• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet On Mizuho 2-27-17

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
WTF is this new 5 second rule ********. I set up a completely legal, in game repeating macro to attack miasma, and went to change the laundry over. I come back to a GM asking me to "please respond" in the bucs jail. I'm like, umm
Did I ever say it wasn't running a macro while not at the computer? No. No I did not.
I've underlined where you, in fact, did say that you left a macro running and left the computer.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've underlined where you, in fact, did say that you left a macro running and left the computer.
You should probably re-read what I wrote and what you quoted... "Did I ever say it wasn't" unattended macroing. ("it" was supposed to be "I", but it still comes out to the same thing even with the grammar error)

My main point is there should be a delineation between unattended macroing using only the client that is provided, and botting/scripting using a 3rd party program. Because there a huge difference, and usually, even an idiot can tell the difference just by watching someone for 30 seconds.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Back when there were tons of GMs, and they'd drop in all the time to see if you were AFK macroing, they didn't draw a distinction between macroing using the in-game macros and macroing using a 3rd party client. That's why they generally called it "unattended macroing", not "using an unapproved 3rd party tool".

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But then, in spite of the 'crackdown' lol, Mesanna herself said she puts a roll of pennies on her hotkey to keep a macro running...go figure

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't know why anyone would so such a thing in this day and age when you can buy something like this:

Gamepad - G13 Advanced Gameboard - Logitech

Which I believe it was someone on the DEV team years ago that stated they used. I wish I could remember who it was... Anyway I've used one of those for years and it is programmable to repeat key functions... Simply putting in game a macro that casts some spell on myself and then telling the G13 to repeat that function every "X" seconds... works just fine. Same difference as the pennies I suppose.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 drop per IP address.
The real answer would be to revert back to the old system where items dropped in the packs of the mobs you killed. This would require considerably more work for the scripter/multiboxer to handle, and more information would result for the team to work with regarding those using illegal third party apps.

An interesting side note: It was around 5 years ago I was accused of cheating by one unscrupulous individual which brought on the catalyst to this change of loot distribution. I did nothing wrong back then, used no third party programs, and only had my knowledge of game mechanics to rely on, as well as UOA. Here we are 5 years later, the system implemented to prevent *abuse* actually caused a rise in cheats/cheaters, the passionate collectors I once knew gone, their places taken by 10 characters all played by one individual (well multiples of the same) only interested in filling his (their) own pockets.

I was one of the original 3 cross shard collectors...and it took me 3 years to make all of my event chars...these days most of these people just illegally purchase accounts from others and put in 0 work themselves...yet I got punished for being faster to loot than the next guy...*shrugs*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The real answer would be to revert back to the old system where items dropped in the packs of the mobs you killed. This would require considerably more work for the scripter/multiboxer to handle, and more information would result for the team to work with regarding those using illegal third party apps.

An interesting side note: It was around 5 years ago I was accused of cheating by one unscrupulous individual which brought on the catalyst to this change of loot distribution. I did nothing wrong back then, used no third party programs, and only had my knowledge of game mechanics to rely on, as well as UOA. Here we are 5 years later, the system implemented to prevent *abuse* actually caused a rise in cheats/cheaters, the passionate collectors I once knew gone, their places taken by 10 characters all played by one individual (well multiples of the same) only interested in filling his (their) own pockets.

I was one of the original 3 cross shard collectors...and it took me 3 years to make all of my event chars...these days most of these people just illegally purchase accounts from others and put in 0 work themselves...yet I got punished for being faster to loot than the next guy...*shrugs*

Before I'd EVER want or be willing to go back to that old system... there would have to be a fix in place for people casting animate corpse on the mob and turning it into something that you can't get a bar for... nothing is more annoying than trying to loot something and having some necro moron come along and animate the corpse closing out your corpse loot window and not being able to click on anything because 45 people are standing on it and ctrl+shift does NOTHING because now it's corpse name is gone or whatever... and more often than not use last object doesn't work either because it seems to think that the object is no longer there... it's one of THE most annoying "exploits" in game. And don't tell me it's not an exploit as I KNOW that people do it and did it on purpose to keep others from being able to loot at all.

Also it would then have to be MANDATORY that EMs either NEVER use the crimson dragon with the fire wheels and all or they will need to move the corpse to a "safe" location for looting so EVERYONE has a fair opportunity to gather their earned loot. OR if we really want to be jerks... there should be NO MORE public corpses then.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before I'd EVER want or be willing to go back to that old system... there would have to be a fix in place for people casting animate corpse on the mob and turning it into something that you can't get a bar for... nothing is more annoying than trying to loot something and having some necro moron come along and animate the corpse closing out your corpse loot window and not being able to click on anything because 45 people are standing on it and ctrl+shift does NOTHING because now it's corpse name is gone or whatever... and more often than not use last object doesn't work either because it seems to think that the object is no longer there... it's one of THE most annoying "exploits" in game. And don't tell me it's not an exploit as I KNOW that people do it and did it on purpose to keep others from being able to loot at all.

Also it would then have to be MANDATORY that EMs either NEVER use the crimson dragon with the fire wheels and all or they will need to move the corpse to a "safe" location for looting so EVERYONE has a fair opportunity to gather their earned loot. OR if we really want to be jerks... there should be NO MORE public corpses then.
Was this an issue using the EC, because I just tested things and in the CC I can still control shift to see the body. While yes, I agree it can be tedious to try to loot at time due to the sheer density of bodies/people, I feel that with the CC anyway it is still possible to loot.

If this is a EC issue, the simple fix would be to change the mob type to one that cannot be animated.

Crimson Dragons? The fires die down in 1 minute, corpse takes 2 minutes to go public. Risk vs. reward is the way I see it. This is coming from a mobility challenged player btw...my coordination is atrocious...yet I still managed to do well with just a bit of knowledge of game mechanics.

Overall I agree with you, but as a necro I just have to say I never used animate dead to in any fashion other than to create followers with intent on doing more damage to the next monster...I may be a jerk at times but what you speak of was not my cup of tea. If I ever unknowingly hampered your ability to loot sometime in the past, I humbly apologize, you and Martyna were always two of my favorite people on the GL shard...and I never intentionally would do anything to offend.

Cap'n Underpants of GL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Was this an issue using the EC, because I just tested things and in the CC I can still control shift to see the body. While yes, I agree it can be tedious to try to loot at time due to the sheer density of bodies/people, I feel that with the CC anyway it is still possible to loot.

If this is a EC issue, the simple fix would be to change the mob type to one that cannot be animated.

Crimson Dragons? The fires die down in 1 minute, corpse takes 2 minutes to go public. Risk vs. reward is the way I see it. This is coming from a mobility challenged player btw...my coordination is atrocious...yet I still managed to do well with just a bit of knowledge of game mechanics.

Overall I agree with you, but as a necro I just have to say I never used animate dead to in any fashion other than to create followers with intent on doing more damage to the next monster...I may be a jerk at times but what you speak of was not my cup of tea. If I ever unknowingly hampered your ability to loot sometime in the past, I humbly apologize, you and Martyna were always two of my favorite people on the GL shard...and I never intentionally would do anything to offend.

Cap'n Underpants of GL.
It does effect the ability to loot... while normally that's not an issue... if it's on the Boss (*which you can't loot a public boss corpse in the EC anyway due to the fact that it will crash your client while trying to load FAR too many items for the system to handle)... you can no longer get the tag using ctrl+shift ... Nothing comes up at all... infact the corpse name when you hover over the corpse won't come up right either after someone has animated it usually just says "corpse"... makes it impossible to get YOUR loot from the corpse after the boss drops, especially when like I said there are 25 to 50 people standing on it. Normally when there are 400 bodies of people and whatnot if I know it was something like say a Crimson Dragon I can set the ctrl+shift to just see anything named Crimson... but as I said if someone casts animate corpse on it.... then the name won't show up and changes from Crimson to Corpse but the tag won't appear on ctrl+shift... Which IMO after the boss drops the ONLY reason to animate it (since there are no other mobs around) is to make it impossible for others to get their earned loot and for the person doing it to get more loot on the public corpse. My opinion.... and

Thank you... I've seen you many times. I try to be helpful to everyone there and I enjoy the events quite a lot, probably one of the few things I actually log in for of late. 2 of the best EM's on GLs... and for the most part people are finally starting to behave at the events I've noticed lately. There are less spastic troublemakers who can't seem to understand a simple request by the EM not to stand on them. Still a few perpetual spell spammers but I tend to put people like that on ignore. (though I prefer not to do that in-case in the off chance they might actually have something worthwhile to add to the event.)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its also interesting that Mizuho is one of the few shard EMs that have adjusted for multiboxing. a few other asian shards are doing this as well. Perhaps this will become the trend in future months. Im not going into details about what they are doing, but its very interesting and honestly i agree with it. When the producer and GMs do nothing, you have to expect the EMs to take things into their own hands.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its also interesting that Mizuho is one of the few shard EMs that have adjusted for multiboxing. a few other asian shards are doing this as well. Perhaps this will become the trend in future months. Im not going into details about what they are doing, but its very interesting and honestly i agree with it. When the producer and GMs do nothing, you have to expect the EMs to take things into their own hands.
Now you made me curious. What can they do?