• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet Origin Shard March 20th, 2017

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There is only one healthy shard in my opinion. I can not speak for the Asian shards.

Atlantic is bloated and broken. The rest of the shards are farming grounds for a few. I know enough to know there are many that miss what their shards used to be. Binding all the shards was a mistake. I am not certain the game can recover at this point, but I am an optimist.

Atlantic is sucking the life from this game. Free the shards from this insane idea that Atlantic is the only place to be. Let the EMs have events for their shards. Let the communities figure out how to get "the goods". Allow new players to make a difference and become a part of a real and healthy player community.

None of this will happen as long as a single shard calls the shots.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is only one healthy shard in my opinion. I can not speak for the Asian shards.

Atlantic is bloated and broken. The rest of the shards are farming grounds for a few. I know enough to know there are many that miss what their shards used to be. Binding all the shards was a mistake. I am not certain the game can recover at this point, but I am an optimist.

Atlantic is sucking the life from this game. Free the shards from this insane idea that Atlantic is the only place to be. Let the EMs have events for their shards. Let the communities figure out how to get "the goods". Allow new players to make a difference and become a part of a real and healthy player community.

This is a fact

The last 3 pages in this tread basically just opinions.

If everyone would just stop and think about what this dev team is trying to do to fix things and have asked for feed back on how to fix the economy.
So let's all work together in an honest and unselfish way to figure this out.

Look at seige for example things work pretty well maybe the rest of us could learn from this model

Once again I'm far from an expert on uo economics but I do believe if everyone learns to give a little and allow others to have an opinion we can ALL fix this together

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a fact

The last 3 pages in this tread basically just opinions.

If everyone would just stop and think about what this dev team is trying to do to fix things and have asked for feed back on how to fix the economy.
So let's all work together in an honest and unselfish way to figure this out.

Look at seige for example things work pretty well maybe the rest of us could learn from this model

Once again I'm far from an expert on uo economics but I do believe if everyone learns to give a little and allow others to have an opinion we can ALL fix this together
Kelmo is right in most aspects. Now I believe transfer tokens should still exist, but shard shields did irrepairable harm to this game. The inflated prices and atlantic driven economy are a direct result of this. If the DEVS took what I said about the backpack drops into concept, not only would the economy of every shard improve, it would also destroy all the sites that have to xfer stuff to sell it cause its all duped merchandise. Its literally a win win scenario for the game. Whether or not its too late to do this will only be seen if its done. It wont hurt trying to bring the game back to what it used to be.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Long before transfer tokens people traded things X-Shard with others all the time... brokers and such made quite the RL living brokering trades.

There are any number of things we could blame the economy on... but the biggest one and the most important is right here... it's players... Players who duped, cheated and weaseled their way ... Those who did that ruined the game for everyone.

It's not really about anything but that. Cheating has destroyed the economy... How many ill gotten gains have poured into the game? Duped scrolls, checks, tokens, such?

At this point the game has been so corrupted and such that the only way I see that anyone could "fix" the economy would be if they simply wiped everything and started over. But how long would it last before someone cheated and ruined it? A week? A day? An Hour? Month perhaps? Doesn't matter sooner or later someone would ruin the game again all for the sake of greed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick question about Powerscrolls usable by pets, does that mean the +25 max stats will be usable also? and if so with any restrictions??
.....I need to know if I should bump the price of mine by 100mill+ or not ;)
Seems unlikely since their stats are already so high, but who knows...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not black and white.

Pretty much Atlantic will see increased prices which may or may not screw a large part of the player base.

I'm guessing it will because not everyone is rolling around with several platinum.

This will be caused by lack of supply.

It'd take a substantial amount of scrolls to be worth the cost of a transfer token, which is what 80m?

It'll affect lower populated shards because of demand.
I'd expect some of those people would make a permanent move to lower pop shards, and it would probably balance out eventually.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are any number of things we could blame the economy on... but the biggest one and the most important is right here... it's players... Players who duped, cheated and weaseled their way ... Those who did that ruined the game for everyone.
Insurance and 24/7 farming (tram) killed the economy, IMO. The dupes just sped it up. Those changes did some good things for the game too, but the economy began to die once those changes happened. When you don't lose and nothing is slowing the influx of new stuff, all non perishable things devalue really quickly.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree but the reality is Atlantic "calls the shots" as you say because regardless of what the few vocal on Stratics say, most people who play video games actually want to play with other people. Currently the only shard that actually has a decent size player base is in fact Atlantic. The idea of a server merge has been talked about amongst people for probably 8+ years due to dwindling population on every server, Including Atlantic. I've personally always been for merging each coasts servers and having USA East USA West Europe Asia. The problem is, people don't want to lose their houses. Which I can see, but there has to be a working solution. Wether or not it's mirrored gates and a cluster server making travel easier so no one loses anything. Regardless of opinion on wether you like it or not, or anyone else for that matter. It won't even be done because BS milks tokens. Which is 100% fine. But I can't tell you how many old players come back to game, log in say.."Where'd everyone go" and cancel subs. A little off topic, but it's the reason things are the way they are. People generally flock to population, not away. So the idea that really anything will bring back other servers..is a pipe dream and just that. It would take an influx of thousands of players for that to happen, and odds are..they'd all go to ATL. Chessy is my home shard. It's where I started and still mostly play. It's where my castle is, and my awesome keep is on Vesper road. I don't want to "lose" that, but at the same time..I actually want people to play with. So most likely I farm, and when I want to interact I go on Atl..it's a pretty sad state 95% of Shards are really in.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'd expect some of those people would make a permanent move to lower pop shards, and it would probably balance out eventually.
That was a point Nexus brought up, and I had considered as well.

It seems unlikely to see a population transition to save a few mil in power scrolls while taking a price loss on other items.

There would have to be a larger shift in economics to make this feasible.

But sadly, that isn't what is proposed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was a point Nexus brought up, and I had considered as well.

It seems unlikely to see a population transition to save a few mil in power scrolls while taking a price loss on other items.

There would have to be a larger shift in economics to make this feasible.

But sadly, that isn't what is proposed.
Probably so, though I have to imagine if they make PS shard bound that other shard bound items were coming, since PS are so commonly traded. Who knows really. Of course it won't effect me either way, so I'm just speculating to speculate. :p

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Probably so, though I have to imagine if they make PS shard bound that other shard bound items were coming, since PS are so commonly traded. Who knows really. Of course it won't effect me either way, so I'm just speculating to speculate. :p
Well that's my concern. If we get to the point of limiting the transfer of most items, it seems transferring is pretty pointless given the majority of the game is vets with probably have many other trained characters on different shards.

On a different note, they should give vets sovereigns as they reach each anniversary.

20 years should get 20k sovereigns or something.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let's be realistic. Stuff generally sells for more on ATL, including PS's. So by not allowing a player to transfer them to ATL, a non ATL player will probably have to accept less gold for his/her PS's. So it sounds like the ATL players win, and all the other shards get screwed. Not to mention the fact that, let's face it, the players left on shards other than ATL are, for the most part, veterans, with access to a lot of "stuff". Or already have what they need. So the non ATL market for PS's overall will stand a greater chance of "drying up" than ATL's will.

Let's face it folks. It looks like the start of the "move to ATL shard or be left behind" movement from the Devs.

BUT, I said it before: I am (kind of) OK with making PS's shard bound. BUT, ONLY if they make EM drops shard bound as well at the same time!!!!!!

If, and ONLY if!!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Let's be realistic. Stuff generally sells for more on ATL, including PS's. So by not allowing a player to transfer them to ATL, a non ATL player will probably have to accept less gold for his/her PS's. So it sounds like the ATL players win, and all the other shards get screwed. Not to mention the fact that, let's face it, the players left on shards other than ATL are, for the most part, veterans, with access to a lot of "stuff". Or already have what they need. So the non ATL market for PS's overall will stand a greater chance of "drying up" than ATL's will.

Let's face it folks. It looks like the start of the "move to ATL shard or be left behind" movement from the Devs.

BUT, I said it before: I am (kind of) OK with making PS's shard bound. BUT, ONLY if they make EM drops shard bound as well at the same time!!!!!!

If, and ONLY if!!
People who haven't been willing to X-fer to Atl just to shop have been getting screwed for years because Atl has become the trade hub for most of UO. Locking items people will want for functional, not decorative reasons from being transferred is a step in the right direction.

Maybe once there is a trade market for scrolls, other commodities will be better available on lower population shards. If that happens, then every shards prices will shift to a balance based on their population, even ATL as it's market won't be based on demand from all shards. It will take a while, but should work in the end.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People who haven't been willing to X-fer to Atl just to shop have been getting screwed for years because Atl has become the trade hub for most of UO. Locking items people will want for functional, not decorative reasons from being transferred is a step in the right direction.

Maybe once there is a trade market for scrolls, other commodities will be better available on lower population shards. If that happens, then every shards prices will shift to a balance based on their population, even ATL as it's market won't be based on demand from all shards. It will take a while, but should work in the end.

I disagree, I don't think there really is much of a market for stuff on smaller shards. For the most part, I quit stocking vendors when I realized that the only people buying stuff from them were people buying it cheap to take back to ATL to mark up!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From another point of view, I think it is as well going to broaden the gap between those Atlantic players with the right shards shields, being able to bring their pets to the scrolls, and the players without shields, who have to buy locally on Atlantic. I can also see prices going up here, as it shouldn't be that hard to mostly corner that single shard for a decent group.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

If, and ONLY if!!
I didn't really draw this conclusion but I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

but you are correct in your intial statement.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I disagree, I don't think there really is much of a market for stuff on smaller shards. For the most part, I quit stocking vendors when I realized that the only people buying stuff from them were people buying it cheap to take back to ATL to mark up!
Why? You still got your gold didn't you?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Why? You still got your gold didn't you?

Yeah, this made me curious too.

I know a majority of my vendor stock is probably shipped over to ATL at a mark up.

That's fine with me, but it also still helps what stock is sold on Great Lakes too.

First come first serve, I'll stock more (eventually).

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From another point of view, I think it is as well going to broaden the gap between those Atlantic players with the right shards shields, being able to bring their pets to the scrolls, and the players without shields, who have to buy locally on Atlantic. I can also see prices going up here, as it shouldn't be that hard to mostly corner that single shard for a decent group.
That's kind of the point. Over and over you see people say "If you don't want to play on a dead shard move to ATL" with this proposed change it becomes, "If you want to be able to afford things move to a lower population shard." It should help revitalize some servers and eventually normalize shard economies.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But what about the items, starting (and probably not ending) with PS's (should the Devs decide to actually implement this), that are really only sold to bring to ATL. I think it opens a HUGE "can of worms", that could do serious damage to the smaller shards in the long (?) run.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would people think if Broadsword decided to start selling power scrolls in the in-game store?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would people think if Broadsword decided to start selling power scrolls in the in-game store?
What would you think if Broadswords sold "insert item" I mean...that's worse for the economy over all. You're trying to get people to play the content. However if someone is willing to pay $9.99 for a 120 Mage, that just makes a 120 worth X amount of gold it's worth via buying gold. So at that rate 66.6m so for good sellers it's easy to buy X scroll sell for gold, sell gold, make profit. Just like with tokens and Xfers..bad idea imo. I always though transfers, mythic tokens, and the like should be account bound, but the people arguing against that are the people selling gold for $, or buying the tokens cheap while at the same time complaining about gold sellers. It's lose lose sometimes in UO.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
But what about the items, starting (and probably not ending) with PS's (should the Devs decide to actually implement this), that are really only sold to bring to ATL. I think it opens a HUGE "can of worms", that could do serious damage to the smaller shards in the long (?) run.
Yeah, this will likely be the effect of not implemented with other things.

And even short term will be fine, because guess where are these scrolls are going to be shipped to prior to the change?

You got it, they will move all the scrolls ahead of the patch (as long as it's a known date).

Man, if they have any resources over in Broadsword or EA, I'd be pulling those strings and see if they have input. Otherwise this just appears to be "winging it".

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have no issues with this but they have to market it correctly.

I.e. Holding a 3 day sale on 25 stat scrolls for 1k sovereigns each

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And... the devs are out of touch with the player base they have again...

why don't they just add more pointless stuff like the rainbow coloured pets because that's what UO needs.

with out a new injection of blood in this game IE players, shard bounding anything will just alienate the current players from less popular shards to ATL or even away from UO.

still to this day i find it mind boggling that the dev team want to try to introduce and implement things like this into UO about 10 years to late, and yet still do not drive UO in a way to bring in any new or old players, its like they do not want the money from people.

but don't worry we have rainbow coloured freaking unicorns.

for the love of god can we get a new team to drive UO.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What in the game can only be used on ATL and not elsewhere that you can even sell?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What in the game can only be used on ATL and not elsewhere that you can even sell?

Let's face it. When is the last time you saw a TRUE new player anywhere other than ATL (not just someone CLAIMING to be ). They are far and few in-between. Most of the players on "lower population" shards are likely "veteran" players, and as such are generally already equipped, or can craft what they need. Thereby not needing to buy nearly as much as players from ATL. My thought is that it will leave other shards with an abundance of items (that might be made "shard bound" at some point) with no market, that could have been sold on ATL.

I apparently missed the Devs' "reasoning" behind possibly making PS's shard bound. Why just PS's? Who is to say they would just stop there. Again, my opinion is that it opens a HUGE "can of worms" that could do serious harm to the game.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Let's face it. When is the last time you saw a TRUE new player anywhere other than ATL (not just someone CLAIMING to be ). They are far and few in-between. Most of the players on "lower population" shards are likely "veteran" players, and as such are generally already equipped, or can craft what they need. Thereby not needing to buy nearly as much as players from ATL. My thought is that it will leave other shards with an abundance of items (that might be made "shard bound" at some point) with no market, that could have been sold on ATL.

I apparently missed the Devs' "reasoning" behind possibly making PS's shard bound. Why just PS's? Who is to say they would just stop there. Again, my opinion is that it opens a HUGE "can of worms" that could do serious harm to the game.
Apparently you're missing my point. How many New players can the game expect to retain if the only option for you to build out a character is to engage in ATL's greatly inflated economy? Shifting some of the basics for character building to a shard bound status will open avenues on other shards for them. There won't be as much of a reason for them to choose ATL over another shard. Lower population servers would offer better economies, better housing opportunities, and less competition as they progress through the learning curve UO has.

Until they do something to deaden the steep disadvantage new players are at, which this would help do, there is zero point in adding and improving new and intermediate level content to attract and retain fresh players.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would technically be a P2W item, and be against what they said they would sell in the shop. The slippery slope would be complete and you would then have the 1st Subscription only game selling P2W items, basically "double dipping" its playerbase. ;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You know thinking about this "Shard Bound" idea for Powerscrolls, I think they should take it further, and have you need to Scroll up on each shard independently to stop the issue of folks cross sharding just eat scrolls.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently you're missing my point. How many New players can the game expect to retain if the only option for you to build out a character is to engage in ATL's greatly inflated economy? Shifting some of the basics for character building to a shard bound status will open avenues on other shards for them. There won't be as much of a reason for them to choose ATL over another shard. Lower population servers would offer better economies, better housing opportunities, and less competition as they progress through the learning curve UO has.

Until they do something to deaden the steep disadvantage new players are at, which this would help do, there is zero point in adding and improving new and intermediate level content to attract and retain fresh players.

That's all well and good, but its all if's but's and maybes.

First you need to have a good steady flow of new players to achieve this thought, which UO hasn't got and wont ever get if the current team is left in charge and fail to drive any UO promotions/Ads or publicise UO at all.
they dont even have the basics in place, no twitter no Youtube no twitch, all free to use, just requires time and effort, which they do have because we get pointless rubbish like rainbow unicorns.

ok they do have a twitter, its, well no point even using it as it stands, if you look at it.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

With no advertising, where are all these new players going to come from in the first place?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
With no advertising, where are all these new players going to come from in the first place?
What's the point of advertising a game that A) has little new or intermediate player friendly content. and B) Has a 28 Servers, 25 of which you can rarely find the basic necessities for character development because on 26 of the servers the economies are tangled thanks to X-Sharding. The majority of people will try it then immediately walk away out of frustration. Those few that do stick around probably won't be enough to recoup the advertising fees. Face it UO has a ton of issues that needs to be fixed if there is any hope of revitalizing the game. Everything from as I mentioned untangling the server economies from each other, actually creating new player friendly content which is in short supply. Sure you have New Haven from 0-50 skill, but from 50-100 there isn't enough because all the dungeon revamps have destroyed it.

My point is they need to fix what's screwed up before they worry about new players, there's no point in drawing them in if you can't keep them to start with.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
It very important friend. There are a lot better things in place to handle new players than what Broadsword is providing.

It's called Community.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What's the point of advertising a game that A) has little new or intermediate player friendly content. and B) Has a 28 Servers, 25 of which you can rarely find the basic necessities for character development because on 26 of the servers the economies are tangled thanks to X-Sharding. The majority of people will try it then immediately walk away out of frustration. Those few that do stick around probably won't be enough to recoup the advertising fees. Face it UO has a ton of issues that needs to be fixed if there is any hope of revitalizing the game. Everything from as I mentioned untangling the server economies from each other, actually creating new player friendly content which is in short supply. Sure you have New Haven from 0-50 skill, but from 50-100 there isn't enough because all the dungeon revamps have destroyed it.

My point is they need to fix what's screwed up before they worry about new players, there's no point in drawing them in if you can't keep them to start with.
this pretty much covers it all

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It very important friend. There are a lot better things in place to handle new players than what Broadsword is providing.

It's called Community.
Doesn't appear to be saying much about the community then, given the amount of new players.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

It's called Community.
Right now the way the game is set up, there isn't a thriving community on some shards, there are pockets here and there on some, usually in the RP and/or communities, but the rest has largely evaporated. They need to make some fundamental changes that will encourage activity on the various shards so those communities can grow again in order to support new players in the future.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Right now the way the game is set up, there isn't a thriving community on some shards, there are pockets here and there on some, usually in the RP and/or communities, but the rest has largely evaporated. They need to make some fundamental changes that will encourage activity on the various shards so those communities can grow again in order to support new players in the future.
There is some sort of community on every shard friend. Always willing to help. Sure some shards not as big or as organized as others but they are there all the same.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why should He Stock his stuff for cheap if He can get more on atl?

And personally. I would rather keep my 20 magery in my book instead of putting it for half a year in the vendor and finally sell for a fraction what they are worth. Do you Guys who think "everything will get better" really are the opinion that cutting away the so much needed fresh blood from hardly needed ressources will let them stay on those dead graveyards instead of leaving again for good or going there where you find actually Players? It's a MMORPG. If you want to Play solo (and in a size of uo Map 90% of the shards are more or less equal to playing solo Most of the time) then so this there but dont hurt people who dont have shields to all shards to get their stuff with moving the while Charakter for powerscrolls which everyone could supply himself as much as He wanted for 10 or more years.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've heard people ask in general chat how to do something, and be told to GTFO Noob, quit, go home, learn to read...you name it. Yep, it's a real mystery why new players don't stay
Yeah, and really if this happens frequently the it means there's not a good enough system in place to either be more intuitive or reference where you can find information.

Adding a link to the help bar would be an easy solution, but not sure if they can reference 3rd party sites in game.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's kind of the point. Over and over you see people say "If you don't want to play on a dead shard move to ATL" with this proposed change it becomes, "If you want to be able to afford things move to a lower population shard." It should help revitalize some servers and eventually normalize shard economies.

Yea, I see where you are coming from. Only I don't think that will work. People play Atlantic for a reason and forcing them to play lower populated shards is likely only driving them away. On the other hand, "forcing them" is a bit strong since after all we only talk about paying a couple mil more for a good 120 scroll.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would technically be a P2W item, and be against what they said they would sell in the shop. The slippery slope would be complete and you would then have the 1st Subscription only game selling P2W items, basically "double dipping" its playerbase. ;)
Right now the way things stand, people who don't play often and don't play on Atlantic are likely paying cash to a third-party website for things like power and stat scrolls because no one sells them on their preferred shard and they don't play often enough to know players who might have them stashed away and could sell them for gold. Those people are also unlikely to be in a situation where they have the time or desire or in-game connections to do Fel champ spawns. Why not have those infrequent players instead pay their cash for needed items to Broadsword to fund a larger development team and more GM coverage? It doesn't mean getting power scrolls through in-game methods would disappear, it would just mean that more players could get the things they need instead of getting disgusted about the situation and quitting for good or playing even less than they already do.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right now the way things stand, people who don't play often and don't play on Atlantic are likely paying cash to a third-party website for things like power and stat scrolls because no one sells them on their preferred shard and they don't play often enough to know players who might have them stashed away and could sell them for gold. Those people are also unlikely to be in a situation where they have the time or desire or in-game connections to do Fel champ spawns. Why not have those infrequent players instead pay their cash for needed items to Broadsword to fund a larger development team and more GM coverage? It doesn't mean getting power scrolls through in-game methods would disappear, it would just mean that more players could get the things they need instead of getting disgusted about the situation and quitting for good or playing even less than they already do.

I have a Freind that knows someone that just buys what they need when they play because they can never find the item and they only play about 3 hours a week. I think a lot more people do it this than most think do.

BS should sell a lot more items like PS and recourse etc.
they would make a lot more money if they did.

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Wouldn't it be better to make it possible to go get the stuff in game by playing? Add power scrolls to Tram and VvV. Increase the fun ways to go out and get them, which will increase the number of people going out to get them, which will increase the number that will be for sale.People who want the thrill of raiders attacking them can do Fel, those that love the focus of PvM can do Tram, and those that only want to PvP can do VvV.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a Freind that knows someone that just buys what they need when they play because they can never find the item and they only play about 3 hours a week. I think a lot more people do it this than most think do.

BS should sell a lot more items like PS and recourse etc.
they would make a lot more money if they did.
I'm at the point where I rarely have time to play, don't have a lot of spare gold, and still don't have shard shields. From what I've read, it sounds like I'll need to be buying power scrolls to take advantage of the pet revamp with my tamer characters, which are the types of characters I've grown to enjoy using the most. Unfortunately, if this means I will have to resort to buying power scrolls or gold from third party sites to be able to afford to buy the scrolls from in-game vendors, I'm likely to just let that game addition pass me by as well as all the other most recent changes.

Power scrolls have always been something the vast majority of players have to obtain. Unfortunately, not everyone is good at or enjoys PvP to be able to get the scrolls themselves and I'm sure a lot of people who don't PvP have grown bitter over the years at the stranglehold some groups of players have achieved over the power scroll supply. Shard shields may have mitigated that bitterness for some PvM-only players but I think there are still a lot of people like me who don't PvP and who don't have shard shields who find themselves in the same situation. If the dev team would let us get power scrolls (and not just 105s) from non-Fel champ spawns, it would be a different situation. But the way things stand now, I know I can't get the scrolls myself by going to Fel and I really, really hate the idea of paying cash, one way or another (buying gold or buying scrolls), to other players to get them. If I have to pay cash, I'd far rather pay it to Broadsword where it could actually end up improving UO and not some random player's bottom line.