• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Creating a custom .map file for UOC/UOAM for your SOS fishing

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Creating a custom .map file for UOC/UOAM for SOS fishing (now as a google doc!)

OK, I've made a Google Documents version of the OpenOffice file, and set it for anyone to access it.

Welcome to Google Docs

I've also recreated an Excel version of the file; I'm gonna check on getting the Excel & OO versions hosted as downloads with Stratics.

Update: For Ultima Mapper, the procedure is as below, but then you have to import the .map file you put the list of markers in, into UM with its import marker tool. I've not had a chance to test the importation process, though, as last I ran UM I was still having the "not following the character" bug. (of course, I've just done a full reinstall on my computer and haven't got around to reinstalling any of the map programs yet).

The following is a corrected repost from 2007 (from another stratics forum), and is essentially recreating data lost in 2008, from posts much earlier in the decade. Thanks to GreywolfUK for pointing out the coding difference between OpenOffice and Excel

The following data will allow you to create a spreadsheet in OpenOffice or Excel to make the raw data to plug into a UOC or UOAM .map file, to plot your SOS.

You type in the Lat/Long, it converts them to code needed for UOAM & UOC (which is text), then you copy and paste the column of info into a .map file (a new one or existing one). Someone made it a long time ago for the FCB.

The file was originally written for Excel, but my current version was saved as an OpenOffice Calc file. I do know that I couldn't get pre-XP versions of Corel Quattro to convert the original Excel data into a working form, which sucks, as I prefer using it (it's what my college in the 90s taught their freshmen intro to computers in, plus it was a free program for me - Microsoft Office cost - and still costs - WAY too much). Anyone want to help me get a version of this to work in Quattro 8?

Setup:

Here's the constant data to start with, that should be in rows 1-4, Columns A-C (LB throne data in A2, B2; World Size in A3,B3; Tiles data in A4,B4 - the y & x for illustrative purposes were in a1 & b1) The commas are there just to show division between columns (like in a CSV file). you do NOT enter them.

yx

1624,1323, :LB Throne

4096,5120, :World Size

11.4,14.2, :Tiles per degree

Now, Row 6 Is the header, of sorts for your data conversion table
As before, the commas are there to show the division of columns - and (Empty) means the column is used as a spacer - don't put anything into it.

A,B,C,D,E,F, G (Empty), H,I, J(Empty), K

y deg,y min,y N/S, x deg,x min,x E/W,(empty),x,y, (empty), .map file (copy and paste)

Row 7 and lower (make Row 7, then copy down)

Columns A-F are where you will enter data, as you go along. You might want to put zeros into them, to keep the program happy, while you input the formulas in Columns H, I & K.

Column G (and Column J) will be empty

Column H should be as follows (note that the Row 7 reference will change as you paste downward, for the other rows). There are different versions for OO & Excel, due to the programs suing slightly different coding (one uses a semicolon where the other uses a comma)

Open Office Version:
Code:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]=INT(MOD(IF(F7="w";$B$2-(E7/60)*$B$4-D7*$B$4;$B$2+(E7/60)*$B$4+D7*$B$4);$B$3))
Excel Version
Code:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]=INT(MOD(IF(F7="w",$B$2-(E7/60)*$B$4-D7*$B$4,$B$2+(E7/60)*$B$4+D7*$B$4),$B$3))[/FONT][/SIZE]

Column I should be as follows

Open Office Version

Code:
 [LEFT]=MOD(INT(IF(C7="n";$A$2-(B7/60)*$A$4-A7*$A$4;$A$2+(B7/60)*$A$4+A7*$A$4));$A$3)[/LEFT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]
Excel Version
Code:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]=MOD(INT(IF(C7="n",$A$2-(B7/60)*$A$4-A7*$A$4,$A$2+(B7/60)*$A$4+A7*$A$4)),$A$3)[/FONT]

Column K should be as follows

Open Office Version
Code:
="+treasure: "&H7&" "&I7&" 2 SOS"
Excel Version
Code:

Save your file. Make it read-only (As you don't want to have to rebuild this over and over from mistakes). After all, the data is gonna be pasted over to the map file, then written over the next time you use the spreadsheet. If you feel you must save every entry session, then just "save as" each file with the day's date added, leaving the original read-only.

Making the .MAP file

When it becomes time to build your sos.map file, do the following:

1. Open a file with notepad

2. the first line in the file is a "3" (just the number 3, no quotes or anything)

Then, starting with K7, down to where you last entered data, copy Column K, and paste it in the file as lines 2 to whatever.

Save it, and FORCE the damn thing to save as a .map file without a ,TXT extension. To do this, you might have to open a different .map file, save it as sos.mib (or whatever name you choose), empty out this new copy, then put the 3 and the pasted material in.

You will be saving this into the folder for UOC or UOAM. As this will be in your program folder, some people will have difficulty from Vista & Win7 being an ass about letting you alter files in your program folders manually. As I'm still using XP, that's out of my league - ask people over in UO Tech.

Once the file is created, you will then probably have to go into your map program's "Options" (try right-clicking on the program while its running) and make sure that your "sos" file is checked, to have the points display.

As you fish up your SOS, once you make sure that you don't have two so close that they show up as one point, right click on the used point, and delete it (or edit it to indicate it has been completed, if you want to look for the non-existent patterns some have claimed exist).

The next time you use your spreadsheet, just input the new SOS data over the old data, and when you paste, open the existing sos.map file, and paste the column K data at the bottom of any remaining map data.
[/code][/SIZE]

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somehow i do not understand the point of using an external program to do something that i can already do in UOAM. I always use the "edit or goto" Button in UAM and enter the coords given from the mibs straight into a map file. Each mib takes only a few seconds to enter.

What would really be helpful is a change in the mib system. Make the Coords of the mib an item property so i can read out the coords with one of the UOA-Agents and then enter a hundred mibs in a few seconds with the method you mentioned.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe this method just saves you clicking away in UOAM adding spots, You just type out all the coorindinates in one window, Save the file, Open UOAM/UOC and they are all on the map.

I use a similar spreadsheet to create the code to paste into waypoints.xml (For the EC Client!)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Somehow i do not understand the point of using an external program to do something that i can already do in UOAM. I always use the "edit or goto" Button in UAM and enter the coords given from the mibs straight into a map file. Each mib takes only a few seconds to enter.

What would really be helpful is a change in the mib system. Make the Coords of the mib an item property so i can read out the coords with one of the UOA-Agents and then enter a hundred mibs in a few seconds with the method you mentioned.
When I tried it with large numbers of MIBs, entering each one, one at a time, in UOAM took about 3-5 times longer.

When messing with bulk (20+) MIBs, it's quicker to open SOS on your game screen to where they overlap, each showing just the coordinates, open the spreadsheet on one side of the screen, then read down the list of the SOS and type them into the spreadsheet. (of course, one of my former jobs was entering data from a split-screen)

Plus, if you don't want it to interfere with game time, you can paper your screen with SOS like I mention above, screencap it, print (or save) the screencap, and enter the coordinates in while offline. That way, you don't have guildmates screaming at you for not answering them while you were caught up entering stuff into UOAM.

And, of course, UOC is a bit more difficult to enter coordinates into, and have them go into a specific map file.

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Column H should be as follows (note that the Row 7 reference will change as you paste downward, for the other rows)
Code:
=INT(MOD(IF(F7="w";$B$2-(E7/60)*$B$4-D7*$B$4;$B$2+(E7/60)*$B$4+D7*$B$4);$B$3))

Code:
 [LEFT]=MOD(INT(IF(C7="n";$A$2-(B7/60)*$A$4-A7*$A$4;$A$2+(B7/60)*$A$4+A7*$A$4));$A$3)[/LEFT]
Code:
Code:

Code:
Code:

[/quote]

For those using Excel Spreadsheets the formulas should be as follows;

Column H should be as follows
=INT(MOD(IF(F7="w",$B$2-(E7/60)*$B$4-D7*$B$4,$B$2+(E7/60)*$B$4+D7*$B$4),$B$3))

=MOD(INT(IF(C7="n",$A$2-(B7/60)*$A$4-A7*$A$4,$A$2+(B7/60)*$A$4+A7*$A$4)),$A$3)

Excel uses comma instead of semi colon :)

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Basara

Just checked with some of my SOS's and I think your formula is a little out, most of my co-ords are showing on land and not at sea :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Basara

Just checked with some of my SOS's and I think your formula is a little out, most of my co-ords are showing on land and not at sea :(

Problem's not on my end - my file's been read-only since 2003 and has been giving correct coordinates all that time (though I have had two SOS be landlocked due to SA's alterations to the seas around the Isle of Fire)

Double-check (these are taken from my copy of the program again)

the OpenOffice version of H7 is
Code:
[LEFT]=INT(MOD(IF(F7="w";$B$2-(E7/60)*$B$4-D7*$B$4;$B$2+(E7/60)*$B$4+D7*$B$4);$B$3))
The OpenOffice version of I7 is
Code:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
=MOD(INT(IF([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]C7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]="n";[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]$A$2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]-([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff]B7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]/60)*[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000]$A$4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]-[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]A7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]*[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]$A$4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2];[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]$A$2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]+([/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#808000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#808000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#808000]B7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]/60)*[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]$A$4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]+[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]A7[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]*[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff00ff]$A$4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]));[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000]$A$3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2])
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
The Openoffice version of K7 is
Code:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
A2 is 1624
B2 is 1323
(row 2 is the coordinates of the Throne, which is 0,0 in the lat/long system of UO)

A3 is 4096
B3 is 5120
(row 3 is the world size, which is 4k by 5k)

A4 is 11.4
B4 is 14.2
(row 3 is Tiles per degree - may or may not be more accurate if you make A4=A3/360 and B4=B3/360 ; the decimals are what were provided in the original program).

It's possible some of the transformations we have put the formula through either here in the post, or in your conversion back to Excel, might have buggered one or more of the variables.

[/LEFT]

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is true, Microsoft office in general is a temperamental beast, one reason I am switching to Star office, much more lighter on the old system too. will triple check them again, and get back to you.