scrap everything that looks like is was updated in the last decade....that way we can keep the player base stable until we all die...

Let them worthless kids play EVE and League of Legends...they don't know what they are missing....all them stupid fancy graphics....

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel as though I've participated in several of these sorts of threads over the past few years. They usually revolve around people posting screenshots of games such as Diablo 3 and Titan Quest while yelling "SEE?! SEE?! IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO A 3D ISOMETRIC GAME THAT DOESN'T LOOK TERRIBLE! USE THIS AS INSPIRATION TO COME UP WITH A GOOD LOOK FOR UO PLZ KTHX BAI!", which is generally a sentiment with which I agree.

However, I think this is the first one I've seen where someone has come out and said "I want you to literally just steal the graphic style and mechanics from another game and make that be UO."

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, ideally i would prefer the classic graphics with the features of the EC. the EC features are great, but it just looks so horrible i can never get used to it.
Or better yet, scrap the CC completely and import the 2D graphics from the CC into the EC and then have a toggle where players can choose what they want to see and what macro system they want. I like the CC as much as any old school player but it's a thing of the past and completely annoying to play on when it takes up about a 3rd of the screen in windowed mode. At least I can comfortably play EC windowed with full screen coverage.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Both Clients are good for the players who like and use them so lets keep both. If any client is removed then we lose players which we don't want. 2d players will never use the enhanced client so it needs to be made modern looking to bring new players in, but keep the uo look and feeling.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play the EC exclusively, but still love the old 2d graphics. My major gripe with the 2d is the small play window. In the EC, I can see about 2-3 times as far on the screen. The EC UI, especially Pinco's, has made game play sooo much easier.

I would switch to 2d if they made a UI similar to the EC, but changed the play window to be scalable to full screen.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my understanding the classic client is still popular because it allows you to run all sorts of naughty scripts, hacks and stuff like this. I'm not saying everyone uses it for this reason though.

I guess in an ideal world the ability to have one client that can toggle between 2D and 3D modes would be the way to go.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, I think this is the first one I've seen where someone has come out and said "I want you to literally just steal the graphic style and mechanics from another game and make that be UO."
Well, Pinco already did that for the EC. He "stole" the look of Diablo for custom health and mana bars ;P.

Diablo III is full fledged 3D movement, right? They're not going to make an entirely new game. I mean come on, they just told us recently they found a very easy way to brush up the hi-res project yet over a month later it's still not up for bat, let alone warming up on deck. Not sure it's even on the bench yet. Swing, batta, batta, batta.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my understanding the classic client is still popular because it allows you to run all sorts of naughty scripts, hacks and stuff like this. I'm not saying everyone uses it for this reason though.

I guess in an ideal world the ability to have one client that can toggle between 2D and 3D modes would be the way to go.
Yeah like nobody's figured out how to use the EC for anything naughty.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The client that UO truly needs is one that doesn't have a memory leak and runs fast on Windows 7+. Because right now, EC takes a depressing amount of resources to run.