• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed Competition Time! Redesign the EM Hall

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Architects of Siege! Your EM calls upon your skills!

(The last submission date for entries is
the 28th of May 2017)​

The time seems right to redesign Siege’s House of Commons (also known as “The EM Hall”). For those who do not know, this is the building to the north of Britain’s moongate, surrounded by various trees and flowers, and currently resembling a Victorian Cathedral.

While I have nothing against Victorians or Cathedrals, I cannot find a single mention of either in Siege’s history books. Therefore, I believe we need a building that is representative of Siege Perilous.

First and foremost, this is a meeting hall. That single requirement should be central to your design. When considering your design, please keep the following needs/wants in mind:

• I would like a speaking point from which to address players before events. This area should be positioned in such a way that everyone in the room can hear what is being said, and possibly be fenced off/raised. Use your imaginations! .Farspeakers can be used, but a design that does not rely on them would be preferable.
• Enough room / seating for a roomful of players. (Feel free to design something out of the way for players pets as well, if you like)
• An area to display trophies, or other items relating to recent/current events. This does not replace the Hall of Champions in Malas – this is more of an ever-changing display of the last ten to twenty event drops, or event-related books, and an area for new players to get some idea of recent events.
• A private area for me (the EM) to safely store and access event-related items for quick retrieval.
• The house size will be 18×18. Please try to make maximum use of all available space.

Designs can be submitted via email. Feel free to make use of the Test Center for experiments. If you do use TC, please submit the location of your house. It would help if it was public, but it does not HAVE to be. Screenshots can be sent to [email protected].

Please do not make excessive use of granite and goza mats unless you are prepared to donate the resources to the cause. The same applies to house add-ons.

The final decision as to the winning design rests with Mesanna.
The winning architect will be honoured by means of a plaque on the front of the hall – so please leave space for a plaque!

Continue reading...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I keep getting an error when I try to e-mail, says the e-mail address is not recognized :(

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Anyway...since I'm still fairly new to Siege I'll post the picture here, I added more walls then I would have liked to but...considering this is Siege lol :/

This house is actually on the shard, up in Trinsic Swamps next to a castle owned by Zero Fox Given. The house is open to the public.
SiegeHall.jpg

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ohhh Tardis!!!

And yes, that's exactly what I did Otto...DOH! lol thanks!

And thanks Tanager...I wanted it more open but I didn't think that was such a good idea..so I did the best I could lol :)

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Screw modern. I actually have some plans in mind, but lighthouse theme is a very nice option. Maybe something closer to Bioshock mix of lighthouse, underwater and art-deco.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My first design was a failure lol, so I let this challenge rest in the back of my mind for a while. But today my muse had an idea, so I'll probably be on TC1 most of the day.

Can anyone tell me the exact range of tiles for normal speaking, and for shout? "One screen" is not accurate.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not sure on that one but I took a second account to the one I built and sat at every seat and could hear just fine from the balcony area. Best bet is to test it that way, it also depends on walls, height etc.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A friend helped me test my previous design, which also featured a balcony to speak from (tho it was an indoor one). But the rail got in the way of hearing for those on the level below, at the bottom of the step seating, and the normal speech range seemed to be limited to about 6 or 7 tiles. I have misplaced the paper I wrote the info on *sigh*. I do not have a 2nd account, so I need another volunteer I guess.

Speech range seems to be smaller than I was anticipating, and I was trying to design the meeting area so that not only could the EM be heard by everyone, but everyone could hear everyone else. But that is a surprisingly small space, so I suppose I shall have to abandon that notion. I am determined, however, to make that work if people shout.

Sargatanza

Journeyman
I start work at the test center...
Please choose betwin two variations, thet i figure out in my head and will concentrate on: 1 - house in "head" style, like a HUGE copy of bone helmet; 2 - house, completely in UO style, no modern, no "flying applications", clean and gorgeous place?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I can help you test it later if you want.

In my design,

This is the max distance for normal speech from East/West:
Normal Speech.jpg

If I yell, I can hear from this distance:
Yelling.jpg

Unfortunately the railing won't allow you to walk all the way to it, you have to stand by the door...that can be remedied by possibly making the balcony-area jut out just a bit..but from there I can hear with normal speech all the way to the wall, which means the EM will be able to hear everyone no matter where they are sitting in this particular design.
normalbalc.jpg

so yelling distance looks to be pretty big, if I can hear a yell almost the entire length of an 18x18.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My house wastes too much space I think, but I am going to send in the design anyway lol, cuz it's been fun! My prodo chars have been stripped to uselessness by now, but you can copy one over to TC with their deco and resources intact. I copied one over with granite, for example, cuz I didn't want to go mining and it isn't provided in the resources box. I think my next Deal or No Deal winnings will be claimed on prodo, so I can just buy things and then copy them to TC1 in the future.

Thank you for the info! I thought normal speech was smaller, but looks like 10 tiles in your pic, which is great news! Also, the last one shows a player on the bottom floor and one in the balcony. Those characters can hear each other? Because the design that I had, the ppl on the floor (or 2 steps up the stairs) could not hear the balcony. I have already abandoned the balcony element in my design, but I am curious for future reference.

Please choose betwin two variations, thet i figure out in my head and will concentrate on: 1 - house in "head" style, like a HUGE copy of bone helmet; 2 - house, completely in UO style, no modern, no "flying applications", clean and gorgeous place?
I think the helmet idea would look very neat, but for this contest I think they are looking for an Ultima themed design. But there are certainly helmets in UO, so do whatever tempts your muse!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Great job all involved. I like to see a community come together on a project like this. :)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I put the balcony in because that was one of the things Kincaid had said he would like to have in the design...something along those lines anyway!

And yes EM and Players can hear each other.

CAn you.jpg

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Beautiful!

It is a lovely layout. Mine was indoors, so that must have effected it somehow. I love how open and spacious your design is.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thanks! I just hope it's not TOO open..I know that Kincaid won't allow fighting in or around the building....I have put up more walls then I would have liked but you can't be too careful!

Sargatanza

Journeyman
Wow, spend more then four hours today, and plan to continue, but wow, i start like thet building, looks mmmmmmm

Sargatanza

Journeyman
I can help you test it later if you want.

In my design,

View attachment 67122

If I yell, I can hear from this distance:
View attachment 67123

Unfortunately the railing won't allow you to walk all the way to it, you have to stand by the door...that can be remedied by possibly making the balcony-area jut out just a bit..but from there I can hear with normal speech all the way to the wall, which means the EM will be able to hear everyone no matter where they are sitting in this particular design.
View attachment 67124

so yelling distance looks to be pretty big, if I can hear a yell almost the entire length of an 18x18.
Me'em, our view on "how should look EM Hall" very very close....

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards

on TC 1 feel free to drop by and look inside. 1st floor meeting area, 2nd floor for the trophies, 3rd floor private area, house is 18x18

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yeah I put the balcony in because that was one of the things Kincaid had said he would like to have in the design...something along those lines anyway!

And yes EM and Players can hear each other.

View attachment 67126
Larisa, I like your design but believe I would choose a different kind of walls, this walls looks a little simple/cheap for an EM house, maybe the black stone walls and stairs to fit EM Kincaid evil side :devil:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
LOL Freja...he does have a dark, evil side doesn't he?

I don't like the walls either....my goal was to make it as simplistic and ~Plain~ as possible so the deco will be what makes it pop. Use plants with Siege colors, I have a few display cases now on the bottom floor but pedestals would work...stone blocks would work..I have been mining granite but have yet to start a carpenter here.

I am a big fan of deco and I think the actual building itself is only part of it. Something plain can turn into whatever you can imagine..like a blank canvas and a palette of paints :) I just need more paint! ;)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So many nice ideas! Mesanna is going to have a challenge to pick just one.

I have a house on Test.
I like your design, too! Lots an lots of room for EM Trophies, and a very spacious meeting area.

on TC 1 feel free to drop by and look inside.
I wasn't able to get to your place :( I might hunt down a rune on prodo and copy it over later. From what I can see in the pic tho, I would feel very secure should Soulless Minions be leering at us through the windows during a meeting!

I am a big fan of deco and I think the actual building itself is only part of it. Something plain can turn into whatever you can imagine..like a blank canvas and a palette of paints :) I just need more paint! ;)
What are you looking for in particular? I'm sure Siege has plenty of spare deco and crafting materials/crafters to help you out, and to use for yourself after the contest.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I wasn't able to get to your place :( I might hunt down a rune on prodo and copy it over later. From what I can see in the pic tho, I would feel very secure should Soulless Minions be leering at us through the windows during a meeting!
give me a shout when a good time to meet over there. The roof is not good, I am very bad with making roofs, and I did not copy a lot of deco over for this, Just the bare facts and the minimum items needed to show a general idea inside. I used large crates to be a stage area, and wood benches on the first floor. 2nd floor I put lots and lots of places for any goodies the EM wishes to display. The 3rd floor as he requested a place to store items for events. The outside area, where the water works are, is for a small garden area and a location to place a moongate or two. A stable Master could also be placed here

Last edited:

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am in game now if you like. I think I am finally done! And there can never be too many gardens ;)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No worries, I did not reply for couple hours, so I wasn't expecting instant response lol

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Found it, thanks!

Lots of space, which is good. You gave Kincaid a lot more personal space than I did lol. I am a little confused by the crates tho. Are they just to mark the place where he stands, or is he meant to stand on them like a stage somehow? I did not bring much deco over, but I have all the crafting recipes eaten if you'd like some things whipped up.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The crates mark the stage area since you cannot make a stage with height. And I have skilled crafters on TC, just to lazy to make a bunch of chairs/benches. He asked for a place where he could stand and speak to the people but they could not get to him. I went with the stone plasters look because one of the oldest house in game is made that way.