• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Competition is coming...Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trebr Drab

In coming months, maybe a year or so, there's at least two games that are very similar to UO coming out. I won't say who, wouldn't be right to do that here. Both of these games are in beta. I was in one of them.

But the point is that UO is running out of time. I'm wondering if it hasn't already started due to the betas.

Devs, I really think you all need to come up with your plan, and get the news out what you are doing. Where UO is going.

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In coming months, maybe a year or so, there's at least two games that are very similar to UO coming out. I won't say who, wouldn't be right to do that here. Both of these games are in beta. I was in one of them.

But the point is that UO is running out of time. I'm wondering if it hasn't already started due to the betas.

Devs, I really think you all need to come up with your plan, and get the news out what you are doing. Where UO is going.

Here we go again, another UO is doomed thread, anyone know if we have reached the 1 million post on the death of UO yet :D

T

Trebr Drab

lolwut? Why wouldn't it be right? I'll say one of the two right now: Mortal Online. I guess I'm going to hell now.
No, MO is not one of them. They'd be part of the "maybe more" that I insinuated with "at least". But MO is too much FPS to be considered like UO, IMO.

T

Trebr Drab

Here we go again, another UO is doomed thread, anyone know if we have reached the 1 million post on the death of UO yet :D
Your candle is burning down, sir. Take a look around your shards. Look at the open housing spots that weren't there a short time ago. Notice the lack of vendors that used to be in places outside of Luna. Look at your shards message boards here and note the low posts of late.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you would, will you pm me the names? Looking for another game to waste another 10 years on. :p

T

Trebr Drab

If you would, will you pm me the names? Looking for another game to waste another 10 years on. :p
No, sorry. I didn't post this to lead business away from UO. I'm just trying to give the Devs a kick to get interest back in UO.

These other games should be hitting the news later this year. So you'll be able to get into them if you want. But I could be wrong on my time estimates, you know how these things go with MMOs.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I always find winter to be slow months

B

Beer_Cayse

Frankly, if anything else comes along that has the sandbox environment of UO I will be surprised. However, my big gripe is the online/in-game support - essentially anything can be better than EA ATM.

T

Trebr Drab

Just like Darkfall ?
Who knows, maybe it'll turn out that way. I know one of them might, in the PK sense. But their main guy said he had no intentions of letting that happen, so I'd expect a justice system added if it takes that turn. Otherwise, it is very, very much like UO and they've even stated they are after that old UO feel. They have full 3D and you can chop wood from trees or mine ore from rock, and they even have "items on the ground". And it ran very smoothly for me, but with very low numbers of testers on. It's an early beta, so it's hard to say how it turns out.

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your candle is burning down, sir. Take a look around your shards. Look at the open housing spots that weren't there a short time ago. Notice the lack of vendors that used to be in places outside of Luna. Look at your shards message boards here and note the low posts of late.

I am too busy having fun, to notice, I rarely go to Luna, hate the place, it is a total eyesore.

As for my shard, Europa, seems ok to me, I see plenty of new players coming in to UO and old players returning, and as someone already stated winter is always the slow times for things.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Got to agree, "every" game these days are looking for that "old uo feel" except that feel failed lol, everyone seems to forget that little fact.

Also it always slows down during winter as far as "play" and most of the "vanishing" of houses I have noticed is people moving from one place to another (such as into Ter mur). Yes I play on 3 or 4 shards that I know very well, Atl is doing just fine and the other 3 are as I described, no loss of players Just people moving around, and vendors are simply becuase of the lack-luster time of the year. I tend to find may is when things start to pick up (possibly becuase of schooling in various regions of the US?).

Either way lots of games have come and gone, only 2 or 3 can even come close to claiming success and only 1 of them can actually claim it. Is it becuase they are better games? No not really, it wont particularly matter how good a game is, it has to pull people in and keep them there long enough for others to arive, you will find one of the key points in any MMO type game is having others to play with, while yes more than a fair share of people should prolly be playing a console single player game, the majority of MMO players are playing for that interactive feel, they may not want to interact with others but they know they are there (unsociable people xD)

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

THANK YOU!

OMG! If you weren't here. No one else.. none of the other players or devs would have known. Seriously man, you are the only one who looks at every other game coming out hoping it will save us from hanging on the fumes of UO 1999. Wow.. The devs are now informed and they will work magic to turn a **** stain of a game into a full blown piece of ****..

:grouphug:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got 3 extra accounts u can use. If you want to **** around and check it let me know.
Alright, cool. I might check it out sometime. If so I'll pm you or something.

R

Rainfo X

OMG! UO is like 10 years old and you think naming two new releases of MMOs that probably won't be nearly as successful as UO will actually hurt UO right now? Get out of here! :lol:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG! UO is like 10 years old and you think naming two new releases of MMOs that probably won't be nearly as successful as UO will actually hurt UO right now? Get out of here!
Not to be anal, but it's 12.

F

five oclock

Na. We passed the million mark Years ago...I think we are working on the 10 million now :D

B

Beer_Cayse

er, Sept 1997 was UO release. However, I tend to agree with you. During m UO time, I've done closed and open betas of MMOs ... most died within a year of release for various reasons.

However, it is a known fact UO is dated in many aspects of appearance. The fact we may have a near-perpetual beta of the EC (KR before that for 3 years?) says someone does need to get a grip on UO and simply update it the right way. <shrug>

Sounds like rock vs hard place to me for the Devs.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I see 2 on a LONG list of upcoming MMO's that *might* have a shot at actually making it to gold pressing, and that's just because they have respected development houses working on them -

1) Dark Solstice - mechanic wise, looks very similar to UO... graphics wise, it's not 3d, but slightly upgraded UO 2.5d. The screenies look a LOT like Dungeon Master meets Zelda... coming from Black Masque games.

2) Blade and Soul - from the same people that brought Lineage. A martial arts-centric MMO. Arguably the 2nd most popular set of MMO's, ever, all they are likely to attract, en masse, are those that played the original 2 Lineage games to begin with. Coming from NCSoft.

There's a LOT of MMO's out there in development - there's no deep, dark secret on where to find the information - THIS being a good start.

UO's been chicken little'd since about November of 97 or so... The sky still appears to be overhead, and the sun's still shining....

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ZOMG. Lame.

Elder Scrolls Online.. Thats one of them.

Posting threads and witholding threads is lame Trebr.. -1
Ya, I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait to see Elder Scrolls Online bomb. It's gonna be another vanguard and warhammer.. It was a terrible singe player game and MMO wise its just gonna be hilarious..

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait to see Elder Scrolls Online bomb. It's gonna be another vanguard and warhammer.. It was a terrible singe player game and MMO wise its just gonna be hilarious..
The problem with Vanguard was Sony - it was released WAY too earlier, with an incredible amount of bugs, and having system requirements that left a lot of people out of the loop. They've since squashed far more bugs than have been introduced, and their sub rate appears to be increasing.

And if Bethesda actually handles all aspects of the yet to be announced ESO, I seriously doubt it will bomb... ES 1-4 was one of the most popular fantasy series of all time... and I'd dare say, that all 4 games, with their accompanying expansions, had fewer bugs combined than UO did on the SA release alone... And I personally felt they did an incredible job with FO3 - so much so that I'd love to see them re-do and re-release 1-2.5... and I'd pay the premium retail for them.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In coming months, maybe a year or so, there's at least two games that are very similar to UO coming out.
Why would you make this thread without naming the games? The only way to encourage competition is to have an actual sample. Ideas aren't threatening until they're set in motion. Might as well say in the coming months, maybe a year or so, there's at least two pop singers founded by Disney that will appear in films.

In other words, this thread is useless without links and/or pictures.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Terrible single player game? More like someone has terrible taste in games.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know how one nearly every YouTube video you ever watch, you invariably see the "Did he die?" comment? That's what the UO is Doomed threads feel like to me now.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every time I see 'empty vendors' cited as proof that uo is dying I get a guilty conscience. My vendors have been badly neglected lately.

I'm too busy doing other stuff in uo to stock them.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Terrible single player game? More like someone has terrible taste in games.
/clap

Thats a remarkably creative response. You've changed my thoughts completely.. I'm now so upset with myself for having bad taste, I almost want to kick my own ass. Thank you for making me see the light.....

/sarcasm off

Any RPG that holds your hand through out the game completely ****ing sucks. The game is built so little A.D.D kids can just follow the arrows and get everything done. Inevitably, unless you have down syndrome, you get to the end with ease. The game is beat, the game play was **** I have more fun playing solitare and setting ignorant jack-asses straight on forums... but thats just me..

The game just sucks.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just like Darkfall ?
Darkfall is a great game and i enjoy it very much, its like UO with felucca only and no insurance, many UO players from 97-99 play darkfall, its like the ultimate griefing game although i don't even pvp that much in it, very similar to UO in many aspects which makes it fun

MO is fail, and i never heard of other games similar to UO coming out so i don't think they're worried, do you really think that people who have played UO for years and years would quit for anything else...

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Competition is coming...De

The problem with Vanguard was Sony - it was released WAY too earlier, with an incredible amount of bugs, and having system requirements that left a lot of people out of the loop. They've since squashed far more bugs than have been introduced, and their sub rate appears to be increasing.

And if Bethesda actually handles all aspects of the yet to be announced ESO, I seriously doubt it will bomb... ES 1-4 was one of the most popular fantasy series of all time... and I'd dare say, that all 4 games, with their accompanying expansions, had fewer bugs combined than UO did on the SA release alone... And I personally felt they did an incredible job with FO3 - so much so that I'd love to see them re-do and re-release 1-2.5... and I'd pay the premium retail for them.
Don't even bring up that BS 'its a big name' argument. Ask Star Wars how their game went. Like every game it will come out with one aspect that is revolutionary but 2 or 3 big features will be jacked up and everyone will play it for 2 months and start bleeding all over the forums. The odds are against it, out of all the MMOs you can really only make an argument that 4 have been successful.. 3 of them are, and have been, on their way out.. Wow, sadly, being the reigning champ.. ESO wont touch it.. the ES games had good lure, unfortunately that does jack **** for an MMOs.. god forbid they try and touch the pvp market.. If they do, it will most definitely bomb..

Please,, if you don't know jack **** about the game, don't bother posting it. My best friend just started making an MMO.. watch out for that one too.. He says its the next WoW killer... Everyone should start hermiting their accounts and get rdy to bail on UO...

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off, talk is cheap, prove what you say. There's too many airbags on stratics.....or have the stones to name names.

Man I wish I had a nickel for everytime someone said UO is doomed, blah, blah, blah......I'd be retired.

Also note, vendors are empty because they are being used as personal bankers.

Enjoy your 15 minutes in the limelight, and if need be, another game to waste time on.

later

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats a remarkably creative response. You've changed my thoughts completely.. I'm now so upset with myself for having bad taste, I almost want to kick my own ass. Thank you for making me see the light.....

Lmao.

E

eekamouse

Darkfall is terrible. I played it for about 3 months..... 3 months too long.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkfall is terrible. I played it for about 3 months..... 3 months too long.
LIES!!!LIES!!!

IMHO! Darkfall was an amazing game.. I'll even go ahead and say the first 2 months of Darkfall blew the first 2 months of UO out of the water. The end game of Darkfall was never beta tested and once the higher magic was obtained **** got ugly.

The sieges in that game were amazing. Absolutely amazing.. I still have my accounts active and waiting for next update. If the DF 2010 patch sucks I'll probably give up on it. But the game play in the beginning was outstanding.. Too many skills to not have a cap and the character creation is far to slow for their system. If their was a cap on skills the templates would really make that game great... but I'm willing to see what the game becomes after the patch.

Just curious, what guild did you roll with?

Status
Not open for further replies.