• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crafting instruments

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I use jewels with music on them to boost my music to 45 skill to craft instruments, or does it have to be real skill?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jewels work- there's also a few options to look at

If you're an Elf: You need no real skill. You just need Song Woven Mantle (crafted sleeves from ML Recipe), +15 ring, +15 Bracelet, and either a Minstrel Talisman from the library collection or a Singing Axe (another ML recipe craftable).

Other Races: Since you can't use the Mantle sleeves, you either need 5 real skill, or an item that gives 5 more than normal Music (say, a +20 ring or bracelet from the dungeon revamps), or a +10 Music Dryad bow or fishing pole (do either exist?), or the bard version of that mask from Travesty.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No music on fishing poles and dryad bows. Sadly. (When you want to test it on TC, you will see that all skills from the musics skill group are excluded on runic crafted fishing poles.)

If you check the wisp in front of Despise regularly, you can find ephemeral jewelry with +20 music on them. Since you will use them only for crafting, those will last forever. I already got a bracelet for my gargish crafter, now I 'only' need a fitting ring. *g* (You can alter the singing axe to a gargish version.)
Personally I dont like the lib talisman. I prefer a carpentry talisman for better chances on except instruments. Even if you can collect plain wood easily in masses, i dont want to waste too much of them on non-except instruments.