• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crystal Ball of Knowledge

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you always wished you could get a Skill Tutor Statuette but had no more new characters to make and/or don't enjoy using the Enhanced client and doing the new character starter experience, you will be very pleased to know that a comparable item is now available by doing a quest in the Royal City.

You get the quest from Ortlem, a mystic NPC in the Royal City south of the "farmer's market" area. He asks for 100 dragon's blood and 100 daemon bone and even gives suggestions on what to kill to get them. The reward for the quest is a blessed Crystal Ball of Knowledge. Turn it on and use a skill (e.g., cast a magery spell) and the crystal ball will tell you whether or not you are training at the optimal level or doing something that is too hard or too easy.

Thank you, UO team. This is a wonderful gift!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need me one of those to train throwing and Mysticisme. :)

C

Connor_Graham

Now this is a sweet quest reward!

I want to take a moment to thank you, Tina, for everything you've done, not only in the past few days with the step by step tutorials, but all throughout beta as well. You've spent ungodly amounts of time on SA, and deserve a pat on the back from the entire UO community. I'm proud to be able to call you friend.

J

Juraveil

I must be stupid or something, I collected the items required according to this thread but I cant get him to talk to me. What is the keyword to use?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you just double click the NPC and it will pop up the quest. Pretty sure he just has the one quest to offer so you dont need to keep clicking him (or his life bar) to get the right one.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check if you can do this quest again
Yes it is repeatable. I just completed it with my warrior, and 3 seconds after collecting my reward I attempted to take the quest again and it let me.

Be forewarned, this has the potential to be a long quest. On a chiv fencer it took me about an hour. The hardest part was collecting the demon bone. The critters that spawn it are tough to find. Not all of them drop the bones, only the mid to high level ones do... and they seem to be few and far between.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is repeatable. I just completed it with my warrior, and 3 seconds after collecting my reward I attempted to take the quest again and it let me.

Be forewarned, this has the potential to be a long quest. On a chiv fencer it took me about an hour. The hardest part was collecting the demon bone. The critters that spawn it are tough to find. Not all of them drop the bones, only the mid to high level ones do... and they seem to be few and far between.
You can also collect daemon bone from any monster in Doom. The room that Victoria is in has a good low-level spawn that should get you to 100 bones in just a few minutes.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not all of them drop the bones, only the mid to high level ones do... and they seem to be few and far between.
You could always go to Doom :)

( alternatively, if you have no moral qualms about it, you could "engineer" a little growth and development of the little slimes - yes it is possible )

edit: split-second too slow

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't even think of doom. I'll have to try that tomorrow, I'm worn out for tonight.

How do you "engineer" the growth of the slimes? I assume they grow as they kill other creatures? (I saw a few attack other creatures, but they were over matched) Would I need a bard for that?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the patch notes, there are 3 different evolution paths: one for void critters left alone, one for void critters that go on a killing frenzy and one for creatures that bunch together and develop a hive mind.

The refugee camps on Legends were getting demolished until some tamers came along and cleared out the invaders.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Upon further investigation I have decided that this quest is not as hard as I had initially thought. Somewhere along the way while looking for silver snake skins I found a post suggesting hunting sliver serpents at the little farm south east of Ter Mur. (The quest where you need to pull weeds to find a pitchfork) One of the monsters that spawn when you pull a weed is a void demon (Beadlem or something like that). They drop 15 demon bones at a time. That farm is a short walk from the raptor fields. I just completed the quest two more times (done it 3 times total) in less than 45 minutes.

B

BellaofCats

Two questions: First, do you need the most recent upgrade to take this quest and second, can you just buy one off a vendor and use it?

Thanks for any ideas!

Bella

* I went ahead and bought one from a vendor and am happy to say that I am able to use it.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The quest is in Ter Mur so you do need to have SA to do it, not sure if anyone can just use the ball though.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A character on an account without the SA upgrade can successfully turn on and use a Crystal Ball of Knowledge.