• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

departures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(so as not to hijack the other thread, putting my thoughts here)

Mentiras put up his "returning to game" post here on the Legends boards on 8/10/2010 and in less than a year he is leaving .... I believe he said for the third time .. and in his leaving will be not only dumping all of his treasures, but deleting his much loved and respected characters.

Just about a month after his return Fluffy held his first shard-wide event, Find Fluffy, and after that he was off and running. Every month a list of events was posted and he constantly sought new and unique ways to entertain all of us. I managed to make all but a few of these events and never once walked away thinking "well, that could have been done better". Each event was carefully planned, and if something did go amiss it was addressed if the event was repeated. Did I mention the prizes? There is no way I would have ever been able to get my hands on an Item Bless Deed in the normal course of my UO life, but I was handed one as a prize by Fluffy. The effort and resources spent by him on these events was astounding and in return he got... well, for too much of the time, ignored. The turnouts for the events, given the quality of prizes awarded and the effort put forth, was embarrassing. And please, before anyone tries to say it, each and every event was posted on these boards in ample time and Fluffy made it a point to remind people in General Chat about upcoming events. Not only did he do all this he also took on the job of reporting for Legends.

People come and go, we've all seen it. Some go to other games, some are growing in other directions, some just get bored. It is our collective loss that Fluffy Bunny leaves us and our humiliation that his leaving is the result of his true enthusiasm being met with apathy.

I had thought to end this with the question of how we could improve participation and then I remembered.... Fluffy had asked that many times. For this last month of his UO life he offered prizes to anyone that would hold an event and to date none have answered the call, so I'll not be asking.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Helios does a good job trying to at least come here once a month. However, no matter what happens, he receives a bad response from the player base.

He has to contend with a pvp community that despises the lack of pvp events. A trammel community that feels events in felucca are evil and wrong.

Players that become livid and spam him with flames and hate if any form of pvp behavior happens at his events.

It's pretty lose-lose.

I do believe more diversity in events would please the playerbase and more support for our EMs will result in a better response from the players. Ultimately, there is a feeling that random number generator contests are not immersive, not entertaining, don't leave a lasting memory and cater only to the crowd that wants prizes. If you took away the prizes from the random number generator contests they've held. You would not see anyone come.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Players that become livid and spam him with flames and hate if any form of pvp behavior happens at his events.
tried, can't let this slide..... there was only one person at the Boura fights with any harsh words for the EMs and they didn't come from anyone that was there for the fights or the rat wrangling

there is a feeling that random number generator contests are not immersive, not entertaining, don't leave a lasting memory and cater only to the crowd that wants prizes. If you took away the prizes from the random number generator contests they've held. You would not see anyone come.
two things... need an explanation of the phrase "random number generator contest"...... and, I agree about prizes and attendance

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tried, can't let this slide..... there was only one person at the Boura fights with any harsh words for the EMs and they didn't come from anyone that was there for the fights or the rat wrangling
That's untrue. A few folks said some not so nice things after I decided to start killing people, some to me, some to the EMs for not "banning" me. I know for a fact several vocal players on this shard send LOTS of negative comments towards our EMs.

two things... need an explanation of the phrase "random number generator contest"...... and, I agree about prizes and attendance
A random number generator contest is an event that has no reliance on player skill. It is the random number generator that decides the winner. Cow tipping is a random number generator contest/ whose loop macro works the best contest.
Animal fights are random to the extent that player skill isn't involved. You tame the best stats pet, then train it to max in a few hours then the random number generator decides which pet hits the hardest and most often.

That's not skill. That offers no degree of immersion, and frankly it's a slap in the face to long time players that have experienced quality events and now receive "RNG Events."

PvP events rely on skill, tactics, participation and coordination.

Monster killing events can at least offer a lot as far as story line and a sense of immersion if planned beforehand. Obviously 785324975 people attack the monster with 32793457328754 HP that 1 hit kills is not fun and quite lame but there is no rule that says an EM has to be lazy and resort to that kind of thing.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love for Fluffy Bunny/Mentiras to be our EM.

However I think you can not be EM on the shard that you play. So if not us how about Seige?

I think he'd make a rocking EM.

IMHO we need a EM with a brass set that will stand up to certain players who like to disrupt and ruin EM events. No I will not feed these players need for attention by naming them. I will say this these players should thank their stars I am not an EM, because if they'd disrupted one of my events they'd get tossed in UO jail.

BTW, if Mesanna didn't like it, she could wipe the boot prints off I'd have left walking over her head to upper managment.

I don't hate Helios, but unfortunatly he lets too much crap go on and he lied to my face. The first is forgivable but the second is not.

K

Kiminality

No I will not feed these players need for attention by naming them.
You're already feeding them by drawing attention to how their misdeeds bother you.

I will say this these players should thank their stars I am not an EM, because if they'd disrupted one of my events they'd get tossed in UO jail.

BTW, if Mesanna didn't like it, she could wipe the boot prints off I'd have left walking over her head to upper managment.
You wouldn't last a week as an EM, if you even got through the application process at all, and from your attitude I'm going say that most players should be thanking their lucky stars on that count.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I will not feed these players need for attention by naming them.
You're already feeding them by drawing attention to how their misdeeds bother you.

I will say this these players should thank their stars I am not an EM, because if they'd disrupted one of my events they'd get tossed in UO jail.

You wouldn't last a week as an EM, if you even got through the application process at all, and from your attitude I'm going say that most players should be thanking their lucky stars on that count.
I'm sorry Kiminality, but I'm a protestant. I do not belong to the "Holy Church of Dev Team Worship and Butt-kissology" nor will I ever. I USED have respect for Mesanna. Note the past tense. I no longer respect her nor anyone else on the dev team. If you wanna know why PM me or email me at Dstarsgal9@ aol dot com. BTW, everywhere I have work I have had nothing but PRAISE from my customers because I treat my customers the way I'd like to be treated. Oh, yeah I do work in customer service.

K

Kiminality

Unless you have some other massive issue that you've managed to keep a secret while carpet-bombing the forums with all your others, I don't think the PM will be necessary.

You claim to be this great master at CS, but you're missing the most fundamental part of the EM's position.
They are Event Moderators. They create and run events to enrich the gameplay experiences of the player. Not to enrich the gameplay experiences of the nice players, it's not their position to decide who is worthy to sample the fruits of their labours, and mete out justice in the form of event exclusion. That decision is made for them - everyone.
Respect for the devs doesn't enter into it. What you're saying is that you'd break a fundamental rule the EMs have to follow, to satisfy the bee in your bonnet, all the while claiming to have the barest inkling of how customer service work. You defy credibility.

PS. (The EMs can't jail, at all)

EM Helios

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't post o
ften but out of curiosity, how did I lie to you or anyone else's face? I do my job to the best available effort that time allows. Comments and criticism are alway welcomed. H

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't post o
ften but out of curiosity, how did I lie to you or anyone else's face? I do my job to the best available effort that time allows. Comments and criticism are alway welcomed. H
Awesome....

It's true though, Helios and I don't see eye to eye much but he does accept comments and criticism.

I

IRS

I dont know who would want to be an EM w/ all the bs you have to put up with.. between griefers and people whining over event items.. all the whining in general.. unappreciative bastids ... Someones taking time out of their day to do something for you *******s..

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No one looks at that though IRS =/
Official or Unofficial EMs, ya get crap from someone for everything you try to do, or not do.

TMC Crowley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know who would want to be an EM w/ all the bs you have to put up with.. between griefers and people whining over event items.. all the whining in general.. unappreciative bastids ... Someones taking time out of their day to do something for you *******s..

So very true!!!!!!!

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless you have some other massive issue that you've managed to keep a secret while carpet-bombing the forums with all your others, I don't think the PM will be necessary.

You claim to be this great master at CS, but you're missing the most fundamental part of the EM's position.
They are Event Moderators. They create and run events to enrich the gameplay experiences of the player. Not to enrich the gameplay experiences of the nice players, it's not their position to decide who is worthy to sample the fruits of their labours, and mete out justice in the form of event exclusion. That decision is made for them - everyone.
Respect for the devs doesn't enter into it. What you're saying is that you'd break a fundamental rule the EMs have to follow, to satisfy the bee in your bonnet, all the while claiming to have the barest inkling of how customer service work. You defy credibility.

PS. (The EMs can't jail, at all)
QFT. I mean all of it. I like this guy. He sees past your "im perfect and play nice with other people" bs. Cause your the elephant that would remember some misdeed from three or four years ago and jail/ban someone because they called you a newb and killed you in fell. Some people just arnt meant to have power.

On a side note as well, EMs dont have as much power as you would like to wield.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think this has gone far enough, and gotten way off track. Let's find something else to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.