• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Congrats to Ravahan...

A

AesSedai

*thread necromancy*

I just recieved the parts, and Dermott was of course as good as his word...
- Great to hear, although I had no doubts, eh :)
*runs off to price SATA HDDs and power supplie*
- I like little Western Digital Raptors for speediness along with a monster hog TeraByte-ish drive for data storage. Both should be on sale somewhere at brick&mortar or internet land :)
Enjoy the gift, aye!

R

Ravahan

- Great to hear, although I had no doubts, eh :)
- I like little Western Digital Raptors for speediness along with a monster hog TeraByte-ish drive for data storage. Both should be on sale somewhere at brick&mortar or internet land :)
Enjoy the gift, aye!
I've got my system all planned out now, and it'll only cost about $200 for all the stuff I don't already have. I'm going to go with just one Seagate Barracuda 500 gig drive for the moment, but I'll probably get another one on down the line to run in striped array. I considered getting a 10k RPM drive, but thought I'd probably not notice the performance difference enough to warrant doubling the cost since I'm on a budget when an extra drive in RAID would do a better job when I can afford it. I'm also a big WD fan (both of my current drives are WD), but Seagate's also good and it looks like they're the better value right now when you consider cache size storage and RPM.

So I'm now waiting on Uncle Sam to send me back my money and then I'll dish out some to a few part companies. While I wait, I'm double checking warranty info and such to make sure if I get a DOA or a part fails on me soon after installation I can do something about it. I'm exctied! The way my finances are right now, I'd have never been able to justify the new rig if I hadn't had those parts from Dermott to build on.

I'm very happy with the board in particular. It has a lot of options I can tinker with =D

B

Beefcake101

Time for a new one for me as well. i do not fell like building another so i just bought one instead. Will arrive in a few days.

What do you guys think of this system? Should be decent and i can add to it later.

I like the 2 gigs of video ram(2 videocards can add another is need be) and Quad core. I hope i can walk in KR now.

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz FSB 1333, 6MB, 45nm CPU
CPU Cooling ASUS Arctic Square CPU Cooling Fan
Memory 8GB DDR II 800 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston)
Motherboard ASUS P5N-D nVidia 750i Motherboard
Hard Drive 1 Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA II
Optical Drive LG 22X DVD RW + Dual Layer SATA w/ Lightscribe Technology
SLI Video 1 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI HDTV
SLI Video 2 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI HDTV
Audio Realtek ALC883 8-channel 3D Audio
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Lan Network Card
Ports 6 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 Parallel, 1394a
Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (Blue)
Case Thermaltake CS M9 Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 650W Cooler Master Extreme Power SLI RP650PCAR

R

Ravahan

Time for a new one for me as well. i do not fell like building another so i just bought one instead. Will arrive in a few days.

What do you guys think of this system? Should be decent and i can add to it later.

I like the 2 gigs of video ram(2 videocards can add another is need be) and Quad core. I hope i can walk in KR now.

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz FSB 1333, 6MB, 45nm CPU
CPU Cooling ASUS Arctic Square CPU Cooling Fan
Memory 8GB DDR II 800 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston)
Motherboard ASUS P5N-D nVidia 750i Motherboard
Hard Drive 1 Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Serial ATA II
Optical Drive LG 22X DVD RW + Dual Layer SATA w/ Lightscribe Technology
SLI Video 1 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI HDTV
SLI Video 2 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI HDTV
Audio Realtek ALC883 8-channel 3D Audio
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Lan Network Card
Ports 6 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 Parallel, 1394a
Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (Blue)
Case Thermaltake CS M9 Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 650W Cooler Master Extreme Power SLI RP650PCAR

That looks sweet. I hope you got a 64 bit OS with it, though. What comes pre-installed? I ask because a lot of OEMs last I checked only sold 32-bit Vista.

That's actually the same drive I'll be buying (Seagate Barracuda), and I think I looked at that very model of power supply before deciding to go with something else a little less expensive with built in surge protection.

Grats to you! That will run KR and SA at the same time, and STILL be able to watch a DVD hehe