• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Departing with style

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today is a bittersweet day for me. A friend has left the game and will be missed, not only by me but by Legends. Always looking around the corners to see what could be done better, ever faithful to his friends and generally enriching the lives of all of us, he has been a part of Legends and it's history.

Before leaving he gave away all of his fully loaded Luna homes.... probably the largest collection of runebooks on the shard, a highly coveted east gate house, a house with many of Legends past historical treasures and more.

While it is a loss for all of us it is also something that he has been putting aside for some time now, and, in his words, 'it's time to turn the page'.

Safe journeys to you, New Thunder... you will be greatly missed.

L

Lord Urza

Earlier this morning Thunder approached me, and asked me If I would be interested in his east gate house, I thought to myself I don't have the gold, nor the RL money to buy this house im sure.

When he corrected me and told me it was free if I wanted it my jaw dropped.
I was honored, That Thunder would think enough of me to offer me such a gift, as me and him didn't know each other very much in game.

Its always sad to see one of our historic vet players leave UO, and our shard. I wish Thunder the best in RL and where ever he goes and whatever he does now.

Now I ask you all, any suggestions for what you would like to see at this spot? We have two fine rune library's in luna, and plenty of vendors, so these two options im not really interested in, but I'm eager to hear what YOU want.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It couldn't have gone to a better person. You might not know everyone ingame, but your integrity and rep are known to all.
Off the top of my head, I would say a garden, heard someone mention arboretum, someplace pretty.
Might even consider a floor as a well (yet subtly-no blaze! lol) decorated wedding chapel.
Good luck, and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Earlier this morning Thunder approached me, and asked me If I would be interested in his east gate house, I thought to myself I don't have the gold, nor the RL money to buy this house im sure.

When he corrected me and told me it was free if I wanted it my jaw dropped.
I was honored, That Thunder would think enough of me to offer me such a gift, as me and him didn't know each other very much in game.

Its always sad to see one of our historic vet players leave UO, and our shard. I wish Thunder the best in RL and where ever he goes and whatever he does now.

Now I ask you all, any suggestions for what you would like to see at this spot? We have two fine rune library's in luna, and plenty of vendors, so these two options im not really interested in, but I'm eager to hear what YOU want.
Something hideous with pink flamingo's in the front works :lol:

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't a fan of thunder. Felt he was a bit of a pompous ass.

W

weezer

Hate to see a guy i played with go. You are one of the last links to the greatest time for me in UO.

Playing with fal, the old LD vs AE fights, LD vs anybody, etc were the greatest times for me in UO.

Looks like i am the last active member of FAL left standing (my brother does play occasionaly in fal still). 12 years of playing and only 4 people i have spent a lot time playing with are still here. Luckily i still enjoy the game, but it makes me think i have overstayed my welcome.

Hate to you see you go. Good luck with everything thunder.

Thanks for the good times and take care. Going to miss some of the "conversations" you and plucky had, keri playing the peace keeper with everybody and I just plain miss Sue.

Weezer

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This does however bode well for the shard. Hopefully all these new luna home owners will make nice designs and open vendor malls. This could make legends a healthier shard.

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh my goodness.... so many good people have gone, and more leaving. This just makes me sad, Thunder of all people. :(

DGgnome

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like I'm putting this in late, it's been in my brain, about a month since I've visited stratics. I've always been thankful for Thunder's defense of the common sense, even when the one being yelled at has no common sense, you will be missed Thunder!

S

Sorna

Wow, that is news i never thought i would see here.

Best wishes, Thunder = )

S

Sorcon Gartius

Good to see you go out with class and philanthropy. Welcome to the retirement home!

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont think there are anymore true legends players left. I think we ahve all retired!

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sadly I am too almost twelve years playing Uo, I am about to hang up the wreath on the door

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fare the Well New Thunder (aka Thunder Lips?)

K

KoolAidAddict

Well, could turn it into MY house!!??
Hehe, well Im kidding, cause I dont think you will, but just in case.....thought I'd offer.

Being more real.....how about a training house that you could set up rooms, perhaps, that could train as many skills as possible in a house/town?
I know I get bored training in my house all alone, and perhaps this might draw some company.

Justa thought!!:)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sadly I am too almost twelve years playing Uo, I am about to hang up the wreath on the door

just keep in mind you gotta get thru me

(and Omni, passing you in post count just doesn't feel as satisfying as it should)

L

Lord Urza

:rant2: Say it isnt so Kulder, at least give yourself a chance to get addicted to adventure on the high seas booster. Yeah?

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
just keep in mind you gotta get thru me

(and Omni, passing you in post count just doesn't feel as satisfying as it should)
Yea. I know it isnt. But with the recent Mod nazis and lack of interesting stuff I havnt seen fit to post.

Stratics is dying almost as fast as the game itself.!

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will indeed be missed Thunder! However, your departure is a class act.

Well played all!

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thought i'd post too. It is sad to see Thunder go. As for the library it will stay. Five left it to me. Been trying to decide if i want to redesign it or leave it the way it is. Tell ya'll this i felt like a thief or something. LOL

i can say that i knew Thunder, maybe not as well as some. Honestly never dreamed he give me a house, shoot never dream i'd be living in Luna Square.

:sad2::sad2: Dont know what more to say.

Luc

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am breaking my self imposed Stratics silence to post this...Oh well I did last two months! :lol:

I am going to miss Five Fingers aka New Thunder aka Hassan Chop aka Betty Crocker ..Those are the names I can remember. Five and I have a lot of history. Some of it is good, and some of it is well.......pretty darn bad.

Five and I might not have seen eye to eye on many things, but when the chips were down he could count on me to have his back. I could count on him to have mine.

He and I have had some epic and rather memorable feuds, :lol: in the end we always found a way to call a truce.

It’s ironic how he started out my sworn enemy and ended up a good friend.

Now I find myself saying goodbye and wishing he could have stayed. I know he couldn't. It’s like he said it was time to turn the page, and so he moved on.

I certainly didn't expect anything from him, nor did I ask. If he'd left me a single whispering rose I'd have happily accepted it while my heart was breaking at his departure.

Five certainly love doing the unexpected. That unexpected randomness included leaving me the house behind the rune library. Not in a million years would I have ever thought, hoped or dreamed he'd give me a house. I don't feel worthy of such a gift. I'm going to try and live up to it. I'm planning on sprucing it up a bit and having vendors and such. I will be calling it "Lonesome Dove Emporium".

Thanks Five. You certainly know how to leave with style. I'm sure going to miss you. :sad2::sad2::sad2:

-Jirel

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the way i see it, if you were given a luna home by thunder you are likely to sing his praises, which explains why devilsown, urza, luc, and jirel decided to make an appearance.

of course, we also have to remember that a house was given to ghetto smurf who doesn't have any friends outside of the other griefers whom he consorts with.

either way, i do hope the new owners place some vendors, redecorate/remodel their new homes, and bring new life to luna. it indeed sorely needs it.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
indeed. This is the same newthunder that insisted on keeping homes in luna from being productive to our economy and have essentially convinced many that there isn't even a reason to come to legends for the sake of buying stuff. He's probably a bigger contributor to the stagnation of this shards economy than any other single player on the shard.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
devil's I respect your opinion but can you tell me how hordeing homes that did nothing for our shards economic use has helped the shard?

O

Ozoneranger

Although not polite conversation, not ussing a luna home for commerce is absolutely like pooing in the punch bowl. ( =

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmmm
I believe if they own it, they can use it for whatever the heck they want to LOL
Library, Vendor shop, Dirt Plot, it's the owner's call and let's face it, do we need more vendors in Luna?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm
I believe if they own it, they can use it for whatever the heck they want to LOL
Library, Vendor shop, Dirt Plot, it's the owner's call and let's face it, do we need more vendors in Luna?
given the state of the legends economy. yes.

O

Ozoneranger

The purpose of luna is to have a market place, accessible to all players via a moongate. Yes even reds can make a noob blue and get to luna easily. Its Naive to think otherwise of the houses in luna. Each house of vendors gives you a unique yard sale to browse. So every house should be a shop with its own flavor and style. But I will say as long as it is being actively used then its all good, even if its just a wierd yard for people who dont just go outside and work on a real yard. ( =

But to just have a house sitting there doing nothing, and having no purpose to the shard is a waste of a luna house. And those people should be shunned, haha

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I differ.
First off, we don't have the population to support a Luna full of vendors...why do you think they keep dwindling down? Has no one looked around the shard lately?
And it's not just our shard, the population as a whole is dropping. Less players = less buyers = less peeps gonna pay a vendor to hold stuff for sale.
And filling LUna up to the brim with max vendors, isn't gonna make someone transfer to Legends to play. You seriously think a player on Atlantic is gonna go "Oh wow!!! Legends has a lot of vendors, let's go there and play!"
I don't feel it...

Secondly, where I live most of us have fierce individual right feelings, and fierce property right beliefs. If it's mine I can do with it what I wish. If it's yours, you are da man in charge and can do what you wish.
*shrugs*

Simple difference in philosphies, doesn't make one right and one wrong, nor one good and one bad. Just different. Yall keep it civil, regardless.

* goes to bed to stifle the urge to be nazi*

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It might make a person on legends say I can continue playing here because I can find good stuff. Or one of the many xfering players and multi shard players say legends is a nice shard to play. Or multi shard traders come with caravan loads like they do to other shards if they can sell stuff easily and buy stuff easily and browse easily.

Uriah, I hardly think it's good for the shopping mall to have broke down ass shacks randomly inside the mall. Remember you don't OWN anything in uo.

W

weezer

Interesting arguments both ways between Uriah and Omnius. I actually agree with both, but from a differing perspective with regards to Luna homes. I agree with Uriah in that it's your house and nobody else’s and do with it what you want. I also believe (with deep regret) that Luna has become the crown jewel of most shards for vending and interacting with players. A well set up and vended Luna (with places to go like taverns, rare museums, starting point for in game player events, etc) can really make a shard. I do know people who have left this shard because of lack of item availability (reason’s like, I can’t ever find this scroll, powder of fort, imbuing ingredients to make suits so I can play, I can’t find a stone table to decorate my house or decorations for it). Last night a guy needed an orni to finish his suit. Just about every shard has one for sale except us. He never found one for sale. Our small shard and the dwindling population of Ultima has a direct correlation too what is occurring in luna on your shard. If you like it or not, a strong Luna means a strong backbone for your shard and support for the players in it. Believe me when I say, I miss the days of good vendor shops throughout the shard (like woody’s), but those days are mostly gone.

As far as selling things, I can tell you I run a semi successful vendor shop on the south side of Luna (orcs head inn). And stuff does sell on legends. I could easily sell it for more on other shards, but I prefer to enhance the economy of legends. In fact, it sells so fast that I have a hard time keeping things stocked. I have a castle full of sorted items I don't have time to place on vendors (min 100k gp items). I believe a good vending system on legends would allow for price stabilization in Luna and allow people to keep interest in the shard. I can’t tell you how many times time I have heard in vent that "this shard is terrible, just look at Luna and the vendors on the shard". I like what urza has done to the gate house (all though I would like to see seasonal themes i.e. Halloween, Christmas, new years, Valentine’s Day, etc, and stuff that would tap into his creativity). I like the rune libraries; I like a lot of things about Luna currently. Shopping on UO is one thing everyone does, it could be for PVP items, deco, pvm items, etc and luna is the place for it.

I have no issue with how thunder used his houses (he had a museum, free vendor rental spots, rune library, etc.). I will also take no issue with how the current owners use their homes. However, I believe that luna could be so much more under the current owners who have time to do things with it. In a perfect ultima, the main gathering point (luna) would be full of things to do, activities, places to visit and things to buy. Basically, things people enjoy in Ultima.

I look at the possibility not what it was or is.

L

Lord Urza

] I like what urza has done to the gate house (all though I would like to see seasonal themes i.e. Halloween, Christmas, new years, Valentine’s Day, etc, and stuff that would tap into his creativity)
Thank you very much weezer, and yes I am planning to try to keep the designs there according to the seasons, and holidays.

If I ever truely feel that the shard is in need of more vendor housing, than I will fill the house with free vendors, but that will remain my call to make.

For now its just a little place of peace in the hectic luna, and makes things just a tad less cluttered.

:gee:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's amazing to me how a simple thread from a few people thanking someone for a few gifts can degenerate into negativity.
You people do realize, right, that with a little finagling, Thunder could have sold all this stuff and made enough RL $ to pay his rent for months! But instead, he gave it to players, to enjoy, and to be kept on the shard.
And for that, my hat's off to you Thunder, I haven't seen class like that in quite some time.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, someone who dosnt agree with your point of view is being negative?

Or, am I reading your post out of context.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is gonna bug the ever living crap out of me, so I'm gonna ask real quick and save myself the agony.

What was the name of the guild that he and Plucky ran together?

FAL? or was that a pvp guild...? uhhhhhh >.< gah! Halllppp!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, FAL ..... Freeholders Across Legends, and at times at idocs they may have appeared to be pvp :)

and Omni, it's just the parting shots as the guy walks out the door... impolite is what I think Uriah is thinking

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not sure about after I left, but when I was in FAL there was a lot of pvp lol
; )
And back on topic, it was very generous of thunder, people can do what they wish with his gifts, but we do need more maintained vendors in luna.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I can say, Thunder has some sort of uo bi polarness. One min he was a super stand up dude, the next he was such a pancake. I learned to live with it. We didnt always see eye to eye, but some how we managed to be kinda civil. If I needed anything I usually went to Thunder cause I knew he had it or knew where to get it. I would have done what I could for him had he asked, and I think he knew that.

I was honestly shocked that he gave those houses away as I know he had always talked about selling them for rl cash. He probably would still have made a fortune doing that..

Oh well, on to the retirement hall with us!

O

Ozoneranger

Well hope my posts didnt seem negative to you, cause I didnt mean them that way. ( =

But just to make sure let me just say. I agree with the original topic of how classy it was to give away his stuff rather then sell it. Greed for things that are not even real is lame, and to lie to yourself and think they have value is sad. But not as sad as the people who actually buy them. haha

:thumbup1:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hrm....

Never thought I would see this day. As Five Fingers old nemesis, I use to think he was wasting space in Luna also.
But.. in the end it was his choice, and he did to a lot for the community. The economy and player base flourished long before there were luna houses.
We defiantly NEVER saw eye to eye.. but I know handing over my Luna house (much less houses) to someone for free would most likely not ever happen, even when I quit. So for that he is most defiantly the better person.

I can honestly say I am sorry to see you go. Though we had some brutal wars, in the end it was still a fun part of the game. Hopefully you come visit cats now and again so we can harass each other :) I wish you the best!

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, FAL ..... Freeholders Across Legends, and at times at idocs they may have appeared to be pvp :)

and Omni, it's just the parting shots as the guy walks out the door... impolite is what I think Uriah is thinking
thank you! xD

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm....

Never thought I would see this day. As Five Fingers old nemesis, I use to think he was wasting space in Luna also.
But.. in the end it was his choice, and he did to a lot for the community. The economy and player base flourished long before there were luna houses.
We defiantly NEVER saw eye to eye.. but I know handing over my Luna house (much less houses) to someone for free would most likely not ever happen, even when I quit. So for that he is most defiantly the better person.

I can honestly say I am sorry to see you go. Though we had some brutal wars, in the end it was still a fun part of the game. Hopefully you come visit cats now and again so we can harass each other :) I wish you the best!
Does Flutter know your out and about without her permission? Or was it this great thread full of win reminded you of the catskills boards? :lol:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does Flutter know your out and about without her permission? Or was it this great thread full of win reminded you of the catskills boards? :lol:
OMG DON'T TELL HER!

:lol: