• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creating cures for the gargoyles

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there no way to see how many cures you have turned in? Like a leaderboard or something?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frarc has been creating excellent guides to the various stages of this story arc. They're under the Quests and Events heading:

UO Stratics *New* | Quest and Events

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be any way to keep track other than making a note yourself.

Saint of Killers

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frarc has been creating excellent guides to the various stages of this story arc. They're under the Quests and Events heading:

UO Stratics *New* | Quest and Events
Error 404 - Not Found

That's the message I get when I click on the Quests and Events link on Stratics.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Error 404 - Not Found

That's the message I get when I click on the Quests and Events link on Stratics.
I had to google it in the end to get it. Once i read it gave up on it. Far too much fafing around for my likeing

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quest and Event News

Try that link, bookmark it when it works.

All things related to the current event for the awaking are in there. From sifitng sands to making the cure.

But for the right combination of the cure you need to try out what works best way. Pen and paper are your friend. :)

Saint of Killers

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quest and Event News

All things related to the current event for the awaking are in there. From sifitng sands to making the cure.

But for the right combination of the cure you need to try out what works best way. Pen and paper are your friend. :)
Thanks, that worked. *bookmarked*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry, I posted a link, but then I forgot that it would be wiped out when I went back in to edit. I've fixed the links in the bar at the top of the main page.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I
Quest and Event News

AM SO BAD AT THIS! Ohh my gosh lol you should see my notebook.....:/ I haven't made a successful cure yet...I'm starting to get frusterated!

Anyone have any tips or is it really just totally 10000000% random? Cus you'd think with all the ingredients I've used I'd have at least ONE!

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I

AM SO BAD AT THIS! Ohh my gosh lol you should see my notebook.....:/ I haven't made a successful cure yet...I'm starting to get frusterated!

Anyone have any tips or is it really just totally 10000000% random? Cus you'd think with all the ingredients I've used I'd have at least ONE!
Get some paper and a pen. Make 6 columns, one for each ingred and one for the count that shows up in the bottom left corner after clicking the heating stand.

Put 1 of each ingred in the flask, double click the heating stand and note in the Count column how many ingreds are correct. Now add 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, double click the heating stand again and see how many ingreds are correct. If the number goes down, that means you need 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, if it goes up, that means you need 2, and if it stays the same, that means you need 3.

Now add 1 Vanilla to the flask and double click the heating stand, same again, if the number goes down you only need 1, if it goes up then you need 2, if it stays the same then you need 3.

Do this for each ingred, noting in each ingreds column how many you need. If you add too many of any ingreds, use the tongs to remove them from the flask.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is random, but what I do is
1) add one of each ingred into the flask and test it with the burner, see how many of them are correct
2) if it is 0, then add one more ingred to each and test again
3) if it says 1 , 2, or 3, correct, Then I start at the top with the sacs. I will add one more and check it again, if the correct number went down, then i know the first one is what it was. I empty the flask put them how i had it back in minus the one i just added to make the correct number go down.
4) i just slowly work my way down till i find the proper mixture of what it takes of each ingredant. If i see things geting to unstable, i collect them all and move to anotehr table and start over.

I have been watching people throw random ones in and test, then throw a few more in. I just had to ask them, out of the two or three u just added, how do you know which one is right and wrong?

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya
""Sac, double click the heating stand again and see how many ingreds are correct. If the number goes down, that means you need 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, if it goes up, that means you need 2, and if it stays the same, that means you need 3.""

The max number is 3, so don't waste a check to see that is correct, if 1 or 2 isn't it, then add a 3rd but no need to check since 3 is max and you will know that is correct, I move on to the next ingred and add one of those.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya
""Sac, double click the heating stand again and see how many ingreds are correct. If the number goes down, that means you need 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, if it goes up, that means you need 2, and if it stays the same, that means you need 3.""

The max number is 3, so don't waste a check to see that is correct, if 1 or 2 isn't it, then add a 3rd but no need to check since 3 is max and you will know that is correct, I move on to the next ingred and add one of those.
Yeh, say the correct combination is 3 Terathan Cuticle Sac, 1 Vanilla, 2 Raw Yeast, 2 Sugar, 3 Blightborn Slime.

Double click the flask, add 1 of each ingred, then double click the heating stand. It will say 1 ingred fizzles - so I know 1 of the 5 ingreds only needs 1.

Double click the flask again and add 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac - so in the flask is 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, and 1 of everything else - double click the heating stand. It will say 1 ingred fizzles - so I know I need 3 Terathan Cuticle Sac as the number of ingreds that fizzled didn't change. Put 3 in the Terathan Cuticle Sac column on my paper.

Double click the flask and add 1Vanilla - so theres 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac and Vanilla, and 1 of the rest - double click the heating stand. It will say None of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 1 Vanilla as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone down. Put 1 in the Vanilla column on my paper.

Add 1 Raw Yeast - so theres 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, Vanilla and Raw Yeast, and 1 Sugar and Blightborn Slime - double click the heating stand. It will say 1 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 2 Raw Yeast as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone up. Put 2 in the Raw Yeast column on my paper.

Add 1 Sugar - flask now contains 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, Vanilla, Raw Yeast, Sugar and 1 Blightborn Slime - double click the heating stand. It will say 2 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 2 Sugar as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone up. Put 2 in the Sugar column on my paper.

Add 1 Blightborn Slime - flask now contains 2 of each ingred - double click the heating stand. It will say 2 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 3 Blightborn Slime as the number of ingreds that fizzled didn't change. Put 3 in the Blightborn Slime column on my paper.

If I've added too many of any of the ingreds, I double click the tongs to get them all out of the flask and put them in checking how many of each from the paper. If I haven't added too many of any ingred, I add the extra of each needed.

I've done over 400 cures with 0 fails, only lost ingreds to infected gargoyles moving nearby.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Geesh 400 cures lol hahaha
I did 17 so far with 2 fails, nice job. I really enjoy this.
Hope they will keep it in on a minor stage in away for points for a reward vendor. The cures are worth keeping one or so aswell.
I am waiting on sugar and refuse the go broke for it, then will be making more.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeh, say the correct combination is 3 Terathan Cuticle Sac, 1 Vanilla, 2 Raw Yeast, 2 Sugar, 3 Blightborn Slime.

Double click the flask, add 1 of each ingred, then double click the heating stand. It will say 1 ingred fizzles - so I know 1 of the 5 ingreds only needs 1.

Double click the flask again and add 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac - so in the flask is 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, and 1 of everything else - double click the heating stand. It will say 1 ingred fizzles - so I know I need 3 Terathan Cuticle Sac as the number of ingreds that fizzled didn't change. Put 3 in the Terathan Cuticle Sac column on my paper.

Double click the flask and add 1Vanilla - so theres 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac and Vanilla, and 1 of the rest - double click the heating stand. It will say None of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 1 Vanilla as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone down. Put 1 in the Vanilla column on my paper.

Add 1 Raw Yeast - so theres 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, Vanilla and Raw Yeast, and 1 Sugar and Blightborn Slime - double click the heating stand. It will say 1 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 2 Raw Yeast as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone up. Put 2 in the Raw Yeast column on my paper.

Add 1 Sugar - flask now contains 2 Terathan Cuticle Sac, Vanilla, Raw Yeast, Sugar and 1 Blightborn Slime - double click the heating stand. It will say 2 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 2 Sugar as the number of ingreds that fizzled has gone up. Put 2 in the Sugar column on my paper.

Add 1 Blightborn Slime - flask now contains 2 of each ingred - double click the heating stand. It will say 2 of the ingreds fizzle - so I know I need 3 Blightborn Slime as the number of ingreds that fizzled didn't change. Put 3 in the Blightborn Slime column on my paper.

If I've added too many of any of the ingreds, I double click the tongs to get them all out of the flask and put them in checking how many of each from the paper. If I haven't added too many of any ingred, I add the extra of each needed.

I've done over 400 cures with 0 fails, only lost ingreds to infected gargoyles moving nearby.
o_O

I have a very bad headache now....talk about complicated! But it sounds like your technique works well....talk about getting something down to a science!

I will use this...thank you very much, lets see if I can save some Gargoyles...I hate to see them die in front of me as my flasks blow up in my face :( lol

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I

AM SO BAD AT THIS! Ohh my gosh lol you should see my notebook.....:/ I haven't made a successful cure yet...I'm starting to get frustrated!

The cures are random but ones you understand a system its not hard to keep making cures. If you keep have difficulties to make cures, just ask me in Skype when you see me and i come to origin and explain it to you step by step and the laboratory. Usual that helps people a lot how to do it.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o_O

I have a very bad headache now....talk about complicated! But it sounds like your technique works well....talk about getting something down to a science!

I will use this...thank you very much, lets see if I can save some Gargoyles...I hate to see them die in front of me as my flasks blow up in my face :( lol
Your welcome, hope it helps :)

On a side note - does anyone know when the deadline for turning in cures is?
From the Pub 76 notes
'This quest will be active during Act VI of “The Awakening” beginning July of 2012 and will end August 12th, 2012. The NPC will tell you how much time is remaining each time you turn an item in on your specific shard.'

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have 24 days left on Drachenfels.

Thats on 19 July 2012

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there any reason i should be losing all my ingredients. The last 5 attempts i have made i have lost all due to inactivity. I place one of each in, use the flask, it says 1/2/3 etc, i add a cuticle sac and then before i even get to 'test' the new entry it says i lose all. I am not taking any time at all, it seems that unless i get it right first go then i time out. Is this happening to others? Seems a bit flimsy to me. NOT Happy

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any reason i should be losing all my ingredients. The last 5 attempts i have made i have lost all due to inactivity. I place one of each in, use the flask, it says 1/2/3 etc, i add a cuticle sac and then before i even get to 'test' the new entry it says i lose all. I am not taking any time at all, it seems that unless i get it right first go then i time out. Is this happening to others? Seems a bit flimsy to me. NOT Happy
Sometimes I get errors like it acts as if there is no sugar and I have to add another sugar (I think this error could be based on using old, non stackable sugar and vanilla). Sometimes I get lost due to inactivity but from past stations, after the fact, and I don't in fact lose anything.

Hm. Well, you have a window and if you were inactive for too long I suppose you would lose ingredients, but perhaps there are a few bugs, as well. Not too sure.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to google it in the end to get it. Once i read it gave up on it. Far too much fafing around for my likeing

Not only that, from what I seem to understand, it has been designed as a sort of winner takes all type of competition which I disagree with. That is, whatever cures one turns in, they are going to be compared to the number of cures turned in by the top turning in players.

Since it has been going on for some time, there is scripting which allows players to at least get parts of the cures done in loads and without having to spend one's own time with unattended scripting or not having seed beds to raise vanilla in loads, for those players coming late to the Event, not scripting, not having the beds there is little chances to get much other than a robe, IMHO.

I entirely disagree with the way this event was designed. In my opinion, it should not have been a turn in competition between players that will leave a lot of players disappointed and just a handfull happy, but it should just have had rewards set at a reasonable number of turn ins even for the average casual players to be able to participate and be able to get the good stuff.

If the game tends to disappoint far more players than make happy, no wonders that the number of players may diminish.........

What good is being one of a very few winning players when the game eventually has not many other players left and the servers get shut down for lack of sufficient subscriptions ?

Ain't it better that rather than pleasing only a limited number of players the game is organized to make happy a much larger number of players ?

Sure, there needs to be a goal to reach for players to have reasons and incentives to play but ain't setting a fixed number of cures in order to receive a given reward enough of an incentive without risking to displease far more players than will be happy ?

I think that winner takes all (or at least the best stuff which perhaps can also make a difference in PvP which would make things even worse...) type of competition are not good for the game in the long run. They may deter more players from playing because unhappy then they may get players want to play because happy. Eventually, in a game with a low number of players even those players who were happy will become unhappy because the virtual world they pley in has a scarce population.

That's at least my opinion.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two known problems:
If any of the gargoyles comes near, they can cause your attempt to be abandoned. I usually take all my ingredients out and move to a quieter spot.
If it tells you there are not enough ingredients in, even though you know there are, simply double click the flask again and hit 'esc', don't add another ingredient, double click the heating stand.
I am fully aware that I'm unlikely to win anything, I've not gone all out to grow stuff, but the puzzles are quite fun once you get the hang of them, so I'm simply doing them because I'm enjoying doing them.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not only that, from what I seem to understand, it has been designed as a sort of winner takes all type of competition which I disagree with. That is, whatever cures one turns in, they are going to be compared to the number of cures turned in by the top turning in players.

Since it has been going on for some time, there is scripting which allows players to at least get parts of the cures done in loads and without having to spend one's own time with unattended scripting or not having seed beds to raise vanilla in loads, for those players coming late to the Event, not scripting, not having the beds there is little chances to get much other than a robe, IMHO.

I entirely disagree with the way this event was designed. In my opinion, it should not have been a turn in competition between players that will leave a lot of players disappointed and just a handfull happy, but it should just have had rewards set at a reasonable number of turn ins even for the average casual players to be able to participate and be able to get the good stuff.

If the game tends to disappoint far more players than make happy, no wonders that the number of players may diminish.........

What good is being one of a very few winning players when the game eventually has not many other players left and the servers get shut down for lack of sufficient subscriptions ?

Ain't it better that rather than pleasing only a limited number of players the game is organized to make happy a much larger number of players ?

Sure, there needs to be a goal to reach for players to have reasons and incentives to play but ain't setting a fixed number of cures in order to receive a given reward enough of an incentive without risking to displease far more players than will be happy ?

I think that winner takes all (or at least the best stuff which perhaps can also make a difference in PvP which would make things even worse...) type of competition are not good for the game in the long run. They may deter more players from playing because unhappy then they may get players want to play because happy. Eventually, in a game with a low number of players even those players who were happy will become unhappy because the virtual world they pley in has a scarce population.

That's at least my opinion.

Well with Oden having done 400 on my shard, there is no point in me even participating if its winner take all. I really thought with Mesanna taking over the top job the game may have started to move in the right direction, but its starting to look like she is sinking the ship, with it taking 6 months to get the other players a +5 stat scroll and now only the ones with the most time to spair getting the best rewards from this part of the event.

The best ever event i have ever took part in, was the one where we all got the red/blue/yellow crystals to turn in for robes and harbringer from the yellow crystal. Everyone had a fair chance to get the rewards and the rewards were fun and worth while.

Pff

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are two known problems:
If any of the gargoyles comes near, they can cause your attempt to be abandoned. I usually take all my ingredients out and move to a quieter spot.
If it tells you there are not enough ingredients in, even though you know there are, simply double click the flask again and hit 'esc', don't add another ingredient, double click the heating stand.
I am fully aware that I'm unlikely to win anything, I've not gone all out to grow stuff, but the puzzles are quite fun once you get the hang of them, so I'm simply doing them because I'm enjoying doing them.
Aye well I am not impressed, I had to 'grow' my vanilla and sugar and 85% of it is wasted to 'loss'. At no time was I not quick enough , nor abandoned my table, in fact on two 'goes' I put in the first 5 (1 of each), it said 4 'fizzles' so I knew only one item extra needed to be added, put in a sac and before I can even press the heating stand all was lost. This happened twice, another go I had 3 fizzles, put in a sac and the stayed the same, put in another as knew i needed 3, then put in next vanilla, before can hit the stand, poof, all lost again. So that time 8 ingredients up in smoke.

I feel i wasted a lot of time trying to grow this stuff to get the ingredients only to see it disappear due to a totally BUGGED system to do the puzzles.

I wouldn't mind if i was actually taking a lot of time, but I am not, you cant do it any quicker, the thing should not be lost due to inactivity if you have just started. I have also found the thing starts to become 'unstable' on the second press of the heating stand EVERY time and then goes more and more each press. I have never seen it NOT be unstable in some form after the first press.

Pretty disappointed.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have yet to see a single person working on this other than myself and one friend on Atlantic.

Some for sure will be working on it during different times but it's pretty clear not that many are participating even on the busiest shard.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm,
I first read about this event (comp?) in early june.
I then went out and filled my UO day/morning or whatever time i played grabbing the reagents needed.
Egg sacs = easy, yeast = easy, slimes = easy (by the end of june i had over 5k slimes)
I always knew sugar & vanilla would be a pain so i got lots of garden beds ready for it.
I have spent a lot of time doing this, and getting ready for it.
All i did was read it on this very forum and on the patch notes everyday before logging in. (the notes saying about this quest starting in july when we was in june/may)
Why should people that have put not anything into this get something? i mean the quest was on the patch notes screen for 2 months? so everyone that logs in can read it if they wanted and get ready also.
It will be unfair to those people that have done a lot for it to have wasted all that time & resources because some people couldnt be bothered to even read the patch notes before logging in?
So, lazy people FTW?:bs:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I spoke with Mesanna about briefly about this last night on Sonoma. I asked that she divulged a bit more information regarding the system. I know a handful of people, along with myself, who feel as if they are completely in the dark as to how the distribution of tier rewards will work. They feel, like yourself, there's no point in even trying. Also, I suggested some sort of 'breaking points' in the amount of cures that you turn in to guarantee a specific tier of rewards. For example, each 100 cures you turn in would guarantee you that tier of rewards and 400+ would guarantee all 4 tiers. (Note you could still get tier 4 rewards with less than that amount too.) This, along with some numeric explanation of the system could restore hope for you.. don't throw in the towel yet. I know how long that person making 400 cures took and if I were him and didn't get the Tier 4 reward I would hunt down and shoot someone! She said she will speak with her team and hopefully get back to us. I'm sure if she's able to give us any information she will in the next few days or so.

Sorry, but speaking to us at this point would not be enough, IMHO.

A lot of players, I suspect, have given up already thinking their hopes to get anything good were too slim as compared to other players who turned in loads of cures already on their shard.

So, "should" Mesanna let us know that the system would allow everyone to get their nice rewards given they turn in a set number of cures, she ALSO needs to give enough time, from whenever that information will be made available to the public, to make the required numbers of cures and turn them in.......

Just imagine the time needed to grow the required amount of vanilla to prepare a number big enough to get all 4 rewards....... I think we are talking about several weeks, probably, depending on what number of cures will be set to ensure that the player can get all 4 rewards....

I would hate to see any hopefull information from Mesanna be released but then the Event shut down after a few days or a week without then give time to players to work their required nymber of cures to get the 4 rewards.........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm,
I first read about this event (comp?) in early june.
I then went out and filled my UO day/morning or whatever time i played grabbing the reagents needed.
Egg sacs = easy, yeast = easy, slimes = easy (by the end of june i had over 5k slimes)
I always knew sugar & vanilla would be a pain so i got lots of garden beds ready for it.
I have spent a lot of time doing this, and getting ready for it.
All i did was read it on this very forum and on the patch notes everyday before logging in. (the notes saying about this quest starting in july when we was in june/may)
Why should people that have put not anything into this get something? i mean the quest was on the patch notes screen for 2 months? so everyone that logs in can read it if they wanted and get ready also.
It will be unfair to those people that have done a lot for it to have wasted all that time & resources because some people couldnt be bothered to even read the patch notes before logging in?
So, lazy people FTW?:bs:

Well, not everyone has the time to be able to make and turn in the highest number of cures.
Not to mention that a system were the player turning in the highest numbers of cures gets the best rewards looks a deterrant for those other players who think they do not have the time to make and turn in loads of cures.

Besides, I do not feel to waste my time "trying" to make most cures when I have a feeling that if some other player on my shard is scripting at least parts of the process, they will always be ahead of me because I cannot be at the computer as much time as someone else using scripts......

So, a system designed as a winner takes all basically sends me a message that I should not even bother trying to participate because I do not think I can even have a small chance to get any of the good rewards...

The system should be, IMHO, more like X cures get any player reward A, Y cures get reward B and so forth. So, at least a player would know that they have a goal to reach and when they reach it, they WILL get the reward they have worked for.

As it is now, I feel that even if I work for my rewards I may remain empty handed or at the most with a useless robe.....

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, not everyone has the time to be able to make and turn in the highest number of cures.
Not to mention that a system were the player turning in the highest numbers of cures gets the best rewards looks a deterrant for those other players who think they do not have the time to make and turn in loads of cures.

Besides, I do not feel to waste my time "trying" to make most cures when I have a feeling that if some other player on my shard is scripting at least parts of the process, they will always be ahead of me because I cannot be at the computer as much time as someone else using scripts......

So, a system designed as a winner takes all basically sends me a message that I should not even bother trying to participate because I do not think I can even have a small chance to get any of the good rewards...

The system should be, IMHO, more like X cures get any player rewards A, Y cures ghet reward B and so forth. So, at least a player would know that they have a goal to reach and when they reach it, they WILL get the reward they have worked for.

As it is now, I feel that even if I work for my rewards I may remain empty handed or at the most with a useless robe.....
Actually Popps, we all have had and still have the exact same amount of time. The event started for everyone at the same time and the event will end at the same time -for everyone. What anyone does with their time is, of course, their business, but we all have the same amount.

Not "trying" because you have a 'feeling' that some people are scripting the quest, in part or in whole, isn't good enough. People have had plenty of time to farm for the ingredients. It takes less than 1 hour to farm 100 yeast, sacs, or slimes. We all had two months to plant sugar and vanilla. Waaay more than enough time to harvest enough to do the quest a few hundred times.

I believe what we have here is that some folks failed to plan ahead and get their planting in sooner rather than later. When they finally did start planting they realized there would not be enough time to grow enough resources in the time left. Let me rephrase this: if you started in the last two weeks, you were too late!

Don't believe it?
Ask yourself why everyone has plenty of ingredients except vanilla and sugar -especially sugar.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Myphsar... this quest wasn't really for me so I spent more time getting ingredients for other people.
But why does everyone dislike quests that you have to work at? Some people put hours and hours into doing the quest and they should get a reward IMO.

I know not everyone has a lot of time to play like that so when you see a grind quest like that just make the decision it's not for you and move on.
I fail to see the logic in saying that people that play an hour a day should have all the same resources, frills, and eye candy that someone who plays eight hours a day.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly Ludes.... this game is huge, and many facets and things to do. If this quest isnt for you, move on. I have a friend who logs on 3 hrs a week to PvP only. They would love the sleeves, I am sure, but also dont like doing trammy stuff and realizes they dont play enuff. So they just dont and move on. Should my friend have the same opportunies as someone spending 10 hrs a week JUST doing this quest? I don't think so.

Oh and one more thing..... not enuff Raised Garden Beds????? Buy some damn plant bowls for 3 gp and water and pot them yourselves.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly Ludes.... this game is huge, and many facets and things to do. If this quest isnt for you, move on. I have a friend who logs on 3 hrs a week to PvP only. They would love the sleeves, I am sure, but also dont like doing trammy stuff and realizes they dont play enuff. So they just dont and move on. Should my friend have the same opportunies as someone spending 10 hrs a week JUST doing this quest? I don't think so.

Oh and one more thing..... not enuff Raised Garden Beds????? Buy some damn plant bowls for 3 gp and water and pot them yourselves.
I only have one garden bed. My roof and my third floor is full of plant bowls. It takes me a long time taking care of them all LOL. I am behind on ingredients because I just started back recently but I have a little over 100 cures. I won't lie I will be a little upset if I don't get anything at all. I have spent many hours getting ingredients and I hope to at least get the sash. I don't expect to get something for nothing. I am trying I just don't think I can keep up with the ones that have been getting ingredients for months which I know is my own fault for taking a break.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually Popps, we all have had and still have the exact same amount of time. The event started for everyone at the same time and the event will end at the same time -for everyone. What anyone does with their time is, of course, their business, but we all have the same amount.

Not "trying" because you have a 'feeling' that some people are scripting the quest, in part or in whole, isn't good enough. People have had plenty of time to farm for the ingredients. It takes less than 1 hour to farm 100 yeast, sacs, or slimes. We all had two months to plant sugar and vanilla. Waaay more than enough time to harvest enough to do the quest a few hundred times.

I believe what we have here is that some folks failed to plan ahead and get their planting in sooner rather than later. When they finally did start planting they realized there would not be enough time to grow enough resources in the time left. Let me rephrase this: if you started in the last two weeks, you were too late!

Don't believe it?
Ask yourself why everyone has plenty of ingredients except vanilla and sugar -especially sugar.

I meant "free" time..........

Of course the time that the Event will last is the same for everyone, unfortunately, not all players during that time "window" will be able to be playing the same amount of time......

So, is my opinion, in an Event where those who were either able to spend the most time in game to make and turn in cures OR use scripts to help them out and quite some at least for part of the process thus making it able for them to use their actual time in game to fill in the other parts that cannot be scripted, these players will have quite the most chances to end up turning in the most cures and, therefore, get the good rewards. The other players who did not have similar time, whether scripted or not, to play in the game to make and turn in cures, will stay behind and not qualify in comparison to the other players to win anything really worth it. So why even bother participating ??

And, as I see it, this is not a good way to have the rewards be assigned to players.

I would have rather preferred to see a known SET AMOUNT of cures be assigned for each reward and thus give a goal to reach to players. At least, players would have known that by making an X amount of cures they would have obtained, FOR SURE, a specific reward.

Work AND get.

Not work and "hope" to get.........

"Hope" to get can likely mean, when competing with other players who either can spend way more time in the game OR script, getting nothing or the least a hardly usable reward (a robe.....).

That is at least how I see it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fail to see the logic in saying that people that play an hour a day should have all the same resources, frills, and eye candy that someone who plays eight hours a day.
An important part of this game is Players vs. Players.

In order to have this aspect of the game thrive and be lively, it is very important, at least as I see it, that the most number of players possible get into PvP and participate to it.

Unfortunately, since UO became an "items" game, gear, weaponry and modifiers make the real difference in who may win or loose a fight. Since i guess not many people enjoy playing a game where they loose one too often, I guess that the key to success of a game that gives to PvP an important role, is to ensure a fair and balanced challenge in fights.

But how to make that happen ?

Well, when most players can sport similar gear, weaponry, modifiers.

This way even when the casual players can compete with powergamers it is possible to have the most people interested in PvP because casual gamers CAN compete with powergamers in PvP even though they cannot spend a lot of time playing the game. Lots of PvP means more people happy playing the game and more subscriptions.

That's why I think that high end items should be accessable to all, included the casual players.

Ginsu's

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get some paper and a pen. Make 6 columns, one for each ingred and one for the count that shows up in the bottom left corner after clicking the heating stand.

Put 1 of each ingred in the flask, double click the heating stand and note in the Count column how many ingreds are correct. Now add 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, double click the heating stand again and see how many ingreds are correct. If the number goes down, that means you need 1 Terathan Cuticle Sac, if it goes up, that means you need 2, and if it stays the same, that means you need 3.

Now add 1 Vanilla to the flask and double click the heating stand, same again, if the number goes down you only need 1, if it goes up then you need 2, if it stays the same then you need 3.

Do this for each ingred, noting in each ingreds column how many you need. If you add too many of any ingreds, use the tongs to remove them from the flask.
I tried it this way and it work my first time.. tks... this help soo much

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm just hoping these "hit fireball" sleeves only proc while the person wearing them is NOT wielding a weapon. otherwise double hit-spells, or even triple hit-spells for archers & throwers.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know not everyone has a lot of time to play like that so when you see a grind quest like that just make the decision it's not for you and move on.
I was just googling to see how the quest works, to give it a little try before it disappears, and I came across this thread. And I wanted to correct a misunderstanding; people didn't all have equal time to do the quest; however if you read Stratics very closely, or knew someone who'd looked at the CLILOC files and read forthcoming quest details, you'd already be collecting the slimes and growing vanilla a few weeks before the quest went live... Here's Petra stating just that on June 27th;

we're killing them for the blightborn slime they carry that we believe will be part of the gargoyle cure next month.

we're also growing vanilla and sugar and collecting Terathan cuticle sacs and raw yeast.
And here's another person who was aware of it when it was pre-patched way back in May... so that's a 2 month head start for some.

Quite apart from the fact that other games don't have the same design ethos, and that grind has never really been a part of Ultima history; it's always been a sandbox, casual engagement with an open world ethos in theory. And many of the player base resent grinding being introduced in lieu of long term content you can engage with. Especially when it's based on a winner takes all, one shot reward system.

But more importantly, other MMOs also don't have what is at this point largely open-source code which is going to be unravelled within a few hours of it being pre-patched giving people in the know a large heads up on what that competition is. They don't have the lock downs to grow that much vanilla, especially without the level of pre-warning others did. I do and knew, but I still hate that it requires it and as a consequence I have boycotted this stage until now.

Far better would have been a communal effort to rebuild the Gargoyle realm for each shard, with perhaps a statue with a list of every one who contributed at all in thanks. If you do just one cure, but anti-virtuously keep it for youself, you technically get thanks for not curing anyone at all, with a potion with your name on it. As it is, Odin a few weeks ago now already had 400 cures done on my shard. I wouldn't have had time to do that even if I had the will, and as others have mentioned, they stand no chance to catch up now either and so have also walked away from it. And alienating your player base is extremely bad game design, especially after months of equally horrible grinds instead of content which also did just that tii. This is the main problem. Not that people like Odin deserve nothing, or people deserve everything he gets for no similar effort... but that the game gives them nothing instead. If they wanted to play an MMO grinder, they'd be off doing that. They didn't, they were here in Britannia... but the Devs don't really seem to understand why.

Last edited: