• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crossing shards through moongates ?

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When are we finally be able to travel from shard to shard through moongates?
Would make the game much more interesting imo.
Oh and including japanese shards OF COURSE !

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never.

EA makes like $20 for each character transfer they sell, why would they give that service away for free?

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just for the reason that it is necessary for the game to go on...

Isn't that a good reason ?
Its my conviction anyway !

(AND, it might eliminate some duping as well as, by reading these boards, it seems that char transf favours duping??? and, all of you, UOhaller hate duping, don't you?)

M

Marcus Blackwell

(AND, it might eliminate some duping as well as, by reading these boards, it seems that char transf favours duping??? and, all of you, UOhaller hate duping, don't you?)
Dont think it would elimate any duping at all..it would just make it easier to transfer duped items to other shards and awhole lot faster I think if there was moongates to other shards. Plus like already mentioned why would they offer a service for free when they are making money on it with the transfer tokens.

C

Capricious

It would make the problem worse, in my opinion.

Support the game by buying the transfer token.

G

Green Meanie

becouse noone pays UO the 20$ everyone buys the tokens for 12$ from an outside source. In the end though i think it would be a bad thing its hard anofe to build a community on a shard much less if ppl can jump ship at a whim

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
becouse noone pays UO the 20$ everyone buys the tokens for 12$ from an outside source. In the end though i think it would be a bad thing its hard anofe to build a community on a shard much less if ppl can jump ship at a whim
The servers (the big ones holding all the data for one "shard" I assume this is how it works) have to exchange data very seldomly when someone x-shards.. This is probably completely unnoticeable via lag by ANYONE.. However, when people start walking through "server" moongates every 5 seconds, I can imagine LOTS of blackholing, duping, and overall LAG FEST as these massive servers designed for client-to-server communication start passing huge packets of data back and forth for every character that transfer to a new server... skills, bankbox, backpack, valifying contents, etc etc...

I don't know much about this stuff but I'd imagine it wouldn't work out that well..

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That ability could be comically tragic for some. :) Sight for example some newer players...they see all the gates to all shards and pop thru em exploring all the shards and so they pop thru the Moonglow Trammel moongate on their shard to find they have entered SIEGE PERILOUS. :) OoOO Um no !! This would not work unless they left Siege off that moongate popping...although it could be comically fun to have an entire GANK SQUAD from say Chesapeake or some other shard all land enmasse on Siege to pk every pk there etc.

Ahem ...........I think we can *visit* any shard we wish just make chrs. there...but hopping moongates on existing chrs. to travel shard to shard could bring in MOBS to any shard....plus with the fel tram rulesets...they would have to DO SOMETHING to prevent say any pack of pks from ...coming from x shard to say trammel of y shard and just makin tons of lag or just arriving to go around swiftly slaying everyone. :)

Could be um comically interesting though. :)

B

Beer_Cayse

just wait until all the runes you have marked on shard "A" won't work on "B" - perhaps because of housing difference, special event items, etc.

also, because that's why EA charges for shard transfers (as noted elsewhere).

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was FUN QueenZen :lol::lol:

Oh well... I really like my idea :popcorn: maybe will happen one day, one way or another, and it'll be very fun and interesting :cool:
One can hope :confused:

*Edit* Oh...and, (while I'm at it) I'd like them to stop deleting decorated houses when ppl quit or stop playing.
Reason ? It's a great pleasure to visit old decorated houses on our way to somewhere and it's a real pity to see all this go poof just for a question of...money...!!!...(yes, daring...). See how sad really it is to walk through the lands with EMPTY or non-decorated houses... Especially the vets ones who have quit. And there are MANY!

(think I have had too much coffee today :hahaha:)

H

Heartseeker

I like your ideas RoseBlue, unlike the rest of the majority here.

I would love to travel to other shards via moongate.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your ideas RoseBlue, unlike the rest of the majority here.

I would love to travel to other shards via moongate.
I would too. :D

But ea wouldn't like the money lost from the transfer tokens.

Maybe if you could go through it only once a month. That way you either have to wait a whole month to get back to your shard or you have to buy a transfer token.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The duping problem does NOT come from the external character transfer system but from the actual transfer of a character from one server to another. Allowing Moongates to do this constantly would create a HUGE dupe issue (Jeremy addressed this very thing in the last Town Hall meeting before she left).

K

Kratos Aurion

How is it necessary? It isn't necessary to transfer to make the game playable under any circumstances. The only people who make use of the service tend to be elite pvpers who like shard hopping, brokers and merchants. Basically a small majority compared to the rest of the playerbase who use transfering far less frequently.

Besides even if tokens do get duped, the money that EA does make from them is probably enough to maintain the service at a fee. And like others have said you'd be better off supporting the game and pay the $20.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I personally think that Shard Xferring needs to be MORE restrictive than it is. It should NEVER have been used as a way to transport goods. ONLY things that should have ported over during an XFer would be the character, stats and skills (including adjustments such as scrolls eaten, vet reward skill cap adjustment, AOS stat adjustment, etc), then the character should have been outfitted with anew set of newbie items based on the top 3 skills and a scaled amount of gold (i.e. characters at the skill cap would recieve the most then scale down based on number of spent skill/stat points to the base 1000 gold newbie level).

It would have made it more of a decision to consider on the part of the person Xferring and you NEVER would have had the HUGE duping issue that XFers have caused.

T

The Home Guild

I say no.
I don't agree with shard transfer as it is.
All it did was flood shards with dupes,lower the value on homes/items/rares.
Especially rares!!

I'd be happy if they did away with it.

i agree with poster above me.

O

Old Man of UO

The problem is that you can only have 7 characters on any one shard. How would you get around that or prevent other conflicts with this?

Now, instead of "go-to-shard-of-your-choice", I would like to see a new common shard that any ONE character of an account could go, where everyone from any shard could go.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be cool if there was some kind of PVP arena. An Europe, East coast and a West Coast one. If you made it no looting and no trading, bandaids, arrows, and regs cost 10x as much and had a entry fee to the area it could be a gold sink too. Items and gold paid for ranking.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While it would be fun and opens up many possibilities, it is unlikely to happen.

Shard transfer is not a 1 second affair. You'd be stuck at the gate for up to 30 mins while all your char, backpack, bank, pet, packhorse data/contents are copied across EA's WAN to the destination server.

If people can freely hop servers whenever they want, the extra processing will allow exploiters to crash the servers.

Also the duping problem is not caused by shard transfers. They are doing this to launder the dupes. Easy shard transfer may actually increase dupes out of control.

R

RichDC

It would be cool if there was some kind of PVP arena. An Europe, East coast and a West Coast one. If you made it no looting and no trading, bandaids, arrows, and regs cost 10x as much and had a entry fee to the area it could be a gold sink too. Items and gold paid for ranking.
Now THIS is a good idea!!!

Have it say a monthly "league" with the top of each division playing a best 2 outta 3 across the different servers so that lag isnt an excuse!!! (Europe, Asian(aus) And US. Prizes could be set from gold to monthly Unique rares (a weapon, armour, clothing whatever)

I personally cant PvP on siege or that jap one because lag from uk is horrible!!

F

Fink

What, no Australasian arena? :D

I do like that idea.

Maybe an optional "world server" where ping is artificially balanced.. sluggish all round but you get the world pvp title for a week or month or whatever.

To the OP, I'm picturing a moongate with a paypal button on the gump..

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This idea is really stupid, and would be near impossible to code.. I do however agree that there should be free x-transfers on occasion from the more populated servers to the lowest populated...

M

Mythic

Agreed, THIS is an excellent idea. Ooh, how hard would it be to regulate GM only weapons in class matches

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That ability could be comically tragic for some. :) Sight for example some newer players...they see all the gates to all shards and pop thru em exploring all the shards and so they pop thru the Moonglow Trammel moongate on their shard to find they have entered SIEGE PERILOUS. :) OoOO Um no !! This would not work unless they left Siege off that moongate popping...although it could be comically fun to have an entire GANK SQUAD from say Chesapeake or some other shard all land enmasse on Siege to pk every pk there etc.

Ahem ...........I think we can *visit* any shard we wish just make chrs. there...but hopping moongates on existing chrs. to travel shard to shard could bring in MOBS to any shard....plus with the fel tram rulesets...they would have to DO SOMETHING to prevent say any pack of pks from ...coming from x shard to say trammel of y shard and just makin tons of lag or just arriving to go around swiftly slaying everyone. :)

ummm or all of those people from chessy arriving on siege to find themselves robbed blind in seconds.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ummm or all of those people from chessy arriving on siege to find themselves robbed blind in seconds.

LOL OH I had not even thought of that...folks from Chessy *where I also play* arrive on Siege *where I also play* and all of the Chessy insured items on all of em...entering the Siege portal suddenly LOOSE insurance on every item cuz there is no insurance on Siege. :)

Oh that would be hysterical... :) and yeh I do not even insure fel side on Chessie...sooooooooooo I am an oddball fel side even there...cuz I am anti insurance ...but man that would be comic as heck to exit Chessie many of em insured to the nines...walk thru Siege portal...and poof NOTHING on em is insured. :) Course I would give em all a rune to my Siege home...but Rico and them be RIGHT AT THE MOONGATE waiting for the other sharders insurance to fall off all their items as they entered SIEGE.

Oh yes we need to DO this...cross cultural exchanges it could be FUN ! HAHA

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been there done that. We had an invasion of sorts from Chessy a few years back. They had just finished one of their first champ spawns, and headed to the bank in Skara (surprise, guess who was there doing some banking?). Moments later, I had 3 120's in my pack running around being chased by the group. Good fun. That group stayed longer than most...la

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it could be fun IF they permitted it all for say some temporary event like a Halloween event, lasting briefly WITH RULES ie no house placements, no gp or items exchanged...could then even use existing chrs. provided they someway coded it so no one could *exchange* or *transfer* items gold housing etc. and let folks visit temporarily or attend events.

Normally when any shard visits another shard they have to make newbies...to do this. Yet it still can be fun could be more fun if we could actually use our existing chrs. *with rules* for some fun event like some Halloween weekend, visit other shards get to know folks attend events just have fun.

Now this picture is a cross shard event Siege visiting Chesapeake...I am two chrs. in this screenshot. I had thought to be my Queen Zen on/of Ches. whom everyone knows better in felside PaxLair...with my Siege Queen Zen but then I would only ....confuse myself. LOL So I was in this screenie Miranda of KSS SIEGE back then *as a new made ches. chr.* and the orig 1998 QZ of Chess. in PaxLair both of me at once Miranda from SIEGE made on Ches. and QZ of Chesapeake.

The Shire hosted it for the SIEGE lot and PaxLair hosted it for the Chesapeake lot... and I ended up being two chrs. in this picture alternating between myselves..which led to one of me being unattended still visable.. OOOo when this lil poisoning had happened. :)

PaxLair is in Felucca oldest player run town on Ches. and here is a memorable event and evening for us all. :) It really was fun especially for someone like me whom is sort of duo sharded anyhow to have my friends from BOTH SHARDS actually get to hang out somewhere together even for one night !!

So on some TEMPORARY basis with RULES...it could be fun for UO players to get to visit others their shards guilds so forth merely gate hopping for say a weekend *with strict rules* regarding insurances or no insurance with regards to/felucca ruleset tram rulesets/ items not exchanged transfered etc. enroute coming or going.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I think this would be a good idea. I'm not sure how many things would have to be changed to accomodate going from one shard to another but I think if anything is an issue it could be eliminated.

I would like to see 2 main lands, Felucca and Trammel made into an unchangeable world that can't be crossed into and make all the other lands so that they're connected.

So, you could have someone from Atlantic go into Illshnar and run into someone from Origin but they could only go back to their Trammel or Fel regions. These lands could be made or created so there are no banks. Guild tags could get yet another abbreviation like Alt from Atlantic and so on. There would be no housing on these created lands and no trading. This way I think it would be possible.

One of the biggest reasons I think to do something like this would be because of how much more land you could create.

If there are 10 shards that means there's 10 Illshnars. So, what exactly is the size of 10 Illshnar maps all put together? Then imagine being able to port into this land mass from any shard. That's what I like most about this idea.

I think everyone can agree that they would rather consolodate the land mass and have more to explore but still be able to keep a unique Felucca and Trammel land mass that is unique to that shard.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the poster above me :

Yes ! That sounds good and it agrees to me :hahaha:

That way, we could keep our houses on our home shard and at the same time play with ppl from other shards and MEET them somewhere else than on Stratics!!! (don't get me wrong : I like Stratics ;) but...).
Especially now that the Community is getting smaller everyday (no matter what we are being told about this subject :lick: -its true and it shows!).

As a matter of fact, character transfer tokens don't, and never will match this purpose.
And thus, you can see it's not a simple question of money lost or not lost by EA...

E

El Phantasmo

I would love to be able to move between shards via moongates. But as many have stated before me, I just don't see UO passing up on the $20 people pay.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

ROTFLMAO....Thank you Queen Zen I just had a mental picture of L-D Guild from Legends (my shard) who are consider the worst pvps on Legends doing what you described...I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face!!

What's even funnier is the fact that L-D is alot like a Chihuahua they THINK they're bigger and badder than they really are, LOL.