• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crimson Dragon looting rights issue (possible spoiler info inside)

P

Pom Pom

I am ready for it, so flame away if you must, but I do feel this is an issue. (mind you, I didn't go to test so I wasn't aware of it.) My apologies if this has been addressed already.

After fighting the Crimson Dragon with what seems like an army of people, the loot is public for everyone to obtain. I was wondering why this is. It hardly seems fair for those who don't loot quite as fast. I also know of many who died repeatedly doing the dragon and then walked away with nothing to show for it. They were not really inclined to do it again as it was quite difficult, time consuming and costly insurance wise. I also do realize that gold drops everywhere on the ground, but with the sending bag issues, there's really not that much you can carry and really doesn't cover costs in some cases.

I know that I am not alone in my feelings about this, most of the people who I was hunting with were very disappointed. However say what you must, I was just hoping a Dev maybe could explain the reasoning behind this.

J

Jorgius

Yeah thats just insane. I hope it's a bug otherwise I will no longer hunt crimsons. Lets not forget that someone could be tempted to script something... to have fast and good loot.

I really hope this was not intended.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what happened during "The Six" and plenty of people complained...

I'm just going to sit hidden in the sidelines. Watch the battle and wait for the Dragon to die then go grab my share of the loot for doing absolutely nothing. No point in trying to put myself in harms way or help contribute when I get the same amount of loot for doing absolutely nothing.

Maybe when it's redlined I'll fire my bow at the Dragon so I can claim to be the one that felled the beast.

On a more serious note I agree it's total BS.

There were multiple times when I was fighting one of the 'six' for 30+ minutes with one other person only to watch hoardes of people flood once it got down to 1/10 life. And you can guess what happened...

Don't understand it. No two ways about it... it's FUBAR.

R

rajadeah

This is pure BS and wheres the logic behind this public loot free for all? The scripters will have a field day with this. I'm sure they have scripts that will loot it before you can even open the corpse. This has to be fixed no if ands buts or whats.

J

J0KING

Sorry for those who may disagree with me but... since we have a system where the "special" loot can drop in a backpack, lets use it...

Other than that... Have Fun!!!

A

Anon McDougle

What about the "good ol days" where all loot was like this and PK's could kill you any way and take your stuff i just dont get the UO crowd more of this less of that just never happy. In another post some one whinned about the new items being crap and no new content then said oh i do like the deco i just dont get it

P

Pom Pom

Everyone I have talked to in-game is not happy about this at all. Unfortunately, most, if not all of them, do not read stratics. Was hoping that they would fix it and if not, at the very least, explain why they feel the need to make it like this. Not only is it not worth even killing, it will be, if not already, a scriptors paradise. Real shame.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could be argued that under usual looting systems, only the strongest players will be getting anything of value. The rich get richer, so to speak - Newbies best not attend.

But let's face it, it just isn't fun hammering away at something for an age only to watch the seagulls swoop before you realise it's even gone down. I fought two members of the Six (well really I think I did the same one twice), but gave up after that 'cause I saw that the only way I was gonna get any loot was to come back with my stealther. So I just didn't bother coming back...

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That does suck. With my connection, I will never get a shot at looting on Atlantic heh.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Big time bad.

I've killed two dragons yesterday and have literally nothing to show for it.

It was still a fun fight, and I do wish to protect our cities. But outside of silly things like having fun and playing my role in Sosaria, there isn't any reason to fight them any more.

Besides, a great many people in our guild have sworn off public corpses.

D

dielock

It certainly is BS. I died 4 times to that crazy (but beautiful) beast. It took us 30 mins. to kill it. The insurance cost to me was $32,000 and I walked away with 320 gold.

D

D'Amavir

Anyone saying free for all looting is better than instance looting is probably the same people that use looting scripts and just walk up to the corpse and have all the good stuff moved to their packs for them.

The best thing about the last quest (besides the fact that it gave those of us without tons of junk saved up to turn for the rewards) was the fact that you could loot things from the corpse without having to worry about someone with a faster connection, faster fingers or a faster script swiping all the good stuff before you even got the corpse open.

Why this wasn't included with the crimsons I have no clue, but I do know that I won't be hunting them as long as its like that. But, thats just me. I am sure that the UHall Attack Squad will just pop up with insulting comments about how I deserve to lose any loot I could get and then call in their buddies to get my posts censored per the norm. I guess it pays to have friends with 'power'. Or what passes for power in places like this at least. heh

:popcorn:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can not personally confirm this, but I did hear from a fellow hunter yesterday that they received a crimson cincture in their back pack as reward for killing the Crimson Dragon, which would, by namesake anyway, make sense.

So, for those of you prepared to throw in the towel on this portion of the event allow me to chide you in a friendly way and say you might be making your judgments a tad hastily.

I also would prefer the instanced corpse, but I don't think I'll let that small thing stand in my way of enjoying what for me is a very engaging event otherwise.

K

Kula

Oh great, I guess it's time to sell my crimmy before they flood the market with them.

D

D'Amavir

Oh great, I guess it's time to sell my crimmy before they flood the market with them.
Yes. If you have a crimson for the sole purpose of selling it, then sell it by all means. If you are, however, in possession of a crimson because of the awesome stats that are on it, well, sell it anyway. I will offer you one gold for it. 1. I would go lower but I can't seem to get the gold piece to break down to anything smaller.

:thumbup1:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can get a crimmy from factions rewards too. So in that respect, for pvpers its probably already past the peak.

I have fought five Crimson Dragons so far and received no drop, so its not like the market is about to get flooded in that respect.

Anybody have a good idea how many Crimson Dragons are spawning per shard per day? Devs?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fought 1 stranger and saw the loot drop on the ground. Got nothing.
Ill fight 0 Crimson Dragon as I dont script or loot fast. Its funt to get some items after the fight even if its nothing great... As it is now I just get annoyed ower the cheating and its not worth that:sad3:

D

D'Amavir

I fought 1 stranger and saw the loot drop on the ground. Got nothing.
Ill fight 0 Crimson Dragon as I dont script or loot fast. Its funt to get some items after the fight even if its nothing great... As it is now I just get annoyed ower the cheating and its not worth that:sad3:
I agree. Its not about the 'stuff'. Its more about the principle of the thing. The fact that the devs even made a mob that they know people will flock to using an antiquated loot system says a lot about their mindset. The only thing worse would be to have all their loot just fall on the ground whenever they die. Wait. Nevermind.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am ready for it, so flame away if you must, but I do feel this is an issue. (mind you, I didn't go to test so I wasn't aware of it.) My apologies if this has been addressed already.

After fighting the Crimson Dragon with what seems like an army of people, the loot is public for everyone to obtain. I was wondering why this is. It hardly seems fair for those who don't loot quite as fast. I also know of many who died repeatedly doing the dragon and then walked away with nothing to show for it. They were not really inclined to do it again as it was quite difficult, time consuming and costly insurance wise. I also do realize that gold drops everywhere on the ground, but with the sending bag issues, there's really not that much you can carry and really doesn't cover costs in some cases.

I know that I am not alone in my feelings about this, most of the people who I was hunting with were very disappointed. However say what you must, I was just hoping a Dev maybe could explain the reasoning behind this.
There is definitely something wrong with the instanced corpses for these guys, and we're fixing it now.

These aren't like the "common loot" from The Six, they should have instanced loot.

R

RavenWinterHawk

There is definitely something wrong with the instanced corpses for these guys, and we're fixing it now.

These aren't like the "common loot" from The Six, they should have instanced loot.
Thanks Drac

Cause...
Scriptors with tags for the good stuff are already there.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that the devs even made a mob that they know people will flock to using an antiquated loot system says a lot about their mindset.
Or maybe it is a bug?
The fact that the Devs take the time to think up new things and write new code says a lot about their mindset.

I'm with Tomas on this one... it's computer software... a recent change has been implemented... let's not get our panties all in a bunch till the Dev's have had a chance to work things out.

I see Draconi has already replied so as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting my money's worth.

Safe Travel's, Sam

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it doesn't follow the normal looting rights?
The irony is that we wrote a specific version for not having instanced loot for The Six, but dragon incarnate versions were supposed to have instanced loot.

It turned out to not even be related to the stuff we changed for The Six, and was occurring when we were doing all the special effects when the Crimson dies - the corpse was being manipulated in a way that collapsed all the instances into a single object again.

So! Long story short: we fixed the death scene to make the corpse drop properly with instanced loot. It'll be out soon!

Hunter Moon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOOT for the fix! I haven't fought one yet, but a big group of my guild went there last night to check it out and I was laughing at these pvpers going "Ohhh that is the coolest dragon, I wish we could tame those... " You guys did a KILLER job on them (I have seen the pics and drooled my butt off) and I am sooo happy with all the content you put in. There is more stuff to do then I can accomplish in a month!!!

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The irony is that we wrote a specific version for not having instanced loot for The Six, but dragon incarnate versions were supposed to have instanced loot.

It turned out to not even be related to the stuff we changed for The Six, and was occurring when we were doing all the special effects when the Crimson dies - the corpse was being manipulated in a way that collapsed all the instances into a single object again.

So! Long story short: we fixed the death scene to make the corpse drop properly with instanced loot. It'll be out soon!

Thank you (I'm a crappy looter!! always have been) for working on this and for the insight into how things work in this game.

-Galen's player

D

Deb

I may missed it, but whoever did that Crimson did one hell of a job..it is
definitely the prettiest thing in game.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Who da man?!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may missed it, but whoever did that Crimson did one hell of a job..it is
definitely the prettiest thing in game.
Yes, and I JUST got my mounted Dragon Head. Now its already pathetic looking on the wall.

WAAAAAAA!:sad2:

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...So! Long story short: we fixed the death scene to make the corpse drop properly...
So the Crim's no longer stagger around with their paws over their heart reciting Shakespeare?

So farewell—to the little good you bear me.
Farewell? a long farewell to all my greatness!
This is the state of man: to-day he puts forth
The tender leaves of hopes, to-morrow blossoms,
And bears his blushing honors thick upon him;
The third day comes a frost, a killing frost,
And when he thinks, good easy man, full surely
His greatness is a-ripening, nips his root,
And then he falls as I do.

*Crim falls over, loot spills out...*

S

Seismic

Dumb question: where is the Crimson Dragon?? or where "are they" ??

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crimson Dragons are the "Boss" spawn at the end of an invasion cycle in one of the eight faction cities in Trammel. It will spawn in the town somewhere, usually close by the corresponding sigil pillar in that town in Fel. Invasions occur only in Tram.

D

D'Amavir

Or maybe it is a bug?
A bug? Really? After all that time it spent being tested on Origin? Maybe they should add a server that's just used for testing or something silly like that. Nah, that would be silly huh?

I guess since they are getting rid of TC and Origin anyway, it will just keep being up to us to find the bugs for them.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess since they are getting rid of TC and Origin anyway, it will just keep being up to us to find the bugs for them.
Is there a source for this info? Certainly is the first I've heard of that.

P

Pom Pom

I just want to say thank you very very much Draconi for not only fixing this, but for taking the time to respond in this thread. :)