• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tactics] Dexer PvP

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its really quite in here when it comes to dexer PvP. Maybe because its just a gimped archer, maybe because its simple i dont know. Anyway since im just starting to train one my self i just wanted to put it here for input.
Ive been PvP'ing as a mage for as long as i played this game and it is now time to test something new.
I was thinking something quite basic like:

120 Weapon skill
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy
120 Bushido
120 Parry
100 Healing
50+ Chivalry

My first thought was to drop anatomy to 100 and boost chiv to 70ish.
Do anyone know the formulas for healing with aids and the damage boost you get from those extra 20 points in anatomy?
Im allso going to fool around with 90-120 tactics and see what the reall difference is in damage out but. I would love to fit more then 50 chiv and maybe a bouple of points into meditation.

What do you think about this template? No resist might be a prob when ppl start to manavamp me, but LMC/MR/med/manapool will hopefully be enough.
Btw can you evade manavamp with evasion? Would be awesome.

Will update as i go :)

Thanks in advance.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You probably know most of this but...

Mana draught items
Petals
JOAT + Teleport scrolls (buy from npc) saves you getting efielded in/out of places
JOAT + Wall Of Stone scrolls (buy from npc) trap people with ya
Trap Box
Apples
Pots
Faction bandages
Enhanced bandages
Bolas & live mount
Weps for Disarm/Mortal/Ai/Bleed/Nerve/Feint
You'll also need to watch out for Blood Oath/Mind Rot/Sleep/Mass Sleep/Spell Plauge/Bombard/Purge (of your potions/Spellweaving buffs)... and maybe some other stuff. Though most of it is negated with items.

& yeah they're easy to play.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very good survivability Butters but you will struggle to get kills because when people get low they can simply run away.

I would not recommend building a mele character at this point and time to be honest.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not recommend building a mele character at this point and time to be honest.
This is exactly why im tempted! All i see today is archers and the odd mages. I normaly play a mage but its impossible to play on my current connection. So that leaves:
Tamer (hate when other use it, so im not that tempted)
Dexer
Archer (probably wont happen either, just hate it)

That doesnt leave that many options.
I have a bush/stealth/ninja so i have most skills trained. Think im gonna give it a try and if i dont like it i can allways go back to WOW or LOL. :stretcher:

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isnt it really sad what have heppened to dexers?
I mean archers are dexers that can stay out of harms way, run and shoot, balanced weapons, etc etc, cant be affected of bloodoath, etc etc etc.

What do dexers really have that archers doesnt?
Bleed, Nerve strike, parry(if bush).... probably more but i cant think of them atm lol.

L

longshanks

u can get kills on this template. you have 4 ways to heal:
pots
chiv
heal
confidence

nerve strike is ur friend.

imbue yourself the following
sick bokuto
sick cleaver
sick bone harvester
sick ornate axe

ride a bird, which can be put on the tamer archers pet after he dismounts

disarm
bleed
nerve strike

you'll put the fear of god in him at this point. play with your specials from this point depending upon who ur facing.

good medable suit with plenty of mr, mi, lmc si.

your healing ability allows you to stand toe to toe in 1v1.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u can get kills on this template. you have 4 ways to heal:
pots
chiv
heal
confidence

nerve strike is ur friend.

imbue yourself the following
sick bokuto
sick cleaver
sick bone harvester
sick ornate axe

ride a bird, which can be put on the tamer archers pet after he dismounts

disarm
bleed
nerve strike

you'll put the fear of god in him at this point. play with your specials from this point depending upon who ur facing.

good medable suit with plenty of mr, mi, lmc si.

your healing ability allows you to stand toe to toe in 1v1.
Yeah you make some good points. Thanks.

What i hate with most swords is that most only have one "good" special. Dont get me wrong i am going swords for this temple but i think im gonna look around for some sick UBWS weapons as well.

Do anyone have a link to an updated SSI/stamina chart?

S

Stupid Miner

Yeah you make some good points. Thanks.

What i hate with most swords is that most only have one "good" special. Dont get me wrong i am going swords for this temple but i think im gonna look around for some sick UBWS weapons as well.

Do anyone have a link to an updated SSI/stamina chart?
Their weapons with good specials tend to be 2-handed.

http://www.woosworld.net/uo/pub40ssi/
this chart is refered to a lot, i've actually never tested whether it's right or not, or what's wrong with the Stratics one if anything

D

Death Adder

This is exactly why im tempted! All i see today is archers and the odd mages. I normaly play a mage but its impossible to play on my current connection. So that leaves:
Dexer
I love dexxer PvP. I have my PvP mages, and to be honest I much prefer the dexxers. Firstly, the skill required to play mages is highly overrated, IMO. But most importantly, mages have to run from dexxers and take advantage of connection issues to win (the famous "circle run" where you can't actually see where they are and have to guess, as a dexxer). I have played mages in every other game in my life going back to AD&D when I was 10 (I'm now 39), but I have always hated playing UO mages because I hate running from people and I hate taking advantage of a non-game issue. Just MO, not trying to start a big argument here.

In regards to playing a dexxer, I have to say your connection issue is going to be a problem. To play a dexxer you simply MUST have as good a connection as anyone else. If you have a bad connection, you can't close the distance, which is obviously necessary for dexxers. You might have to go with archer if your connect isn't good enough. If someone is running away, pursue and you will always eventually catch them. If they don't have to stop to cast something, they'll still eventually run into some bramble or something that slows them down for a split-second, and that's really all you need.

In regards to your template, I think no Resist is going to really hurt you, especially once people figure out you don't have it. In a random dust-up it might take a while but in this game you run into the same peeps more than once, and they tend to remember who has Resist and who doesn't. Not only will you get mana vamped, but even with a box you can be para-ganked by only 2 people. You will have huge problems with necros, like 30 point Pain Spikes, 20 second Blood Oaths, and other nasty stuff. I haven't a clue about Mystics (coming back to the game after 2 years away) but I'm sure they have a way to attack non-Resist players. I strongly recommend you find room for Resist, probably by dropping Chiv (though 55 Chiv can be good, and 75 Chiv also to add Divine Fury) and dropping Tactics to 100 (or 90), Anatomy to 80 (or even 61, who cares if you can rez but you need to cure poison), and maybe Healing to 90. You be the judge but those numbers are workable and will free up skill points for Resist.

You might also consider Ninjitsu, if you solo PvP. Otherwise you will be Dismount-ganked all the time. It's also very nice to be able to DP from a distance with shuriken/darts. But this might be a luxury and isn't really necessary if you PvP in groups or with partners.

One thing to consider is that dexxers DO have a ranged attack in GE pots (or Melisande's Fermented Wine, if you can find them, which are about 50% more powerful than GEs). Set a macro that fires one off and can hit peeps on the run (or if they get stuck). I've probably finished 50% of my dexxer battles with a GE in the back as they're running for their lives. If you have an ecru ring on, all the better, but it's not a requirement.

Another thing to consider with dexxers is that their weapons are very fast compared to archers, so you can be creative with your armor. You don't need 180 stam to get max swing speed like archers do, so you can put stuff like HPR or Reflect Physical on your armor instead. I'm putting together an HPR/RP suit for my guy, and can't wait to try it out on all these archers with their Quivers of Infinity (100% physical damage conversion).

If you have Bushido, you can ride a Lesser Hiryu. I recommend this, and have it guard you so it attacks anyone who Dismounts you. Dismount is useless in 1v1 so anytime you're Dismounted you can expect a gank to follow. The Hiryu helps and buys you some time. Train it up so that it's most effective.

I have also found it useful to add "attack last" to some commonly used macros (like Lightning Strike or Curse Weapon), so you don't auto-attack whoever attacks you and spread your damage around. You wanna focus on one guy until he's dead, dead, DEAD. If he runs, all the better, he's leaving his support group behind.

I should also add that, while I personally find Disarm cheap and refuse to use it, it's quite useful against other dexxers, if you're so inclined.

Weapons-wise, carry a bunch for the specials in case you find yourself in a 1v1 against another good PvPer. You need to have the ability to get creative. However, 90% of the time you want to go in and kill as fast as possible. That means 3 consecutive AI's delivered over the course of 2.5 seconds (hit - 1.25 sec - hit - 1.25 sec - dead). Make sure you have the mana for this. I personally like the leafblade as my main weapon, because I solo gankers and Feint goes a long way towards keeping me alive. You also need a way to stop their healing, so make sure that if you don't have Ninjitsu like me to have the other special be poison/bleed/mortal. Kryss can be very good, as can Hammer Pick. Cleavers are nice but make sure you have an AI weapon to switch to after 2 hits with cleaver. I don't like switching so much but others are cool with it. Remember you can only do 2 actions per second so switching can slow you down (my biggest problem is trying to do too much too quickly).

If I think of anything else, I'll chime in, but I think I've covered the basics.

D

Death Adder

http://www.woosworld.net/uo/pub40ssi/
this chart is refered to a lot, i've actually never tested whether it's right or not, or what's wrong with the Stratics one if anything
Those charts are accurate (except for one typo that used to be there and might still be). I created my own spreadsheet using the dev-given formula that matches theirs, and also tested most of those data points personally on TC.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love dexxer PvP. I have my PvP mages, and to be honest I much prefer the dexxers. Firstly, the skill required to play mages is highly overrated, IMO. But most importantly, mages have to run from dexxers and take advantage of connection issues to win (the famous "circle run" where you can't actually see where they are and have to guess, as a dexxer). I have played mages in every other game in my life going back to AD&D when I was 10 (I'm now 39), but I have always hated playing UO mages because I hate running from people and I hate taking advantage of a non-game issue. Just MO, not trying to start a big argument here.

In regards to playing a dexxer, I have to say your connection issue is going to be a problem. To play a dexxer you simply MUST have as good a connection as anyone else. If you have a bad connection, you can't close the distance, which is obviously necessary for dexxers. You might have to go with archer if your connect isn't good enough. If someone is running away, pursue and you will always eventually catch them. If they don't have to stop to cast something, they'll still eventually run into some bramble or something that slows them down for a split-second, and that's really all you need.

In regards to your template, I think no Resist is going to really hurt you, especially once people figure out you don't have it. In a random dust-up it might take a while but in this game you run into the same peeps more than once, and they tend to remember who has Resist and who doesn't. Not only will you get mana vamped, but even with a box you can be para-ganked by only 2 people. You will have huge problems with necros, like 30 point Pain Spikes, 20 second Blood Oaths, and other nasty stuff. I haven't a clue about Mystics (coming back to the game after 2 years away) but I'm sure they have a way to attack non-Resist players. I strongly recommend you find room for Resist, probably by dropping Chiv (though 55 Chiv can be good, and 75 Chiv also to add Divine Fury) and dropping Tactics to 100 (or 90), Anatomy to 80 (or even 61, who cares if you can rez but you need to cure poison), and maybe Healing to 90. You be the judge but those numbers are workable and will free up skill points for Resist.

You might also consider Ninjitsu, if you solo PvP. Otherwise you will be Dismount-ganked all the time. It's also very nice to be able to DP from a distance with shuriken/darts. But this might be a luxury and isn't really necessary if you PvP in groups or with partners.

One thing to consider is that dexxers DO have a ranged attack in GE pots (or Melisande's Fermented Wine, if you can find them, which are about 50% more powerful than GEs). Set a macro that fires one off and can hit peeps on the run (or if they get stuck). I've probably finished 50% of my dexxer battles with a GE in the back as they're running for their lives. If you have an ecru ring on, all the better, but it's not a requirement.

Another thing to consider with dexxers is that their weapons are very fast compared to archers, so you can be creative with your armor. You don't need 180 stam to get max swing speed like archers do, so you can put stuff like HPR or Reflect Physical on your armor instead. I'm putting together an HPR/RP suit for my guy, and can't wait to try it out on all these archers with their Quivers of Infinity (100% physical damage conversion).

If you have Bushido, you can ride a Lesser Hiryu. I recommend this, and have it guard you so it attacks anyone who Dismounts you. Dismount is useless in 1v1 so anytime you're Dismounted you can expect a gank to follow. The Hiryu helps and buys you some time. Train it up so that it's most effective.

I have also found it useful to add "attack last" to some commonly used macros (like Lightning Strike or Curse Weapon), so you don't auto-attack whoever attacks you and spread your damage around. You wanna focus on one guy until he's dead, dead, DEAD. If he runs, all the better, he's leaving his support group behind.

I should also add that, while I personally find Disarm cheap and refuse to use it, it's quite useful against other dexxers, if you're so inclined.

Weapons-wise, carry a bunch for the specials in case you find yourself in a 1v1 against another good PvPer. You need to have the ability to get creative. However, 90% of the time you want to go in and kill as fast as possible. That means 3 consecutive AI's delivered over the course of 2.5 seconds (hit - 1.25 sec - hit - 1.25 sec - dead). Make sure you have the mana for this. I personally like the leafblade as my main weapon, because I solo gankers and Feint goes a long way towards keeping me alive. You also need a way to stop their healing, so make sure that if you don't have Ninjitsu like me to have the other special be poison/bleed/mortal. Kryss can be very good, as can Hammer Pick. Cleavers are nice but make sure you have an AI weapon to switch to after 2 hits with cleaver. I don't like switching so much but others are cool with it. Remember you can only do 2 actions per second so switching can slow you down (my biggest problem is trying to do too much too quickly).

If I think of anything else, I'll chime in, but I think I've covered the basics.

Awesome info and input. Thanks a bunch mate.

I will run swords for this template and so long ive gotten my self a nice Bokuto and a nice Hatchet.
Dunno what kind of bleed weapon ill get yet, time will tell.

When it comes to resist i dont really think i need it. Ive been running lots of chars through the years without and i have managed just fine.
I ws tempted to run 4/6 chiv for quite some time but it would gimp the suit to much.

Im currently:

120 Swords
120 Tactics
100 Anatomy
115 Bushido
120 Parry
100 Healing
75 Chivalry

I just need to train Bushido to 120 and then im off to try this out, ohhh and i still need to bond my pet.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dexer

That doesnt leave that many options.
I have a bush/stealth/ninja so i have most skills trained. Think im gonna give it a try and if i dont like it i can allways go back to WOW or LOL. :stretcher:
If you have a bad connection the best thing to play is an archer in my opinion.

-Lorax

L

Lady Vengful Spirit

Not that I would ever use this template, but if you really want to have a malee skill, maybe you should consider something like this. The sad and simple truth is, you won't get far in pvp unless you have a ranged attack of some kind.
120 Weapon skill
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
120 Resisting spells
120 Archery
100 Healing
60+ Chivalry

Diversity of templates is what makes this game fun though. Go with whatever template you play best. Everyone can say to you *The only good charactor is a mage* But if your not good on a mage, Then play something you are more comfortable with.

D

Death Adder

Ranged attacks are great, but keep in mind anyone can throw a GE pot. I've finished many a kill with a GE pot, even back in the day of Vanq weapons.

N

NickyDishes

120 archery
120 Macing
120 tactics
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 resist