• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Fonts...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

From the patch notes: The definitions can then be used for Labels, Buttons, and EditBoxes

Seems pretty straightforward, but there's a secret. Labels, Buttons, and EditBoxes are XML definitions... and those definitions cover just about EVERY text output in the UI.

This means we'll soon be able to have a custom font for just about ANY UI element that uses text (that we can edit in the XML/LUA anyway) up to and including overhead names and overhead chat.

I've done some work on this tonight and have those two items "hardcoded" to a custom font... now all we need is a font selector mod to add various UI elements to the list of customizeable fonts.

And as luck would have it, all of the fonts we had in BB_Enhanced in KR will be available including the Magic the Gathering font as well as the classic UO (OltimaUnline) font.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's finally a step back in the right direction... shame we had to wait almost a year since KR to get it back... but I'm glad it's back in nonetheless.

Custom fonts and resizeable containers made all of the hassle with updating the UI worth it I can't begin to say how happy those make me.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anybody tell me where I can download the original KR or the early SA font? Thanks!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For those who want to change the font of the damage numbers, here's the deal:

Move DamageWindow.xml from Default (unzip Default.zip if you need to) to your Fonts-enabled UI (C-E 1.7.7.1, S-E 1.0.1).

Open DamageWindow.XML in Notepad and look for <Label name="$parentText" sticky="false" font="UO_Overhead_Chat" maxchars="4" (should be line 8, the file is pretty small) and change the font name accordingly based on the definitions provided in the fonts.xml file.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I also need a list of fonts that players would want to be customizeable via the User Settings.

So far, I can think of the following:

- Papderdoll (Character Nameplate)
- Overhead Names
- Overhead Chat
- Damage Numbers
- Item Properties (also need to see if there's a way to separate the "title" line and the "body"... in the current file, it's all one font) Note that this also changes the font of moused-over labels.
- Hotbar Labels: Keybindings and item count (any desire for this?)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice detective work! I finally was able to change the the overhead damage font to an appropriate size. Now the fonts in my client look really good.

F

Fink

Please please please can we have a stroked font for visibility's sake? For overhead text but also plant gumps if possible (I can barely see the blue seed count).

Does a ttf version of the classic default font exist?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is a "stroked" font?
For good visibility, I'd recommend any font that is bold.

F

Fink

Stroke is a (usually darker) outline like around a cartoon character. It helps it stand out on backgrounds that have a similar hue to the text itself.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please please please can we have a stroked font for visibility's sake? For overhead text but also plant gumps if possible (I can barely see the blue seed count).

Does a ttf version of the classic default font exist?
Yes, outlines around fonts can be defined as well as shadows. And yes again for the "classic" font (Oltima Unline). We used it in the KR mods and now we can use it again. :)

I don't believe we can change the fonts used in the plant gumps, or any of the other classic looking gumps the devs made, since those are hard-coded in C++ and we don't have access to mod them.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Overhead Names
- Overhead Chat
- Damage Numbers
I already made mods for these ones (hopefully they still work).
And I think the Item Properties mod has font selection that splits between title or body... at least it did in KR... I forget how much got ported over.

Just need to add new fonts to the CustomSettingsWindow stuff.

F

Fink

Yes, outlines around fonts can be defined as well as shadows. And yes again for the "classic" font (Oltima Unline). We used it in the KR mods and now we can use it again. :)

I don't believe we can change the fonts used in the plant gumps, or any of the other classic looking gumps the devs made, since those are hard-coded in C++ and we don't have access to mod them.
Danke. :love:

My hope is some day they have enough faith in the EC to "complete" it. Not just squash all the bugs and add new features, that's ongoing. I mean really flesh it out in terms of full support, and not simply hack around Classic stuff (or worse, copy/paste it directly) because it's cheaper or easier.

The new client is meant to update both the look and function, but we get those old mid-90s style gumps jarring us out of the experience.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wish we could find someone who could take the Oltima Unline (the only version of the original UO font available) and could make it a higher resolution so it would look cleaner on the screen. That I think would do WONDERS for the look of the font in the game.

But then I guess that's the case with EVERYTHING about the 2d client... just too low resolution these days :/

Anyway... if we could maybe put out the call to someone who could do this...