• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cooper's Sad

• Thread starter CooperColeman
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

CooperColeman

I dropped a drink on my laptop and don't have the money to buy a new one until the end of August, so I guess I will see you guys then. Hope you have some good runs!

S

SSniffleslam

Well, in most cases you can save them (cell phones, too) if you can be brave and take it apart ---and if it hasn't shorted out. With a laptop, you'll need a small screwdriver for the case...also, remove the battery, the A/C adapter, and unplug it.

BAH...don't want to type all of it in so here's a wikihow on what to do...complete with diagrams and everything:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

L

loadexfa

Also if it's under warrenty you can try that route. Rather than say, "I spilled water on it", say, "It stopped working". I used to do computer repair for Apple systems in a retail store. If you're nice many techs would let a lot of things slide. :)

Josh

C

CooperColeman

The warranty is expired, but I did try cleaning it. It is drying now. But I don't have a lot of hope. I just remembered that I have an old desktop, but I don't remember the administrator password. It is also very slow with a lot of unused programs on it. Can someone tell me how to reformat it?

S

SSniffleslam

Pop your Windows (*provided it's running windows) CD in, restart the computer, and it should boot to the CD. You should have options to reformat on the CD... If it doesn't boot to CD, you may have to change the boot sequence to CD first (through the BIOS).

Depending on what type of CD it is (recovery or a regular copy of Windows) you may get a few different options. I have a regular copy of Windows XP and when it boots to the CD I just choose to delete the partition, create a new partition, format the hard drive (NTFS or FAT....if it's less than 5 years old you'll want NTFS) and reinstall a clean copy of windows. IF you have a recovery CD, you might get different options...I used to have a recovery CD on an old HP machine, but I can't remember the options.