• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dark Souls 2

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not in the mood to write a very lengthy review at the moment but I can express my thoughts on this game succinctly. It's more Dark Souls! More fearsome enemies around every corner, more hidden secrets in every dungeon, more jolly cooperation and menacing invaders in one of the most innovative online systems in the past 5 years of gaming. I'm so glad this series has found ways to keep going in the current generation of easy modes and plot-heavy gaming.

At its core Dark Souls 2 is a role-playing game. Although the starting classes put no limits on what kind of stats you can eventually have, few players end up being a jack-of-all-trades and getting very far. There are no waypoints, only paths of least resistance. The only thing you can be sure of is that the road ahead is dark, painful, mysterious, but often times rewarding. It often takes several attempts to complete an area, but at the end of it, you feel smarter, stronger, and in the mood to celebrate. The waves of emotion I've had playing this game are beyond comparison lol.

Some noteable changes in this entry of the Souls series: the usually esoteric crafting system has been made much more accessible and newbie friendly than in previous games. The New Game+ (and beyond) experience has greatly improved in a series that already had one of the better replay values. The online invasion system has been changed to make for a lot less griefing (at least on the first playthrough), there is still some but it mostly occurs in optional areas. Lastly, enemies can permanently disappear from areas if killed enough times, which accomplishes two things: it eventually makes an area easier to get through but also makes item/soul farming a less effective strategy for getting through the game.

Overall I score this game a 9.5/10. It is frustrating but fair. The graphics aren't the most amazing of any recent game (or even in the Souls series) but it still manages to pull off some gorgeous views and awesome moments. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves RPGs and has a good amount of patience.

Dark-Souls-II-Wyvern.jpg

Last edited:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I don't have lots of patience, but 9.5/10 is a glowing review. I'd consider it. Thank you!