• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs Question: Sim Children??

A

angiearies

Do you think it will be possible to incorporate sims the children age group into the game? Not infant, but kiddies??

If you look at most groups in the game, they are families, parents and kiddies with extended members. I was just hoping that if you have already considered this or is it something you all CAN consider.

I

imported_remflyer

Quite a while back this topic came up at the Community Pub. The Devs said that they would not be putting sim children into our game. This was well received by the players that were present as most expressed the opinion that they would not want to see sim children in our game.

K

Keep It Real

Please, no kids. I used to like kids until I had some of my own...............

I

imported_SimTripps

ROFL! I hear that... Like I don't hear enough whining already? lol...

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Hmm...it would be interesting to choose to make a 'teen' sim as opposed to an adult sim though.

Hmm....maybe later down the road the devs could think about that again.

I think having that 'option' at the create-a-sim page to make your sim a teen, could be part of the 'parental' controls system for the game. The sim of course would remain a teen for ever and would not be able to grow up or it would need to be addressed somehow.

"Teen" sims could be limited on certain objects they can use like the love tub/bed. Also would not be allowed onto lots considered 'adult' rated such as 'love' lots. And other players would have no excuse for not realizing the player they are hitting on may be under age.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm...it would be interesting to choose to make a 'teen' sim as opposed to an adult sim though.

Hmm....maybe later down the road the devs could think about that again.

I think having that 'option' at the create-a-sim page to make your sim a teen, could be part of the 'parental' controls system for the game. The sim of course would remain a teen for ever and would not be able to grow up or it would need to be addressed somehow.

"Teen" sims could be limited on certain objects they can use like the love tub/bed. Also would not be allowed onto lots considered 'adult' rated such as 'love' lots. And other players would have no excuse for not realizing the player they are hitting on may be under age.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not want child sims in the game but I like your idea Dutch. What if in EA-Land anyone who is registered as 18 and under could only be allowed to make teen sims. Expand on your idea. No more children or teens pretending to be adults. Teen sims could not see more mature CC if we have a rating system. Lot controls could be checked to choose adults, teens or both.

The Devs could make it that anyone who is underage now (as per registration information) when entering EA-Land would have to go to a teen create-a-sim page. They would change their sim looks and status to teen but of course would retain all their earned skills, account age etc. When a registered teen turns 18 they would then be allowed to go to an adult create-a-sim page (if they wish) to change into an adult sim.

I

imported_corpatortis

It should not happen because anyone seen using explicit language (re : cybering) to a younger character would be committing a crime.

There was an incident in SL about it. You can make your avatar look young there. An adult avatar was seen having relations with a child avatar. This was immediately reported and investigated.

M

MandiK

I wouldnt wanna see children in the game. For several reasons, lol.

G

The basic flaw with that and most 'isolate the young ones' scenarios, is that EA Games cannot do a background check on every registrant to make sure that they are an adult ....not a teen using an adult's card, nor can they insure that no teen creates an avatar on the account, after registration.

And as long as an adult can pretend, to be a teen or a teen can pretend, to be an adult, then, obvious age identified avatars, just become predator magnets. It is like painting a bulls eye on them, saying "here I am, just what you were looking for, the real deal!".

All it does, in reality, is give adults a false sense of security, that what appears to be, is true....when there is no reasonable or practical way on the Internet, to guarantee that.

In my opinion, keeping everyone guessing who is young and who is not, is the best way to keep everyone on their toes and cautious.

G

I agree with Gilly. Second Life recently had some trouble along the lines of being able to create avatars that didn't look like adults.

M

Meggers

I have no children in RL, all of them planned. The last thing I need is a pixel chasing after me screaming "MOMMY!!!!!!!"

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

It should not happen because anyone seen using explicit language (re : cybering) to a younger character would be committing a crime.

There was an incident in SL about it. You can make your avatar look young there. An adult avatar was seen having relations with a child avatar. This was immediately reported and investigated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....TSO is not immune to child molesting perverts. I've had the pleasure of kicking pervs rear end myself. And don't look at EA for help because they won't get involved. It's only a matter of time before someone in TSO gets busted and ends up on the news too.

Then again, some players 'act' like adults or lie and 'say' they are adults. With a teen select a sim, they would no longer be able to do that.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

The basic flaw with that and most 'isolate the young ones' scenarios, is that EA Games cannot do a background check on every registrant to make sure that they are an adult ....not a teen using an adult's card, nor can they insure that no teen creates an avatar on the account, after registration.

[/ QUOTE ]
EA Games does not have to do background checks. What online game does? You have to go by what your customers register as. I believe most players would be truthful in applying as an adult or teen. You will always have those who will pose as something they are not and you have no control about that. However if a customer lies on his registration the responsibility is on the player not EA.
<blockquote><hr>

And as long as an adult can pretend, to be a teen or a teen can pretend, to be an adult, then, obvious age identified avatars, just become predator magnets. It is like painting a bulls eye on them, saying "here I am, just what you were looking for, the real deal!".

All it does, in reality, is give adults a false sense of security, that what appears to be, is true....when there is no reasonable or practical way on the Internet, to guarantee that.

In my opinion, keeping everyone guessing who is young and who is not, is the best way to keep everyone on their toes and cautious. <blockquote><hr>

I understand what you are saying about teen avatars becoming obvious targets but the idea would be that a teen avatar would have built in safe guards. Dutch's idea was to limit what objects teen avatars could use. I would suggest that teen avatars would have an automatic filter put on their chat to keep out X-rated language. That way if a pervert started cybering them all they would see is $hkse&amp;#@.

Perverts are not cautious about who is an adult or not behind a sim. One of my first experiences in this game was to have a pervert land on my lot and cyber me. I am an adult so I could handle it. I don't think teens should have to be expose to that at all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

One of my first experiences in this game was to have a pervert land on my lot and cyber me. I am an adult so I could handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and how do you know that was another adult? Some of the most flagrant and disgusting, crudeness in this game, is done by teens.

No, I am not worried about 'bad language' or blatantly crude suggestions....what I worry about, is the predator, pretending to be another teen and conning them into giving out their YIM or email addresses......or arranging 'meetings' with someone that they see as another teen......that is the false 'safety' that a 'teen' avatar, operated by a predator, can finesse to their own advantage.

We already have language filters, anyone can avoid persistently crude people and there is no 100% effective way of protecting anyone from vulgarity on the Internet.

Forcing the vulnerable to stand out like sore thumbs, so the jackals can hunt them easily, is the very worst way to try, in my opinion.

M

Meggers

One of my first experiences in this game was to have a pervert land on my lot and cyber me. I am an adult so I could handle it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and how do you know that was another adult? Some of the most flagrant and disgusting, crudeness in this game, is done by teens.
----------------------------------

I had a 12 year old ask me to cyber. I told him I don't cyber at all and especially not with children. He said he wanted me to make a man out of him. I told him he had 10 seconds to disappear or he would be able to hang his "manhood" on the handlebars of his bicycle.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am not worried about 'bad language' or blatantly crude suggestions....what I worry about, is the predator, pretending to be another teen and conning them into giving out their YIM or email addresses......or arranging 'meetings' with someone that they see as another teen......that is the false 'safety' that a 'teen' avatar, operated by a predator, can finesse to their own advantage.

We already have language filters, anyone can avoid persistently crude people and there is no 100% effective way of protecting anyone from vulgarity on the Internet.

Forcing the vulnerable to stand out like sore thumbs, so the jackals can hunt them easily, is the very worst way to try, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said the person was an adult, just perverted but it would be nice if a teen would never have to experience that. I would like to see that lauguage filter mandatory for teens.

Your concern for teens giving out their personal information is of course the big worry. They need to reminded that anyone they meet on the internet may not be who they seem. This lesson needs to be learn regardless of what the avatar looks like.

As for them standing out like sore thumbs I think many of them do anyways by their chat. Having a special teen category with teen avatars would put in additional safeguards that's all. Nothing is fool proof.

Back to the topic of this thread. Sim children are a bad idea and it seems that the Devs thought that too. Makes me shudder just to think about it.

I

imported_CrazyGirl

*ttl*

What about NPC children? Sort of like pets...

You could have Orphanages.

The children could follow your sim around and beg for food.

Then those that don't want sim children, didn't have to have them and those that do want them, could.

One of the most asked questions by new players in game is: "How do I go about getting Sim Children without having to get married?"

G

If the Dev's decide to add children to the game, I better see Chris Hansen in game.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

One of the most asked questions by new players in game is: "How do I go about getting Sim Children without having to get married?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard a single newbie ask that question.. ever. But no need to get angry and throw the polling population at us.
If you say people want children I guess I can believe you. But they would have to be like pets not real people

I

imported_CrazyGirl

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard a single newbie ask that question.. ever. But no need to get angry and throw the polling population at us.
If you say people want children I guess I can believe you. But they would have to be like pets not real people

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Corp, I figured it was pretty much implied in my post that the most asked question in game was asked of me, by new players. I didn't think I needed to elaborate on that, but I guess I was wrong.

I also said that they would be like pets. NPC children.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Corp, I figured it was pretty much implied in my post that the most asked question in game was asked of me, by new players. I didn't think I needed to elaborate on that, but I guess I was wrong.

I also said that they would be like pets. NPC children.

[/ QUOTE ]

npc children?

Hm...

just like real life. You can't control them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

npc children?

Hm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse, they would be like <u>other people's children</u>!

I can honestly say that whenever I see someone else's child on the grocery store floor bawling at 150+ decibels, I have never once thought "I wish we had that in TSO."

N

nobuttkisser

Having a "sim child" into an offline game is fine. you control your game. however with an online community, you NEVER know who is behind the advitar you are interacting with... and lets face it. there are too many adults who "exploit" in numerous ways that tends to be not all that healthy.

If you look at some of the behavoral activities that we as adults have engaged in the sims online in the past, would you REALLY want a child exposed to that? sorry as a parent, and as a person who has dealt with juvinile in crisis (juvinile probation, child placement reviews, family court, ect.) I for one would NOT want to see ANY activity online that would involve a minor sim... why. because believe it or not... whats in the mind soon becomes manifested in real life and we DO NOT want or desire any person's depraved activity to be acted out in this manner.

now, you may not like what I said but lets face it the truth is the truth so I applaud Maxis for not placing children in harms way no matter if its real children or sims acted out through depraved imagination.... nuff said

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

npc children?

Hm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse, they would be like <u>other people's children</u>!

I can honestly say that whenever I see someone else's child on the grocery store floor bawling at 150+ decibels, I have never once thought "I wish we had that in TSO."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha Milton thats the truth of it. I hate when kids go all pterodactyl. If TSO introduced NPC children, I'd make them do my cleaning, cooking. I'd get my own little child labor thing going on. Make those jams little Bobby and Susie. Momma needs some new clothes.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

HAHA Jackie.....heaven help little Bobbie and Susie if momma sim is making a cemetery hey?

lmao

G

Oh I will.

Actually I started out being sarcastic. But I actually do want me some child labor slaves.

I just don't think I'll be able to sell it to EA via the wiki.
"Give Jackiee some laborers kthnx"

So maybe those who want it should get on over there and put a positive spin on it... so I can make my dreams come true!

Help little Bobby and Suzie find a home today!

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Oh I will.

Actually I started out being sarcastic. But I actually do want me some child labor slaves.

I just don't think I'll be able to sell it to EA via the wiki.
"Give Jackiee some laborers kthnx"

So maybe those who want it should get on over there and put a positive spin on it... so I can make my dreams come true!

Help little Bobby and Suzie find a home today!

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Having a "sim child" into an offline game is fine. you control your game. however with an online community, you NEVER know who is behind the advitar you are interacting with... and lets face it. there are too many adults who "exploit" in numerous ways that tends to be not all that healthy.

If you look at some of the behavoral activities that we as adults have engaged in the sims online in the past, would you REALLY want a child exposed to that? sorry as a parent, and as a person who has dealt with juvinile in crisis (juvinile probation, child placement reviews, family court, ect.) I for one would NOT want to see ANY activity online that would involve a minor sim... why. because believe it or not... whats in the mind soon becomes manifested in real life and we DO NOT want or desire any person's depraved activity to be acted out in this manner.

now, you may not like what I said but lets face it the truth is the truth so I applaud Maxis for not placing children in harms way no matter if its real children or sims acted out through depraved imagination.... nuff said

[/ QUOTE ]

If Jackiee got her way, I'd be all for having sim children in game

On the other hand, I remember a few years back someone in TC had a place where the bio touted "come watch little boys and girls take baths." It went on from there. Maxis removed it after a bit.

Sim children if they grew up would lead to new generations, yes? Would this need to involve the old idea of sims having finite lives, and passing on at a certain point so that the next generation could take over? At one time the design called for shamen to be in charge of a sort of assisted suicide. It was, as I recall, going to be the shamen who could delete your character, not the game interface. I seem to recall it was all part of the "generations" concept.

As for me, I want to see the space aliens that were featured on the original game box! Abductions...now that would be fun.
Planet EA, anyone?

I

imported_CrazyGirl

<blockquote><hr>

Sim children if they grew up would lead to new generations, yes? Would this need to involve the old idea of sims having finite lives, and passing on at a certain point so that the next generation could take over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of something a whole lot more simplistic. NPC Children working in the same way our dogs and cats do.

Could be another money drain for the Economy.
Wouldn't be able to take them to other lots.
Very few interactions with them.
Their behavior patterns would be somewhat docile.

Jackiee made me smile. LOL

I was going to make a Wiki page with Pie Menus and New Objects, but I was told it would be a huge waste of my time, so... nvm.

I was only trying to find a solution to make everyone happy. (Ha Ha!)

Alien Abuctions would be cool if I could have an Alien Child.

Well, Alien Abudctions would be neat regardless.

G

<blockquote><hr>

HAHA Jackie.....heaven help little Bobbie and Susie if momma sim is making a cemetery hey?

lmao

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the first time I actually laffed out loud at a post.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

I was thinking of something a whole lot more simplistic. NPC Children working in the same way our dogs and cats do.

Very few interactions with them.
Their behavior patterns would be somewhat docile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call this "soap opera children." In soap operas the babies and kids are always placidly playing in their playpens, or taking naps. Adults only interact with them on their terms, they have docile behaviors. (Excepting that witch baby, whatever show that is...) Adult activities go on unimpeded by the needs of children. Heh...fantasy worlds are great!

Well, if you want kids to take care of in game, I think that is cool. Could we use the same bath thing, and since the pets don't like the play gym maybe NPC kids would use it...(Heck, I want to use the play gym thing!!!)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Haha Milton thats the truth of it. I hate when kids go all pterodactyl. If TSO introduced NPC children, I'd make them do my cleaning, cooking. I'd get my own little child labor thing going on. Make those jams little Bobby and Susie. Momma needs some new clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooking and cleaning? Think big. They could be cranking out the Kathy Lee line of custom content t-shirts in a sim sweat shop.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooking and cleaning? Think big. They could be cranking out the Kathy Lee line of custom content t-shirts in a sim sweat shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milton, now you are speaking my language.

Lets hope these little rugrats have some talent, lord knows I wasn't blessed with any.

Then again, neither was Kathi Lee....

G

You know your actually making the whole sim brat thing sound appealing...do you think they would have child labor laws?? I'm sure I could teach 4 of them how to pizza, or a sweatshop sounds good to me too.

What worries me is they outcry of "What you killed off and NPC kid?!?!" posts were sure to encounter, cuz we all know some of them are likely to get the axe right? I mean really who wouldnt kill the papergirl given half a chance, I know I would!

G

<blockquote><hr>

You know your actually making the whole sim brat thing sound appealing...do you think they would have child labor laws?? I'm sure I could teach 4 of them how to pizza, or a sweatshop sounds good to me too.

What worries me is they outcry of "What you killed off and NPC kid?!?!" posts were sure to encounter, cuz we all know some of them are likely to get the axe right? I mean really who wouldnt kill the papergirl given half a chance, I know I would!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there would be a small outcry. There always is. Lord that reminds me I have to find that post about the cruelty of bear rugs...

I could just see EA raiding on sweat shop bot shops full of kids botting.
I would hope I'd have an option to dress them in sacks to really drive the point home. Of course I'd let them play for like 10 minutes which is like ... what... a sim hour?

But seriously, this is why I do not have children in real life. At four they would be using the microwave and making me dinner.

W

wishywashygirl

Ok, these NPC tricycle motors, that are like pets... would you go to a pet ... errr... kid... store and purchase them in little pink or blue crates similar to the pet cages?

I know one thing... if we get stuck with sim kids they better come potty trained, fully skilled, and ready to go to work in the robot factory.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, these NPC tricycle motors, that are like pets... would you go to a pet ... errr... kid... store and purchase them in little pink or blue crates similar to the pet cages?

I know one thing... if we get stuck with sim kids they better come potty trained, fully skilled, and ready to go to work in the robot factory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perzactly - it's one thing to have one old enuff to wait on me hand and foot, but it's an entirely different bag of cats if it's young enuff to have an "accident" on my expensive carpet.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have no children in RL, all of them planned. The last thing I need is a pixel chasing after me screaming "MOMMY!!!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Lemme get this straight - you have NO children in RL....... and you "planned" every one of them???????

I have GOT to learn how to speak Meggers!

G

So if the kids are like the NPC pets, when we're done "playing" (and that sounded really bad) with the kids, do we like them up in a cage before we leave the lot?

Will there be rare kids?

Will people start selling them for ungodly amounts? Kid pulls?

Will some be nice and others be like the kids from children of the corn?

So many questions...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Lemme get this straight - you have NO children in RL....... and you "planned" every one of them???????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a play on words. I got it and laughed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a play on words. I got it and laughed.

[/ QUOTE ]
No disrespect intended, Milton - but... you laff at staples.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you suggested not being able to take them to other lots. Can you imagine the chaos on skill lots with all those unattended npc babies left to their own devices while their sim parents go afk?

On the positive side, it could create an interesting market for custom content - we'd have to make stools for the npc toddlers to stand on so that they could reach the jam and gnome stations when we send them off to earn money for us. Then we'd need a taller stool so that they can reach the activation button on the stations at the factory ....

Polly

I

imported_CrazyGirl

<blockquote><hr>

we'd have to make stools for the npc toddlers to stand on so that they could reach the jam and gnome stations when we send them off to earn money for us. Then we'd need a taller stool so that they can reach the activation button on the stations at the factory ....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO... I totally thought that was a joke made by the others.

Cats and Dogs don't earn money, nor would NPC children be able to. We would have to take care of them.

However, stools for the Pinball/Arcade Game (already in game and rarely used) would be cool. Although, I believe in the Offline Sims 1 Version, stools magically appeared for use of sinks, etc.

G

I don't know, but when you said stools, I was thinking of a very different kind of stool. stool for NPC kids...yeah.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Then we'd need a taller stool so that they can reach the activation button on the stations at the factory ....

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you just see the armies of child ghosts outside the robot factory? It is hard enough to stay alive in there when you have free ambulation, but stools...
Oh, the humanity! Shamen could become ambulance chasers, big time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

we'd have to make stools for the npc toddlers to stand on so that they could reach the jam and gnome stations when we send them off to earn money for us. Then we'd need a taller stool so that they can reach the activation button on the stations at the factory ....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO... I totally thought that was a joke made by the others.

Cats and Dogs don't earn money, nor would NPC children be able to. We would have to take care of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I suggest that cats and dogs start earning money... b/c I will not see my dream go down the drain b/c of lazy animals.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

*ttl*

What about NPC children? Sort of like pets...

You could have Orphanages.

The children could follow your sim around and beg for food.

Then those that don't want sim children, didn't have to have them and those that do want them, could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of NPC children...start them out as babies, of course. I think it would be a good feature for those of us who are married or in a committed sim relationship in the game. I even posted the suggestion on the boards here months ago.