• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Content Contest - We Have a Winner

• Thread starter Xena Dragon
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
X

Xena Dragon

Here are the results of the Content Contest we announced about two weeks ago. Sadly there have not been many contestants, but I am glad that there were a handful of very interesting submissions nevertheless. Without further ado, here are the articles that have been published on the site:

<ul> [*]An additional guide, by Mosin [*]An update to <a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/miner.shtml>Professions: The Miner, by BiG [*]An addition to , by Bingo [*]A new essay <a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/looter.shtml>Professions: The Looter, by the Galads [*]A new , focusing on magic item properties, by Lady Napster [*]An update on the Hit Chance% calculation on the <a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.shtml>Combat page, by Samuel Margarella[/list]

After careful consideration, we've decided to declare the Galads winners of this contest as their guide was not only very informative but also very entertaining to read. So congratulations to them, and we wish them pleasure with the prize they won. Either Galad can meet us on Chesapeake to become the new owner of the L-shaped Two Story Stone and Plaster House.

A big thank you to everyone that submitted an article. We know how much time it can take to really sit down and create an interesting article out of the stuff you stuck in your head whilst playing UO.

The contest is over, but we are still looking for submissions. If you can contribute to the UO community by sharing your tales, tips, tricks or other useful bits and pieces then don't hesitate to create that interesting article, guide, essay, report or what-have-you and send it to <a target="_blank" href=mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]</A> so our editors can have a look at it. Who knows, it might be *your* name that we mention on the news when we announce the next batch of site updates. :)

P

Peaches

Congrats to the Galads for winning the house and gratz to those others that took the time to write articles up!

T

Thunderbird

*raises hand*

I did the hit chance article (shoulda given my internet name, Blackstream:p)

I was going to make a comment about taking the .0001 out, but I guess people should know to convert percents to decimals before multipling.

G

Sadly I am going to have to be an ass.

I have found some mistakes on one of them(I have only read half of one so far).
I know a lot of hard work went into these but I still must bring it up.

Loot Guide:
"Defense increase
The maximum is 15%. It comes on weapons, as well as jewelry and armor."

Only comes on Shields, Weapons, Jewery not Armor. Just one word, but still annoys me.

"Lower mana cost (max 8%)
..... A full armor suit with a ring and a bracelet can take you to 56% lower mana (7 pieces)."

Actually you can do 8 pieces which takes you up to 64%
Hat
Legs
Tunic
Ring
Braclet
Arms
Gloves
Gorget

And Lower mana cost is EXTREMELY useful. I am personally putting together a Lower Mana Cost Suit with Mana Regen, taking pieces with over 4% +1 mana regen.

So in total if I got all "minimum" pieces for me. It would be:
32% Lower Mana Cost and 6 Mana regen. Thats like having GM Focus along with whatever med and or focus you have.
Imagine being able to EQ the Dark Father only using 25 mana and being able to regen that mana back before you finish casting the next spell. Now thats my dream.

*Reads on*

"Armor with hit point, mana or stamina regeneration (1 or 2)"

Stamina Regen comes to a max of 3 not two.

"Again, all shields will be enhanced (valorite or gold, when luck is present)."

Luck is never present on Shields.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Again, all shields will be enhanced (valorite or gold, when luck is present)."

Luck is never present on Shields.

<hr></blockquote>

Interesting, I have a couple of shields I found off of Liches with luck 32 and luck 40 respectively.

Sure it's not present?

T

Thunderbird

Sure, there's plenty of things you could be picky about. For example in the looters guide, there's going to be 20 steps to stealth at gm instead of 10, post pub19. In the miners guide, Last Object is the fastest way to mine since a long time ago, and even if it wasn't, it saves you from getting carpal tunnel from clicking all day and just holding down one regular uo/uoa macro. And for evading pks, it doesn't even mention the awesomeness of using protection (i.e., no interruption when trying to get that safe recall out). Yes, it works and it saved my life as a miner.

However, all this stuff is just nitpicking. Sure you could pick out errors till the other guy feels lower than scum, but there's not much point for most of them. I dunno, whatever works for you.

Anyways, uo.com claims luck doesn't spawn on shields (but we all know how much we can trust osi), and I've never seen a shield with natural luck, but at the same time I can't tell you that you didn't find a shield with luck. Could you perhaps provide a screenshot (if you still have them) of either a non-enhanced sheild with luck or an enhanced shield with &gt; 40 luck?

X

Xena Dragon

Thanks for the extra information. Your tips (except the comment about luck shields) have been incorporated in the loot page now.

T

Thunderbird

Insurance is either 600 or 650... I fogot, it's been a few weeks since I insured something.

G

600 and 300 to renew if you get killed by any other player including guildmembers

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wearing your victim's clothes or armor can get a very funny response, indeed! It's a fine line that we waver on constantly: we'll block someone so that they die....

<hr></blockquote>

Oh yeah. That type of person deserves to be rewarded. /[sarcasm]

I am so disapointed in stratics on this one it isnt even funny.

G

It was the most comprehensive contribution, even if it was 'from the dark side' of UO.

Remember, our content is as good as the contributers' efforts, if you could do better - we not only challenge it, but welcome it!

C

Chinalilly

Congrats to the winners.

I do have a suggestion for future contests though.

It seems like the winner(s) were rewarded for inaccurate and/or incomplete essays. Perhaps should future contests of this nature take place, the prizes should be held back until the information submitted is tested and verified to be true and accurate.

G

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have NEVER seen a shield that had Luck on it except it being enhanced. I have killed well over 10,000 critters on my Tamer since AoS. Not a single Luck Shield.

Perhaps it was Pre AoS converted?
Thats the ONLY way IMO that it could have 32 Luck on a shield.

I am 99.99% sure that it is no present.
Now if someone would like to show me a shield on any shard that has any luck on it unenhanced please feel free to PM me.

Even though you found them on Liches you could have looted enhanced or Pre AoS Shields that the Lich Looted from someone else.

N

Neon Ninja

<blockquote><hr>

After careful consideration, we've decided to declare the Galads winners of this contest

<hr></blockquote>
*chuckle*
That required "consideration?"

E

Evil Galad

I was surprised we won considering that we're not exactly the most politically-correct UO players around.

™§hãÐôwWàlkër®

Just because you find one playstyle, hrmmm "indecent"? Doesn't mean everyone else does.

N

NunuSpider

That looting guide was written pre-ren anyway wasn't it? Like the tank mage template, tanks don't have wrestling anymore, they have anatomy, and generally more dex, less str. I remember reading that on Galad's site way back when.

E

Evil Galad

Yep, the guide was written almost 3yrs ago but then edited as new updates came out.

A

Asmodi_Mhul

Not impressed with the Loot guide at all. While it gives a so-so explanation of the new item properties it's highly biased. Things such as..
<blockquote><hr>

Armor with hit point (1 or 2), mana (1 or 2) or stamina regeneration (1 to 3)
Not important. It is a nice extra, but not something I go and search for. Although, in combination with (high) lower reagent cost armor, mana can always be handy...

<hr></blockquote>
and numerous other comments reguarding good modifiers as being useless. Sure that essay is the opinion of one person but I wouldn't go basing what I loot in a hunt off that essay.
just 2 points of hit point regen will negate the damage done by the poisoning spell.