• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

connectivity forum

M

mariotso

dev server outage announcements are now here in city hall, so players with connectivity issues have started using city hall too--also maybe because most posts in the connectivity forum go unanswered

the connectivity forum either needs to be killed or used and enforce it properly

G

The Server Outages forum is working as intended. EA reported downtime has almost always been reported in CH.

SO is a special forum for players to report outages. The moderators of that forum have a particular method for notifying EA. If an outage is posted in CH but not in SO, there is a good chance it will go unreported to EA.

Sending a notification to EA does not necessarily mean a response is received, so many times "EA has been notified" is the only information SO Mods have to report.

Server Outages is highly moderated so it can serve as a source for relevant information only. That way the EA contact does not have to dig through post after post of unrelated conversation.

M

mariotso

based on personal experience of my own posts in that forum and the complete lack of any official response to them ever, you can see how i would have the misconception that those forums are ignored. glad to hear it is so "highly moderated".

when the cities go down, i would assume the announcement would be posted in the connectivity forum, one that is "for reporting unscheduled server outages or server wide problems such as extreme lag."

silly me

G

Until recently with the transfer to the new code, the server outages were generally dealt with, by a team of EA techs (hamster rustlers, server kickers).....not the game developers.

The techs never posted anything but rare curt responses to indicate the city was being fixed or back, most responses were from Parizad. Techs are not interested in reading our chat...I supsect they work on EA's many game servers...not the games. The rules for Server Outages are the rules given to Stratics from EA Games for how they wanted it reported.

It is only because we have a team of Developers actively changing and tweaking the new game, that they respond to outages and technical difficulties, themselves, rather than leave it to the usual techs and customer support.

I am pretty sure, that once the system is stablized and running smoothly, that outages will again be resolved by a tech team & Parizad, not the Dev team posting in City Hall......so don't get used to the personal attention!

G

<blockquote><hr>

when the cities go down, i would assume the announcement would be posted in the connectivity forum, one that is "for reporting unscheduled server outages or server wide problems such as extreme lag."

[/ QUOTE ]

SO is for players to report the outages to EA. For as long as I have been here, the Community Reps and now Developers have used CH to report to us.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

SO is for players to report the outages to EA. For as long as I have been here, the Community Reps and now Developers have used CH to report to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is confusing that devs report in one area and players in another. perhaps the descriptions could be changed for the benefit of the hopefully large influx of newcomers :crosses fingers:. i myself have been around for a while and did not know this.

gilly, i was referring to a few weeks back when we were down several weekends and no one replied anywhere to anyone despite desperate and urgent pleas and downright begging. i would have given my saint and all my affies for a curt reply then! thank goodness we haven't seen the likes of that lately.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it is confusing that devs report in one area and players in another. perhaps the descriptions could be changed for the benefit of the hopefully large influx of newcomers :crosses fingers:. i myself have been around for a while and did not know this.

gilly, i was referring to a few weeks back when we were down several weekends and no one replied anywhere to anyone despite desperate and urgent pleas and downright begging. i would have given my saint and all my affies for a curt reply then! thank goodness we haven't seen the likes of that lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first you would have to confirm that the Devs are going to continue to do things the way they are being done currently, which to my knowledge has not been officially announced.
It would be presumptuous and silly if Gilly *giggles*, Milton, or Sketti, or any other mod just changes the way things are done without EA approval.

Secondly, from what I remember, that was a weekend. I am pretty sure our team has off during the weekends... so yeah, I'm pretty sure most aren't so eager to go in and work on the weekend, even for an affie or w/e.

Obviously since then they have rectified that sort of situation.

I've always thought the server outages forum was one of hte most efficient on Stratics. You report the problem, a staff member notifies EA. EA notifies tech mofos, tech mofos fix it, tell EA mofo it's fixed, EA mofo posts "Its fixed"
and done. Normally there is some time involved...

when the game does go down we all have laundry to do... or something.

G

Not rly'. but I totally rhymed.

(btw rly is pronounced "rilly")

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But one has to remember that These are no longer the official forum for TSO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Why does one have to remember that?

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

Secondly, from what I remember, that was a weekend. I am pretty sure our team has off during the weekends... so yeah, I'm pretty sure most aren't so eager to go in and work on the weekend, even for an affie or w/e.

Obviously since then they have rectified that sort of situation.
when the game does go down we all have laundry to do... or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

to clarify, it was two consecutive weekends with reports that a dev in the pub was aware of the situation but no communication. and while they may not care to provide weekend support, that is the industry standard

when you say they rectified that sort of situation, are they now providing weekend support?

not sure what the laundry suggestion has to do with the price of tea in china. the point of the post was how to better communicate when the game goes down, not what do when when it does

G

No, I have no proof that they have weekend support. when I say rectify, I mean they worked it out so the issues on the weekend are not so massive.

And as far as my laundry remark goes. It's just a remark to chillax... it's only a game.

Its not like the technology on your life support is malfunctioning.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

No, I have no proof that they have weekend support. when I say rectify, I mean they worked it out so the issues on the weekend are not so massive.

And as far as my laundry remark goes. It's just a remark to chillax... it's only a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. not sure why you think i was suggesting otherwise

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. not sure why you think i was suggesting otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

this kind of made me think it was a little over the top.

<blockquote><hr>

despite desperate and urgent pleas and downright begging.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit excessive for a game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

i think i hear your dryer buzzing, jackiee

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh no, I don't own one, it's not permitted where I live. I send my laundry out mostly. Or have someone else do it for me

I really don't do domestic chores.

Which is why I have time to sit here and read your words.

But yes, I support the outages forum. I guess thats what that boils down to.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

i think i hear your dryer buzzing, jackiee

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that a constant buzzing noise can't be healthy.

G

As I have seen it, you post about the outage in the server outage forum, then come over here to complain about the server outage. Or at least that is how I've seen it done since I started here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Why does one have to remember that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because Stratics is not an official site of EA but leads posters to believe they are?
per this by spanky

Maxis Addendum
Because these are the official message board for The Sims Online, there are additional Rules Of Conduct when posting here:

Blessed are the lemmings, for when one jumps in the pit..... they all jump

G

IMO, this entire thread was uncalled for. Someone just thought they could take it upon themselves to do whatever they wanted. There was no reason that this thread ever should have seen the light of day, its just, just, uncalled for. That is my opinion. Take it how you shall.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

IMO, this entire thread was uncalled for. Someone just thought they could take it upon themselves to do whatever they wanted. There was no reason that this thread ever should have seen the light of day, its just, just, uncalled for. That is my opinion. Take it how you shall.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? uncalled for? umm, dude all i suggested is that the server outage announcements go in the server outage forum! why you find this so offensive and have to communicate it is a little, how can i put this kindly....puzzling

but yeah, i wanted to make that suggestion and by god i took it upon myself to do what i wanted. so let's see, how shall i take it? hmmm, where is that roflmao smiley

G

<blockquote><hr>

are you serious? uncalled for? umm, dude all i suggested is that the server outage announcements go in the server outage forum! why you find this so offensive and have to communicate it is a little, how can i put this kindly....puzzling

but yeah, i wanted to make that suggestion and by god i took it upon myself to do what i wanted. so let's see, how shall i take it? hmmm, where is that roflmao smiley

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, maybe you should <font color="red"> read </font> your first post again.

<blockquote><hr>

dev server outage announcements are now here in city hall, so players with connectivity issues have started using city hall too--also maybe because most posts in the connectivity forum go unanswered

the connectivity forum either needs to be killed or used and enforce it properly

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you suggest anything about server outage announcements go in server outage forum. And beside, announced server down time is different then if it goes down without a reason. All you suggested was that the connectivity forum be killed off. You suggested nothing else.

Things have worked just fine with reporting outages for quite a long time now. And if you check back, I believe all server down downtime was reported in city hall(if I am wrong would a mod please correct me). Why change a system that has worked fine. That is why I see this thread is uncalled for. Why change something that isn't broke?

edited for spelling

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

Umm, maybe you should ready your first post again.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, the answer is clearly stated.

G

lol, stupid spelling, should have been:

<blockquote><hr>

Umm, maybe you should <font color="red">read </font> your first post again.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

Umm, maybe you should <font color="red"> read </font> your first post again.

<blockquote><hr>

the connectivity forum <u>either</u> needs to be killed <u>or used and enforce it properly</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you suggest anything about server outage announcements go in server outage forum. ....

All you suggested was that the connectivity forum be killed off. You suggested nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've highlighted the other part of the suggestion.

I believe the suggestion is based on a misunderstanding as I've pointed out previously in this thread.

G

Apparently I misinterpreted as well.

But either way, why fix something that <u>isn't broken</u>??

That's all I'm saying.