• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crushing blow on pets does nothing

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Title Says it all. Sound effect and animation can go off and either no damage is done or it's the same damage as a base hit.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure all specials from pets & npc's in general do this sometimes (some more than others), the animation goes off, but you don't get hit or your pet doesn't actually hit the enemy..

Sometimes it even goes off when your pet misses, examples would be, greater dragons landing a bleed on you without actually dealing any initial damage.

I think by far the easiest example & replication would be the Yamandon (tokuno) using double strike but absolutely cannot hit with the 2nd hit from it.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
heh so it's the same as with players. ;P
You can miss the swing, but there is never a time when you land the swing do crushing blow but no damage is done as a player.

I'm pretty sure all specials from pets & npc's in general do this sometimes (some more than others), the animation goes off, but you don't get hit or your pet doesn't actually hit the enemy..

Sometimes it even goes off when your pet misses, examples would be, greater dragons landing a bleed on you without actually dealing any initial damage.

I think by far the easiest example & replication would be the Yamandon (tokuno) using double strike but absolutely cannot hit with the 2nd hit from it.
When damage is done it's still the same as a base hit.

Going to train this pet up to see if higher wrestling/tactics, etc make a difference.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, i reported this during TC Testing. Crushing Blow does absolutely nothing for pets, other than 10 Stamina damage to their victim.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can miss the swing, but there is never a time when you land the swing do crushing blow but no damage is done as a player.

When damage is done it's still the same as a base hit.

Going to train this pet up to see if higher wrestling/tactics, etc make a difference.
Right, I was just showing other examples hopefully if the devs see this, and the other examples are related, it could all be fixed in one go... (probably too much to ask for though, givin the track-record when it comes to bug fixes...)

I mean though it's completely unrelated, this is till an issue...

Does your pet have chivalry by chance?
Enemy of one OR slayer bonus causes crushing blow to deal no additional damage from players as well, since it doesn't stack with enemy of one or slayer bonuses.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does your pet have chivalry by chance?
Enemy of one OR slayer bonus causes crushing blow to deal no additional damage from players as well, since it doesn't stack with enemy of one or slayer bonuses.
It does have chivalry, that would be pretty dumb for it to not work since it is treated as a damage modifier under the cap.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It does have chivalry, that would be pretty dumb for it to not work since it is treated as a damage modifier under the cap.
Yea, it might be considered a bug, the damage from Crushing blow is considered a damage modifier.

I haven't tested crushing blow as a pet special, but I know Crushing Blow never has stacked with Enemy of One *and slayer/perfection (only 2 of them) for players, I'd imagine it would be the same for pets now that they're able to use Chivalry, So if your pet has enemy of one active, crushing blow probably wouldn't do any additional damage above the normal auto-attacks, while EoO is active at least.

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, it might be considered a bug, the damage from Crushing blow is considered a damage modifier.

I haven't tested crushing blow as a pet special, but I know Crushing Blow never has stacked with Enemy of One *and slayer/perfection (only 2 of them) for players, I'd imagine it would be the same for pets now that they're able to use Chivalry, So if your pet has enemy of one active, crushing blow probably wouldn't do any additional damage above the normal auto-attacks, while EoO is active at least.
Interesting. I'll test it and submit a report if I can figure it out. Glad I didn't waste scrolls on these pets.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Confirmed, Even without Chivalry it still does not receive it's bonus to damage. All it does is drop the stamina 10 points.

*Flushes drake down the toilet*

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ope, I found the issue. Straight from the Player Wiki page on uo.com

"Crushing Blow Drains 10 points of stamina from target on impact when used on weapons with speeds 3.5 or greater."

The problem is they don't know how things in the game actually work......

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't that the one that makes your target do **is confused** ? And it stops attacking for a moment ? Saw it last night on my saurusaurus right before I released it for having points I couldn't get rid of.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't that the one that makes your target do **is confused** ? And it stops attacking for a moment ? Saw it last night on my saurusaurus right before I released it for having points I couldn't get rid of.
No, that's Tail Swipe that does the "*is confused*" message. Even though you can't add any more abilities/moves to the Saurosaurus (you were able to during TC Testing), it still makes for one of the best tank pets. The Saurosaurus comes with Life Leech, so half of the damage it inflicts, heals itself. Plus they can spawn with up to 85 Physical Resist and 90 Fire Resist, which are overcap for the new Leveling system. My Saurosaurus with Consume Damage up on him can tank the Stygian Dragon like a boss, the Stygian Dragon can barely even scratch him. You really don't want to know how tanky the Saurosaurus is if you give him a Vial of Armor Essence.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So armor pierce actually does what I wanted crushing blow to do and then some.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So armor pierce actually does what I wanted crushing blow to do and then some.
Armor Pierce ignores a portion of the victim's Resists, while debuffing one of the Resists for a short while. I still have to do testing to determine which Resist is dropped (is it based on pet's elemental damage), and by how much.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Armor Pierce ignores a portion of the victim's Resists, while debuffing one of the Resists for a short while. I still have to do testing to determine which Resist is dropped (is it based on pet's elemental damage), and by how much.
Hmm? It should do 50% Of the damage dealt directly to the target. So if it bites for 80 damage it would hit for 120 damage total with armor pierce. Plus 10% Bonus damage to the target for ~ 4s from all sources.

If a target has 40 or less in a specific resist and your pet is hitting 100% in that resist, armor pierce > Armor ignore. especially when paired with any other abilities to lower resists.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm? It should do 50% Of the damage dealt directly to the target. So if it bites for 80 damage it would hit for 120 damage total with armor pierce. Plus 10% Bonus damage to the target for ~ 4s from all sources.

If a target has 40 or less in a specific resist and your pet is hitting 100% in that resist, armor pierce > Armor ignore. especially when paired with any other abilities to lower resists.
In that case, i see a Fire Beetle with Armor Pierce and Rune Corruption being incredibly powerful for group utility/damage. I'm in the largest guild in UO, and so for our daily Hunts, i tend to go for templates/pets that will provide the most group utility, so we can drop the bosses faster. My Disco/Tamer using a Fire Beetle with Rune Corruption/AI halved the time it took to kill Shimmering Effusion yesterday.
Wrestling Mastery also provides insane damage against lower Resists targets with every hit, but it takes up all available Ability/Move slots, and only benefits the pet.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In that case, i see a Fire Beetle with Armor Pierce and Rune Corruption being incredibly powerful for group utility/damage. I'm in the largest guild in UO, and so for our daily Hunts, i tend to go for templates/pets that will provide the most group utility, so we can drop the bosses faster. My Disco/Tamer using a Fire Beetle with Rune Corruption/AI halved the time it took to kill Shimmering Effusion yesterday.
Wrestling Mastery also provides insane damage against lower Resists targets with every hit, but it takes up all available Ability/Move slots, and only benefits the pet.
Yeah i'm kind of torn between Fury and Rune Corruption at the moment. I made two identical fire beetles to see which I liked better. One lowers the resists more, but the other does damage on top of lowering the resists.