• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ddo the "new" Treasure Maps really indicate the location?

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Folks,

came back to UO after a long break and started with a treasure hunter again. I saw the different methods of nailing down the exact position of the chest (this forum and hints of Petra Fyde) and did the following:

- put mining on the char giving me the 4 tile bonus
- made a screenshot of the treasure map, opened it in MSPaint and scaled it up to 400%
- used UOCartographer to match the map and my position
- started diging, working in circles round the assumed position

I was only able to localize 2 of 7 maps this way (Malas and Trammel). I put some effort in digging, working at least 20 min per map. I find it a rather poor match; and I am wondering if maybe the pin does not exactly indicate where the chest actually is. Maybe it is just a hint of the overall location, and you really have to search also in the neighbourhood? I am a bit confused, actually...

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Are you using the CC? Petra's post was using Pinco's UI in the EC, using the scale function to scale the player map and the treasure map. Once they are the same scale, you use the alpha function to make the treasure map tranparent and move it over the player map. It never gets it exact but most of the time it is within a few tiles. I do not have mining and I use this method and rarely spend more than a minute or two to dig up the chest.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, CC is my client.
I use EC being able to use the maps tilt feature so it faces the same direction is enough for me. I try to look at the landmarks because I can zoom it out to the same scale. Now I have noticed that some maps where the pen is the spot is 2 tiles or 3 to the east sometimes. I also used to have to take a lot longer to find the spots. Now it's like I just glance at both maps dig four points NSEW mover forward two or the side two and usually get it. You get more of a feel for it the more you do. Classic client shouldn't be to different. I use mining as well it does help. Some people say ohh you don't need it. Then when a chest starts popping up like five tiles away I think of the time I saved. I would just suggest that you save any you can't find right away to come back too.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have access to a Davies Locker you can put the maps inside and view the list with the character who has the cartography skill. This will show you the lat and long for each map. That narrows the search grid to something like a 10x10 tile area. Very easy to find, even with no mining.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx all, I have some Vet Rewards left so I will give the Locker a try. Thx a lot for your comments and help!

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you draw a line down from the red dot on the pin and right from the bottom of the pin the spot where they intersect is where the chest is located. I have mining and play the CC and can almost always get it on the first couple of digs. Now if only there were more ways to get level 6&7 maps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My experience is that some people's accounts can be up to a screen and a half off.

One of the expert opinions a few years ago (i.e. voiced by a dev around the time of the 15th anniversary party), was that if you ever moved your game window in the classic client from its default position, it somehow "broke" the positioning of the maps compared to how you see them - and the more you moved it, including trying to put it back to default, derailed the alignment further. Don't know if that was looked at beyond that hypothesis, other than they'd found traces of alignment issues with several other things (which included house placement in the CC).

Here's a classic example from one of my maps. This is FAR from being the worst I've seen, but well beyond any of the methods people use to explain how to "always" find the chest can account for. Note that there is an entire ocean inlet/river between ANY part of the pin, and the actual chest location. The dead mongbats and gator are where all the people trying to be helpful claimed it should be from all the chest-finding techniques.

map offset.JPG

BTW, the worst I have seen was on my old computer that I'd used for 5+ years, where a map east of Moonglow had a chest two full screens diagonally Southeast from the south end of the pin.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If using the CC and UOAssist's "-where" command, whatever EC gadget is that gives coordinates like -where (didn't use it enough to find it), or just using a sextant like in the old days, you can take the Davie's Locker coordinates, then go out in the field. Find the 4 corners of the area the locker gave, and drop something you can easily see (I typically use bandages), then pretend that you're Ballard looking for the Titanic by "mowing the lawn" (a grid search).
I.E., start at one corner, and dig in all 4 directions, stopping if you find it. If you don't find it, step forwards 2-3 steps, and dig all 4 directions again. When you hit the opposite side, and haven't found it, go 3 steps to the side, deeper into the "box", and repeat the process heading back the other way. You'll usually find it rather quickly, especially if you have mining.

Your typical search grid, due to the increments in degree minutes, is only a 15x15 box - if not smaller due to terrain limitations (coasts, rivers, stone outcroppings, etc.) Someone with mining should be able to check the entire box in 25 moves/100 dig attempts, but rarely will have to move 20-25 times (usually then, it's because the chest spot is at the edge, one way or the other, of the box, and usually the 4th line of dig attempts will find it even then).

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Wow, that seems like to much work but a great idea. I have GM mining so it's like a couple digs and boom

Sent from my Vampiric HTC of Arcane Virtue using Tapatalk

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow, that seems like to much work but a great idea. I have GM mining so it's like a couple digs and boom

Sent from my Vampiric HTC of Arcane Virtue using Tapatalk
That's what I have to do WITH GM mining. They were completely unfindable without high mining.

Porthos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi Folks,

came back to UO after a long break and started with a treasure hunter again. I saw the different methods of nailing down the exact position of the chest (this forum and hints of Petra Fyde) and did the following:

- put mining on the char giving me the 4 tile bonus
- made a screenshot of the treasure map, opened it in MSPaint and scaled it up to 400%
- used UOCartographer to match the map and my position
- started diging, working in circles round the assumed position

I was only able to localize 2 of 7 maps this way (Malas and Trammel). I put some effort in digging, working at least 20 min per map. I find it a rather poor match; and I am wondering if maybe the pin does not exactly indicate where the chest actually is. Maybe it is just a hint of the overall location, and you really have to search also in the neighbourhood? I am a bit confused, actually...
I draw a square in paint by making the right vertical side go thru the 3rd from the right red pixel line and the bottom horizontal line goes thru the 3rd from the bottom black "pin stem" . then the treasure dig spot is under the bottom right corner of that box you just drew. I am uploading a picture. sorry I did not see this sooner, I have been doing maps this way since they made the locations random. no mining needed. first dig everytime

Porthos
Porthos.png