• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comprehensive guide to making purchases on UOStore Japan

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks like anyone is able to buy stuff from UOStore Japan all this while and we stumped ourselves thinking that a Japan address is required. I wished I'd figured this out during the last few promotions they had.

Note that Cal has mentioned that it will being coming to the US online store in 7-10 days.

Chissay reminds everyone that this is buy at your own risk. The US dev and customer support teams are not able to help if there's something wrong. (meaning you have to contact the Japanese customer support team for help)

But just in case, here's how to do it:

Setting up an account
  1. Go to the UO Japan page - http://ultimaonline.jp

2. Click on the icon on the top navigation bar that says UOStore

3. On this page, look on the navigation menu on the left and click on the link that looks like this:

Translated, it means "Register new account". And the link brings you to https://ultimaonline.jp/store/account_new.php

4. Use you UO Account name and password here. This ties in with the UO login servers and actually check if the UO account exists

5. Click the button on the right to "Accept"

6. This page asks if you previously had an account on the old EA Japan store. If you don't, tick the selection on the right to create a new account and click the "Next" button at the bottom

7. This is the place where people get stumped. Fill in your address. Does not matter if you don't have an address in Japan. Ignore the drop-down menu, it's to select the state/prefecture you are in, ie Hokkaido etc etc. Like non-US folks going to US sites and leaving their state as "Alabama". You leave it as default. Click confirm when done.

8. Verify details and click confirm. Make sure your email is correct, this is where your gift code will be sent to.

Buying stuff
  9. Now go shopping! I trust people know how to add stuff to carts etc

10. Select quantity

11. After selecting an item, it shows what's in your cart, click the second button to continue shopping and the first button to checkout

12. Next is the customary terms and conditions page. First button is "Do not agree". Second button is "Agree". Use a translator to translate the terms and read them. Babelfish is pretty ok - http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

13. Type in UO account and pw that you have registered earlier

14. Option highlighted by the blue box is "Pay by credit card". Fill in your CC number in the box provided. The other 2 methods are some electronic payment systems that's available only in Japan I think.

15. Summary of purchase, check and click confirm

16. IMPT!! This is where you get your item codes Save the page or copy down the codes!

Free gifts code will be emailed to you. But it's random which of the 3 types you are given.

Both the codes for the stuff you bought and the codes for the free gifts are just like your regular codes that can be claimed on any shard.

Had to run off to work, and didn't say this earlier -

Disclaimer: I do not work for EA US or Japan. I am just providing this guide in the spirit of sharing. Do not come to me if you made a typo/mistake :D

And be careful if you want to post screenies - always make sure you do not show info like your account name, personal details, and codes.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Addendum

This is what the email for the gift codes looks like:

The code is quite easily identified since it's the only alphabets/numbers you see.

If you screw up your email addy like I did :p , you can easily retrieve your gift codes this way:

1) Login to your account on UOStore

2) Click on "gift code verification" (where the big yellow arrow is pointing to in the pic below)

Quick note: If you didn't save the item codes for the stuff you bought, clicking on the "Purchase History" link will show you a list of all the orders you made. Click on the order number and it will bring you to a page that shows you the claim codes for your purchased items.

3) This will bring you to a page that shows you all your gift codes

Neon Dyes

Claiming the code gives 1 token, it can be anyone of the 3 types (new hairdyes, new bod cover colours, neon dyes), which one the code gives is random. This is what the one for neon dye looks like

Using this token gives you 3 more tokens

Using each of the token brings you to a menu where you can select which colour you want, woot! 50 charges, confirmed.

And this includes the TOT2 dyes as well! The site says all dyes will be 50 charges, so the TOT2 dyes should be 50 charges as well, but I'm not gonna claim the TOT2 dyes :D

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whilst very comprehensive, its also not needed as its allready been said that our site will have these codes soon. Also bear inmind if you buy from the Japan site that our site is losing revenue and could affect future stuff.

To be honest thou if i couldnt read a site i certainly wouldnt be clicking on anything as you dont know these days what your letting them have access to. Have you read there terms and conditions in Japanese?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I bought 2 7th character slot codes from there when the 3 pigment tokens promotion was around. If it's not still around. I have no idea why people thought you needed a Japan address :/

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Harlequin! I was geting stuck at the confirm part. Since Cal said they will be made available to us, I will wait till its up in the US store. I am still going to bookmark this thread. I didnt see anything in Cals post about ToT1 des being added to the US store, so I will probably be attempting to buy some dyes from the japanese store.

Thanks again and great job!

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody know if you can use your PayPal account? Or perhaps a one-time generated credit card number from PayPal?

I've never done the one-time card number thing, but I would definately be willing to try it out if I could purchase some of these neat things....somehow I bet I am going to have to recharge the old debit/credit card at the bank....

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no idea why people thought you needed a Japan address :/
I'd always thought so too...attributing it to mental block :p

I actually tried it before and got stumped at the stage where you need to select a prefecture in Japan and went "Damn! Can't proceed further..."

Didn't occur to me that Europeans and others have had this problem all along when they buy stuff from online stores in the States - The innocent little mandatory field that asks you to select a "State".

This time I thought hell with it, I'll just leave that as default and fill in my real address and see how it goes. And it worked!

I've previously stated in no uncertain terms regarding people needing an addy/CC in Japan to buy stuff there. Now that I know I was badly mistaken, I had to make reparations :D

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Harlequin! I was geting stuck at the confirm part. Since Cal said they will be made available to us, I will wait till its up in the US store. I am still going to bookmark this thread. I didnt see anything in Cals post about ToT1 des being added to the US store, so I will probably be attempting to buy some dyes from the japanese store.

Thanks again and great job!
Ohhhh Impt!! The free gifts are randomly selected from the 3 types of gifts - so you may not get the neon dyes.

I got a token for "BOD cover 2". I thought it was for 2 BOD covers, but it seems that they meant "Second round of BOD covers with brand new colours". Got a "Wyrm White" BOD cover, which is a new colour not foudn in the original BOD covers.

So folks may want to wait for the US store to see what offers they are giving.

S

Saris

Thanks, and for the nay sayers, if "our" site was more on the ball they would not have to worry about money.

realy though thanks for the info :thumbsup:

C

Chrissay_

One thing to add that this is a buy at your own risk situation.

US customer support will NOT be able to assist with these purchases. Nor the US dev team.

Our best advice is to wait until they come to the US store or purchase in game off of a player vendor.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are the codes from EAJapan in English, or something I'll have to translate?

Y

Yalp

Did I miss the explanation why they weren't released on both Japan and US sites on the same day?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the codes from EAJapan in English, or something I'll have to translate?
In English. See step 16 in the original post. The codes are in that box I labelled "Item Code". I masked mine out, not because I'd not collected them, but to save people from wasting their time and trying to see if they can still collect my code :D

Code given via email (like the gift code) is in English as well. You see some Japanese characters that thanks you for buying etc etc, but the code is in English, and you can spot it right away.

In both cases, you can copy it and paste directly into the gump that asks you to enter the promotional code in UO (you have created a "paste" macro in UO right?).

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I miss the explanation why they weren't released on both Japan and US sites on the same day?
Cal mentioned they intended to announce over the weekend that the new stuff will be brought over to the US Stores in 7-10 days.

But there was some miscommunication and the announcement did not go out as planned.

S

Stupid Miner

Hey, that's nice! Mind if I make a Stratics page with this info?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@PsychoKinetic
@christy1221
@Borric
@Saris
@Shelleybean
@IanJames
@StupidMiner
@T'Challa
@Wilde1
@Littleblue

You are all very welcome! :)

@StupidMiner: Please feel free to do so :) Let me know when you have uploaded the pics to stratics, I'll repoint my screenies to reduce the bandwidth usage on my photobucket mwuahahaha

For others that are unhappy in one way or another -

I made these 2 posts in the spirit of sharing. If I don't, someone else might post anyway and without knowing that we actually have a choice to buy them, we'd have another round of

1) people who starts screaming why these aren't available for the non-japanese players
2) why it's unfair the people with connections can xfer from the Japanese shards and sell it on the other shards for hundreds of millions (trust me, I thought about it too)
3) we're being slighted
4) they are getting preferential treatment
5) having it turned into a racial/ethnic thing

etc etc

Made worse because we could've made the purchases in all the past promotions all along - we were only limited by ourselves because we couldn't figure out how to get past a couple of screens.

I believe in fairness and in empowering people. I have given everyone the knowledge and tools to do this. It's up to you whether you want to make use of this info, but don't complain that it's unfair that only a certain group of people can get it etc etc

O

Oppurtunity

So these ladybug things, one-tile rugs and new hair dyes are coming to the uogamecodes.com in two weeksish (in reality, probably never?)?

O

Oppurtunity

I'll wait till like the 11th then. And if they're not available yet on uogamecodes, I'll purchase from the Japanese website. Will they still be available then?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll wait till like the 11th then. And if they're not available yet on uogamecodes, I'll purchase from the Japanese website. Will they still be available then?
Should be.

From the UOStore Japan page, the promotion period is from July 31st until August 14th 2009 (I'm guessing they mean Japan time, which is +9 GMT I think).

M

Merik

Whilst very comprehensive, its also not needed as its allready been said that our site will have these codes soon. Also bear inmind if you buy from the Japan site that our site is losing revenue and could affect future stuff.
Yeah like maybe they will get the stuff faster. Eajapan is always ahead of us. If that keeps happening our site will lose revenue and it is their own fault. Besides id rather buy from the Japan store because if they make more money they will come up with newer things to sell.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolute top quality post Harlequin, you the man! :D

I've ordered 4 hair dyes and will get them tonight when i get home from work

Thanks!!! :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolute top quality post Harlequin, you the man! :D

I've ordered 4 hair dyes and will get them tonight when i get home from work

Thanks!!! :)
Glad to be of service!

Btw, can you let me know what free gift tokens you got and also what you get once you dbl click the token?

I'm dying to know if we get the neon dyes, whether we can actually choose 3 of our liking :)

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to be of service!

Btw, can you let me know what free gift tokens you got and also what you get once you dbl click the token?

I'm dying to know if we get the neon dyes, whether we can actually choose 3 of our liking :)
Yes mate, i will report back this evening!

R

RavenWinterHawk

WELL I JUST CHARGED $6200. What the hell. I didnt know what i was doing.
I need a walk through to get a charge back.

Just kidding.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, it's a well thought out guide and I'm sure it took alot of time to create.

Crying shame though, you're paying for something you don't even really own.

I'd never do something like that, unless I HAD too........

:coco:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Updated the second post with a couple of things:

1) how the email with the gift codes looks like

2) how to retrieve your gift codes if you screw up (and the codes for the items you bought as well)

3) exactly how claiming the neon dye works

N

Nyte Doombringer

So i guess you would just do a conversion from Yen to your money such as EU, Sek, ect? If this is right I think it would be way cheaper for me to buy off the Japan site. Dunno though until we see the prices they will be in the UO Store

And also what do those ladybugs do actually?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i guess you would just do a conversion from Yen to your money such as EU, Sek, ect? If this is right I think it would be way cheaper for me to buy off the Japan site. Dunno though until we see the prices they will be in the UO Store
Yup, always check your conversion rates. We don't know how much the US store will charge for the new stuff, and what promotional items they will be offering.

Erm.....I have been holding off this until someone notices.....Players paying in Euros for gametime codes may want to take a careful look at the gametime codes and currency exchange rates.....

Just sayin.....

Note that gametime codes are not eligible for the free gifts though.

The bugs are decor only. I think they are light sources when their wings are opened. Didn't log in with a human char to test yet.

N

Nyte Doombringer

Ok so if you order the new hair dye, you get one of each bottle that is shown and same with the bodbook 2 dyes one of each, if you order it, not if you get it as a gift, i understand you get 1 random only then?

C

Chrissay_

And also what do those ladybugs do actually?
Generally the prices in the US store are right on par with the ones in the Japan store.

For example the single bod cover book on the Gamecode store is 3.25 that translates to 308.70 in Japanese Yen. The price on the Japanese store is 315 yen. Which is a difference of 17 cents USD.

However, the difference can change depending on what the exchange rate is. This is just an example from today's exchange rate.

Y

Yalp

good thinkin'.. don't forget if you pay via credit card you may be charged a foreign transaction charge on top of your actual purchase price... * cough cough* spank of america**

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good thinkin'.. don't forget if you pay via credit card you may be charged a foreign transaction charge on top of your actual purchase price... * cough cough* spank of america**
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even think about that.

S

Sweeney

Now that the mystery has been solved, EA north america would be smart to have all of the same items for sale, lest it lose out on the market share.

Decors

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody know if you can use your PayPal account? Or perhaps a one-time generated credit card number from PayPal?

I've never done the one-time card number thing, but I would definately be willing to try it out if I could purchase some of these neat things....somehow I bet I am going to have to recharge the old debit/credit card at the bank....
No you can't use PayPal.
EA Japan won't provide PayPal as a payment method cuz It's not popular service in japan.

Firedutch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can the codes that UO Japan emails you be used on any shard to claim? Or just on the Japanese shards? Sorry if I missed this but wasnt sure if I was going to need a transfer token to get them to my home shard.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can the codes that UO Japan emails you be used on any shard to claim? Or just on the Japanese shards? Sorry if I missed this but wasnt sure if I was going to need a transfer token to get them to my home shard.
Read the thread.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The codes are normal codes that you can claim on any shard, no need to use transfer tokens.

Apologies, I mentioned this in the other thread and not this one...

Post 29 here:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=150242

I'll add that in to this thread.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Page made: http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30994
It'll go up on Friday.
Didn't add the last part concerning the pigments because this is meant as a general guide to using the japanese store... and that part seemed obvious anyway.
Wonderful! Now I can boast that I contributed to a stratics guide without really writing the page mwuahahahaha, thanks for offering to do this SM! (oh, your initials are SM...)

2 additional requests -

1) Point 16, the red text is on red background, maybe it's better if the bg colour is not red (or maybe it's my browser)

2) Can the pics be hosted by stratics? My evil plan was to repoint the imgs in this post to stratics where there's no bandwidth constraints :p

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No you can't use PayPal.
EA Japan won't provide PayPal as a payment method cuz It's not popular service in japan.
Thank you for your reply. :)

No problem really, just saves me a trip to the bank, but I've since realized I need to go there anyway!

N

Nyte Doombringer

Well there was a ton of this stuff on one vendor on our shard. Its all gone now. Havent checked to see if they restocked. Ladybugs I think where 15mil each. I guess if you want to spend real money for game stuff and then sell it ingame its a good way to get UO gold without having to actually buy it from someone, if you need UO gold that is. Im a horder so I can never do anything like that; LOL

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry i miss something here or what?
at this picture:

at the last 2 black-lines you have to put your email,
but in the first black-line what you have to write?????

ps: ok in the first black-line you dont have to put nothing its just a summary.... :)

Z

Zodia

Ummmm. . . You guys know that you can buy these ladybug things off of the UOStore, American style, right? I just did. :spider:
Ummmm are you trying to be a smartass? This thread's last post was 2 days ago, when you couldn't buy them from the USA store. All we knew was they were coming "soon" which means "who knows".

Also, buy purchasing them from the Japan store you can get the FREE BONUSES that you can't get from the American store. But to do so now you need to use a Japan Proxy.