• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Content Upload Cost Changes

• Thread starter imported_Qute Pi
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

<blockquote><hr>

I am assuming the upload prices have always been calculated according to file size. And you are right, when reordering, the file size doesn't change. What did change is the price to upload and reorder by 150%.

I'm sure it has something to do with combating the botters... /sarcasm

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why, but I get this image of CG dressing in her camos and applying camo make-up while singing "Kill the botters, kill the botters!".
Much like Elmer Fudd in the "valkyrie" cartoon singing "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...".
Lol

Now CG.... I was only joshing... you look nothing like Elmer Fudd... except for the red hat with ear flaps.

Don't hurt me.... don't hurt.... don't.... AAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

G

I really think the only reason is quite simple, it's an ugly green machine they call an ATM. Now if they had the gonads to just admit it, but of course it's easier to claim it's all done, payouts cut, prices gouged, to discourage the botters. I guess they increased prices on what I sold, yes that is past tense, because they think I have a bot program to create with

IMO, they are still doing it all wrong, no game left, all that's left is work. And now they put the screws to those who were enjoying being creative with new ways to decorate their lots.

lol at Donovan, wish I had that hat lol. Ima make that pinata pole now, and I plan on giving one to every money house in town &gt;:) that is, if and when, some one at EA can bother to take the time to actually approve anything. I still have things not reapproved that I had poof on me out of my inventory days ago. I want a damn refund, too.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I don't know why CC creators dont raise prices either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am accustomed to creating cc for Sims games at no cost to myself or my fellow players (over an above the original outlay for the game and our ISP connection fees). Having to worry about whether I am going to be paid enough for it so that I can afford to upload more, or working in a robot factory for 40 minutes for every chair I upload with a view to giving away free has rather taken the fun and purpose out of it.

If I could pay my already comparatively expensive EALand subscription each month and then enjoy the rest of my game activities free, it would just about come down on the side of "worth it".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad and wrong that EA is completely setting this game up so they are the only profit makers. When I met Thrill, I thought, WOW, this guy and roomies are true artist. It's a crying shame and it sounds like another attack on peeps to push them towards the ATM machines. I don't care if my sim dies 1000 deaths, I will never use it.

D

DGLita

This may not be a popular opinion, but there is an awful lot of cruddy cc out there. I see it in some stores and it makes me cringe, its so bad.

Then I go to another lot and see beautifully crafted cc at give away prices, which in the long run is bad for everyone.

Good quality beautifully crafted CC needs to be recognised as such with a price tag that goes with it. It shoud be desirable and slightly unreachable, I woudl get far more satisfation out of paying $2k or more for a beautiful item and knowing that i paid what it was worth, then seeing it on sale at $200 or less. This just undervalues the object and even more importantly undervalues the work put into it by the creator, who are just shooting themselves in the foot by undervaluing their work.

Putting up the cost of uploading CC, may I sincerly hope, stop the flow of the crud and put a more realistic value on the good quality stuff.

CC creators have to put the blame on themselves for this, if they had charged a price related to the artistic merit of the object, then this price increase would not have had such an impact on them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This may not be a popular opinion, but there is an awful lot of cruddy cc out there. I see it in some stores and it makes me cringe, its so bad.

Then I go to another lot and see beautifully crafted cc at give away prices, which in the long run is bad for everyone.

Good quality beautifully crafted CC needs to be recognised as such with a price tag that goes with it. It shoud be desirable and slightly unreachable, I woudl get far more satisfation out of paying $2k or more for a beautiful item and knowing that i paid what it was worth, then seeing it on sale at $200 or less. This just undervalues the object and even more importantly undervalues the work put into it by the creator, who are just shooting themselves in the foot by undervaluing their work.

Putting up the cost of uploading CC, may I sincerly hope, stop the flow of the crud and put a more realistic value on the good quality stuff.

CC creators have to put the blame on themselves for this, if they had charged a price related to the artistic merit of the object, then this price increase would not have had such an impact on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT QFT QFT!!!!!!!

I understand altruism, and I applaud it, but not when it undermines the ability of those who *do* want to make a profit off of their "hard" (in terms of mind power that it takes, and precision and patience) work. This can happen with rares in the game, if players attempt to sell them too cheaply. That's also how rares get devalued, and why players no longer will tolerate being charged even for food, when each and every plate costs the maker money.......because so many players started offering it for free, that a new standard was set, which now is contributing to players who love to host staying at poverty level, since those that tip don't make up for those that don't for the most part.

G

Don't you turn this around and put the blame on me. I created things for the many, many players out there who are struggling to enjoy something about this game. I care about my fellow players, the people trying to play this game, not the greedy jerks who have to be at the top no matter what it costs them for real. People who want to have nice homes and can barely make a living. I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money. Not everyone playing this game can afford to buy play money, I would bet the majority can not. And I don't think what the devs are doing is fair at all. It is only pushing more and more of the players out of the game. I was truly enjoying creating for people knowing how happy they were to be able to do up their lots in new ways, but I also understand their struggles, and I just can't see putting high prices on things when I know they can't afford to buy them.

I create things for IMVU also, there you can't earn the play money, if you want to shop, you have to purchase some play money to do it with, but the big difference is, that virtual 3D chat program is free to play. They also have it set up in a way that protects the custom content creators, no one can buy and resell our work. If we choose to let someone copy and recolor it, and it is our choice, then we make a profit off each of their sales, and so does the company. This whole set up is totally ridiculous.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

Don't you turn this around and put the blame on me. I created things for the many, many players out there who are struggling to enjoy something about this game. I care about my fellow players, the people trying to play this game, not the greedy jerks who have to be at the top no matter what it costs them for real. People who want to have nice homes and can barely make a living. I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money. Not everyone playing this game can afford to buy play money, I would bet the majority can not. And I don't think what the devs are doing is fair at all. It is only pushing more and more of the players out of the game. I was truly enjoying creating for people knowing how happy they were to be able to do up their lots in new ways, but I also understand their struggles, and I just can't see putting high prices on things when I know they can't afford to buy them.

I create things for IMVU also, there you can't earn the play money, if you want to shop, you have to purchase some play money to do it with, but the big difference is, that virtual 3D chat program is free to play. They also have it set up in a way that protects the custom content creators, no one can buy and resell our work. If we choose to let someone copy and recolor it, and it is our choice, then we make a profit off each of their sales, and so does the company. This whole set up is totally ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just dont see the damage you are doing, to yourself and other very talented CC creators. Ive seen your work cntrygrl, and im sure many others have too. Your stuff is stunningly good, do yourself a favour - dont undersell yourself and the others that work just as hard.

G

You didn't read my reasons for doing this, did you? It is not to get rich, it's because I enjoy making other players happy, and if the average player can't afford to buy my things, then it would totally defeat my purpose in making them.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point about bad cc. And it would make it less worth it to upload something that doesn't look good and think people will buy it.

However I spend many many hours on an item, and after that many more making sure it is perfect.

Just because it looks good doesn't mean I should overcharge people for it. I don't do CC to make a huge profit. I do it, to keep myself occupied with something game related, and to get the practice for the future. But raising the price over 50% of the previous cost isn't right after I invested the time and money to make it knowing what my upload cost would be. So all the profit I have made to date is now going to reorder items. I have to go make jams or whatever to sustain my income. How is that worth it to a good creator to waste their rl time?

My main issue is with the lack of communication and the sticker shock I received yesterday upon reordering.
After asking Luc to explain today in game, I was told "they are all calculated from variables I have" but no more detail was given. I explained to him I'm frustrated at the lack of communication and it would have helped to remain positive of the changes had I not found out the way I did.

Obviously all future uploads will be scrutinized to the fullest before I decide to make or upload them. At least now I know...........

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]*standing ovation*

CntryGrl, I see a lot of your works at the place where I live, and I see tons of other CC around the place - and there's no doubt in my mind whose objects are of a higher quality and value. I would willingly pay at least 2-3k for each of your yard gnomes because I believe they are worth at least that!

Something else that occurs to me: With creators charging so little for their goods, custom content is literally taking over the city. At some lots I've been to, the CC outnumbers the Maxis objects - and all of this may be contributing to all the lag in the game. The price hikes may be a way of countering some of that (at least keep it from getting any worse) until EA can address the lag issues properly.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

You didn't read my reasons for doing this, did you? It is not to get rich, it's because I enjoy making other players happy, and if the average player can't afford to buy my things, then it would totally defeat my purpose in making them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we do cc for the same reasons. Maybe thats why we are so bothered.
I don't think it's fair they should determine the value of our work beyond a point.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]*standing ovation*

CntryGrl, I see a lot of your works at the place where I live, and I see tons of other CC around the place - and there's no doubt in my mind whose objects are of a higher quality and value. I would willingly pay at least 2-3k for each of your yard gnomes because I believe they are worth at least that!

Something else that occurs to me: With creators charging so little for their goods, custom content is literally taking over the city. At some lots I've been to, the CC outnumbers the Maxis objects - and all of this may be contributing to all the lag in the game. The price hikes may be a way of countering some of that (at least keep it from getting any worse) until EA can address the lag issues properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point, and I would like to think people would pay more for my items, but the reality is everyone is always upset about how little money they have. So...what is a good cc creator to do? Sit on stock till someone comes around?
Especially her and I because we still aren't going to increase the price too much for our own profit...as far as I see it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that that is what it would take to be able to afford a few pieces of appropriately priced CC. A house full of it, maybe, but a person doesn't need a house full of all custom objects. It's been outlined here numerous, numerous times how a sim can earn a good, honest living without ever having to pay more RL money than they do for their monthly subscription, they just might not be able to buy that CC today, they might actually have to work at it for a week or two. By offering prices so low, you're creating less to work for in the game, and having less to work for is one of the things that led so many people to quit before....because once you have everything you could ever want, and a nice little nest egg in your sim account beside, what else is there left to do besides chat? Yeah, having to work hard drives away the ones that are into instant gratification, but those wouldn't be the players that would hang on for the long haul anyway.....*something* somewhere along the lines would piss them off, and instead of gritting their teeth and sticking it out, they'd walk away, so I'd rather create as many long-term goals in the game as can be, and leave the short-term stuff for things that players HAVE to have to be able to play and survive day to day. Custom content is not one of those things.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite. Some of us come from game communities where it is not only normal, but usual, to share our creations just for the love of making them and of sharing.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that that is what it would take to be able to afford a few pieces of appropriately priced CC. A house full of it, maybe, but a person doesn't need a house full of all custom objects. It's been outlined here numerous, numerous times how a sim can earn a good, honest living without ever having to pay more RL money than they do for their monthly subscription, they just might not be able to buy that CC today, they might actually have to work at it for a week or two. By offering prices so low, you're creating less to work for in the game, and having less to work for is one of the things that led so many people to quit before....because once you have everything you could ever want, and a nice little nest egg in your sim account beside, what else is there left to do besides chat? Yeah, having to work hard drives away the ones that are into instant gratification, but those wouldn't be the players that would hang on for the long haul anyway.....*something* somewhere along the lines would piss them off, and instead of gritting their teeth and sticking it out, they'd walk away, so I'd rather create as many long-term goals in the game as can be, and leave the short-term stuff for things that players HAVE to have to be able to play and survive day to day. Custom content is not one of those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that but it still shouldn't be without communication to the creator community. A warning would have been nice.

G

Some CC creators do not see the value of their items. Some want to be generous and not make a profit. Some want it all, they know the value and do not want to share (they do not want others to sell their items).

I hope you are right and some of this dreadful CC will eventually disapear from the game.

I roll my eyes when I see other ppl post here saying this other game does this and that. You are copying so and so.

However, one game I play charges a large upload fee when you submit. You receive one copy in your inventory. You have the option to list these in an Ebay type auction where they charge you a fee only on the items you sell. You can list up to 100 at a time. You never see the items you sell. When these items are purchased they go directly to the buyers inventory. You can run the auction for various amounts of time.
There, people can buy and resell your custom content. Anyone can list items in auction from their inventory. Right click and choose list in auction. There is a link in game that opens up an auction site where players buy and sell. The auction search features are very similar to ebay.

G

Just hitting reply.

There has been a little mentioned in here about the lag that all this CC may be creating. It may or may not be the main cause of the lag we all seem to be suffering with at the moment. One thing I can assure you of though is that it will definitely be contributing to it. For each player that enters a property for the 1st time that contains lots of CC, a huge amount of system resources and bandwidth is used for that player to download all that CC into their own system. Once that player has been there or somewhere where that content is on a lot, the CC is then available to be loaded directly from their own hard drive. Take note of how long it takes for the CC to come up in a CC store that has a lot of items you have never seen before. You have to wait quite a while for it all to load. Multiply that by a number of sims doing the same thing at the same time and EA's server and bandwidth will have to be effected. Especially as there seems to be so much new CC coming all the time. Each new batch of CC requires like a small update as we play, every time we enter a lot that has CC that our systems have not seen before weather it be in a store or any lot. So what we are all experiencing is a pile of small updates going on consistently as we all play.

G

Everything in everyone on the lots inventory is also loaded. If someone has a ton of CC in their inventory it takes them longer to land and it affects the lag in the room.

G

<blockquote><hr>

and all of this may be contributing to all the lag in the game. The price hikes may be a way of countering some of that (at least keep it from getting any worse) until EA can address the lag issues properly.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO!

I thot only AT&amp;T could reach that far!

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money. Not everyone playing this game can afford to buy play money, I would bet the majority can not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic doenst add up Cntrygrl, you keep your prices low so that those who choose to use an ATM cant buy them? Or do you think its beneath an ATM User to buy cheap cc?

There is another issue as well, why are you so set against people using ATMs? Surely they have a choice just like you do. A lot of players DO use the ATM, but they dont need to. They fall into the category of 'I want it all and I want it now' and in a way so do your customers with your encouragement. You make your beautiful cc cheap so that people dont have to save up for it, so they dont have to value it as much as they should.

My main sim earns her money, she has never used an ATM. She now has a size 8 lot with a beautiful house on it, a job at the robot factory, and she earns money on boards and jams. She does this because it gives her a sense of achievment to work and save, and then to buy lovely things for her home. Where is the satifaction in doing 6 boards to buy a peice of cc? She wants to treasure her stuff and to work for it. It gives her purpose and a challenge. She doesnt 'Want it all and want it now' she wants to enjoy the sense of purpose in working for something.

G

It seems to me that there is a ton of irony happening in this thread.
People are complaining left and right that payouts are too low and prices are too high.
But - in *this* thread, some are complaining that prices are too *low*!!

I'll bet the devs are laffing their donkeys off!

Better yet, maybe they'll see it as tacit approval to *tweak* prices some more.

C,mon, you devs!!! Give the players what they want!! Higher prices!!!

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

People are complaining left and right that payouts are too low and prices are too high.

I'll bet the devs are laffing their donkeys off!

Better yet, maybe they'll see it as tacit approval to *tweak* prices some more.

C,mon, you devs!!! Give the players what they want!! Higher prices!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This has crossed my mind too Donovan, its a totally bizarre situation to be arguing for higher prices, but its about valueing what you love in the game, and the vastly underpriced beautfully construted CC IS devalueing the game and is devalueing the amount of work put into it by the current and any future CC creators

G

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kept my prices low for them, the players, so they could afford to decorate and enjoy the game. Not for those who choose to use an ATM and have whatever they want whenever by just buying more play money. Not everyone playing this game can afford to buy play money, I would bet the majority can not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your logic doenst add up Cntrygrl, you keep your prices low so that those who choose to use an ATM cant buy them? Or do you think its beneath an ATM User to buy cheap cc?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it does. She's saying she wants to keep her prices low so that her stuff is affordable to folks who *can't* afford to buy simoleons from the ATM.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This has crossed my mind too Donovan, its a totally bizarre situation to be arguing for higher prices, but its about valueing what you love in the game, and the vastly underpriced beautfully construted CC IS devalueing the game and is devalueing the amount of work put into it by the current and any future CC creators

[/ QUOTE ]
"devalueing the game"???
That's a pretty serious assessment, and I can't agree with it at all.
Keeping money in circulation thru buying and selling is the driving force in any economy. "Purchasing power" is the stuff of stability.
Granted, we don't have any kind of real economy in EA Land at the moment, but if the mindset (when and if we *get* an economy) is "high prices and low pay" then we are going to wallow in the grip of economic depression.
I think the creators of CC are unrealistic in believing people should not take advantage of their largess, but "devalueing the game" is far too strong a statement and not realistic.
I look at CG and Qute Pi in a "discount store" light - sort of like WaMart or Target - except with better stuff.

I

imported_Qute Pi

thank you!

*shameless plug*
Eagle's Shop-Playground sells my stuff. :p Check it out, I need buyers, especially those who have money to blow! lol. My uploaders name is Tatum FiveTwoNiner.
*end shameless plug*

G

<blockquote><hr>

thank you

[/ QUOTE ]
Is a pleasurement.

The way I see it - it's your stuff, and you can price it any way you want.

G

I've "un-priced" all the stuff I have in the two shops I live at. Never having been one to "go with the flow" I reject this latest brainstorm of the devs with their no excuses, no explanations, and no reason I can see other than forcing more people to use their ATMs.

I can take my creative abilities elsewhere and not have to deal with the bs I've been dealing with here.

If I create anything new for this game, it will be done as requests, or for myself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

and all of this may be contributing to all the lag in the game. The price hikes may be a way of countering some of that (at least keep it from getting any worse) until EA can address the lag issues properly.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO!

I thot only AT&amp;T could reach that far!

[/ QUOTE ]

She's got a point. The alternative to doing it the way they are doing it would be to turn off new custom content creation completely until the lag issues are sorted out. Can anybody who makes CC regularly honestly say they'd rather see that happen than the price hikes that discourage 'casual' uploading?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be drinking, or sleep deprived, or something this evening not to understand the distinction. The things that are too high are the ordinary objects that are not WORTH what is being charged for them. Custom content creations are unique and original, therefore they ought to command the prices that the ordinary stuff is priced at now. If somehow the two can be swapped out, or custom content creators have minimums that they MUST charge for their CC, the easiest being so much percentage of what it takes to upload it or whatever, then everything would be perfect. I think CC creators are trying to compensate for the overpriced stuff by underpricing their stuff.....two wrongs never do make a right, so it's easy to see how compensating for one by doing the other isn't going to work, no matter how logical it seems to the person at the time.

G

just FYI, they've also neglected to bother approving anything for days, also without any mention of it to the community...

G

<blockquote><hr>

just FYI, they've also neglected to bother approving anything for days, also without any mention of it to the community...

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on how many days we're talking about, that could be because of the weekend, since today is Sunday. I believe Parizad has been taking weekends off lately, as well she should since she is the only one who is manually approving/disapproving stuff. I recall her saying she was taking one weekend off, but I don't recall if she said that custom content would only be approved Monday-Friday from then on or not, but I wouldn't blame her if she did.

G

I'm actually talking about some things I did last weekend, I had them approved and in my inventory, I landed at a lot and had an error message saying these things could not be loaded... they poofed, gone. Four out of the 7 that I lost I only had the one copy of, so I had to re-upload them again, this was I think tuesday, maybe wednesday. Since then I got one of the 4 reapproved. Her weekends seem to start and end on different days than most peoples. I think it's fine she gets time off, but they need a better system for the approvals. I've seen her in game several times since I reordered, and I sent her an offline message about what happened, but I never got a reply.

I thought maybe they stopped approving because of an apparent bug that is poofing the cc objects from our inventories, there are threads about it in the other forum. If that is the case, that's fine, but again, their lack of communication about it causes for more anger among those of us uploading. And now, rather than explanations of why no approvals, they increase the reordering prices by 150%.... something just doesn't seem right about the whole situation.