• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cost range for customized 18x18 house and other questions

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently returned to the game after a 9 year absence (man have things changed!) and had a few questions about customizable houses.

1) According to the Stratics home footprint page, an 18x18 customizable plot runs $179k. I'm guessing that's just the plot, right? If so, then I'm curious about how much more it costs to add walls, doors, a roof, etc. Let's say from the most basic design to the most elaborate, what is the price range? Maybe a better question would be, what do you think the average price is for a decent customized 18x18?

2) This is really part of the first question: can you decide whether your 18x18 will have one, two, or three stories? If so, then I need to amend my first question to ask about average costs for those three possibilities. Do the number of lockdowns change depending on the number of floors you have?

3) Assuming you place a customizable house in an empty lot, how do things work from there? Do you have unlimited time to complete the house? Do you have to pay for the current price of the house after every time the design is saved, or is there a separate commit step (guessing I can find this out by digging a little more on this site)? Can you place things in the moving box (say, from your bank box) during the customization process without fear of losing anything?

I'm sure more questions will come to mind, but for now those are the main ones.

Thanks for your help!

jojo_la

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) that's the base value for the plot and unless it's changed the cost of the tiles on the first floor. It defaults to "dirt" but if you change it to something else, the total cost to commit the design won't change. I have not customized a house in a very long time, so the average cost for a fully customized 3 story 18x18 isn't coming to mind.

2) yes, you can have one story, two or three stories + a roof. So you really can build up to 4 floors on an 18x18. Lockdowns and secures are only affected by the plot footprint, not how many floors you build up.

3) you can keep a designed stored indefinitely. You can tinker away for yours and not commit. You can also commit and redesign, but that gets costly. You cannot take stuff stored in your bank box and move them to the moving crate. The moving crate is made if there are items that would be affected by the customization (say gozas, deeded items, etc).

Again it's been a while since i've customized a plot. If any of my info is wrong, somebody please correct me!

M

Mairut

If you build a house, commit, and then decide to scrap all of it you get the money back for the walls and floors, (except first floor).

If you build a wall, commit, and then decide you don't want the wall after all, you get the money back for the wall. It's 500gp for every tile you place, although I could have sworn staircases cost a bit more...I couldn't get a price to show for that.

That's why you'll see so many houses for sale that are down to the plot... people have deleted all the walls to get the money back that they paid for construction in the first place, when they customized.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info, both of you. So in general are costs for customized houses on par with or much more than, say, a castle? Just trying to get a feel for how much gold I need to have before I could build one.

M

Mairut

My house is 15x15 with 1129 components (I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that would be floor, wall and roof tiles) and 11 fixtures (tooltips says those are doors and teles)... and my sign says my house is valued at 570k.
I can post pics if you like, to give you a better idea.

Ummm... so for an 18x18 I wouldn't think it would be too much more than that, but that would also depend whether you make 4 open rooms (1 floor=1 room), or several rooms on each floor.

Myself, I have something like several rooms on 3 floor...not sure you would call them seperate rooms exactly... and the 4th floor is just the roof with the shingles thing going on.

Pics:

First Floor:

Second:

Third:

Roof:

Still getting the color schemes and deco worked out by the way ;-P

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The total cost of my customized 18x18 was 568k (that is the total house value listed on the house sign). If I remember right, that includes the plot cost. Now mine has a nice size yard so part of the plot isnt fully done on multiple floors, but that should give you a rough estimate.

Lord Clay Of Aquinas

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My two 18x18 cost over 800k each. I just finished a build on a 14x18 home that cost over 500k. So it's really what you do to your home that dictates how much it costs.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you everyone - most helpful! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, and is good news for my situation.

Thanks again, and thanks for posting the wonderful pictures of your homes!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to play around with house customisation on your own ... go to the test center. Placing a house there doesnt effect housing on the production shards and you start with around 1 mill in gold. Thats plenty of money to spend on house building. And you canc reate another character there for an extra million, if thats not enough. *g*

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to play around with house customisation on your own ... go to the test center. Placing a house there doesnt effect housing on the production shards and you start with around 1 mill in gold. Thats plenty of money to spend on house building. And you canc reate another character there for an extra million, if thats not enough. *g*
Great idea Silverbird - I'll do that. Thanks!