• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Could we get an ingame planner/diary/book of achievements?

X

XLaCeDX

UO has so many things a player might do on any given day that I sometimes wish there was a way to keep up inside the game with everything I need to do and would like to do.

I tried Warhammer Online when it first came out and it included a book of achievements, I forgot it's exact name, but everytime you completed something new it registered in the book.

In UO we can use our profiles to keep notes, but that is visible to the public, or we can use books but those we need to keep up with which I'm not so good at.

What I'd like is a place on the paperdoll for a book/scroll/thought symbol, click on it and get a diary/planner with tabs, some preset some freestyle where I can keep up with my character's activities ingame.

Examples:

Preset tabs would include a description of the activity, how far your char has progressed in each activity, how far he/she has left to go in each and a checkbox at the end that he/she can check to show they've done that activity for that day. It would be excellent if we could see the past month or maybe even the entire history of that character's activities in the preset tabs.

1. a General Account tab: would autolist all chars on that account and have 2-3 lines available for the account owner to make general notes: for example:

Char one name (game autolists name) player fills in notes: Tame 25 unis in Grimswind Ruins to gain taming and turn in for Zoo Collection points. Checkbox That the player can check to show he/she has tamed and turned in those 25 unis for that day (well she) This is more for a quick look at that account's needs for the day since most of us have more than one account to tend to each day.

2. Individual Character tabs: Game automatically creates a tab for each character on the account and each character tab contains character specific tabs inside such as:

a. Virtues tab: Shows how far you have advanced in each has checkbox for each day that you can check (or game autochecks for you?) when you have done the required work to advance. Shows any rewards earned.

b. Quests tab: autolists all quests and how far the character has advanced in each and how far they have left to go to finish (includes those quests on the avatar like solen quests that are not included in current quest list) Has a checkbox the player can check to show they've done what they needed or wanted to in that quest for the day.

c. Skills training tab: auto list character's skill levels has checkboxes a player can check to show he/she did their skill training for that day.

d. Guild page for that char autolist all guild info and would be awesome if it could list new guild messages from the GM (not sure if that would be possible)

e. Faction info page for that account/char with any pertinent info and checkboxes again to keep up with it all.

g. Achievements page: shows all titles completed events for that player

h. Diary page (private!) for that character that the player can write him/herself

i. Freestyle pages that we can set up ourselves for other activities such as tending our plants, making kegs, etc., also include checkboxes if we so desire.

Generally I need a way to keep up ingame with everything I want to do, even though I will never have the time to do everything.

Hopefully others will find this idea useful and add to or take away from it and the devs might consider implementing it in the future and Save a Few Trees!

I keep notes on real paper now.

:(

S

StifledArgument

I use a bulletin board personally :) I do see your points though.

When I saw the topic though I thought of WoW and threw up a little in my mouth.

X

XLaCeDX

I use a bulletin board personally :) I do see your points though.

When I saw the topic though I thought of WoW and threw up a little in my mouth.

WoW didn't have anything like an ingame diary the last time I played it.

Do you mean you thought of Warhammer Online (which is owned by EA Games like UO) reminds you of WoW?

That I can understand because those two games are similar.

Why a video game makes you want to throw up in your mouth I don't understand.

Are you sure you aren't pregnant?

S

StifledArgument

WoW didn't have anything like an ingame diary the last time I played it.

Do you mean you thought of Warhammer Online (which is owned by EA Games like UO) reminds you of WoW?

That I can understand because those two games are similar.

Why a video game makes you want to throw up in your mouth I don't understand.

Are you sure you aren't pregnant?
You're asking them to develop something that is not needed.

And if you bothered reading your own title (which also means topic for most people) you would see the Achievements thing which was the OCD child of WoW folks. Who obsessed about it day and night. So, no, I didn't mean Warhammer, the game that couldn't get out the door before WoW and has next to nothing for a player base. I was referring to the game everyone knows and which most have played.

Most people would get the reference about the throwing up, but apparently not for you... And seeing as you decided to go the insult route. Not pregnant, but thanks for being incredibly creepy and ignorant.

T

Tazar

I like the idea over all, though I have never kept a journal of this type. I measure my achievements by the quality/quantity of my in-game friends, the quality of my equipment and the size/quality of my home/decor.

I think the above posters were just saying why spend developer time reinventing the wheel? There are already dozens of programs that will serve function required. If you don't have word, something as simple as note-pad will do.

If you really want to get aggressive with it, the task-manager in Microsoft Outlook would probably work great too.

S

StifledArgument

I like the idea over all, though I have never kept a journal of this type. I measure my achievements by the quality/quantity of my in-game friends, the quality of my equipment and the size/quality of my home/decor.

I think the above posters were just saying why spend developer time reinventing the wheel? There are already dozens of programs that will serve function required. If you don't have word, something as simple as note-pad will do.

If you really want to get aggressive with it, the task-manager in Microsoft Outlook would probably work great too.
I bet it would too :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Forgive me for not offering anything of substance to this thread.......but ........Good Grief....."Dear Diary....today I met the most wonderful Gargoyle while frolicking through the glen."......seriously, go out and get some sunshine or something..

X

XLaCeDX

You're asking them to develop something that is not needed.

And if you bothered reading your own title (which also means topic for most people) you would see the Achievements thing which was the OCD child of WoW folks. Who obsessed about it day and night. So, no, I didn't mean Warhammer, the game that couldn't get out the door before WoW and has next to nothing for a player base. I was referring to the game everyone knows and which most have played.

Most people would get the reference about the throwing up, but apparently not for you... And seeing as you decided to go the insult route. Not pregnant, but thanks for being incredibly creepy and ignorant.

I repeat.

Wow has no form of bookkeeping ingame that I am aware of.

Explain please what you mean?

I get the feeling you have never played WoW.

WoW is not UO but it has its good points, just like UO has its bad points.

Warhammer sucked as a game for many reasons.

I personally didn't care for the way the characters floated over the ground, something about their feet not really touching down made it less immersive for me.

Others pointed out that the landmass was simply too large to actually meet other people to make WAR with...

I feel UO does need it. Guess we have a difference of opinion here.

:)

X

XLaCeDX

There are also some great tools on the UO-Stratics home-page (lower right).

Some you might like are:

Journal Converter (UO-Pro app)

UOSA Cat-log backup

I don't want to run other programs when I could keep the information within UO where I need it.

I don't want it on my desktop thanks.

If the ingame paperdoll journal was private and unlimited as to amount of text that could be added or at least tripled in the amount allowable, I could use that.

Mythic has already developed something similar for Warhammer Online, although that version doesn't allow a player to create tabbed pages in the book of achievements and include their own text.

X

XLaCeDX

Forgive me for not offering anything of substance to this thread.......but ........Good Grief....."Dear Diary....today I met the most wonderful Gargoyle while frolicking through the glen."......seriously, go out and get some sunshine or something..

Yeah I know only guys should be allowed to play online video games.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally XLaCeDX,

I use UOJournal Converter.... every conversation I have is logged either in game or out... my icq is logged my journal is logged...

I try to keep record of things I do in story form.... I write up stories about my characters in story form and post them when I like.

Nothing like that for a record...

What I would prefer is a way to keep track of things OUT Of game like things I could get from my character sheet in the EC... my resists, how much luck i have.... what the stats are on my sleeves. So when I'm off shopping and all I can quickly find what my characters needs are... though I try to keep a list....

I actually used Word to make me a "Character" data sheet table.. only trouble is it's a pain in the rear to keep it up... I mean I don't go and bump things up every time I gain a skill point... Once every few months though I do try to go thru and update it.... but your talking to someone with over 50 characters. The only way I keep track of them is thru that chart.. which tells me what I need for each character in PS's, armor, weapons, pets..... resists.... skills I'm working... What they have in the bank and in the stable... so I can tell at a glance if I need something or I can sell it.

I wish that I could update this each time I log in automatically but that's not likely to happen.

First off I don't want anything ingame telling anyone anything about my accounts... I try to keep track of that myself... last thing I want is any account info out there where someone could really do you some harm with it.

No sense in making your account look better for a hacker. Anyway that's just me.

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice Pops Imitation laceD.....Only your way or no way at all.

My guess is the devs would rather you used notepad to keep track of your crusades for scripter hunting and paging.

Why develop something that has many other viable alternatives? Should they develop an app so I can keep track of all the chars I have on different shards? Like suits, skills, bank holdings, etc... They could spend lots of time working on an app but a spreadsheet works well for that. No reason to waste developer time.

Q

PS if you want spreadsheet and word capability but don't want to spend the $'s

Google: OpenOffice.Org

It's Free and works very well

W

Wakiza

Did'nt read the OP's entire post, but i will agree Warhammers "Tome of Knowlege" is pretty cool.

X

XLaCeDX

Personally XLaCeDX,

I use UOJournal Converter.... every conversation I have is logged either in game or out... my icq is logged my journal is logged...

I try to keep record of things I do in story form.... I write up stories about my characters in story form and post them when I like.

Nothing like that for a record...

What I would prefer is a way to keep track of things OUT Of game like things I could get from my character sheet in the EC... my resists, how much luck i have.... what the stats are on my sleeves. So when I'm off shopping and all I can quickly find what my characters needs are... though I try to keep a list....

I actually used Word to make me a "Character" data sheet table.. only trouble is it's a pain in the rear to keep it up... I mean I don't go and bump things up every time I gain a skill point... Once every few months though I do try to go thru and update it.... but your talking to someone with over 50 characters. The only way I keep track of them is thru that chart.. which tells me what I need for each character in PS's, armor, weapons, pets..... resists.... skills I'm working... What they have in the bank and in the stable... so I can tell at a glance if I need something or I can sell it.

I wish that I could update this each time I log in automatically but that's not likely to happen.

First off I don't want anything ingame telling anyone anything about my accounts... I try to keep track of that myself... last thing I want is any account info out there where someone could really do you some harm with it.

No sense in making your account look better for a hacker. Anyway that's just me.

"First off I don't want anything ingame telling anyone anything about my accounts... I try to keep track of that myself... last thing I want is any account info out there where someone could really do you some harm with it.

No sense in making your account look better for a hacker. Anyway that's just me."

Account tab isnt meant for doofuses to paste in their passwords and account names, and even if some doofus did put that info into the account tab, since the pages are Inside the game, it means you'd be logged in on that account to see that info, to do that you'd have had to enter the VERY same info beforehand.

It's just an auto-listing of your chars with some lines so you can type in Char A needs to tame 25 unis today and turn into the zoo, etc.

I don't wish to jump between programs or applications when I could simply have a window open inside UO with UO info in it about my chars that I can glance at whenever I like.

As I said I currently use a paper to keep track of what I need to do ingame on what account.

Since Mythic created a Tome of Knowledge (thanks Wakiza!) for Warhammer Online, it's not like it's a foreign subject to them.

X

XLaCeDX

Nice Pops Imitation laceD.....Only your way or no way at all.

My guess is the devs would rather you used notepad to keep track of your crusades for scripter hunting and paging.

Why develop something that has many other viable alternatives? Should they develop an app so I can keep track of all the chars I have on different shards? Like suits, skills, bank holdings, etc... They could spend lots of time working on an app but a spreadsheet works well for that. No reason to waste developer time.

Q

PS if you want spreadsheet and word capability but don't want to spend the $'s

Google: OpenOffice.Org

It's Free and works very well

I already use a pencil and paper to keep track of things I need to do ingame.

I am not interested in other out of game methods of keeping track of my chars and their activities ingame.

"My guess is the devs would rather you used notepad to keep track of your crusades for scripter hunting and paging."

I use GMs to keep track of and for paging on suspected scripters.

I don't think notepad would much use in that area.

:)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually UO has lots of achievements ... it just doesn't call them achievements (library access, abyss access, spellweaving, solen friendship ...).

The first question I'd ask is: would people like a gump they could pull up that would list all your achievements which are currently hidden? (either as a sprawl or organized into categories)

Then you could talk about listing other quests accomplished, user-defined achievements (logs) and whether people would like to see the concept used more often. A lot of this stuff is probably already logged on the server for statistics/scanning purposes - it's just a matter of making it visible to the client.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not interested in other out of game methods of keeping track of my chars and their activities ingame.
Why not? I find this whole "don't use that idea, it's from game X" to be silly. A good idea is a good idea. Find it. Research it. Use it. I'd rather a mongrel game that's constantly improving than a xenophobically pure one that's stagnant.

Corpse

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldnt mind a tally of certain stuff achieved in UO, viewable by others..
I mean i can careless wether they do it or not, but if they did I wouldnt be mad..

Items Stolen from Players:
Players Killed:
Death's Tallied:
Longest Time Alive on character:
Monsters Killed:
Champions slain:
Insurance amount gained from killing players:
Insurance amount lost from dying:
Artifacts Recieved from doom:
Steps walked:

Just stupid little stuff like that, I would click on players paperdolls while bored just to see it. :p

S

StifledArgument

Why not? I find this whole "don't use that idea, it's from game X" to be silly. A good idea is a good idea. Find it. Research it. Use it. I'd rather a mongrel game that's constantly improving than a xenophobically pure one that's stagnant.
All we need is another way for people to sit there and go,"OMG you suck, look you don't have ...." There is a lot of have's vs have nots in the game currently (see "Castle Envy" or "Luna House Envy" or "Champ Spawn Titles" or even just gear or rares).

Between people wanting in game mail and "achievements", I feel like the attempt to make a game like an existing one (that has the depth and character of a snow pea) is not enhancing the game, and is attempting to make it something it is not. This game has the freedom to be whatever you want. Why do you care if you have a page that tells everyone how you have done the Naturalist quest 500 times or that you have been killed 1000 times.

I would prefer the devs used their time to fix the EC, and work on the Factions that would bring people back or at least help keep them, fix the exploits in 2D, fix luck, fix terrain issues, etc;etc;

I just think on the laundry list of things the devs should be working on, this should be at the end of the scroll.

M

Mairut

I love that Idea!

I could be looking at that to see what I could be doing while I'm waiting for the lag to clear! :lol:

Seriously though, It's a great idea....

My first thought was Excel...but I think the last time I used that was in HS about 5? 6? years ago. I'm not sure I remember where all the buttons are to make the thing add and multiply things (like resists) :p

I just hope when someone spends the time to come up with a program like that, EA will approve it like they did for Journal Converter and Assist. ;) I wish I had the necessary skills, I'd be working on it already. Alas... I don't, so I wait :(