• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Could you help us Soloweavers out?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For us intraverts that don't group up, could you at least design a quest or something where we can get a decent Focus? Maybe a chain type quest that builds as it goes? Spellweave pretty much blows without a boost.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is true. I was surprised to find that production shard weavers have just as hard a time getting a decent focus as Siege players do (less population = less weavers)

It's even tougher for me, as I play off peak hours for Siege. I would kill to use spellweave more often but it just doesn't have the punch it needs when I'm solo.

T

Tazar

It's hard to get a level 5 even on Atlantic. I trained up four extras on extra accounts just for it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
5 is the max right? I have 3 accts, and I can get a 3...but it aint much better than a 1 imo...how's Natures Fury at lev 5 ?

G

guum

It would be nice to have an alternative to at least get a mid-level focus. Or possibly just make it so that weaving spells are less gimped without a focus -- perhaps have them act without a focus as they now act with a level 3 focus. And make level 3 focuses act as level 6s do now, and cap them at that. I think it's pretty rare that anyone manages to get more than 4 people together to do a circle anyway.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any way to use a circle in a public house and communication crystals to create a bat-signal system ( so people can carry a communication crystal that will receive broadcasts of "I need to call a circle" ?).

( in theory, KR can create a chat channel dedicated to the subject too )

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
soulstones make focus easy... stone spellweaving... get 5 random characters, cast circle and then put spellweaving on.

While I agree there should be some sort of quest for solo-weavers (like a lvl 3 focus?) it really isn't all that hard.......

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m a POL newb, where exactly do you gather for a lev 6 focus?

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I"m a POL newb, where exactly do you gather for a lev 6 focus?
There is an arcane circle in the Prism of Light dungeon giving an additional level at your gem. It is located in the area where the healers are.

I

Infiniti

I play solo most of the time I'm on uo and with the last change made to spellweaving I decided to drop it. I am using the skill points to increase my magery and animal taming skills. Good Luck GarthGrey. :)

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I agree. My poor little weaver rarely gets a circle. LA is a small shard and it is hard to get a group together. the com crystal idea isn't bad, but it would only work if enough people were on line. Some of our weavers only play during the week and some one the weekend. I would love to have a quest for a mid level focus. One thing UO needs is more quests.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HA HA HA

Ignores the introverts and happily gets back to level 6 focus on unpopulated shard. GET SOME FRIENDS!!

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
soulstones make focus easy... stone spellweaving... get 5 random characters, cast circle and then put spellweaving on.

While I agree there should be some sort of quest for solo-weavers (like a lvl 3 focus?) it really isn't all that hard.......
Why the **** should I be made to open 5 other accounts and spend time training them?

This was obviously not well thought out when it was implemented. I am part of an alliance of 20+ guilds on Atlantic and can barely scrape a 5 together, and then, only at peak times on the weekend.

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why the **** should I be made to open 5 other accounts and spend time training them?

This was obviously not well thought out when it was implemented. I am part of an alliance of 20+ guilds on Atlantic and can barely scrape a 5 together, and then, only at peak times on the weekend.
It is not game design, it is player behaviors. The intent of Spellweaving and
obtaining a focus is a reward of player cooperation. If no cooperation happens,
then no focus.

The idea is to have six players cooperating inside the game. Their are many
such ideas that require player cooperation, but most gamers are soloist.
Many gamers see this as poor design. Wrong.

No method or trick which gets around the required player cooperation should
be allow. The Draxous's method mentioned breaks the spirit of the spell.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is not game design, it is player behaviors. The intent of Spellweaving and
obtaining a focus is a reward of player cooperation. If no cooperation happens,
then no focus.

The idea is to have six players cooperating inside the game. Their are many
such ideas that require player cooperation, but most gamers are soloist.
Many gamers see this as poor design. Wrong.

No method or trick which gets around the required player cooperation should
be allow. The Draxous's method mentioned breaks the spirit of the spell.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
Players are duping, scripters are still running rampant, speed hackers are ruling PvP, but let's not break "the spirit" of a poorly thought out skill...I'd hate for it to be the downfall of UO...

J.B.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure if LS has a greater number of Spell weavers, but i have no problem getting a 6, i get one every day i play, it makes or breaks my tamer. Be nice to the spell weavers, get there icq, vent any other means. I feel no changes should be made to Spell weaving, its a powerfull skill and it should be hard to get a high level focus.

I

Infiniti

HA HA HA

Ignores the introverts and happily gets back to level 6 focus on unpopulated shard. GET SOME FRIENDS!!

I play solo because that's the way I like to play and people like you have helped me to make that decision. :talktothehand:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure if LS has a greater number of Spell weavers, but i have no problem getting a 6, i get one every day i play, it makes or breaks my tamer. Be nice to the spell weavers, get there icq, vent any other means. I feel no changes should be made to Spell weaving, its a powerfull skill and it should be hard to get a high level focus.
But ask yourself if you would still feel that way if you COULDN'T get that daily 6 as easily as you do.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But don't all the 5 spellweavers need to be in the circle at the same one time to get a 6 ?

Meaning, that one needs to have 5 accounts to do that....

Casting a 6 with one account only and soulstoning skills I don't see how it could be possible, not to mention that one would have to run characters back and forth the house and the bottom of the dungeon where the circle is, which takes time for the log off time out for not being at a Inn or house when swapping characters.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But don't all the 5 spellweavers need to be in the circle at the same one time to get a 6 ?

Meaning, that one needs to have 5 accounts to do that....

Casting a 6 with one account only and soulstoning skills I don't see how it could be possible, not to mention that one would have to run characters back and forth the house and the bottom of the dungeon where the circle is, which takes time for the log off time out for not being at a Inn or house when swapping characters.
What he means is the spellweaver stones off his spellweaving. Then just go to the bank and find any 4 people that do not have spellweaving. Have them all go to a public arcane circle and cast focus (minimum skill is 0, but it's best if you use a human, since they have 20 from JOAT).

After thanking these 4 new found friends, the spellweaver can then retrieve his stoned spellweaving.

This works because:

1) Spellweavers in the circle needs to be within 20 skill points of the caster. Meaning any number of 0 skill elves and any number of 20 skill humans (from JOAT) can cast a circle together since their skill levels are within 20 points.

2) The duration of an arcane focus is dependant on 2 things - spellweaving skill of the caster plus number of participants. It lasts about a minute longer for each point of spellweaving the caster has. However, each participant increases the duration for 1 hour more. This latter part is where the extended duration is coming from.

eg - 5 spellweavers with 120 skill will create a focus that lasts 6 - 7 hours.
5 spellweavers with 0 skill will creates a focus that lasts 5 - 6 hours.

If you are considering 5 accounts though, there is another advantage for having 5 accounts - getting into the Doom lampost room.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's hard to get a level 5 even on Atlantic. I trained up four extras on extra accounts just for it.
I did the same so that my wife and I could have levels 5's.

Too bad there isn't a global chat like in everquest, we could have a global spellweavers chat to get players together for focus's.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually that is possible through MSN messenger groups, Yahoo , ICQ, as well as google.

I'm game. We just need to set up a group for every shard. Meeting spots (fel and tram based) and at least 2 houses. one fel, one tram. It will fall upon those that own the houses as well as co owners or friends to uphold some common rules at least on fel based sites.

J.B.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But ask yourself if you would still feel that way if you COULDN'T get that daily 6 as easily as you do.
There was a time i could not get a 6, thats why i made friends with many other spell weavers. I found a way to get it instead of complaining. I do like the idea of the global chat system.

J

jelinidas

I always thought the idea behind weaving was the group effort.

I play on Cats and now that the W Brit bank has a circle it usually takes no more then 5 minutes to get at least a 3+. I have logged in, hit the fridge, and come back to a shiny 6 many times.

Cats also has a new icq list started, but I have yet had to use it. Perhaps start a post on your shard forum. Good luck and my vote goes NO on a SW quest, sorry.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
already tried that on ls have managed to get a circle of 2 that way much easier to just stone it get a circle with 0 levels then put it back on really sucks you have to do it this way

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a time i could not get a 6, thats why i made friends with many other spell weavers. I found a way to get it instead of complaining. I do like the idea of the global chat system.
Never played Everquest before so I gotta know.. what exactly is different between what you're talking about and the chat system the game already has?

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Cats and now that the W Brit bank has a circle it usually takes no more then 5 minutes to get at least a 3+. I have logged in, hit the fridge, and come back to a shiny 6 many times.
Wait, they actually gave the WBB overhaul the same +1 circle as PoL?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never played Everquest before so I gotta know.. what exactly is different between what you're talking about and the chat system the game already has?
It acutally works....

In EQ you have dialogue boxes. In those boxes you can route specific types of chat. Guild, groups, ooc (out of character which is said across the whole zone), combat text, quest text, ect.....

You could also create different chat rooms, have the password protected...

You could have a game wide chat (example, my main being an enchanter, I was in the enchanter game wide chat room), shard wide (being an officer is a raiding guild, I was in a chat where various guilds talked about what they were raiding that night and if they were up on rotation).

The channel could be called something like spellweavers.

It was rather handy in EQ.

R

RichDC

Come to GL!!

Never fail to get a 5or 6 on high level or low level weavers.

Mid ranged weavers(below 80 and above 40) have a hard time but all other levels we accomodate pretty much all the time.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's an example of a UI with the chat boxes locked into position.

Depending on the UI, you could have more and move then around the page.

J.B.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not totally sure what your talking about, but maybe one thing is that people actually use EQ's Global Chat System? I never seen EQ's Chat sysyem, I do not know the first thing about it.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It acutally works....

In EQ you have dialogue boxes. In those boxes you can route specific types of chat. Guild, groups, ooc (out of character which is said across the whole zone), combat text, quest text, ect.....

You could also create different chat rooms, have the password protected...

You could have a game wide chat (example, my main being an enchanter, I was in the enchanter game wide chat room), shard wide (being an officer is a raiding guild, I was in a chat where various guilds talked about what they were raiding that night and if they were up on rotation).

The channel could be called something like spellweavers.

It was rather handy in EQ.

Again, HOW is that different from the chat system we already have? From your description, the only things the UO one doesn't have is gamewide chat and modular chat boxes.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for turning it into an EQ chat thread and sending it to die in the later pages. I still want Draconi or someone to explain to all of us how 1 shard can have a special Circle that gives an extra +1 focus. How exactly is that fair to other shards?

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What he means is the spellweaver stones off his spellweaving. Then just go to the bank and find any 4 people that do not have spellweaving. Have them all go to a public arcane circle and cast focus (minimum skill is 0, but it's best if you use a human, since they have 20 from JOAT).

After thanking these 4 new found friends, the spellweaver can then retrieve his stoned spellweaving.

This works because:

1) Spellweavers in the circle needs to be within 20 skill points of the caster. Meaning any number of 0 skill elves and any number of 20 skill humans (from JOAT) can cast a circle together since their skill levels are within 20 points.

2) The duration of an arcane focus is dependant on 2 things - spellweaving skill of the caster plus number of participants. It lasts about a minute longer for each point of spellweaving the caster has. However, each participant increases the duration for 1 hour more. This latter part is where the extended duration is coming from.

eg - 5 spellweavers with 120 skill will create a focus that lasts 6 - 7 hours.
5 spellweavers with 0 skill will creates a focus that lasts 5 - 6 hours.

If you are considering 5 accounts though, there is another advantage for having 5 accounts - getting into the Doom lampost room.
The risk is that the player who gains the Spellweaving skill from a soulstone
could just leave with the skill along with the soulstone. Such trust would be
rare on Siege Perilous.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually that is possible through MSN messenger groups, Yahoo , ICQ, as well as google.

I'm game. We just need to set up a group for every shard. Meeting spots (fel and tram based) and at least 2 houses. one fel, one tram. It will fall upon those that own the houses as well as co owners or friends to uphold some common rules at least on fel based sites.
Spellweavers should have long time ago agreed to meeting at one place once
a week at one time to obtain the use of focuses. But, behavior gets in the way.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rare on Siege Perilous.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
Ermmm...I think you mis-understood what I mean. You leave the soulstone securely at home. No one else needs to use it (nor can they).

You are using your own soulstone to reduce your spellweaving to 0, in order to cast a circle with any Tom, **** or Harry that doesn't have spellweaving.

Once you have an arcane focus, head on home and retrieve your spellweaving from your soulstone.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Catskills, I often run around with a level 6 Focus. This has become possible since the redesign of the Britain West Bank, where an Arcane Circle was placed right before the bank that gives a +1 bonus. Now the area is decently populated and spellweavers hang out there most of the time.

I do not think the basic spellweaving abilities need to be made stronger. I see a lot of folks with zero skill running around, "abusing" spellweaving. If spellweaving was made stronger, it would hugely unbalance PvP.

I'd even like to see a minimum skill requirement in order to cast an Arcane Focus.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rare on Siege Perilous.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
Say what?

On Siege... I put Spellweaving on a stone (or already have it on a stone when I log in) and tell my guildies I want a level 5 focus... 4 of my guildies meet at a pentagram/circle/abb and I cast the spell... viola, a level 5 focus crystal appears in my back pack...

for 5-6 hours, my character... now with 120.0 spellweaving has lvl 5 focus.

Then, when focus wears off... I put the skill back on a stone, rinse and repeat.

You don't need to give/trust anyone with anything... just get 4 friends to meet you at an a circle.

The problem I have with this is the 20 skill point range requirement. It shouldn't matter if I'm 120 spellweaving, 50 spellweaving or 0spellweaving...

any 5 players should be able to generate the focus needed. That is where I think they went too far with it.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Say what?

On Siege... I put Spellweaving on a stone (or already have it on a stone when I log in) and tell my guildies I want a level 5 focus... 4 of my guildies meet at a pentagram/circle/abb and I cast the spell... viola, a level 5 focus crystal appears in my back pack...

for 5-6 hours, my character... now with 120.0 spellweaving has lvl 5 focus.

Then, when focus wears off... I put the skill back on a stone, rinse and repeat.

You don't need to give/trust anyone with anything... just get 4 friends to meet you at an a circle.

The problem I have with this is the 20 skill point range requirement. It shouldn't matter if I'm 120 spellweaving, 50 spellweaving or 0spellweaving...

any 5 players should be able to generate the focus needed. That is where I think they went too far with it.
Yup. Any 4 people without spellweaving will do. Can even be people you meet at a bank. Just take extra precautions against thieves if you are on Siege, and store any stealables in your backpack into the bank first. One of the 4 people might be a thief using this excuse to approach you and snoop your pack.

If you play for more than 6 hours and your arcane focus expires, use a second soulstone (they can only be used once every 24 hours). Though after 6 hours, it's a good idea to take a break.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for turning it into an EQ chat thread and sending it to die in the later pages. I still want Draconi or someone to explain to all of us how 1 shard can have a special Circle that gives an extra +1 focus. How exactly is that fair to other shards?
How exactly is it UNFAIR?

Seems to me anyone who plays Cats has the same advantage of +1.

Anyone on your shard or my shard or any other shard also has the SAME level of focus as the next player. It only becomes UNFAIR if a player on Cats 'morphs over' to another shard while under the influence of that additional +1. This isn't gonna happen. Come on does it really matter who has what on another shard?

R

RichDC

How exactly is it UNFAIR?

Seems to me anyone who plays Cats has the same advantage of +1.

Anyone on your shard or my shard or any other shard also has the SAME level of focus as the next player. It only becomes UNFAIR if a player on Cats 'morphs over' to another shard while under the influence of that additional +1. This isn't gonna happen. Come on does it really matter who has what on another shard?
Nope i dont think it does, i mean it could be deemed as unfair that GL has an underground passage from the moongate to WBB. Every shard has things unique to there shard...and it should stay that way!

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope i dont think it does, i mean it could be deemed as unfair that GL has an underground passage from the moongate to WBB. Every shard has things unique to there shard...and it should stay that way!
Rich I think I have to disagree with you on this one. It is nice that each shard has its "uniqueness".

The passage that you are referring to does not give people on one shard a better game experience or make certain skills in the game better or easier.

Every other person in the game on every other shard has to conform to the Arcane Circle requirements as well as locations.

What makes Cats so special that the people on that shard don't have to go to the Prism of Light like the rest of us?

R

RichDC

Did you also klnow that GL has arcane circles in locations not on other shards, as well as a curse stone??

What makes GL so special that they have a stone in fel that reds who need to work Magic resist just just go to and double click??

Same kinda thing, shard individuality. Im assuming that if any other designs incorporate an arcane circle then they would get the same +1 boost, if they didnt then that would be unfair and biased.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you also klnow that GL has arcane circles in locations not on other shards, as well as a curse stone??

What makes GL so special that they have a stone in fel that reds who need to work Magic resist just just go to and double click??

Same kinda thing, shard individuality. Im assuming that if any other designs incorporate an arcane circle then they would get the same +1 boost, if they didnt then that would be unfair and biased.
WOW, no i didn't know about the curse stone.

But then again the people in charge of this game have their head so far up their @$$ that this doesn't surprise me.

R

RichDC

Curse stone has been there for years now, it does have charges...about 9billion left lol