• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Complete noob facing 15 year learning curve..

E

Eykos

Hey guys.
I kind of wandered my way into here while I was out researching info on Paladins in UO..

I'm a long time MMO player, I've bounced around everything BUT Ultima since the Everquest days back in High School..

..I've been getting tired of WoW and EQ2, and I've never been much of a Diablo fan, so I sat around thinking "What haven't I played?" when it dawned on me..UO!

So, I downloaded the trial account, and made a character.
So far, I love it. It definitely "feels" fifteen years old, but in a good way.
It has a very simple, retro immersive quality about it.
Like, after fifteen years of being "alive", every bridge or house might have a history, some player died in it or sat under that tree and had a conversation with someone else, etc..
I mean, a lot of players passed across the streets you walk over a course of fifteen years..
The world just feels like it has an actual history.

Anyway, I've been wandering around Britain trying to get a "feel" for stuff.
I've still not figured out where exactly I'm supposed to get "tithing" points.
Maybe I skipped a tutorial or something on accident.
(I think I did, I hit "No" to something without paying attention)

I also tried to make a Mage, but it wouldn't let me cast spells, kept asking me for something, so I got frustrated and rage quit the character and went back to my Paladin.

I did buy a horse though. And a kilt.
And I found a graveyard in Britain where I attacked a zombie and got forced to retreat like a scared puppydog.

This is definitely my new "game". The specs are low enough on it, I can even run it on my laptop no sweat, which bodes well for my gaming-in-between-classes.

So, that's that. Good to be a part of probably the oldest and most loyal gaming community in the world.
-Eykos

Ah, also!
I'm on Atlantic, my character's name is "Gickendor".
I've got an eyepatch, I'm riding a gray horse, and I'm wearing a kilt.
..if you see me, you'll probably see a zombie chasing me. Do me a favor and kill it :)
If anybody has any time to spare to show a noob around, like I said, I'm sitting on fifteen years worth of "curve" here.
I'll check back in here tomorrow (today), I'm off to bed.
Night guys.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome!

For the mage it sounds like you need LRC suit.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello and welcome. Your timing is impeccable as a new, re-vamped, player guide has just been launched
Playguide | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

Additionally there are many, many experienced players both here and in game who will aid you to the best of their ability. Not to mention our own playguide information on http://uo2.stratics.com
As this forum is global, you might also consider a post on Atlantic shard board with a request for a mentor in game.

MagicStar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i play atlantic
if you have icq you can add me my # is 41598914
im always in the help channel and thats often a good place to ask questions
i know if im on and have the answer ill help out
even if i dont have the answer i can find it for you and show you how i found it

J

Joey Porter

I would also head to New Haven and make that my base city. It is designed for new characters, much easier to find NPC to train up all skills and there are always lots of vet players willing to help.

E

Eykos

Hey guys!
Thanks for all the responses!
I don't have ICQ, but I've read online that a lot of Ultima guys use it, so I'm guessing I'm downloading ICQ :)

And that guide helped tremendously.
Yeah, I would need an LRC suit for the mage (I looked it up) but I think I'm going to stick with my Paladin, I might make a Samurai or something, but I've been a Paladin in so many games for so long, it only seems right.
My name is Gickendor, like I said, and I'll probably be wandering around Britain/New Haven until I get the hang of things and get my skills up some.

If you see me around, say hi!
I'll get the ICQ up in a bit too.

E

Eykos

I called it quits on the Paladin and started rolling a Samurai, much much better.
His name is "Inigo Alatriste" if you see him/me around.

Also..never, for the love of all that is pure, EVER, attack one of those Wandering Healer guys.
I got turned to dust.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also..never, for the love of all that is pure, EVER, attack one of those Wandering Healer guys.
I got turned to dust.
Yeah, but they have human ears as loot ... if that isn't an incentive *g*

Lightning 1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inigo, you might find your way to a new 'town' called Oasis. In Malas, south of LUNA city along the road, is a central broken continent. The next to last south west island is Oasis. It was specifically made to get people up to speed. There are many who will help you, and some who will not, but at Oasis you can definitely ask for help. If no one is there at the time leave a message on the bulletin board at the south center 3 story white marble house, the with the Oasis Mayors Office sign on the front porch.

You might find this a very good start.