• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Crystals for the Gorgon Lens

niceguyteddy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I ran sown to the Shimmering Infusion looking for crystals but its closed for remodeling. What type of crystal are people using for the lenses and where do i get them?

Thanks in advance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOL....

That's scenery, from the fiction about the original introduction of the dungeon.

You don't even GET into the first part of the dungeon until you go through the "closed for Remodeling" barricade, then go down a hole at the back. From there, you got to get keys for the Shimmering Effusion to even get to the Effusion peerless.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
behind the curtains down there is a set of metal doors (you can just see the tops) open these and walk through the curtain to the back, there are two small square holes, you want the one pointing west on the UO map. drop down through this hole there will be a grid with what looks to me some type of electricity running across it, walk on the grid follow the jumping bolt, it will eventually teleport you to the first room with cyrstal demons in it, kill these, take the peerless keys that they drop (each will have a countdown on them) do not worry the count is long, you need to get powers of 4, because you need 4 crystal fragments to make one crystal dust (with alchemy skill), which you then need 3 crystal dust and 2 scales (dragon, sea serpent, etc) to make a gorgon lens (with tinkering skill). Also keep an eye out for crystal fragments on the ground that highlight when you scroll over them, as they are blessed and have no timer on them, these can also be convert into crystal dust. I only go into the first room as the creatures get harder farther in.

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hear rumours that pottery fragments can also be turned into crystal dust.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No longer rumor - 'tis a fact:) Alchie needs 4 pottery frags, grinds into 1 crystal dust. Give Tinker 3 Crystal Dust and 2 Medusa scales to make Gorgon Lens.

I hear rumours that pottery fragments can also be turned into crystal dust.

K

Kallie Pigeon

FYI Looking around it appears that different items can be used to make crystal dust including the crystal keys that summon the peerless if this site is right http://www.uoguide.com/Crystal_Dust
In addition dragon scales or sea serpent scales seem to work

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that link lists "Crystalline Fragments", but not "Ancient Pottery Fragments".

Are you sure about this? I have alot of pottery fragments, not so many crystal.

K

Kallie Pigeon

that link lists "Crystalline Fragments", but not "Ancient Pottery Fragments".

Are you sure about this? I have alot of pottery fragments, not so many crystal.
I just made a gorgon lens with crystal dust made from pottery fragments and sea serpent scales

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent! I am now working on Alchemy.

I did medusa last without any lenses, and it was a big pain. Much better with lenses, even the "lesser" ones are better than nothing.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes the pottery frag work as do the timed ones

And any scale works also, Sea Serpeant and any of the Dragon Scales, and the Medusa scales also.

They are all colored the color of the scale used to make them.

Soloing the medusa goes thru roughly 3 gorgon lens'

Gorgon lens' can be placed on Headgear, Neckl Gear, Earings, and shields.

:lol:

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Yes the pottery frag work as do the timed ones

Gorgon lens' can be placed on Headgear, Neckl Gear, Earings, and shields.

:lol:
Does this mean if you put one on top of your headgear, one on your gorget, and one on your shield, you would be covered and not have to replace (assuming three is what you would need)?

Another related question: do you get some kind of system message when a gorgon lens is used up?

Thanks!

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note that Hydra Scales do not work, as I just tried them. But Dragon Scales work fine.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

you do not get a message when the lens is totally used up, but you get a message each time it reflects medusas gaze. Basically, if you have 4 on you should be good until she is dead and not be turned to stone, unless you are soloing her.

L

Lady Miriel

you do not get a message when the lens is totally used up, but you get a message each time it reflects medusas gaze.
I got a message when I used up all my lens charges.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
has anyone foudn truely a great way to farm these crystals? ihave a stack of 1,700 medusa scales i need to turn into gorgons. See before when tons of people were doing peerless of shimmering effusion, they were abundant, now there is none for sale on any server.

so whats the best way to get these crystals, is it truley just down in the peeless?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to the crystal deamon room with a sampire (really, any whirlwind character can do it)- honestly, I find myself having trouble keeping up with the looting.

Supposedly you could grid up glass swords as well, I never got around to testing that one though.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw that on my ... was it alchemy tool or blacksmith one I don't remember ... anyway the grinding of glass swords.
The thing is : where are those glass swords ? :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
loot in Ter Mur. Trying to remember if you can buy them as well?

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:wall:
i dont know but this sucks..
takes 4 broken crystals to make one crystal dust..
takes 3 crystal dust to make one lens...

takes maybe 10-15 minutes to get enough crystals(doing the elementals in shimmering dungeon) to get one gorgon lens...
which lasts what 10 seconds against medusa?

there has to be a easier way, yes you can make the weapons and break them. But even then you have to go farm sand, and craft then destroy.
Since no one farms crystalline rings, that i know of, the crystals have become scarce if not non existant in bulk.

would be nice to figure out a efficient method..

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:wall:
takes maybe 10-15 minutes to get enough crystals(doing the elementals in shimmering dungeon) to get one gorgon lens...
which lasts what 10 seconds against medusa?
Depending on how quick you kill her, sometimes 1 lens can last for 2, maybe 3 fights.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i put 20 some lens on multiple items. There gone within 8 minutes maybe? Though i solo her, i bring in a bard on an additional client and discord her.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can only put 1 lens on an item at a time. It provides ~30 charges (I only use ones made with Medusa scales). Soloing her, I'll go through about 2 lenses. With 1 other person or discorded, I used about 20 charges (2/3rds of a lens). In a larger group, it really depends on the damage output and how prepared the rest of the group is. The best we've done is with 2 sampires, 2 archers and a bard. Used like 9 charges.

Last edited: