• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Couple Questions! New to UO again!

mazamotuck

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooooo first off! How are skills now? Easy to raise? Tough still? Whats the average time spent to GM something?

Got a lot of soulstone frags with skills on them, any way to get them onto full soulstones so i dont lose the skills cause of the uses?

Money, where's the money at now? Easiest way to make it! Thanks!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First question: It really depends on which skill you are wanting to work on. Some are harder than others. Stealthing for example is quite easy if you have high enough hiding already. Weapon skills, guess you could just get yourself a golem. Hitting monsters works for training weapon skill. But again, depends on the skill.

Second: You wont loose the skill cause of the uses on fragmented soulstones. One use counts adding and taking away a skill. So you start with 5 uses, add a skill and take one off, that's 1 use. 4 uses left. But yes, you can transfer it a regular soulstone. Just transfer it from the fragment stone to your character, then from your character to the soulstone. Simple as that.

Third: If you can acquire items easily, you can make a lot by selling items. I hear hyrus' drop a lot of gold. Just hunt monsters? I haven't farmed gold in a long time so I can't say. I typically just sell items to gain money.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooooo first off! How are skills now? Easy to raise? Tough still? Whats the average time spent to GM something?

Got a lot of soulstone frags with skills on them, any way to get them onto full soulstones so i dont lose the skills cause of the uses?

Welcome back -- I just returned a few weeks ago. Make sure to check out the Player's Corner forum, it's helped me ALOT with learning the ropes again.

http://vboards.stratics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Skills are the easiest to gain they've ever been. Several are doable in an hour, most 2-3 hours.

On top of this you can buy most to 40 in new haven for 400 gp, you can then take a quest from an instructor again in new haven which will give you enhanced gains (0.2-0.5 per skill check) up until 50. Not for all skills but certainly most dexxer/caster related ones.
At that point you can then throw on jewlery to 80 skill and golem train the rest effortlessly, the jewlery can be bought for few gp.

To put skills from frags to full stones you would need to move them to a char first, though their not losing any charges just holding the skill.

Easiest way to make money right now is probably to do champ spawns in fel with a necro. Wither low level spawns for good SoT's then sell them, some are worth a lot, plus if you hide in the corner while someone finishes it you get a scroll and chance at the replica too.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skills are the easiest to gain they've ever been. Several are doable in an hour, most 2-3 hours.
OOo neato! Which skills can be raised in an hour? I'd be interested to know! Focus doesn't count :lick:

Easiest way to make money right now is probably to do champ spawns in fel with a necro. Wither low level spawns for good SoT's then sell them, some are worth a lot, plus if you hide in the corner while someone finishes it you get a scroll and chance at the replica too.
Do you have to do damage to the Champ himself to get rewards? Or can you just show up stealthed, whack a few of the spawn and get the rewards after it's finished? I haven't figured out who gets what at a Champ spawn, and how. I've been stealthing down to some Fel spawns, but never pop out for fear of getting ganked by all the Reds down there.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

OOo neato! Which skills can be raised in an hour? I'd be interested to know! Focus doesn't count :lick:
Resist, all wep skills including wrestle, tactics, anatomy, eval, mage, necro, ss, med, animal lore, bushido, music, not sure about ninjitsu definitely 90's though, parry, peace, chiv, vet probably 90's too.
Thats to GM, from GM-120 usually another 4 hours for the easier ones 6 hours for the harder ones. (not including ninjitsu which is a pita after 100)

Most of these depend on wether you can get a good training suit to throw on, apart from the wep skills/tact/anat etc which you just need like 100k for and thats mostly for the golem/wep.

Do you have to do damage to the Champ himself to get rewards? Or can you just show up stealthed, whack a few of the spawn and get the rewards after it's finished? I haven't figured out who gets what at a Champ spawn, and how. I've been stealthing down to some Fel spawns, but never pop out for fear of getting ganked by all the Reds down there.
Nope, you don't have to hit the champ, just have worked the spawn and be on the same sub server when he dies.
Getting killed costs like 6k?, the lowest SoT you can get is 0.6 which depending on what shard your on and what skill it's for will should be worth 600k+. Obviously have enough insurance to cover several deaths before ya go but I'd still say thats easiest, do some out of the way T2A spawns. Maps of all of them can be found on stratics front page.

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I challenge you to raise Animal Lore to GM from even 50 in an hour. Or Magery. I just did both of these and Animal Lore alone took well over 10,000 uses. Good luck pulling that number out of your butt in an hour.

S

Sweety

Resist, all wep skills including wrestle, tactics, anatomy, eval, mage, necro, ss, med, animal lore, bushido, music, not sure about ninjitsu definitely 90's though, parry, peace, chiv, vet probably 90's too.
Thats to GM, from GM-120 usually another 4 hours for the easier ones 6 hours for the harder ones. (not including ninjitsu which is a pita after 100)
I agree that you can easily raise music, eval, meditation, wrestling, and maybe even animal lore. But those others take much longer than an hour or two.

S

Sorcha of Sonoma

100% poison mage weapon and a golem will raise magery mega fast. GM in an hour? Nah not THAT fast, but a day should be easy breezy.

Wrestle would be the hard one - I have no clue how you would wrestle a golem for gains LOL.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, you don't have to hit the champ, just have worked the spawn and be on the same sub server when he dies.
Getting killed costs like 6k?, the lowest SoT you can get is 0.6 which depending on what shard your on and what skill it's for will should be worth 600k+. Obviously have enough insurance to cover several deaths before ya go but I'd still say thats easiest, do some out of the way T2A spawns. Maps of all of them can be found on stratics front page.
So if I just kill a few of the spawn, I can get on the list for a Scroll of Transcendence? Interesting. And when I die, it doesn't remove me from the list? I'll just have to be fast in getting back down there after getting whacked which will definitely happen.

Z

zorrah

I have a question for all of you advocating champ spawns as a viable means to get some cash flow going. Is it not considered rude to barge in on a champ spawn, or is it generally FFA anyway? I guess I always figured it was a group that was intentionally formed..

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I challenge you to raise Animal Lore to GM from even 50 in an hour. Or Magery. I just did both of these and Animal Lore alone took well over 10,000 uses. Good luck pulling that number out of your butt in an hour.
"pulling that number out of your butt "
"took well over 10,000 uses"

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

100% poison mage weapon and a golem will raise magery mega fast. GM in an hour? Nah not THAT fast, but a day should be easy breezy.

Wrestle would be the hard one - I have no clue how you would wrestle a golem for gains LOL.
I don't think thats the fastest way to do magery.

& you don't wrestle a golem, you wrestle something like a summoned demon or a pet.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

So if I just kill a few of the spawn, I can get on the list for a Scroll of Transcendence? Interesting. And when I die, it doesn't remove me from the list? I'll just have to be fast in getting back down there after getting whacked which will definitely happen.
Scrolls of Transcendence drop in your pack while doing the spawn, their nothing to do with the champ. Powerscrolls and replicas drop in your pack if you worked sufficient spawn and are on the same sub server when it dies.

4th3ist

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"pulling that number out of your butt "
"took well over 10,000 uses"
Not sure what you're trying to say, but even with -Mage weapon's magery took me three days (mostly because I don't have the patience to hit the same macro over and over and over for hours at a time) probably 12 hours. Animal lore took about as long taking me 2 days to do looking at the same horsey over and over and over again. And yes, seeing as how I invested several hours into it, I KNOW it was well over 10,000 uses. I must have pressed my macro button a million times, I'm sure 10% of that was a successful skill check.

I don't like to point fingers, but either you're exaggerating (Which was my point, but you can't admit to this) or you're using some illegal methods to gain skills.

At any rate, offers still on the table. I challenge ya. I've got an hour to waste and a full version of fraps that would love to record your 0-GM 1 hour magery technique. With my video and you're time you could probably sell it as a guide to some dummies for some good money. So fess up, are you BSing or not.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I have a question for all of you advocating champ spawns as a viable means to get some cash flow going. Is it not considered rude to barge in on a champ spawn, or is it generally FFA anyway? I guess I always figured it was a group that was intentionally formed..
No one owns the spawn anywhere, you can do what you like.

I'm not suggesting that he gets a group to try and complete them, I was suggesting working the low levels of spawns for SoT's as they sell well.

Z

zorrah

No one owns the spawn anywhere, you can do what you like.
This is true, I've just never done a champ spawn and wondered if the rules of polite gaming were in play, or if the area is so damn big that it doesn't matter whether you're on the sidelines picking stuff off.

I'm not suggesting that he gets a group to try and complete them, I was suggesting working the low levels of spawns for SoT's as they sell well.
I didn't realize that's how they dropped, thanks for the info. :)

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Not sure what you're trying to say
I was just pointing out that you're saying I'm pulling numbers out of my ass then saying 10,000 skill uses like you actually counted it... in this next paragraph you've changed from saying 10,000 uses to a million.

, but even with -Mage weapon's magery took me three days (mostly because I don't have the patience to hit the same macro over and over and over for hours at a time) probably 12 hours. Animal lore took about as long taking me 2 days to do looking at the same horsey over and over and over again. And yes, seeing as how I invested several hours into it, I KNOW it was well over 10,000 uses. I must have pressed my macro button a million times, I'm sure 10% of that was a successful skill check.
He said to GM not 120, GM magery does not take 12 hours.

I don't like to point fingers, but either you're exaggerating (Which was my point, but you can't admit to this) or you're using some illegal methods to gain skills.
Some are exaggerated, but not to the extent you're suggesting. 2 days? (48 hours?) for GM animal lore?

I'm suprised you mention illegal methods when you claim 10,000 key presses, then 1 million. You said you didn't have the patience to sit there for hours, yet you have the pateince to count to 1 million? Looks a bit suspicious to me.

At any rate, offers still on the table. I challenge ya. I've got an hour to waste and a full version of fraps that would love to record your 0-GM 1 hour magery technique. With my video and you're time you could probably sell it as a guide to some dummies for some good money. So fess up, are you BSing or not.
I'm not claiming it takes an hour from 0-100, just that it doesn't take long.
There are other things to take into consideration, like setup wether you're scrolled higher etc.
If you want to test it by all means go ahead. What I would do before starting is:-
Buy any alacrity scrolls available, be in lich form, with 120 med, 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 18 mr, 2/6, -29 mage weapon. Go to haven buy it to 40, take the instructors quest.
3 line macro:-
Last spell
Wait for target
Target self

Use cure until the instructors quest is done, then quit it (in case you need to work it on that char again).
Once cure stops gaining, bless, once that stops gaining, greater heal, once that stop gaining, dispel field, once that stops gaining, dispel, once that stops gaining, mass dispel.

You could optionally also be using a golem for the later stages where your mana runs low, though I never have.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

This is true, I've just never done a champ spawn and wondered if the rules of polite gaming were in play, or if the area is so damn big that it doesn't matter whether you're on the sidelines picking stuff off.
Well if you're in fel they'll come kill you anyway just to see if you have a taming SoT on you or anything else (because they sell for a lot and almost everyones a tamer now).

Thats why it's best to do the T2A ones.

I didn't realize that's how they dropped, thanks for the info. :)
Yw.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

To 4th3ist:

I probably am exaggerating which I admit. I have never timed anything in UO other than the round trip time to go to every gate and perform a stealth check.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scrolls of Transcendence drop in your pack while doing the spawn, their nothing to do with the champ. Powerscrolls and replicas drop in your pack if you worked sufficient spawn and are on the same sub server when it dies.
Same sub-server? Not sure what you mean.

And SoT's are a random drop while working the spawn... are they guaranteed, or like a %0.1 chance to drop in your pack?

And regarding how I would work a spawn.. right now I'm just leeching gold & Scrolls of Power from them. I don't really have the skill to handle too many, plus I would get whacked by a Red so easily. I guess I'm not a big fan of getting killed, running out of the dungeon and working my way back in again just to get whacked by a Red for kill a few ratmen. (curses to not being able to recall in and out!)

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Same sub-server? Not sure what you mean.
T2A is one sub server, so if you work a spawn at City of the Dead to level 3, and leave and someone finishes it, you can be at Ice West spawn and still recieve the scroll/replica in your pack.

All dungeons are another sub server, if someone finishes a destard you worked and your now in deceit you could get a scroll/replica in your pack.

And SoT's are a random drop while working the spawn... are they guaranteed, or like a %0.1 chance to drop in your pack?
They drop similar to how 105 powerscrolls drop.

And regarding how I would work a spawn.. right now I'm just leeching gold & Scrolls of Power from them. I don't really have the skill to handle too many, plus I would get whacked by a Red so easily. I guess I'm not a big fan of getting killed, running out of the dungeon and working my way back in again just to get whacked by a Red for kill a few ratmen. (curses to not being able to recall in and out!)
Several have their entrances near guard zones. The first two levels of rikktor/brarracoon spawns are fairly easy. If you die you lose 6k? The lowest SoT you get will be 0.6 in fel many of which (not all but many) will be worth 100k per 0.1.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Ok sorry to be hijacking this thread with this but here it is!

I decided to find out how long it would take to GM magery. As I have no spare char slots or chars on Atlantic I did this on TC, as I have no -29 weapon on TC I did the next best thing... If I was doing it on a production shard I would be starting from 50 (after buying it and taking the instructors quest) then using a -29 mage weapon. So to replicate this on TC I timed how long it would take to go from 21-71.

The char: Yippie.
The setup: 120 Med, Lich form (70 skill left on to maintain it), 100 lrc, 2/6, 40 lmc, 18 mr. Every other skill locked.
The macro: Last spell, wait for target, target self, wisper '.' (to stop the char timing out)
The accuracy: Used the '-time' command (uoa) to get my computers time in the journal screenshot next to the skills window.
I took screenshots every 10 points, at half way, at the first hour then the second hour, then when finished.

Started: 22:53:00 01/24/09, Spell - Cure
Reached 31.0 Magery @ 23:04:28 Spell - Switched to Bless shortly after this (10 points in 11 minutes 28 seconds)
Reached 41.0 Magery @ 23:17:26 Spell - Bless (20 points in 24 minutes 26 seconds)
---
Halfway, Reached 46.0 Magery @ 23:27:15 Spell - Bless (25 points in 34 minutes 15 seconds)
---
Reached 51.0 Magery @ 23:40:52 Spell - Switched to Greater Heal shortly after this (30 points in 47 minutes 52 seconds)
---
Hours up - 55.7 Magery @ 23:53:01 Spell - Switched to Dispel Field shortly after this (34.7 points in 1 hour)
---
For the sake of finding out I continued!
---
Reached 61.0 Magery @ 00:11:10 Spell - Dispel Field (40 points in 1 hour 18 minutes 10 seconds)
---
Second hour - Reached 70.0 Magery Spell - Dispel
---
Reached 71.0 Magery @ 01:00:04 (50 points in 2 hours 7 minutes and 4 second)

Lag/Overcasting mean it's not 100% accurate, but thats good enough for me!

Roughly 2 hours to GM Magery. So yeah I was wrong with saying it's 1 hour, but I was still closer than saying 12.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is phenomenal! I'm using this as a guide to get my Magery up!! :)

And thanks for the spawn ideas... i'm going to try working some of the spawns and see how I do! I'm sure i'll die, but if I can get a scroll - wahoo!

BTW, is there a better way to get down to the Despise Spawn, rather than running from the entrance down to level 2 and then 3?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Yeah go to Fire Dungeon entrance (in serpents hold) when you go in theres a building you can see on the map to the south of you. Theres two teleporters in there, the southern most one goes to Despise champ spawn area, the Northern most one goes to Destard ancient wyrm level.

On the front page of stratics on the left hand side theres a section with maps, it has a section that shows where all the champ spawns are and where all the teleporters go between them (including the T2A/Lost Lands ones).

I reccomend T2A over Despise, Despise tends to get raided quick.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reccomend T2A over Despise, Despise tends to get raided quick.
Excellent! I will check this out! Thank you!
And yes... I noticed Despise was raided fast. The only reason I go down there, is for the uber gold drops (I'm not rich). I just scoop up all I can carry, and get out of there!