• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature art

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another sticky, to try to make life easier for our devs.

Some creatures we feel are too small, some are too big. List them here. I'll start the list.

Drakes = too small, while they should be smaller than dragons, they should also be bigger than a horse.

Fire beetles = too big, can they be the same size as the giant beetle please?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Snakes = size of worms.
Giant Serpents = size of Snakes.
Solen Ants = great but can you make sure the right colour spawns in the right area ;)
Alligators = silver/white ?
All Birds = size of a fly (cant see even when zoomed in)
Bog Thing = Vanishes as soon as dead (no corpse)
Timber Wolf = silver/white? Colour clue is in the name ;)
Black solen Infiltrators = About 4X the size of a human (bit large for a non-boss mob?)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ancient Wyvern = Smaller the Wyverns? Bigger would be more imposing.
Dire Wolf = silver/white? Is this the default colour or something? :)
Crystal Elemental = 2D graphic still (he on your naughty list?)

W

wee papa smurf

Maybe it would be a good idea to have Greater Dragons looking a bit more beefy than normal dragons? they both look the exact same right now.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The one creature i have a real issue with right now is the Krakken.

It looked like a wyvrn with no wings.
Please keep this creature as a giant squid!!!!

this is a kraken!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Horses - too short. The rider's toes should not be dragging on the ground while riding.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Solen Workers feel a bit too large.. the size disparity between them and other solen was nice in 2D. Also (though not a size issue), Solen Warrior and Solen Queen sprites seem to be swapped (or at least im guessing so, seeing as the Solen Matriarch is using the same sprites as the Warriors, and the queens look like they're getting ready for battle with mad spikes all over em). This was all red solens.. not sure if black ones are the same.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Greater dragons = should be bigger than horses, scarier than swamp dragons

Cus = should be bigger than dogs or bakes

Rune beetles = should be black with blue runes, not white w/ big, red lobster claws

C

Cloak&Dagger

Greater dragons = should be bigger than horses, scarier than swamp dragons

Cus = should be bigger than dogs or bakes

Rune beetles = should be black with blue runes, not white w/ big, red lobster claws
This one, once again, deserves a repeat.

B

BadManiac

They should also be slightly larger.

Drakes and all dragon kin need to be seriously tweaked, drakes are so small now. How did it ever get out of concept sketch in it's current form?

And, BROWN drakes and Dragons, PLEASE!

H

Heartseeker

Many of the creatures need improvement.

The scaling of Drakes and Dragons needs a look at.

Ancient Wyrms and to tiny too.

I would like to see more colors on certain creatues, because they look bland.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dead mobs in Shimmering Effusion look exactly like the live ones, i.e corporal blume and the like, can be very confusing

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Copied from my post in UHall:

Right, because memories aren't perfect, just for horses and beetles, I did some screenies in Legacy, SA and KR for comparisons. I tried to scale all apprx to the same size by using the tiles as markers.

You can see from the screenshots that they did improve on the horse's bent forelegs and rider positions on both horse and beetle. Beetle has also been scaled down. And look at how beautifully the beetle is rendered!

Now, to point out what problems still remains with these 2 mounts in SA (to be fair, the devs have lots of mobs to render, not just these 2. However, the problem is horses and beetles are very common pets...):

Horse:
1) Manes don't remain nicely brushed all the time, I understand that, but the empty patch makes it look like it has an ugly bald patch. Note : The horses with short manes don't have this problem.

2) Chest narrows towards the shoulder, making it too skinny when you compare it to the hip

3) Back arch/rump is gone, it now looks as if the horse has a perfectly straight or even haunched back

4) Hooves protrude overly much making them seem too large, so large that they look like feet (hooves are actually the toes/toenails of horses).

5) Eyelids look swollen and droopping, horse looks like it's sleepy

6) Biggest problem, although the rider's legs don't touch the ground anymore, they still extend too far down. If you consider saddled horses, the stirrups where riders place their feet do not extend past the underbelly. Rider's legs are too straight, they should be spread outwards more when straddling a wide-bodied horse. Rider's sitting position also doesn't seem to be on top of the horse's back.

Beetle:
1) You see the head, an almost non-existant thorax, and the abdomen (where the wing cases are). Meaning you are left only 1 place to sit - on the head of the beetle if they don't want to block the wing case. I am guessing they don't want to block the wing case coz they made a really cool idle animation for the beetle opening it's wing cases a little and buzzing its wings

2) Again, it's a wide bodied mount, rider's legs are too straight. Notice how much more the legs are bent in the legacy client

I know it's a bit of nitpicking, but I'm trying just to explain what people instinctively know is wrong, but just can't pinpoint it, resulting in generic "the graphics is terrible" comments.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't 3D used to handle beetle riding by having your character sort of kneeling on its back? I always thought that way looked best.

F

Fink

Didn't 3D used to handle beetle riding by having your character sort of kneeling on its back? I always thought that way looked best.
Knees were together and lower legs were splayed. From the rider's eye view the legs formed a T shape, with feet off to the sides.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The picture below is about two weeks old, so I think the graphics in it are still current. It compares the sizes of the various reptiles found in the older parts of Britannia. I tried to take all the screen shots at the same zoom level so you could see how they compare to the size of a human character. I'll try to log on later today and see if anything's changed with regard to the sizes of anything shown in these screenshots.

The drakes do seem a bit puny, but I'm thankful they are finally smaller than the dragons. It was very confusing to see drakes that looked the same as greater dragons and dragons. I wish that the dragons and greater dragons had various hues again. Ancient wyrms should be a bit bigger.

B

BadManiac

Reptalons are a bit too large, and the riding position is completely wrong. legs sticking through wings and other oddities. Plus they don't flap their wings while running like they do in the "legacy" client.

F

Fink

These are old gripes since KR but since we're talking creature art..

Skittering Hoppers look like locusts, they should be bone-bunnies. Somehow they went from digitigrade quadrupeds to bugs. Perhaps they seized on the word "hopper" and thought "grass hopper".

Speaking of legs, the lore around UO:LBR says that swamp dragons have 6 legs.

G

guum

Balrons look pretty sad...too small and too blue.

Also, succubi look neon blue on my screen.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Wisps and shadow wisps look identical.

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel that EV in the UO SA client are too big. It seems to be more difficult to target something attacked by an EV than in the legacy client.

L

Lord Patapon

Serado the champ is really small too, compared to what it looks like in 2D.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the course of taking piccies for hunter's guide I've found that:

Rai Ju and Kase Kemono are both purple llamas atm
air eles are ethereal llamas
exodus minions, exodus overseers and blackthorn betrayers have the same graphic.
While I can stand shoulder to shoulder with a savage shaman or female warrior (provided I'm stealthed) the poor male savage warrior only comes to my waist.

On the plus side, I like the graphic for the balron, and I adore the idle animation for the efreet.

On the whole the scaling of quite a few things needs a bit of looking at. Llamas are enormous for example.

C

Calyndrell

Please tell me the Charger of the Fallen no longer looks like its a toddlers playmobile horse? IMO it looks awesome in 2d (not seen it in SA but kr was FUGLY)

D

DarkVoid

Ogre needs a total rework on the clothing, current ogres have a rather disgusting look from the back in UO:SA client. I'm not going to post a pic, I'd have to "censor" it anyway.

I always thought monsters were supposed to assualt our characters physically, not visually.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
^ Who let the bot in?

F

Fink

Ostards in general look as if they're made from noodles.. there's no muscle definition, proportioning, or bone structure.

They're also too dark & most colours simply resemble near-black.

Frenzied ostards don't look any more fierce than the forest/desert variety, and have lost their signature spined/armoured appearance and "bandit" eye mask.

Desert ostard looks okay due to the (laterally) striped skin.. a little different from the longitudinally striped originals but you can at least tell what it is at a glance.

Related note even though it's not strictly an art issue: riding position is too low and too far back, like riding a dromedary seated behind the hump. Rider should be slightly ahead of the hips of the ostard (if it had any, see point one).

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swoop and Eagles don't have a flying animation anymore :(.

Shadow wisp corpses look exactly the same as the living ones (makes it really hard to loot). I imagine this is the same for all wisps.

Swoop corpse looks exactly like the living one. I imagine this is the same for all "eagle/phoenix" creatures.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
last time i checked, evil mages were like 10ft tall. maybe cut em down to size.

wyverns are now huge but i like it. i say buff them to match the new size.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Renowned Pixie (and i'm guessing Silvani as well, as they should be using the same sprite) is the same size as a normal pixie. I think the 2D version where she's 2 or 3 times larger is better.

F

Fink

I must say zombies look good, having played with the costume.

They crawl out of the ground when they spawn, and the way they run is hilarious, like they're trying not to lose their head. The idle and war animations are great, too. I just wish more of the new creatures looked as good, I'm loathe to choose certain costumes because of the EC appearance.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ethereal Warrior looks cool on EC with the costume. I like when going into war mode, they jump into flight, cast some divine aura and a sword appears in their hands. When casting, they have a unique animation. This costume is very exciting.

Now, if they would add this "look" to a legendary chivalry user, then that would be an alluring goal.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
One thing that really throws of my sense of perspective is the size of my character. He is so big that he tends to dwarf other creatures - especially mounts.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cyclop's and titans are slightly bigger then mongbats, how can ya take it seriously? lmfao

F

Fat Lip

This does not have to do size, but instead, artwork. All of the members of the Lich family... Don't look undead... at all.

I would suggest removing a sleeve or both of the sleeves from their robes, and giving them bone arms with rotted meat attached. Also, remove their boots, rip up the bottems of their robes and have boney feet as well. Maybie unhood them, and give them a skeletal head.

H

HongKongCavalier

This does not have to do size, but instead, artwork. All of the members of the Lich family... Don't look undead... at all.
I could never put my finger on it before, but you just nailed it: It doesn't look undead.

Actually, does anyone think the new Lich look is in anyway an improvement over the orginal model? The tattered robe and the walking animation with the staff was so much better than the finely tailored robe and silly animation we have now.

Still, it's not really bad artwork in my opinion. They just should have used this model for a different or new creature and not use it for the Lich.

F

Fink

I get the impression that the lich was some generic evil mage design that just got used as a placeholder. I like the balding, long-haired, and tattered original look.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
swamp dragon animation need work. it appears to be a 4 frame gif currently

generelly id much prefer if the general guideline for creating EC creatures was inspired a whole lot more on the Classic client ones, this would also elimiate certain creatures that you prefer for different clients.