• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

connecting problems, help pelase!

I

ihatetram

i keep getting stuck at verifying account anyone know how to fix this? i remember someone saying that you had to delete some file.

happened straight after i played on a freeshard then tried loggin back into osi.

any ideas?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

i keep getting stuck at verifying account anyone know how to fix this? i remember someone saying that you had to delete some file.

happened straight after i played on a freeshard then tried loggin back into osi.

any ideas?
Hmmm...odds are high that it is a firewall issue. If you replaced or changed your client file, your firewall likely thinks it is an entirely different program (thank the gods for invasive security software btw). Update the unblock list on your Windows firewall or Norton IS and then see what happens.

Also, don't just shut if off...this rarely works. And don't just dismiss this advice...because you will go mad trying to solve this, while the answer is likely only a click or two away.

I

ihatetram

yeah i just updated firewall etc etc.. i didnt replace the client but still just gets stuck at verifying account

R

Ravahan

Let me look around in my UO folder and see what I can come up with. What file did you have to change to connect to the freeshard? Can you connect to UO using UOKR?

R

Ravahan

Well shoot. I ask because its a totally different client and it has different files it uses through the whole process, I believe.

So what file did you have to alter to get it to connect to the free shard?

EDIT; I decided to do a little digging as nothing jumped out at me in the uo folder and found that there's actually an app to connect you to whatever freeshard. Since I don't know a whole lot about [removed 3rd party reference] or freesharding in general, here are my suggestions in order of pain-in-the-assedness;
1. Do a power cycle.
1a Unplug all networking equipment and turn off your computer.
b Plug in your DSL or cable modem, and wait until the DSL or Cable light is solid green
c plug in your next peice of networking equipment and wait until the Internet light is solid green
d Repeat C as necessary until all routers/hubs are plugged in
e boot up computer
I don't actually expect that to fix it, but you'd seriously be suprised.... and hey, easy first.

2. Do a system restore. You'd be suprised how much stuff this fixes, and its fully reversable. You will lose no data. How does it work? Magic.

3. Force UO to patch. I forget exactly how to do this, but I'm sure someone here has it fresh on their minds. Do you change the version # in that .txt file or is it an actual patch file you gotta tinker with? Either way, UO should start downloading the latest patch and hopefully overwrite whatever got screwed up. I might tinker with this in a couple minutes out of boredom (I'm freaking bored).

4. Hook your computer up directly to your modem and power cycle. If it works, you've got a port forwarding issue with your router, and that can be a pain. Let me know if that's the case and I'll help you out.

5. Reinstall UO. By this I mean uninstall UO completely, save your macro and desktop files and delete the folder. Download and reinstall. Installing something on top of itself is kind of sloppy and can cause problems as often as fixing them, plus you'd still have to patch the whole thing anyway as whatever file above would be overwritten to an earlier version, so you're not saving that much time in the scheme of things.

I

ihatetram

didn't alter anything, i used a program that connects me straight to it without having to change anything at all.

R

Ravahan

A guide on how to test your ports (I'm really REALLY bored). These are the ports UO requires, taken from the KB

TCP/IP ports: 5001-5010
Game: 7775-7777
Login: 8888
Patch: 8800-8900
UO Messenger: 9999

To test if your port is open, you'll want to send a signal and see if it gets through. Go to start, run, type cmd and hit OK. In the black box that comes up, type ipconfig and hit enter. Make a note of the ip address. Next, type telnet (your IP address) 8888 and hit enter. Be sure you put a space between your IP and the port. This will have one of two results. If you just got to a black prompt that says "Telnet" at the top, the port is open, if its closed you'll get a very obvious error message to that effect. Let me know what kind of router you have and I can get you some linkage for port forwarding setup.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oki I did some digging and found out which file gets corrupted when you go visiting those shards. Find your file 'login.cfg' . Path is probably something like: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy. Open it in notepad

This is what it should say:
;Loginservers for Ultima Online
;Do not edit this file or patching will fail! Always save a backup.
LoginServer=login.owo.com,7775
LoginServer=login.owo.com,7776
Make sure yours exactly matches that, including the semi-colons, spacing and commas. Save and try to log in.

R

Ravahan

oki I did some digging and found out which file gets corrupted when you go visiting those shards. Find your file 'login.cfg' . Path is probably something like: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Ultima Online Mondain's Legacy. Open it in notepad

This is what it should say:Make sure yours exactly matches that, including the semi-colons, spacing and commas. Save and try to log in.
Good lookin', Petra. Hopefully that fixes him up. Loggin' that away in my memory banks for future reference.

I

ihatetram

yeah seemed it played with my login file, added an extra bit that shouldn't of been there. thanks alot guys!