• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed Competition : Who is the biggest bully?

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Advance notice : THREE DAY TAMER EVENT

• Round One : Friday 2nd June
  • Round Two : Saturday 3rd June
  • Round Three : Sunday 4th June

10 pm British Standard Time / 5 pm Eastern Time

Changes are coming to taming. Some of us like change. But to some of us, it’s like a red flag to a bull.

So, get out there. Tame your bulls! Why? Is this just a lot of bull? No! Starting on Friday the 2nd of June, Siege will have a weekend of Bull Fighting!

You have more than a month to plan and prepare, so get training those bulls!

Gather together each evening to see whose bull is the biggest, the best, the toughest, in a last bull standing event!

Rules:

• Tamers may use anything they like directly on their bull. (healing, masteries, spells, etc)
  • Tamers may not attack the opposing bull, or its tamer. Doing so will result in disqualification.
  • Bulls may not attack opposing tamers. Doing so will result in disqualification.
  • A victory is earned when your bull kills your opponent’s bull.
  • Once a bull is dead, it will be removed from the arena, ready for resurrection.
  • Once a bull has died, it is out of the day’s competition, but can try again the next day.
  • Once a bull has died, the next competitor may enter the arena.
  • A bull stays in the arena until it is dead, unless its tamer wishes to forfeit.
  • At the end of day three (Sunday) the winners of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are invited to compete for the prize. If the same bull wins all three days, then they’ve already won.
  • The prize will be a trophy displayed at the Hall of Champions in Malas.
  • Gates to the arena will be made available. Watch town criers and General Chat for details.
  • The EM promises not to enter an Easter Bunny disguised as a bull.

Lastly, this is a bullfight. Only bulls allowed.
A gaman is not a bull. A boura is not a bull either. A dragon is definitely not a bull, even if it’s male.
There will be other tamer events in future. Chicken fights. Anything goes fights. Man vs Beast fights. Dragon fights. We can even have sewer rat fights if there’s enough demand!

But this one is a bullfight. Please don’t have a cow.

Continue reading...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh this one I like! I hope it's okay to come a bit late..all of the Siege Events are really at a bad time for me.....both kids get out of school at 3:00 and 3:45 respectively...I HATE missing events here but hopefully I will be able to attend this one :)

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just a thought, a trophy for the winner to take home, in addition to the one at the Hall, might spur a great many tamers into action

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
How much taming/lore to it take to tame and train a Bull?
Thinking of giving Freja a few more skills to play with.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks

It sounds like a fun event

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
At the end of day three (Sunday) the winners of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are invited to compete for the prize. If the same bull wins all three days, then they’ve already won.
A little problem with this part as it will be very late for EU players on a Sunday with work next day. Would it be possible to start earlier the Sunday only? Like 2 PM Est / 7 PM UK?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Kenzie went out and tamed three of the meanest, leanest Bulls from the lost lands, different color/patterns on all three. All those other bulls you find are to fat and lazy. ;) As soon as they bond next week I will begin training

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Tamers may use anything they like directly on their bull. (healing, masteries, spells, etc)
Not sure if this is a good idea..a good tamer can keep a pet alive indefinitely lol....should be fun though.

Just ONE Bull we need correct? Looks like I'll be adding some stats to the Bull page on the wiki, I think I've lored over 30 so far....bring it on Kenzie! ;)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
With regard to the first rule suggesting that players use whatever means they wish to heal their bull,
Not sure if this is a good idea..a good tamer can keep a pet alive indefinitely lol....should be fun though.
and in another thread,
This is what I suggested....train your bulls up and just let them fight until one of them dies, that's the best way to do it!
I don't object to players healing their pets, but if the contest is also about the skills of the tamer and the rules allow indefinite heals, then it is likely to be a very long event. And if heals are limited to say 10 times, or any other rules, then there is the matter of enforcing those rules. While the honor system does work more often than people might expect, my opinion is that simplicity is usually best. Let the beasts stand alone.

Having said that, if limited healing is permitted, I would suggest that the contestants be requested to arrive as a ghost, and collect their gear and supplies for the event AFTER being rezzed while in the arena, with an official (Royal?) backpack snooper to make sure an SB'd bandi tali didn't get sneaked in. That might just be years of Siege paranoia talking, though. I remember the Waka dueling events, where the audience could only attend as ghosts lol, to prevent anyone from interfering. In my opinion, however, taking such precautions simply removes the temptation and that is generally wise. It is the Siege way :)

If you max out fame/karma, the title of Lady/Lord can withstand a death for the winner's close-up! ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really do need to just let the bulls hammer it out without the interference of the tamer. Literally some of these fights could last server up to server down. I put the Bronze BullChitter and Black Balls at each other with no vetting, masteries or healing and it lasted nearly 2 hours before Bronze BullChitter busted Black Balls. That was just with their HPR at 20. Toss in Vet, Greater Heals, and mastery this is going to turn into a very boring event.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Perhaps the contest should be limited to 2 slot bulls or something, without any interference from the tamer? Too late now, of course, I suppose. What sort of abilities can a bull have? I cannot seem to find bulls listed on UO.com.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A time limit can be set, maybe? If both are still alive in 1 hour, whoever has the most HP wins?

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Just to clarify, as was suggested at the recent governors' meeting, the fights will take place in this way:

The tamer and their bull will enter the fighting pit.
The tamer can assist their bull for one minute in any way that they like, provided that action is only applied to their own bull.
Therefore, no attacking the opponent's bull with anything except your own bull.
After one minute, both tamers will move away from their bulls. They may still issue voice commands to their bulls.
To clarify that point, spamming "all follow me" and sprinting in circles around the arena is only funny the first time it's done.
Tamers, if one or both bulls approach you after the one minute mark, please move away from them so that you are not accused of cheating.
The last bull standing is the winner.

I did consider having tamers show up as ghosts, and being resurrected in the arena, but this allows for more creativity on the part of the tamers.
After that one minute mark, the bulls are on their own!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found a use for my Bull while waiting for the bull fights..... Tanking for my weaker pets :)

bull tanking.png

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I did bond a bull, but have not gotten around to training it in the slightest. Easy win for some one, if I enter it!

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I hope it's okay to come a bit late
I'm sure it's absolutely fine to come late as a spectator. And if you want to enter a bull, I would suggest a quick message to EM Kincaid to explain, and perhaps your pet could simply be one of the last to step into the ring.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Should be first, my bull won't last long!...I haven't had the time to train it..it's at like...42%.....against Tyrath? I don't stand a chance! LOL no fair going up against the power pet trainer!! ;)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I have yet to train the three I have bonded, I think I am sending them in as a package deal ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seriously thought about putting 120 wrestle and tactics on him... And then caught myself before the insanity of the moment took complete control. So he is just a basic trained bull with GM Skills. I went my balanced pet route with his training I think without looking I gave him like 400 HP 500 str 300 mana 20/30/30 HPR/SR/MR 80/80/45/80/80 resist and Piercing and poisoning. Have been really amazed at what he can go up against.

Took him on a Tour of the fan dancer dojo last night.... Fan dancer no problem, headless and horde minions yeah he bumps them and they die. Daemons dead fast. Succubus very hard fight for him and took quite a bit of healing he died 4x to them but did struggle through 10. Ronins easy. ONI was a lot easier than I expected. Balrons he struggled with and required healing but it was a lot easier fight than the Succubus.

Then we headed to the Yomatsu Mines he killed the warriors and priest without much vetting walking to the Shadow el occasionally hit those pockets where there would be 3-4 warriors and a priest or two tho times did take a pretty solid stream of bandages and greater heals. Before parking him on the shadow el I ran him down to the platform area where the one Elder spawns a good fight with the elders and they would regularly pull him down to 25% health before I would vet him back u

Then off to the Bandit Camp to test him against raiders. The Melee and Archer raiders long fights but he could hand 2 at a time. The Caster Raiders tore him up, between their hard hitting melee and constant dropping E bolts, Explosion and flamestrikes on him they were right up there with the succubus difficulty for him. I think the balrons dropped easier because they were more vulnerable to his Armor Ignores.

I figure there will be someone richer than I who will drop the 120 wrest, tact and anat on their bull and go STR and HP heay and skip the MR and SR save a few points by not capping resist and max the base damage and go with straight Armor Ignore. That will deliver a lot of intial burst damage that will most likely wipe my bull out. I need to build a all offense bull and put Bronze up against it to see how that works out. The balanced approach is best for hunting and sustained slug it out fights with most of my trains. Win lose or draw this should a fun event :)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe categories of bulls would be an idea? Lightweights and heavyweights, etc? But yep, I am looking forward to it!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe categories of bulls would be an idea? Lightweights and heavyweights, etc? But yep, I am looking forward to it!
Now that would be a great idea Untrained (Via the new training) as a class, and the each slot up counting as a competition class. That would level the field for everyone. TBH there probably are not going to be many bulls trained in both skill and stats, those that have fully trained bulls are going to be most likely very long fights and the winners will probably be which bull has the bigger mana pool and regen to to sustain the the spec moves and enough HP and HPR to absorb the opponents spec moves. Those bull would literally 1 hit kill a untrained bull and probably 2-3 hits on a partially trained bull. While the partial and untrained would not even be able to scratch the fully trained bull.

Not trying to put a damper on the event and TBH when I started training my bull I really did not expect to create a PvM mid level powerhouse. There is just going to be more of science in building champion bulls than there was pre pub 97 which is going to have a impact on everything from the chicken fighter to pretty much everything other than GDs and Shadow Wyrms. LOL train two chickens up and put 20 HPR on both of them and put them at each other and they will still be fighting 23.5 hours later.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well..I spent most of the day (And most of my gold!) Trying to raise money to get a ship I could put cannons on...hopefully I can complete my task and get my Bruce through at least the first round of training before the event. I have been using my Cu to tank for me but he gets WAY more gains then Bruce :(

Either way...I can't wait for this event, even if my Bruce dies in the first round it will be fun to watch!

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've been trying to get into the habit of taking at least one screencap of each event for my album, but I forgot again *sigh* The turn out was kind of small on this one, with a few spectators and 3 bulls. Tyrath's Bull Chitter won by a landslide lol. Hopefully more players will be available for tomorrow!

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator

It would be good to see more bulls out there!
We did hit a slight technical hitch with the arena, which will probably mean that tomorrow's event will be open air - but that was a good warm-up tonight.
Tomorrow, bring your best bull, or your worst bull puns!
Thanks to all who came, and special thanks to those who unexpectedly left resources in my mailbox! The wood went to good use for the seating, and so did the granite!
The pig on a spit is in the tavern, downstairs, and the massive pile of bandages came in handy too! Thank you all!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going to try and Generate some Competition for the Bronze BullChitter in the next two events. I am putting up a 500k purse to the bull that knocks the Bronze BullChitter out of the Tournament Tmrw evening........ If there is a bull out there that can :)

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No, thanks. Training is so tedious for me, whatever I try to train the pet on. The gains drop off very quick, I've yet to train the three pets I searched for for the new training.

And which pets actually CAN learn life leech?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, thanks. Training is so tedious for me, whatever I try to train the pet on. The gains drop off very quick, I've yet to train the three pets I searched for for the new training.

And which pets actually CAN learn life leech?
Ossein Ram and Tsuki Wolf off the top of my head

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
There will be some slight changes to the fighting - or at least to the location.
You see, I must confess that I do not fight a lot of people's pets indoors. Whenever any of my tame minions - no, not THOSE minions - have fought other players' pets, it has been in town or outside of town. I can count the number of indoor fights my pets have had on one hand, and still have fingers left over to summon that soulless monster under your bed.
So, it seems that the only sure-fire way to initiate a pet fight indoors is the "all guard me" method, and then go and punch your enemy's pet in the nose.
I don't know when this changed - back when the Wakayama clan were making Siege their home, there were plenty of pet fights indoors, and I remember many others over the years.

Anyway, "all guard me, pow!" is far from ideal. Live and learn, I guess.

So, I have set up a temporary seating arrangement outside the new combat arena, and added a few wooden logs to the ground, to give the bulls a bit more room to maneuver.
Please note that these boards do, unfortunately, affect line of sight, so you will need to start the fights standing on the normal cave floor.
The building is still there, the tavern is still stocked, and I have other plans for that building in the future, so all is not lost.
But tonight, it seems it will be a pleasant evening, so we can sit outside, enjoy the breeze, crack open a can of Red Bull, and enjoy the bull fighting!

I hope I'll see you all there - and that you'll all bring some bulls along!

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just in case anyone is thinking that missing Day One leaves them out of this event, I just wanna put out there that, as I understand this, each day has its own winners. So, even if you did not make it last night, it doesn't mean you cannot enter your bull tonight, or even just for tomorrow night, or both, or all three.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just in case anyone is thinking that missing Day One leaves them out of this event, I just wanna put out there that, as I understand this, each day has its own winners. So, even if you did not make it last night, it doesn't mean you cannot enter your bull tonight, or even just for tomorrow night, or both, or all three.
I am training up 4 bulls and leaving the 3-4 slot points open for the new owners to spend. Sadly Due to RL issues I was not able to finish them for todays event. However if anyone wants one For Sundays event I will be happy to give you one. More than enough time to train its skills up Tmrw Morning before the event. Some have slashing, some have piercing some have AI and NErve strike and one just has massive STR and HP. I will probably toss them on my NM Pet stall for like really Really cheap in the morning.

They are the four in the picture above.

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Disclaimer : This does not mean that I am taking on the role of shard reporter. I'm perfectly happy as EM. But, I did take a few pictures, and it would be a shame not to share them with you .

When the competitors and spectators first arrived, there were strangely coloured cows, and a few normal looking ones, wandering around. The poor things didn't last long.

Tyrath's Bronze Bullchitter made short work of Tanager's mascot, and we all had fresh burgers.

Kenzie arrived with a small herd in tow. I was going to say that it is supposed to be one-on-one, but the herd didn't last long.

It was starting to look as if this was a one-bull race, but then The Professional showed up, with Apis.

And Bronze Bullchitter bit the dust!

And there was much rejoicing, and eating of beef. Then Tanager decided to see if Apis really was as tough as he claimed to be.

Another challenger arrived!

The mighty Bruce!

But, the Mighty Bruce ended up dying alone in the stands.

Which left Apis as the reigning champion!

So, that was the end of the bullfighting. Sargatanza decided to prove that he was tougher than any bull - and he was, but only barely.

Thank you to everyone who came, and I look forward to the third and final night of our first pet event since the new system went live!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats on Beating the Bronze BullChitter *The Professional* :) I do have one small suggestion for the EM have some of the future Tournament without masteries and let those be about the pets not who has the tame 3 and the best MR/MI. And nope not complaining or sour grapes I lost fair and square under the rules :) Just see it being a obstacle to newer folks to the shard that can't afford or can't farm up a TM3. And under this tournaments rules they could have the best pet in all of UO and not stand a snowballs chance of winning against a TM3 Tamer. And yes I personally like it being about the pets not about who has the best Mastery level and the high MI and MR to keep the mastery going. Fun event though win or lose :)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not just that Tyrath but he decided it would be a good idea to put 120 Wrestling and Tactics on it!

Apis.jpg

That is ONE bad mamma jamma!

For smaller pets like this, I think it's best if Kincaid did a tiered system...untrained, first stage trained, second stage trained and uber insane trained LOL

BullChitter is pretty insane but Professional took it one step further and put scrolls on his...which makes it a pretty decent pet!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not just that Tyrath but he decided it would be a good idea to put 120 Wrestling and Tactics on it!

View attachment 67631

That is ONE bad mamma jamma!

For smaller pets like this, I think it's best if Kincaid did a tiered system...untrained, first stage trained, second stage trained and uber insane trained LOL

BullChitter is pretty insane but Professional took it one step further and put scrolls on his...which makes it a pretty decent pet!
BBs Regens compensated for the scrolls, Zeke my other bull is pretty much identical to Pro's and BB beats him 3 out 5 sparring matches. Why I went with Mongbat and BB instead of Tyrath and Zeke. Was not thinking about throwing consume into the mix :) But is it about the pet or is it about the Mastery level and Suit the tamer is wearing. Again no sour grapes I lost fair and square but these are questions worth asking for future events IMO.

LOL Zeke BTW Has 120 Wrestle, Tact, Anat, and Parry that is complimented by his tricked on 100 bushi from Nerve stike. What he lacks are the regens.