• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crimson/Platinum Drake building thread

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Bonded one of each of the Elemental Crimson/Platinum Drake's and now im sitting here looking at them and wondering how to skin this cat.

My plan was to crank up one of each flavor to a 5 slot monster and keep them in the stable and use them as i would use my 100% swords.
when i go to fight undead, take the 100% fire one.
when i go to fight reptiles, take out the 100% cold one.
and so forth.

so im wondering what people have done with theirs and what success of failures they have seen.

i was thinking the normal max out resists and HP/dex/man.
so its more so for the magical and special moves im asking.
im thinking for the:

Fire Drake - angry fire or Inferno

Poison Drake - poison breathe or essence of disease.

Energy Drake - aura of energy or explosive goo

Cold Drake - Cold wind

and with that area effect maybe AI?

any ideas from the other tamers out there?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
now, when giving out points into resits would a person short the resistances in the same element as the drake is hitting in?

so a Poison Drake you leave its poison resist at 45 and put all the others up high?
same for Cold Drake, just leave cold at 45 and rest high, ect ect ect???

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
when i put piercing on it takes off Cold Wind?

is that right?
because its not showing in the "lore and knowledge" section

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
copied over to TC1 with the 4 Drakes.
went and cranked them all up to 5 slots.

havnt taken them out yet, but i did mess up a little when doing 2 of them, so ill probably have to go retame or delete character and do it again tomorrow.

here is what i did.
i kinda used the same principle for all 4 (well, 3, after the first the light bulb went off)

for all of them the stat page is the same.
1000 Hit Points
150 Stamina
450 Mana
600 STR
150 DEX
600 INT
all 4 i bumped the Base Damage up to max (22)

the resists i did like i said i was going to do above, whatever elemental they are i left that resistance at 45 and put all the others at 80.

for regen's i went heavy into MR with 30 and i left the SR till last and put whatever extra points i had left over into SR - one was 20, another 15, one was 21 and the last was 6.

as for the extra's i did a little mixing and matching and had a couple mistakes, but im gonna try these combo's first and tweak from there.

Fire Drake - they come with Dragon Breath so i left that on, added Explosive Goo (area effect) and AI
Cold Drake - Pierce (AI/Bleed/Paralyze) and Cold Wind (i fear the Pierce killed off the Cold Wind, i will see when i get it out into the field)
Nox Drake - Pierce (AI/Bleed/Paralyze) and Poison Breath
Energy Drake - again left the Dragon Breath and added Aura of Energy (area effect)

what i did wrong -
1) Energy Drake - i forgot to add Slash or Pierce to the
2) Fire Drake - again i should have gone with Slash or Pierce instead of AI only
3) Poison Drake - all good
4) i fear the Pierce killed off the Cold Wind special, so maybe next time ill go with Cold Wind, then add just AI manually and maybe a area effect????

ill try to get them out tomorrow and play with them a bit and report back.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
really @Fridgster he gets a 'like' by saying he likes what im doing but i dont get a like for actually doing it?
really?
like really really???
(or as my teenage daughter would say - "like, are you serial right now?")
((apparently serial is short for serious..... i think.....))

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
really @Fridgster he gets a 'like' by saying he likes what im doing but i dont get a like for actually doing it?
really?
like really really???

I would see if you can get by with 800 - 900 life and put str at max... unless 600 is max for them. I just got a taming mastery 3. Consume damage feels like cheating. I may drop HP to 750 on my pets.

Pierce is in the magic category so it will knock off something if there are too many.

I don't know their choses yet. But for each damage, put a effect that reduces the targets resist. If that's available.

Meditation 120s really regen the mana since you are just using specials you might be able to stop at 20 mana regen.

Mine don't bond till Monday so keep the thread updated.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My plan was to crank up one of each flavor to a 5 slot monster and keep them in the stable and use them as i would use my 100% swords.
when i go to fight undead, take the 100% fire one.
when i go to fight reptiles, take out the 100% cold one.
and so forth.
I had the same idea and actually went and tamed all of them except for the energy one, because it's a PIA.
And then when I started planning I realized that for 100% fire, the fire beetle is a better alternative. It has Rune Corruption and is rideable (it's so liberating not having to drag the GD with me lol). For !00% phys, the giant beetle is better for the same reasons. For cold go with the ice mite. It's not rideable, but rune corruption is still outweighs other options IMO.
That pretty much leaves the poison and energy ones since I am not aware of any other pets that do 100% poison or energy damage.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I had the same idea and actually went and tamed all of them except for the energy one, because it's a PIA.
And then when I started planning I realized that for 100% fire, the fire beetle is a better alternative. It has Rune Corruption and is rideable (it's so liberating not having to drag the GD with me lol). For !00% phys, the giant beetle is better for the same reasons. For cold go with the ice mite. It's not rideable, but rune corruption is still outweighs other options IMO.
That pretty much leaves the poison and energy ones since I am not aware of any other pets that do 100% poison or energy damage.
Rune Beetle does 70% Energy

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
we had just finished the Shadowguard and my guild mates where heading to bed, so for fun i went and snagged a Frost Mite and took it out.
leveled it up 2 times and added a bunch of stuff too it.
just put it in the stable to bond for a week.

1000 HP
150 stam
450 mana

505 str
150 dex
536 int

20 SR
30 MR

max hit damage (22)

resists are 80/80/88/55/62

for Lore and Knowledge he has:
Poisoning (i really like poisoning)
Rune Corruption
Cold Wind

do we know if the cold wind actually works?
when i had him up going leveling up twice for that hour i didnt see it go off.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Indeed, interesting thread Poo! Haven't got round to test ourselves yet (for serious lack of time), but from the theory we understood that the masteries like Slashing and Piercing and such are "too powerful" by themselves so they cancel out all other specials? So we wonder, doesn't it harm poison breath as well as cold wind? (This is from purely reading the wiki.)

whatever elemental they are i left that resistance at 45
And we wondered, the Fire version did you indeed leave it's Fire resists at 45?! That would seem unwise since for example if you fight undead all the casters will have a blast hammering it with fire spells?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
really?
like really really???

hehe made up for it :)

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did you scroll any of the drakes ??
... still waiting for mine to bond :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rune Beetle does 70% Energy
Yes, not a 100% :)
we had just finished the Shadowguard and my guild mates where heading to bed, so for fun i went and snagged a Frost Mite and took it out.
leveled it up 2 times and added a bunch of stuff too it.
just put it in the stable to bond for a week.

1000 HP
150 stam
450 mana

505 str
150 dex
536 int

20 SR
30 MR

max hit damage (22)

resists are 80/80/88/55/62

for Lore and Knowledge he has:
Poisoning (i really like poisoning)
Rune Corruption
Cold Wind

do we know if the cold wind actually works?
when i had him up going leveling up twice for that hour i didnt see it go off.
I think that 1000HP may be excessive unless you had nothing else o spend it on. At least I think those highly weighted points may be more useful elsewhere. I have a Tsuki wolf with 500 that tanks a champ spawn quite well (at least until the mana run out) on 500HP.
I also noticed something interesting. Ice mites' resists are gimped by their insane cold resists. So I was looking for an ice mite with a cold 85 and poison 50 in order to have phys, fire and energy as high as possible. Eventually I found one that was 86 and 52. And apparently it was so crappy that it's at 2 slots. I just tamed it last night, so have a week to go before bonding. I am very curious how it will turn out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
He said Giant Beetle. Its the new "pet of the day".

What are you fighting that you don't have to bond your pet?
my guess is the Crazed.... does little to no damage one can vet a pet fine... only problem comes when some jealous jerko comes along and drags over a couple unbound... which I've seen happen 2x on GLs... they don't want anyone using it when they want it.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my guess is the Crazed.... does little to no damage one can vet a pet fine... only problem comes when some jealous jerko comes along and drags over a couple unbound... which I've seen happen 2x on GLs... they don't want anyone using it when they want it.
fel side for the win!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
He said Giant Beetle. Its the new "pet of the day".

What are you fighting that you don't have to bond your pet?
well it dosnt work EVERY time, sometimes my pet will die.
(not often, im pretty awesome!)
i have gotten a pattern down, i can cycle a 3 slot pet up to 5 from new tame in about 50 minutes from tame to all done (2 bumps)
i went onto every North American shard (yes, siege too!) and picked up a new Cu for my tamer then did my run with them.
once you get the pattern down its easy peasy.
course i play late at night so i dont see many people so no one to tick me off.
i did however get yelled at when some fella came in with 2 tamers when i was on a UEV and i told him right when he got there i only had about a minute or 2 left to train then i was done and out.
i guess he didnt hear me.
i told him again twice when i was done, no reply from either tamer.
i left.
in general chat a couple minutes later fella was spitting nails out over his tamers and pets dieing.
im not gonna say i didn't smile.... but some upturned mastication muscles may have been in play on my part.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
did you scroll any of the drakes ??
... still waiting for mine to bond :)
i have only scrolled up one pet out of the 30 or so ive done.
im kinda leaning towards having higher stats then being scrolled up, that and scrolls have gone through the roof!
18 mill for a 120 wrestling IF you can find one, hell i remember just a couple months ago you could drop a 120 wrestle at the luna bank and no one would even cross the floor to spit on it.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Indeed, interesting thread Poo! Haven't got round to test ourselves yet (for serious lack of time), but from the theory we understood that the masteries like Slashing and Piercing and such are "too powerful" by themselves so they cancel out all other specials? So we wonder, doesn't it harm poison breath as well as cold wind? (This is from purely reading the wiki.)

And we wondered, the Fire version did you indeed leave it's Fire resists at 45?! That would seem unwise since for example if you fight undead all the casters will have a blast hammering it with fire spells?
well i havnt committed to it yet, i just did them all up on TC to make sure the builds where gonna work first.
and yes, i can see your right with the low fire on the undead kill'r.
good point.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
good feedback people, like what im seeing here.
so i think we can all agree that adding a 'special' to the drakes that will assist with their 100% elemental hits will help, yes.

so adding the big group of slashing and pierce is out, so what should i add?

im thinking 1 area effect (again with the elemental damage to match the drake) and a special that will do direct damage in the same elemental area (if i can find one) and maybe..... AI or Bleed????

hmm, I've toyed around the idea of making a fire/inferno drake but found they all come with dragon breath already. Are you able to take that off?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have to laugh at myself as I was rather disappointed in my Fire Drake training and was just thinking cripes I hope he gets better when I get him fully trained... he rather sucks for a 5 slot dragon... Then it occurred to me that I was sitting on my ethy and he has an ENTIRE other path to raise up!!! Now I can give him more health and such can't wait!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i did the same last night, was on my ethy and thought.... well this one is done, 5 slots!
then i got off my ethy.
vowed never to tell anyone.
but since we are sharing....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i did the same last night, was on my ethy and thought.... well this one is done, 5 slots!
then i got off my ethy.
vowed never to tell anyone.
but since we are sharing....
Thanks, Poo...

Now I don't feel so silly.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my first attempt at a trained pet under the new system. Currently, 4 slot Energy Drake.

75 Physical, 75 Fire, 75 Cold, 65 Poison, 75 Energy Resist
500 STR
150 Dec
131 Int
400 hp
150 St
1000 Mana

Scrolled:
120 Wrestling, 120 Tactics, 120 Anatomy, 120 Resist, 120 Parry and 120 Mysticism.

20 HPR

For the final bump I was going to increase hp, and STR. Then add the wrestling mastery as well as disarm and paralyze. Scroll Focus to 120. Final base damage increase and 30 MR. If anything is left add it to SR.

Or is there a better use of training points?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Adding the wrestling mastery counts as a magical ability, iirc, so that will remove myst from your pet if you do.
I would check that on TC before committing to it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have only scrolled up one pet out of the 30 or so ive done.
im kinda leaning towards having higher stats then being scrolled up, that and scrolls have gone through the roof!
18 mill for a 120 wrestling IF you can find one, hell i remember just a couple months ago you could drop a 120 wrestle at the luna bank and no one would even cross the floor to spit on it.
I have done a lot of testing scrolled up pets side by side against unscrolled pets designed basically the same. The difference is marginal in PvM. I have came to the conclusion that the points spent on a basic 120 wrestle/Tact/Anat are better spent in HP/HPR/SR/MR or in bumping the mana pool up. Now I do find great value in adding 120 Parry/Spell Weaving/Disco/ Bushido/Chiv in the related to those things. And 120 necro and SS in a Tsuki Wolf or Ossein Ram is very much worthwhile IMO. The scrolls are nice but you can make damn fine pets without them, that are more than capable of getting the job done.

Reactions: Poo

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have done a lot of testing scrolled up pets side by side against unscrolled pets designed basically the same. The difference is marginal in PvM. I have came to the conclusion that the points spent on a basic 120 wrestle/Tact/Anat are better spent in HP/HPR/SR/MR or in bumping the mana pool up. Now I do find great value in adding 120 Parry/Spell Weaving/Disco/ Bushido/Chiv in the related to those things. And 120 necro and SS in a Tsuki Wolf or Ossein Ram is very much worthwhile IMO. The scrolls are nice but you can make damn fine pets without them, that are more than capable of getting the job done.
excellent, thats kinda what i had been assuming going forward because i havnt noticed much difference between the pets i have scrolled up and the pets i havnt.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Drakes Bonded a couple days ago (has it been a week ago already?)
i got side tracked with training up pretty much everything else but the drakes to be honest.
when i went to run the first drake through the leveling up process i found to my dismay they do not gain the same as pretty much every other pet i had been doing, so the nice little pattern i had of leveling up pets was not gonna work, so i went out and was experimenting and got bored and moved on.
no all my other pets are done so im back to the drakes once more!
last night since my drakes have not been leveled i decided to take advantage of that and take them out 2 at a time and go train them up on a Shadow Elemental.
so all 4 are not GMed in Wrestle/tactics/anat/med/focus.

now i just need to figure out the best way to level them up and im back in action with them.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For them, I had found that wind elementals in shame work pretty good to bring them from 2 to 3 slots.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crazed mage took mine all the way. I cant separate the other stuff there. The fire mage is a GD in a robe...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Crazed mage took mine all the way. I cant separate the other stuff there. The fire mage is a GD in a robe...
The Fire Mage has a VERY nasty area of effect fire that makes it rough I prefer to steer clear of him.

jrok512

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
copied over to TC1 with the 4 Drakes.
went and cranked them all up to 5 slots.

havnt taken them out yet, but i did mess up a little when doing 2 of them, so ill probably have to go retame or delete character and do it again tomorrow.

here is what i did.
i kinda used the same principle for all 4 (well, 3, after the first the light bulb went off)

for all of them the stat page is the same.
1000 Hit Points
150 Stamina
450 Mana
600 STR
150 DEX
600 INT
all 4 i bumped the Base Damage up to max (22)

the resists i did like i said i was going to do above, whatever elemental they are i left that resistance at 45 and put all the others at 80.

for regen's i went heavy into MR with 30 and i left the SR till last and put whatever extra points i had left over into SR - one was 20, another 15, one was 21 and the last was 6.

as for the extra's i did a little mixing and matching and had a couple mistakes, but im gonna try these combo's first and tweak from there.

Fire Drake - they come with Dragon Breath so i left that on, added Explosive Goo (area effect) and AI
Cold Drake - Pierce (AI/Bleed/Paralyze) and Cold Wind (i fear the Pierce killed off the Cold Wind, i will see when i get it out into the field)
Nox Drake - Pierce (AI/Bleed/Paralyze) and Poison Breath
Energy Drake - again left the Dragon Breath and added Aura of Energy (area effect)

what i did wrong -
1) Energy Drake - i forgot to add Slash or Pierce to the
2) Fire Drake - again i should have gone with Slash or Pierce instead of AI only
3) Poison Drake - all good
4) i fear the Pierce killed off the Cold Wind special, so maybe next time ill go with Cold Wind, then add just AI manually and maybe a area effect????

ill try to get them out tomorrow and play with them a bit and report back.
Did the pierce kill off the cold wind?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Did the pierce kill off the cold wind?
as far as i can tell Cold Wind does not work.
cause i have a couple other pets that have it and ive never...... ever..... EVER seen it go off.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Do you run consume damage often?

HCI and DCI are major factors in offense and defense as opposed to matching an enemies wrestling exactly. Example being 100 wrestling 45 HCI vs the usual 120-125 wrestle enemy would be almost as fine as having 120 but 100 wrestling and no buffed HCI wouldn't be fine. Basically staying within a 30 range of enemy wrestling and then having buffed HCI/DCI is the priority but for someone who doesn't run Animal Taming masteries (ie no consume damage buffed HCI) I would have to recommend wrestling to the max.

You know this actually makes me think twice now about Animal Taming mastery being a joke in next publish because HCI is very important AND ofc you could save 200 wrestling points if you wish.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Poo
I'm necro'ing this thread to see if you or anyone else had perfected this build

Returning to the game after several months and wanted to finish my Platinum Drake 100% Fire buildout...

Thanks in advance for any templates you could share.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Poo
I'm necro'ing this thread to see if you or anyone else had perfected this build

Returning to the game after several months and wanted to finish my Platinum Drake 100% Fire buildout...

Thanks in advance for any templates you could share.
hey there.
what i found is that there are other critters that worked better for the 100% damage that i wanted.
i did make up all 4 drakes and used them for a while but i found that the Fire Beetle worked better for me instead of the fire Drake because i could ride him around and also because i put armor corruption on him.
as for the cold i went with a Frost Mite, again because of the armor corruption.
i did go with a Poison Drake but honestly have not used him much, but i do have him there in case i need him.
and of course i went with the Energy Drake but, again, like above i use my Cu's more even though they only hit 50% energy but i really like to be able to ride around.