• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comp Help Please

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

Connor_Graham

I've still got 2 issues with my comp setup that I need some help with. I'm hoping someone here can assist me as the manufacturer is no help at all and I'm not getting any responses in the Tech forum.

1. I have a Motorola 2210 dsl modem connected to a D-Link wireless router. For some reason the router "forgets" the correct password for my dsl service and I have to keep resetting it every time I restart it, and even then it can take 3-4 tries before I get an internet connection. What can I do to fix this?

2. Has anyone here used Norton Ghost to create boot discs? I have a copy of the 2003 version and need to use it to make a boot disc for the new comp and have no clue how to use it. Reading the very thick instruction booklet did nothing but confuse me more. It was mentioned that Windows 7 has a boot disc function built into it, but I have no clue how or where, so if someone knows something about this so I can avoid having to use the ghost that would be great.

Thanks!

O

Old Man of UO

Connor, I posted this in the Tech forum about your first question. It may help, not too expensive.

========================================================
Connor... I just installed an Actiontec DSL modem with wireless modem in one small box. I got it at Best Buy for $80. This one has only Wireless G, but N versions are available if you have other computers on the wireless that need large file downloads.

It simplified all the wiring and runs much better than the same setup you have for DSL modem and wireless router. I also got a slight download boost. Something to consider for a future upgrade.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in Windows 7 goto start > type backup and restore

google "windows 7 backup and restore"

it seems that in vista, this was not included in the home versions, but with Windows 7 it is.

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, I've gotten the router working correctly now. The only thing left is the boot disc.

C

Connor_Graham

And thanks to whoever moved this. Now I'll have 2 threads that will get no responses....

Some people need to get hugged more often I guess....

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I've gotten the router working correctly now. The only thing left is the boot disc.
I guess I was not clear enough. you create the modern windows 7 repair disc from the backup and restore panel. it requires a blank CD.

you can also get old and custom boot disks from this site http://www.bootdisk.com/

you can get better help with Windows from this site: http://forums.mydigitallife.info

also, contrary to popular belief, Microsoft has tons of good information, forums etc on its own site

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/

the main thing with getting free computer help on forums is that #1 you need to be patient and #2 (may seem simple) things are always confusing until you understand, then its not confusing anymore

another thing, you said you got the router working, but you didn't tell us how. that's a big no-no. always come back and explain how you fixed something, so the next schmuck reading the thread 2 years from now might learn something.

And thanks to whoever moved this. Now I'll have 2 threads that will get no responses....

dude, you do realize you are talking about UO Stratics moderators, the most strict I've ever seen on the internet. I think they might actually have a ban quota they have to reach every day otherwise they lose their powers.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course it could be something not so sinister... like organization? When I want tech help I go to the tech help forum. I understand that you were not getting the help you wanted in the time frame you wanted it in, but you did get responses here. For the record it was not I who moved the post here from the UHall as I do not mod that forum, but if I did I most likely would have moved both posts as well.

Also, there are a lot of tech savvy people that use the Stratics forums and are willing to help. There are also a number of people that do not visit the UHall because of the nature of that particular forum.

My suggestion would be to PM one of the UHall mods or admins and ask them directly for their explanation. Mods are people/players too and we mod for the love of UO, Stratics and believe it or not to be helpful. We do have rules to follow, but no quota... I can assure you of that.

I am glad someone (ingsmsico) was able to clarify the built in functionality I mentioned in the other post.

B

Beer_Cayse

Tech Support forum and not UHall is the venue for these queries Connor. I'm 100% positive that is why it got moved here.

C

Connor_Graham

Tech Support forum and not UHall is the venue for these queries Connor. I'm 100% positive that is why it got moved here.
I honestly don't give a **** why it was moved. I'm in the process of studying for midterm exams and having comp problems right now is not a good thing.

Funny thing is, just like I said it would be, this thread has been ignored and I have not gotten the assistance I need.

So.....

Thanks for absolutely ****ing nothing. This site is really going down the ****ter fast.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I honestly don't give a **** why it was moved. I'm in the process of studying for midterm exams and having comp problems right now is not a good thing.

Funny thing is, just like I said it would be, this thread has been ignored and I have not gotten the assistance I need.

So.....

Thanks for absolutely ****ing nothing. This site is really going down the ****ter fast.
Ok - hang on there Connor. I completely understand your frustration, but Stratics is dedicated to MMO gaming, and this particular set of forums is dedicated to UO and UO tech support. Your questions are generic computer/networking issue that I am sure many of us have dealt with at one point or another, but not specific to UO. You HAVE received valid responses, but unfortunately they don't appear to have answered your questions.

I would suggest that if you are having computer/networking issue that are interfering with your studies, or whatever, that you try a site dedicated to supporting general tech support. There are TONS and you will most likely receive the support you are looking for and in a much faster time frame.

AGAIN - I understand your frustration, truly I do, but the attitude showing through your post/s and the last sentence really is uncalled for.

You get what you pay for and you have paid nothing and we are all fellow users/volunteers.

You might try download.com, tucows.com or sourceforge.net for boot disc creation software and I would head to D-Links site for support with your 1st issue.

I hope you get your questions answered/issues resolved.

Have a great weekend!

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
connor please explain exactly why you think you need a boot disc ?

something tells me you want a complete backup ready to boot from in case your system crashes and files get corrupt, not a boot disc. is this correct ?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
connor please explain exactly why you think you need a boot disc ?

something tells me you want a complete backup ready to boot from in case your system crashes and files get corrupt, not a boot disc. is this correct ?
/agree

I "think" what he is looking for is a clean image he can load should something go wonky, but I can't be 100% sure.

C

Connor_Graham

I already have Norton Ghost for that, I just don't know how to use it, and the manual for the software is thicker than a a copy of War and Peace....

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've ghosted HD's with Nortons

As far as Disk I use nlite (for XP) and Vlite for Vista/Win7

It isnt a backup, but allows you to make a custom installation disk. Very good for Gaming.

C

Connor_Graham

I've ghosted HD's with Nortons

As far as Disk I use nlite (for XP) and Vlite for Vista/Win7

It isnt a backup, but allows you to make a custom installation disk. Very good for Gaming.
Are those CD's or DVD's? I've got both.

C

Connor_Graham

As I figured.......

I guess I'll see if my college's tech support can help me, since this forum is a waste of time....

C

Connor_Graham

If using ghost 2003 or later:

1. go to http://1gighost.com/ed/jamiephiladelphia/boot98se.exe and download the win98se boot floppy image.
2. unzip it and make the floppy.
3. ghost will let you make a bootable, it will ask you for a boot floppy when the image burn starts. Feed it the boot floppy you made in step 2.
Why would I want to download anything to use a disc that's self-contained, and why would I want to download something for Win 98 when I have Win 7 x64?

Also, I don't even have a floppy drive, and haven't seen them included as standard on computers in quite a few years.

T

Tazar

You are quite welcome. U-Hall is not the place for this stuff and you knew it.. can you say WAYYYYYYYY off topic? I did leave you a nice forward from U-Hall to the thread so that anyone in U-hall who sees it can easily follow it here to help. If you are still unable to get help on it here, then you need to look at a computer-tech forum and not a UO-Forum.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you are using Windows 7, this is the easiest way to make a boot disk using native Windows 7:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-recovery-disk-boot-disk/

Norton ghost is not required. Rest of the post is also not required reading, it's just an FYI.

Why would I want to download anything to use a disc that's self-contained, and why would I want to download something for Win 98 when I have Win 7 x64?

Also, I don't even have a floppy drive, and haven't seen them included as standard on computers in quite a few years.
Actually, you got that answer because you specifically asked how to make a boot disk using Norton ghost... You see, to create a boot disk using Norton ghost, you first need a disk or image that's bootable.

Now, it doesn't actually need a floppy drive if you can get the image.

Win 98 boot disks (and hence the images) are very small and uncomplicated, so you can fit the rest of the CD/DVD with any other utilities you need (such as Norton ghost if it isn't already in a bootable CD).

It also doesn't need to access the registry to work and is the best there is if your system is so screwed up that you need to boot up from DOS. Only problem is it can't access NTFS volumes, so you will rely on whatever else is on your CD/DVD to access your files.

C

Connor_Graham

You are quite welcome. U-Hall is not the place for this stuff and you knew it.. can you say WAYYYYYYYY off topic? I did leave you a nice forward from U-Hall to the thread so that anyone in U-hall who sees it can easily follow it here to help. If you are still unable to get help on it here, then you need to look at a computer-tech forum and not a UO-Forum.
So bascially this particular forum is of no use at all.

Thanks for clarifying that. I won't waste my time anymore. So much for all that community BS that you guys are always spouting off about. I'll make sure and inform my friends not to waste their time on Stratics anymore, as I will be doing for the most part myself.

I hope you guys enjoy the loss of revenue. I am one of, if not the, most active poster on the UO boards, and the loss of my posting and navigating through the forums (and the hits I do on all of the ads) will definitely be noticeable in the bottom line next month. The sheer rudeness and lack of caring that has been shown in this matter was the last straw for me. When they ask everyone at the next meeting what happened to reduce the revenue from the UO boards, you'll know what to tell them. :thumbup1:

Cya....

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for clarifying that. I won't waste my time anymore. So much for all that community BS that you guys are always spouting off about.
What am I? Chopped liver? See my post just above yours please.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:D I'm not one that gives up easily!

Ok, in case Connor has something against accessing other websites -

To create a recovery disk in Windows 7, go through the following steps:

1. Click Start Orb and go to Control Panel. Here, select Back up your computer under the System and Security option.
  2. From the left sidebar, select Create a system repair disk. Finally select your CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW drive from the new dialog window and hit Create Disc.
  3. It will start creating a disc instantly. Once complete, hit OK, label it, and save the disk in a safe location.
  4. The total file size of the recovery disk is 164MB which means you can burn it to a CD instead of DVD.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for clarifying that. I won't waste my time anymore. So much for all that community BS that you guys are always spouting off about. I'll make sure and inform my friends not to waste their time on Stratics anymore, as I will be doing for the most part myself.

I hope you guys enjoy the loss of revenue. I am one of, if not the, most active poster on the UO boards, and the loss of my posting and navigating through the forums (and the hits I do on all of the ads) will definitely be noticeable in the bottom line next month. The sheer rudeness and lack of caring that has been shown in this matter was the last straw for me. When they ask everyone at the next meeting what happened to reduce the revenue from the UO boards, you'll know what to tell them. :thumbup1:

Cya....

you must be really important to be so egotistical...

the real problem here Connor is you have no REAL experience with hardware or software. So when you tried to explain what you wanted, it took an act of congress to figure out what you really needed. On top of all that, you were explained in detail what to do and you reacted by getting angry. Do you get mad and angry at pilots and doctors and electricians because you can't do their jobs either ?

T

Tazar

Cya....
Actually - this forum is for UO-Tech - not for general tech - although the two often cross boundries with each other... And given that this thread was started in U-Hall and not even in the UO-tech forum, the ROC is clear:

T. All Forums have a main topic. When starting a new thread, make sure you do so in the proper Forum.
U-hall was not the place for it.

Again, to help you out, I did leave a forwarding marker in U-hall so that anyone there with knowledge could still see it and help should they choose.

I certainly do not have the knowledge to help in this case so I offered none. The members who frequent this forum have the knowledge and are willing to help - if you want it.

C

Connor_Graham

you must be really important to be so egotistical...
Not particularly. I just happen to know how much I navigate through these forums, and my post count proves that.

the real problem here Connor is you have no REAL experience with hardware or software
No, the problem here is that I had a brain fart and used the wrong term. Since I used to run a multi-million dollar audio visual company, and had almost 500 laptops that were in our inventory, I know a LOT about computers. Add to that the fact that I'm currently enrolled in college for an IT Security degree, and your statement seems.....welll......weak......

So when you tried to explain what you wanted, it took an act of congress to figure out what you really needed.
One post is an act of congress? Wow. Remind me not to visit your town.

On top of all that, you were explained in detail what to do and you reacted by getting angry. Do you get mad and angry at pilots and doctors and electricians because you can't do their jobs either ?
I was explained to in detail to do something that isn't what I asked for in the first place, and I wasn't angry, I was frustrated.

C

Connor_Graham

Give up, I did. He doesn't want help, he wants someone to do it for him.

rolleyes:
If I wanted someone to do it for me, I'd have paid the store I bought the computer from to do it. Since I didn't, and am asking for direction on HOW TO DO IT MYSELF you might want to rethink what you said.

C

Connor_Graham

:D I'm not one that gives up easily!

Ok, in case Connor has something against accessing other websites -

To create a recovery disk in Windows 7, go through the following steps:

1. Click Start Orb and go to Control Panel. Here, select Back up your computer under the System and Security option.
  2. From the left sidebar, select Create a system repair disk. Finally select your CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW drive from the new dialog window and hit Create Disc.
  3. It will start creating a disc instantly. Once complete, hit OK, label it, and save the disk in a safe location.
  4. The total file size of the recovery disk is 164MB which means you can burn it to a CD instead of DVD.
And this will make a backup disk so if I get hit by a virus or my hard drive crashes I can just insert the disk and it will reload my OS and all of the programs that are on the hard drive? That's what I'm needing, and if Win 7 ahs the functionality built in that would be even better.

C

Connor_Graham

Now, that all said, I will be logging back out of Stratics, and unless Harlequin has an answer for my last question, you won't be seeing me here anytime soon. The attitudes from Stratics personnel lately has been unbelievable. If it keeps going like it is you guys are going to lose your regulars, and with it the profit margin. You've already lost a large percentage of the regulars, and according to your own manager the site is barely breaking even. Keep up with the general attitudes around here and eventually the site will go bye-bye.

Cya *waves on the way out the door*

C

canary

Now, that all said, I will be logging back out of Stratics, and unless Harlequin has an answer for my last question, you won't be seeing me here anytime soon. The attitudes from Stratics personnel lately has been unbelievable. If it keeps going like it is you guys are going to lose your regulars, and with it the profit margin. You've already lost a large percentage of the regulars, and according to your own manager the site is barely breaking even. Keep up with the general attitudes around here and eventually the site will go bye-bye.

Cya *waves on the way out the door*
So... you are ticked that the mods did their jobs and moved your post to the correct forum? Uhm, wow. OK.

As far as 'attitude', I think many will agree that you have displayed more than your fair share to others around here and almost had (imo and many others) carte blanche regarding your posting style in reference to others. In other words, you have been (imo) downright nasty to numerous posters on Stratics. I do find it disturbing that when you are asked to follow the rules that others must do that you show such condescension, animosity and judgment towards the Stratics staff. That's very not cool, and you should be ashamed at such behavior.

No one is keeping you here, so if you wish, by all means leave. You asked a general computer question. In fact, this isn't the first time you have done so, Connor, and had it on UHall. It is just the first time that they have chosen to move what you posted to the correct forum. UHall is no more or less UO Stratics than this forum, it is merely the proper place for where THIS thread should be.

That said, if you are still having difficulty understanding what to do I would merely advise you to seek out an actual computer related forum with your query. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links so I'm sure that googling the items you need will more than be sufficient.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this will make a backup disk so if I get hit by a virus or my hard drive crashes I can just insert the disk and it will reload my OS and all of the programs that are on the hard drive? That's what I'm needing, and if Win 7 ahs the functionality built in that would be even better.
Yes, windows 7 has that builtin as well. 2 step process, first create boot disk that allows you to boot up and run the restore program. Second, use restore program to restore from image.

The steps in my previous post creates a recovery disk with many utilities that will allow you to boot up and fix many issues plus most importantly for you, run the windows restore program.

To do a full system restore from an image, you will also need to create 1 more disk that contains an image of your drive using the same builtin windows 7 backup and restore function.

For detailed steps on creating the image, see this page

http://www.intowindows.com/using-windows-7-image-backup-tool/

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, the problem here is that I had a brain fart and used the wrong term. Since I used to run a multi-million dollar audio visual company, and had almost 500 laptops that were in our inventory, I know a LOT about computers. Add to that the fact that I'm currently enrolled in college for an IT Security degree, and your statement seems.....welll......weak......

did I say egotistical ? I misspoke :popcorn:

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are those CD's or DVD's? I've got both.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I was deathly ill irl from insecticide poisoning.

To answer the question both formats can be used depending on which version you use.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I was deathly ill irl from insecticide poisoning.

To answer the question both formats can be used depending on which version you use.
feel better man sorry to hear that... how did it happen ?

C

Connor_Graham

FYI everyone, making a backup/recovery disc is nowhere near as involved as any of you have made it out to be. The process involves clicking on the start button, then All Programs, then Recovery Manager, then Recovery Disc Creation. After that it runs by itself, and with my comp took a whole 20 minutes.

Thanks for nothing.

Harlequin- I appreciate your honest efforts to help. It's good to know that there are at least some people here that aren't complete asshats, few and far between that they are.

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this just proves my point....

I hope the air doesn't stink too badly down there in the cesspool with the rest of the asshats. Just don't drop the soap...
The level of vitriol directed at people trying to help you? Absolutely shameful...

B

Beer_Cayse

vitriol - few people recognize that word. I was thinking along the lines of "spoiled brat with a chip on his shoulder". Longer but many will understand that.

his second lashout at those trying to assist put him on my ignore list so it will be blissfully quiet.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Harlequin- I appreciate your honest efforts to help. It's good to know that there are at least some people here that aren't complete asshats, few and far between that they are.
No worries.

I can see that you were frustrated due to pc problems during your exam.

I wasn't able to chip in earlier as someone in the immediate family was hospitalized and had to undergo major surgery.

Lefty mentioned he was poisoned.

Bad things seem to come in tandem eh?

I guess what I am actually trying to say here is that people normally won't consider that there might be reasons that others are being cranky, unreasonable, snide or unhelpful. For all you know, they might be going through rough times as well.

Yes, it is no excuse, but some understanding and tolerance would go a long way and make it a better world, yes?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI everyone, making a backup/recovery disc is nowhere near as involved as any of you have made it out to be. The process involves clicking on the start button, then All Programs, then Recovery Manager, then Recovery Disc Creation. After that it runs by itself, and with my comp took a whole 20 minutes.
Great that you managed to get this done! You wouldn't happen to be running a HP/Compaq comp would you? If I recall correctly, Recovery Manager is part of the Hp/Compaq preloaded software suite (even in windows XP), and not part of Windows 7.

C

Connor_Graham

Great that you managed to get this done! You wouldn't happen to be running a HP/Compaq comp would you? If I recall correctly, Recovery Manager is part of the Hp/Compaq preloaded software suite (even in windows XP), and not part of Windows 7.
It is an HP, specifically the HP 210F, and it has Windows 7 with the Recovery Manager as part of the preloaded software. This is the most recent model they had at the time, and actually had to pull it from the back because it was so new they hadn't even had time to put a demo model out on the shelves yet.