• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comparison - fire steed vs lesser hiryu vs nightmare

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to share some my finding in hope to get any clues on fire steed build.
Basic note - I took resists and stats, applied training weight and got values.

• fire steed - mount, 2 slots, 1 native ability, good pet stats worth 2900 points. Can be trained plus 1501*3 more points
  • lesser hiryu - mount, 1 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 2400 points. Can be trained plus 1501*4 more points
  • (bonus) 2 slot nightmare - mount, 2 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 2500 points (+1501 if you add magery). Can be trained plus 1501*3 more points
  • (for comparison only) 3 slot nightmare - mount, 3 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 3300 points (+1501 if you add magery). Can be trained plus 1501*2 more points

Summary for max trained pets:
  • fire steed - about 7400 points
  • lesser hiryu - about 8400 points
  • 2 slot nightmare - 8500 points with magery, 7000 points if you change magery to other ability.
  • 3 slot nightmare - 7800 points with magery, 6300 points if you change magery to other ability.

So, if I need magery casting mount - 2 slot nightmare is a winner.
If I don't need magery - lesser hiryu is better than other two pets in this comparison. Plus it can learn bushido.

Question is - does fire steed worth training or not?

Last edited:

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
How accurate is this when you factor in hidden values such as a creatures "base" MR? I know the lesser hiryu has a higher MR rate than other creatures. Is it hire than the Fire steed and nightmare?

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hiryu has a higher MR rate compared to nightmare because its depends on base int. Each 400 int is equal to 1 mana per second. Have you lored swoop or paragons? They have MR in lore screen.
Only hidden values we not see in lore screen is pets music skill and maybe few others.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Hiryu has a higher MR rate compared to nightmare because its depends on base int. Each 400 int is equal to 1 mana per second. Have you lored swoop or paragons? They have MR in lore screen.
Only hidden values we not see in lore screen is pets music skill and maybe few others.
Some other posts have been mentioning that certain creatures have innate mana regen, outside of int/med/focus etc. I just remember the lesser hiryu being one of them. This was in comparison with Dragons and Greater Dragons, who have more int than lesser hiryu's but have worse mana regen?

Check out the thread "New Changes and stats" for more info. I believe thats where it was being discussed - along with the recent "tweaks".

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the fire steed is really only superior against a single mob known to be weak in fire resist...

Personally I am really liking my trained lesser hiryu. IMO it is the best all around replacement for the GD as an awesome tank and damage dealer. His stats can be seen here:
Successfully Trained Pet Thread

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some other posts have been mentioning that certain creatures have innate mana regen, outside of int/med/focus etc. I just remember the lesser hiryu being one of them. This was in comparison with Dragons and Greater Dragons, who have more int than lesser hiryu's but have worse mana regen?
May compare this on TC1.
150int GM med/focus nightmare had about 3.5mana/s
700int GM med/focus nightmare had about 5.0mana/s

ADD: its with max MR training applied.

Last edited:

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
May compare this on TC1.
150int GM med/focus nightmare had about 3.5mana/s
700int GM med/focus nightmare had about 5.0mana/s
I'd give it a look - the difference is there, but the way they were chatting in the other thread it seemed like specific creatures had super innate MR - not related to INT or Med/Focus. It's also been "tweaked" several times now. Nerfed to uselessness and then improved slightly from what others are saying.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was a bit skeptic when people said that certain pets had innate mana regen that can't be explained by intelligence or skills like med/foc.
Then again, I've never really worked on a Hiryu, because I'm running on the EC and just can&t stand how they look there.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think, not postive, but i think pets get the 200/300 skill lower mana bonus like humans do. Since Wrestle wouldnt count, a pet could only get this in Bushido, parry, ninja, and poisoning. So a Cu Sidhe spamming Armor ignore only has parry, no lmc bonus. Whereas a pet with poisoning or bushido with parry will receive the lower mana bonus.

Again, just speculation, no testing.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to share some my finding in hope to get any clues on fire steed build.
Basic note - I took resists and stats, applied training weight and got values.

• fire steed - mount, 2 slots, 1 native ability, good pet stats worth 2900 points. Can be trained plus 1501*3 more points
  • lesser hiryu - mount, 1 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 2400 points. Can be trained plus 1501*4 more points
  • (bonus) 2 slot nightmare - mount, 2 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 2500 points (+1501 if you add magery). Can be trained plus 1501*3 more points
  • (for comparison only) 3 slot nightmare - mount, 3 slots, 2 native abilities, good pet stats worth 3300 points (+1501 if you add magery). Can be trained plus 1501*2 more points

Summary for max trained pets:
  • fire steed - about 7400 points
  • lesser hiryu - about 8400 points
  • 2 slot nightmare - 8500 points with magery, 7000 points if you change magery to other ability.
  • 3 slot nightmare - 7800 points with magery, 6300 points if you change magery to other ability.

So, if I need magery casting mount - 2 slot nightmare is a winner.
If I don't need magery - lesser hiryu is better than other two pets in this comparison. Plus it can learn bushido.

Question is - does fire steed worth training or not?
God... how LH are one slot is beyond me. The stat based slot thing makes zero sense.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Can't say I understood how you worked out the points in the first post (don't have the time to try to either sorry lol) but based on that points system, isn't a Fire Beetle better than a Fire Steed... breath isn't a hugely useful special as it disrupts dps, the steed has (something like) 10 phys 90 fire dmg. Everything else will max out at the same (str/base dmg) and the beetle can have rune corruption. I'm not too familiar with all the testing that's been done yet so don't know, just asking?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the fire steed is really only superior against a single mob known to be weak in fire resist...

Personally I am really liking my trained lesser hiryu. IMO it is the best all around replacement for the GD as an awesome tank and damage dealer. His stats can be seen here:
Successfully Trained Pet Thread
I agree 100%. LH's are my favorites so far. Plus you forgot the best part. They are mountable.