• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Demolished Township Banners....

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
hmm... I wonder what you were thinking when you saw the title of this post *Devilish Grin*

I would like to make a small request with the banner demolition. I was wondering if we could setup a place near the Hall of victory for inactive town Banners. Just the flag, not the entire design. (I think it would be to much work to put the design back down.)

Even though some of the towns were not around for very long, they still make up a part of our shards history. The Chesapeake community attempts to preserve as much of its history as possible, unfortunately at times, we are unable too accomplish this task. I thought this might be a good way to do that.

I just cant imagine the historical value we would have lost if the "Duir of Yew" was demolished and nothing left behind to remember it by.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I can discuss with Mesanna. The important thing to remember is that we aren't just haphazardly sending out the wrecking ball. It was made clear when we were introducing this system that the banner would be kept on the condition of activity. If the town falls, if the residents flee, and most importantly make no attempt at asserting a presence, well then there isn't much point.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
The important thing to remember is that we aren't just haphazardly sending out the wrecking ball.
That is a shame.... I was hoping it would randomly strike the office of Commander Drake Foxx and Tavalia Zodok while they were inside. *Runs and hides*

N

Nastia Cross

Dudley, I assume towns that have their banners demolished will also lose their spot in the Township Teleport Hub (if not they should).

I agree with Gareth here that perhaps a flag or small plaque can adorn a wall of inactive towns as a visual history.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, they will be removed from the hub. Also remember that at the Summit meetings any township can petition the Crown for removal of another township based on Inactivity. Remember, you can petition the Crown for just about anything you want...doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it though :)

And as for the Commander and Her Majesty's Ambassador....I hope for your sake they do not see your comments ;-)

T

Tancred RedStar

This seemed to cause a bit of a stir last night. However, I think it's important that just as new towns are built and recognized, the inactive ones should similarly be moved to the history books. If every last town that ever existed was perpetually recognized, there would be banners all over the place in no time. Surely, some of the towns of the past, some that existed for nearly a decade even, should be well commemorated. Mythndale and Nidaros certainly come to mind, and there are surely a host of others as well. Banners should recognize current towns, and some roadside historical marker or somesuch for others no longer extant. Better to worry about being well-remembered than not forgotten. Maybe we should have a Royal Historical Society to assess and make recommendations, to take input from scholars of lore and the keepers of libraries who love their tomes dearly.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is exactly the point, the banners are meant to recognize current townships. It was discussed a few months ago whether or not banners would be constructed for townships of yesteryear, and the final determination was made that banners are the reward for being active in bringing something to the community. We have been extremely lenient in regards to that requirement, understanding that people have various commitments outside of the realm and can't always be around as much as they'd like. The important thing to understand here is that if there is something going on communicate that to me.

That being said...with the fall months approaching and winter beyond that we are really going to be pushing forward with a lot of Township stuff that will be really fun for everyone so long as they wish to participate.

Remember, we only show you the door...you must go in it!

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Remember, you can petition the Crown for just about anything you want...doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it though :)

And as for the Commander and Her Majesty's Ambassador....I hope for your sake they do not see your comments ;-)
I hope they dont either because they would say "Is Gareth in your town?" then Miss Watson would say "yes". Tavalia would say "DENIED! NEXT!" heheh

Any possibility we can petition Scarlet Von Hot...err Trinsic for assistance? *Wonders if Dudley remembers the lightning and Shimmer Effusion*