• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Dev Meet And Greet On Mugen 9-26-16

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was top damage; which catered to the competitive, competent player. When that was the system there was ZERO issues with Multiboxing, Rares were not over saturated and the economy was strong. I stopped doing events once the average price dropped to 100ish mil. I do way better farming gear.

All you have to do is search for the threads that had all of the 'x-shaders' stating the future of events and what will happen. It's funny, because they were 100% correct.
ffs, they should just go back to that. Would make more sense than hope RNJesus decides to be nice to you (and, since I'd be doing all events on whammy throwers. I do have to get around to making their suits though...)

I'll agree that events aren't the best method for making gold (although it depends on the buyer too - I had one drop earlier this year go for 350m), but I don't have the patience, or the desire, to farm for that much uber gear, and to keep doing it for hours on end - years of console gaming have caused me to develop a very strong ADD with that (or, perhaps it'd be more accurate to describe it as "**** this, I'm going to go do something else in this game.") With events, you play for an hour, get lucky, you make 100m+ just for killing some souped-up monsters.

dlo88

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. Lazy AF dev team that doesn't care about this game one bit. Someone should start a kickstarter fund to raise enough money to buy UO from EA. I vote @cazador to head the new dev team!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Lazy AF dev team that doesn't care about this game one bit. Someone should start a kickstarter fund to raise enough money to buy UO from EA. I vote @cazador to head the new dev team!
You can be my head GM! We wouldn't be corrupt at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Couldn't be any worse that what's currently going on with the advisors and one prominent "Broker".
Just another problem with having EMs, Advisors, perhaps GMs & PEC as well required to be "players". it's asking for trouble. I purposefully never applied to be an EM or advisor, because I don't know if I could trust myself being able to skip the grind and go straight to the rewarding part.

It takes a lot of discipline to not abuse the powers given, especially when there is potential financial gain from it. -I'm not accusing anyone. but it does and it Has occurred.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couldn't be any worse that what's currently going on with the advisors and one prominent "Broker".
I'd spread the wealth and troll hard! I'd up splintering to 50%! Increase the drop rates, sit back..wait a week or two for people to farm farm farm and fit it into suits..and nerf stick the heck out of it!

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No pretty sure he's one of those 10 or 15 backside hurt ones who use to get the drop every single time back when it was based on the "top damagers" ... and no one else ever had a chance without having a super internet connection, uber multi-billion dollar suit, and flavor of the month build character.
Just clarifying this a bit.... He wasn't (backside hurt bc of anything). He was actually 1 of the few that was warning you that if you pushed the issue back then to random drops that this kinda backlash would happen. People that got a drop everytime back then and still does events I would imagine is getting several drops every time now so the only ppl being (backside hurt) is you and the ones that didn't listen now or then. BTW top damage chars was super easy and cheap to do assuming you could afford a few 120s and could imbue your own suits. I think a conj trinket was about the most expensive thing to a top damage suit back then and you could still do it without 1. So your post wasn't very accurate.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have no sympathy for incompetent roleplayers suffering from visible bitter envy of people who know how to play the game, but returning to top damager for EM items would be a nightmare. Everyone who doesn't build and play specifically for EM events may as well not show up.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no sympathy for incompetent roleplayers suffering from visible bitter envy of people who know how to play the game, but returning to top damager for EM items would be a nightmare. Everyone who doesn't build and play specifically for EM events may as well not show up.
While I understand the logic behind this, it's still an option available to everyone, and it takes little more than an imbued suit and a full set of 100% elemental slayer weaps.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Where do you get your numbers from and for your information I resent the fact that you are including a lot of honest people in that %95 and I resent being called a cheater.
From the supposed thing that was supposedly said by Mesanna herself at a meet and greet or something where 4 people there weren't running some sort of 3rd party program... that's where... if that's true or not don't know... but that is what others often refer to...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just clarifying this a bit.... He wasn't (backside hurt bc of anything). He was actually 1 of the few that was warning you that if you pushed the issue back then to random drops that this kinda backlash would happen. People that got a drop everytime back then and still does events I would imagine is getting several drops every time now so the only ppl being (backside hurt) is you and the ones that didn't listen now or then. BTW top damage chars was super easy and cheap to do assuming you could afford a few 120s and could imbue your own suits. I think a conj trinket was about the most expensive thing to a top damage suit back then and you could still do it without 1. So your post wasn't very accurate.
No it has a lot to do with connection and outside of being able to actually move somewhere with a connection there is next to nothing most can do about it... except constantly client crash, get telestormed and die a LOT...

And I happen to like the RNG... for this anyway... because many folk actually DO get drops now... When they aren't all gotten by the multi-boxers who get the lions share. I probably get a drop now every other time... or close to... maybe even 3 of 5... but that's beside the point...

It's not all about suit and template... though I can't see being very Knightly and giving a rats about helping the Kingdom as a Wammy or Sampire... And if that's all the EM Events are for is to give rares collectors the money in their pockets then the DEVs need to quit BSing the rest of the player base and just spawn one boss mob at a given time and see what happens forget paying people to actually go to the trouble of putting together a thought out and planned event and wasting time trying to provide any actual story or entertainment and just pass out the drop and be done with it...

Hell they could do away with the actual fighting all together and just make it a big old gold sink and have the greedy SoBs bid on lots for the "drop"... and then they could go back to NOT having any drops at all and actually focus on the story and the entertainment and totally separate the two. With puzzles and stories and a bit of fighting with normal loot... and all.

But whatever.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the supposed thing that was supposedly said by Mesanna herself at a meet and greet or something where 4 people there weren't running some sort of 3rd party program... that's where... if that's true or not don't know... but that is what others often refer to...
She did say that, on LS at the EM Hall over the winter. I personally was not there at the time, but @CovenantX was - I came in a few minutes later, I believe after a character switch. She knows who's running them and I believe she also knows when the person last ran said program. That was also the day where she didn't know the difference between Steam and ***** - she thought we were talking about the former at first.

Clearly some of it is just her not knowing, but I think a much bigger part of it is her not caring. Would they lose subs if they started taking action against the cheating? Ultimately, likely not - guys would just continue doing the same things on a new account until that got banned. The cycle would just keep repeating itself. But, to me, it's still a better alternative than letting it run rampant like it is now.

No it has a lot to do with connection and outside of being able to actually move somewhere with a connection there is next to nothing most can do about it... except constantly client crash, get telestormed and die a LOT...

And I happen to like the RNG... for this anyway... because many folk actually DO get drops now... When they aren't all gotten by the multi-boxers who get the lions share. I probably get a drop now every other time... or close to... maybe even 3 of 5... but that's beside the point...

It's not all about suit and template...
Actually, it is. I can go to ANY shard with my single account, do events with a whammy (thrower preferable because of not running out of arrows), hit boss a few times with Armor Ignore/auto-swings when I'm out of mana, have chance to get drop. Wearing a 100% imbued suit, with a decent connection. I do lag, but not enough that it affects my ability to do enough damage for loot rights. I don't crash AT ALL during events, btw.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looking back I wish I or someone else had recorded the meeting we had on LS about a year or so ago.

I'll be honest, Mesanna told me directly I haven't used ****** since 2008, I never denied using illegal programs, but mostly I use them for testing purposes.
I then told her I used a program to repeat macroes for skill training, she replied "I use it too" - damn I wish I screenshotted that. but either way. there were atleast 14-18 other people there,
drcossack was there (The unscheduled meeting was due to the EM being accused of Favoritism, allowing drcossack to become Governor of Moonglow), another person there openly admitted to running a third-party assistant While there, saying that UOAssist should have the same "features" or that program should be deemed "approved". The pvp community probably knows who this individual is.

The program in question is the same one videos posted on stratics are removed. -This rule of not naming programs by name is getting ****ing ridiculous, it's safe to say everyone knows everything about this by now...

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then don't say hes (backside hurt) when its obvious its you and don't say the suits cost billions to make when they don't :) thats all. I was just clarifying a bit for you nothing more. BTW i like both systems top damage and random drops so im not picking 1 over the other

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait steams illegal? How am I supposed to download FTP games then?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just give the 3rd party programs catchy nicknames to avoid actually naming them...

212°
Mr. Slicey
UOHard
etc.

:stir:
I prefer...
Slicky McQuicky..
Choppin n Hackin (Tree Bee Gone)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
-This rule of not naming programs by name is getting ****ing ridiculous, it's safe to say everyone knows everything about this by now...
Some of us agree with you about that, although since UO's official rules claim 3rd party programs are illegal and those are the rules Stratics follows we are forced to prevent people from naming certain programs whether we agree with it or not.

It's truly irritating sometimes that Stratics enforces the rules of UO better than UO itself does. We try to enforce their rules as they wrote them, then we constantly see basically every rule in existence being broken on a daily basis while we are in game. It's depressing.

The state of Ultima Online in 2016:

Scripting? No big deal! Win any way you want to win!

Speedhacks? No big deal, we can't prove it!

People spamming racial slurs and swearing at each other all day in Atlantic general chat? No big deal, they are just having fun!

Duping? It's all good, as long as we ban 1 duper per year maybe the community won't notice the 50 we chose not to ban for some reason!

Scamming? Win any way you want to win!

You have proof of certain non-developer UO volunteers breaking their NDA's, while showing favoritism to their friends? Oh no big deal, I'm sure they have a good reason for it!

:ohsnap:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hell they could do away with the actual fighting all together and just make it a big old gold sink and have the greedy SoBs bid on lots for the "drop"... and then they could go back to NOT having any drops at all and actually focus on the story and the entertainment and totally separate the two. With puzzles and stories and a bit of fighting with normal loot... and all.
The number of people who like giant boss fights and outrageously valuable prizes is vastly, enormously, overwhelmingly greater than the number of people who give a crap about EM fiction. That's just the reality. Period. I know you think caring about story and being a roleplayer makes you a better person than everyone else, but it doesn't make your subscription dollars any more valuable, so maybe just deal with it.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yea no kidding who cares about the fiction - I'd rather ride an elevator alone for 45 mins than pay attention to that. Boss and drop are all that matters.

One thing that might help is for EM's to really try and think outside the box - no pun intended. I havnt done an EM event since moving to the west coast for work and usually miss all the events due to the time diff, but i remember them all having the exact same formula. Spend some time at blackthorns waiting patiently because apparently the EM can only type one letter per second, then we go track someone down but Oh! We get ambushed by orcs. We find said person who leads us to another person and they exchange once again mind boggling slow dialogue. Person 1 stabs person 2 and then person 2 dies and the corpse is reincarnated into a balron looking thing and then the lag fest begins and 90% of people die instantly and then before ya know it the boss dies in 17 seconds and people in chat are already peddling.

Im no creative genius so i dont know what to suggest as an alternative to this formula, but perhaps if the EMs threw us off a bit more it could discourage multiboxing/scripting. Drops should come as a reward not to those who have decked out suits, can hack the game etc., but to those who are skilled in UO in other ways.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The number of people who like giant boss fights and outrageously valuable prizes is vastly, enormously, overwhelmingly greater than the number of people who give a crap about EM fiction. That's just the reality. Period. I know you think caring about story and being a roleplayer makes you a better person than everyone else, but it doesn't make your subscription dollars any more valuable, so maybe just deal with it.
I don't think I"m better than anyone... it's my playstyle and it's the ONLY thing that keeps my accounts open to this day...

I offered the alternatives... they can spawn some big boss once a month and satisfy that and separate the "drop" from the story event... and let those that like the story enjoy the story... that's all I was saying... but nevermind you see what you want because you like to bash me and put words in my mouth... fine... don't like RP that's your business... But then why are you playing an MMORPG if you don't want the RP part? Was the story on the box that got me interested in UO... that and the idea that I could own a castle... really own a castle... totally had to have it.

I actually read through the booklet that came with the game and WANTED the RP... sought it out and everything... from day one. Is that so horrible?

But even with a decent connection and computer, and graphics card.... I crash all the time at EM events... And it still takes almost a full minute for the "death" graphic to take effect... which in a situation like a boss fight with a mob that drops an item... that's precious seconds ticking away... that shouldn't be... and why are they doing that? Well it's not because we haven't complained about the excessive time it takes to die in the EC to the DEVs... it's because despite them saying "it's been fixed" it hasn't been... while it's shorter now from the full 2 min it used to take... it's still TOO long. And still can't loot the public corpse of most the mobs...

But I like RP so I'm not supposed to complain about that... or about the multi-boxers that cause my computer to lag like mad whenever I get near them... or complain about those in the Gen Chat channel who insist on describing sex acts and hurl racial slurs at one another... etc... At least if I'm doing anything nasty it's only to others who actually want to participate in it... I don't broadcast it to the entire shard... and force everyone to endure the RP... Maybe I should start RPing in Gen Chat...

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For the record @MalagAste I wasnt knocking people who RP or those that enjoy EM fiction, though i do personally find it kind of boring. I just agree with Spock in that most probably attend events for the drop.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the record @MalagAste I wasnt knocking people who RP or those that enjoy EM fiction, though i do personally find it kind of boring. I just agree with Spock in that most probably attend events for the drop.
That's because a ton of people who used to come for the event and the fiction don't anymore because there are too many people there who spoil it... causing all sorts of havoc by continually spamming spells, casting fields on the EMs and NPC's... along with EVs, Earth Eles, RCs and everything else up to and including parking their dragon on them... saying stuff like STFU, get on with it, spawn the boss, etc... to the point that many folk gave up trying to enjoy the event for the event... and quit coming to them.

Certainly a lot more attend for the drop..... but of those "a lot" more... you can take out 20 to 30% as there are so many that come on 4 to 6 characters multi-boxed... so if you count those as 6 or you count them as 1 it's still one player...

Occasionally I consider if you can't beat them join them attitude but the game means more to me than a stupid drop. And following the ToS as best as I can is my way of showing that I do care about the game...

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I multi-box which means two or more clients opened at one time without any software or hardware support to multiplex.
I get accused of multiplexing even by a guy I know that does multiplex.
He doesn't believe I don't use any mechanism.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The crashing is a result of a video memory leak in the game that has been going on for nearly a year.
During events I need to close out all my clients and restart about 30 minutes into the event.
If I don't about 40 minutes into the event every client will crash at the same time.

Yes, sometimes I get telestormed out of the event area. (once I got a drop, crashed and telestormed)

This doesn't only happen at events. If I'm running around a lot in the game (taming) loading up video memory in about 2 hours or more of moving I will crash.
If I'm standing in one location for much longer period of time I do not crash.
This crash takes place with or without running a lay over program (UOassist)

Last edited:

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's truly irritating sometimes that Stratics enforces the rules of UO better than UO itself does. We try to enforce their rules as they wrote them, then we constantly see basically every rule in existence being broken on a daily basis while we are in game. It's depressing.
Maybe you should take a hint and lighten up

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I multi-box which means two or more clients opened at one time without any software or hardware support to multiplex.
I get accused of multiplexing even by a guy I know that does multiplex.
He doesn't believe I don't use any mechanism.
NO, NO, and NO!

When you have more than one game client open, it's Multi-Clienting!

When you have more than one client open and use a third party app to control all those chars at one time with one keystroke, it's Multi-Boxing!

WTH is multiplex? :confused2: :cursing: :confused2:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I don't think I"m better than anyone... it's my playstyle and it's the ONLY thing that keeps my accounts open to this day... I offered the alternatives... they can spawn some big boss once a month and satisfy that and separate the "drop" from the story event... and let those that like the story enjoy the story... that's all I was saying... but nevermind you see what you want because you like to bash me and put words in my mouth... fine... don't like RP that's your business...
Oh please, you constantly flounce around here being conspicuously aggrieved that the filthy masses only want their fights and prizes and dirty pixels with the implicit attitude that hanging around "for the story" means your farts don't stink. Like yes, today's particular Stupid Roleplayer Idea To Ruin EM Events happens to include an alternative activity that generously allows the non-roleplaying 99% of the population to continue to participate, but let's not pretend as if you haven't been one of the loudest voices perpetually complaining on this board that rare drops should be turned into worthless commonplace participation trophies, or made shard-bound, or whatever kooky thing you think will finally put those dirty pixel-hoarders and their non-gimped templates in their place that week.

But then why are you playing an MMORPG if you don't want the RP part?
Because I want to kill monsters and get loot and otherwise amuse myself in a persistent multiplayer environment. If the only people that played these games were people who wanted to live alternate lives as elves, the genre would have never gotten past the text MUD stage.

But even with a decent connection and computer, and graphics card.... I crash all the time at EM events... And it still takes almost a full minute for the "death" graphic to take effect... which in a situation like a boss fight with a mob that drops an item... that's precious seconds ticking away... that shouldn't be... and why are they doing that? Well it's not because we haven't complained about the excessive time it takes to die in the EC to the DEVs... it's because despite them saying "it's been fixed" it hasn't been... while it's shorter now from the full 2 min it used to take... it's still TOO long. And still can't loot the public corpse of most the mobs..
The UO client takes a giant dump when there's too much crap on the screen, even with quantities of bandwidth and processing power being thrown at it that were science fiction when it was originally created. It's just plain badly optimized, the EC is built on the same framework, and it's always going to be this way because it would probably take a complete client rewrite to fix and I guarantee that isn't in the cards. I like yelling at our little five-man dev team as much as anyone, but this isn't one they're going to be able to fix.

That's because a ton of people who used to come for the event and the fiction don't anymore because there are too many people there who spoil it...
Yeah instead of four roleplayers there used to be eight. Look, Great Lakes RP jumped the shark like 12 years ago when Highland Guard disbanded and left "Yew Militia death squads vs Society of Shadows scrubs" as the sum total of RP on the shard outside of whatever effete closed-door nonsense the self-proclaimed cool kids got up to, with RKR occasionally showing up to a big fight when YM twisted their arms to make them do something besides talk about themselves in meetings. Even when it was good and you could put three dozen roleplayers in the same place at once, god, that was back when the game was rocking like a quarter million subscribers. If they tried to hold something like a modern EM event back then the servers would have exploded.

In any case I don't know how they do it on GL now, but on Atlantic they have roleplay-only EM events regularly and practically nobody shows up to them. I went to the last Atlantic governor's meeting and live attendees were outnumbered by the one guy logging on ten accounts to roleplay his own bodyguards.

Occasionally I consider if you can't beat them join them attitude but the game means more to me than a stupid drop. And following the ToS as best as I can is my way of showing that I do care about the game...
OH GOD YOU'RE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILTHY MASSES.

Why don't you do all that stuff but try using a real template while you do it, learn to suck up a bunch of lag deaths, and just deal with the fact that you won't get drops that often. When you do get one, consider selling it and buying a real suit instead of putting it in your house to hug and lick for the rest of eternity. The majority of the game would feel less closed-off to you if you tried actually playing it.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use one account, just as I always have (except for a short period of time in 2015 where I was running two - the second account was never used for events though), and I've made maybe 1.5 plat total off of event drops since returning in 2014. Templates used: Tamer and thrower. Suits: Imbued. Weaps: imbued, 100% elemental damage. Neither template is very hard to make - both of my tamers were made prior to the Taming Mastery (on Atl, I shelved the skill-working until I got bored enough to max him out.) Throwers? I xfer a suit, scrolls, and some weaps over to a shard, and they're ready to rock in 2-3 days.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO, NO, and NO!

When you have more than one client open and use a third party app to control all those chars at one time with one keystroke, it's Multi-Boxing!

I like multiplex, it's a lot more descriptive of what is actually happening. Multi-box, multi-client are almost interchangeable terms.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making it impossible to run two or more clients on one computer would already go a long way. I wonder if this is possible.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO, NO, and NO!

Multiplex basically means using 2 (or more) things to control 1 thing.

Demultiplex basically means using 1 thing to control 2 or more things. (While perhaps a more accurate description for this topic, demultiplex is an even more cumbersome word than multiplex!)

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making it impossible to run two or more clients on one computer would already go a long way. I wonder if this is possible.
You can easily switch between login credentials with Windows OS, so possibly not?

And if the dev team did find a way to do this (say something changed with Windows), you could once again simply set up a second computer (box) and connect both computers (boxes) with a switch, allowing one keyboard and mouse to control both computers.

Or one keyboard and mouse to control 10 computers. All with their own monitors to manage what was going on. If you got creative, you could even have the switch send input out to each of the computers every time you pushed a key, controlling each computer (and UO account) simultaneously.

You get the idea.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And we wonder why the DEV team doesn't understand wth we are talking about.... =/
We UO players have developed a UO specific lingo all our own! :thumbup1:

Also, it sounds like what we UO players call multi-boxing, the DAOC team actually refers to as "macro-grouping"....and since DAOC is also run by Broadsword.......

Heh. Fun times.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can easily switch between login credentials with Windows OS, so possibly not?

And if the dev team did find a way to do this (say something changed with Windows), you could once again simply set up a second computer (box) and connect both computers (boxes) with a switch, allowing one keyboard and mouse to control both computers.

Or one keyboard and mouse to control 10 computers. All with their own monitors to manage what was going on. If you got creative, you could even have the switch send input out to each of the computers every time you pushed a key, controlling each computer (and UO account) simultaneously.

You get the idea.

One -could- do this, and it certainly is possible some would. Something tells me most multiboxers wouldn't bother. Setting up, say, three or more computers for anything is a huge hassle for numerous reasons.It wouldn't make muli-boxing impossible, but it would perhaps make it difficult enough.

But yeah, how difficult is it to ensure one computer runs only one client at a time? On the other hand, how difficult would it be to break or go around this restriction? No idea.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Multi-box, multi-client are almost interchangeable terms.
Ehh I wouldn't say so. Alt tab between two clients and control 3-4 chars by hand=multi client.
Use third party program to feed each client with same keyboard commands at once=multi boxing.

I'd say the line here is quite clear.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, one you'd shaft people who two paid accounts who don't abuse the rules. Two, anybody technical could easily run a virtual environment allowing a second client.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ehh I wouldn't say so. Alt tab between two clients and control 3-4 chars by hand=multi client.
Use third party program to feed each client with same keyboard commands at once=multi boxing.

I'd say the line here is quite clear.
So what do you call one player with two computers running one client each? Keep in mind "box" is much more synonymous with computer than a 3rd party application. It's where the phrase originates, you couldn't always run two clients on a single computer, so you ran multiple computers.

This is all just semantics but there's an obvious confusion, every week someone has to explain how multi-client and mult-boxing are not the same thing.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He's the easiest going of them all
/QUOTE]
Yeah that is true. He only agreed that I was a racist without any evidence what so ever.
I guess that's ok. Clinton called everyone in the country a racist during the debates.

Since everyone is a racists no one is a racists. Which is great. She pardoned me

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what do you call one player with two computers running one client each? Keep in mind "box" is much more synonymous with computer than a 3rd party application. It's where the phrase originates, you couldn't always run two clients on a single computer, so you ran multiple computers.

This is all just semantics but there's an obvious confusion, every week someone has to explain how multi-client and mult-boxing are not the same thing.
Yes, and now we're back to the beginning!

Does each computer have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor? If so, I'd call it a multi account holder using two computers.

Or, when we say computer, do we really just mean the "box", (the case, power supply, cpu, etc.) with the two "boxes" connected by a switch allowing both "boxes" to be operated by the same keyboard/mouse, but without allowing them to be operated simultaneously? In this case, perhaps "multi-boxing" is appropriate?

But, if we've defined the previous use as "multi-boxing", what do we call players who are controlling multiple accounts simultaneously? In the release from Broadsword regarding DAOC a couple of months ago, controlling multiple accounts simultaneously was called "macro-grouping". How........bland? Perhaps multiplexing (or demultiplexing) is.........sexier? :sad3:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that is true. He only agreed that I was a racist without any evidence what so ever.
I guess that's ok. Clinton called everyone in the country a racist during the debates.

Since everyone is a racists no one is a racists. Which is great. She pardoned me
Yea if Hillary says it, it must be true! She never lies!

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO, NO, and NO!

Multiplexing is when you hit one button that triggers multiple clients or computers.
Edit: Looked it up. The term came from the telegraph machine

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The UO client takes a giant dump when there's too much crap on the screen
It loads up memory then a crash. It will crash consistently running only one client and only one character on the screen. Running around houses on Ice Island (taming) for about 2 hours none stop. It has all the signs of a video memory leak. The more information (events) the faster the memory loads up.

I posted about this almost a year ago.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not only no but HELL NO. On shards that we do not have housing this is a must for exchanging items between our accounts. Multi-clienting was made legal with Windows XP so UO made ie where we could with newer versions of Windows. It is the 3rd party program that according to UO and EA ToS that is illegal, they just chose not to enforce it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It loads up memory then a crash. It will crash consistently running only one client and only one character on the screen. Running around houses on Ice Island (taming) for about 2 hours none stop. It has all the signs of a video memory leak. The more information (events) the faster the memory loads up.

I posted about this almost a year ago.
Just like I keep posting about stuff over and over and it falls on deaf ears... they don't care.